Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first town you visit after the main city has the Nickname Evaluator in the Pokemon Center. He'll offer to rename your pokemon after evaluating their nickname.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mav-san posted:

People who chose Froakie - does Greninja actually learn Nasty Plot? (not sure if it was already confirmed)

Mine hasn't and its level 50- if it does it must be at a high level.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Wonder Trade is pretty hit or miss. I like to put up something that's actually good (I've been hatching the starters and using them) and chaining what I get again and again until I get something either equally as good or that I don't have.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Just before bed I decided I'd see what Super Training is all about... next thing I know an hour and a half later, I have a maxxed out Farfetch'd, a Dawn Stone and a Stun Stone I cant use plus a bunch of crazy stuff like PP Ups and Lemonades.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

mastajake posted:

Wonder Trade is pretty hit or miss. I like to put up something that's actually good (I've been hatching the starters and using them) and chaining what I get again and again until I get something either equally as good or that I don't have.

I've been leaving something in my party's sixth slot until it gets to the average level of my party and then trading it. I've generally gotten good things, although I did get a bidoof once.

Also, does anyone know what tipping does other than make me feel bad when I accidentally hit "No?"

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 13, 2013

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first town you visit after the main city has the Nickname Evaluator in the Pokemon Center. He'll offer to rename your pokemon after evaluating their nickname.

Is it possible to do this with a event torchic?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"I'm sorry. There's a blackout. You can't go any farther until it's fixed."

I see other people walking behind you, let me through you jerk. :argh:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Flopsy posted:

Is it possible to do this with a event torchic?

Nope. Also goddamnit I couldn't find the Dusk Stone anywhere :argh:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What level does Clauncher learn Crabhammer? I want a Clawitzer pretty bad.

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.
Is it normal to lose your Wifi connection when going into Sleep mode in this game? Every time either my wife or I open our 3ds' we get a communication error and have to reconnect/save.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A French guy just challenged me to a battle. He only had 2nd stage evos and other unremarkable Pokémon.

I almost felt bad when I wiped his entire team with my Mega Gengar.
Almost.

e: ^^^ Yeah, I've always had that too

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Comrade Flynn posted:

Don't really play these games much...Steelix seems pretty awesome though? Confirm/deny?

Steelix is pretty awesome, especially in the lower tiers.

Also he's a gigantic metal snake, what more could you want?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Are there just not that many gyms in the early cities? I feel like I've been through 5 or so cities by now and only have the first badge.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The torchic they give you doesn't mes around.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Junubee posted:

Is it normal to lose your Wifi connection when going into Sleep mode in this game? Every time either my wife or I open our 3ds' we get a communication error and have to reconnect/save.

Yes. It's a really annoying flaw that I think is in the 3DS itself and not the game. Nintendo has made strides, but still doesn't quite know how to handle networking.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Good Citizen posted:

Are there just not that many gyms in the early cities? I feel like I've been through 5 or so cities by now and only have the first badge.

Yeah the second one is quite a few cities in.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

It takes awhile to get to the 2nd badge, then it speeds up a bit to the third. I'm not far enough to speak to the others though.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

So I just fished up a Gyarados in the tiny pond on Route 3. :shepface:

And also Nthing the annoyance at the 3DS disconnecting from the internet when you enter the home menu. When I was doing my Friend Safari tests I couldn't stay online because I was constantly going back to the Home menu.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RoyalScion posted:

It takes awhile to get to the 2nd badge, then it speeds up a bit to the third. I'm not far enough to speak to the others though.

I kinda like it this way though. Feels like you're actually rambling along through the countryside on your own little adventure and you just happen to stop in on a town that has a gym along the way, rather than just moving from town-with-a-gym 5 to town-with-a-gym 6.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Everything about Laverre Town and its surroundings owns.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get up, should I progress the storyline? NOPE. Gotta keep playing Super Training and keep cranking out Dawn Stones and Dusk Stones.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How long does it take for an egg to appear, and how long does it take to level up?
I'd like to breed a Mawile without it loving up my movelist.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

david puddy posted:

Nope. Also goddamnit I couldn't find the Dusk Stone anywhere :argh:

You can get one from the Super Training. Max out a pokemon's EVs and you unlock 12 extra minigames that in addition to punching bags can also give you more items, including evolution stones. The Aegislash one has a chance of dropping a Dusk stone, the better you do the higher the chance. The Aegislash balloon is probably the first balloon that will actually give you trouble as well, the game's not kidding when it calls the level "watch out for that second half".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If I evolve my Helioptile does it still learn all moves via level up, or is he more like Whimsicott and only learns a select few post-evolution?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Alkydere posted:

You can get one from the Super Training. Max out a pokemon's EVs and you unlock 12 extra minigames that in addition to punching bags can also give you more items, including evolution stones. The Aegislash one has a chance of dropping a Dusk stone, the better you do the higher the chance. The Aegislash balloon is probably the first balloon that will actually give you trouble as well, the game's not kidding when it calls the level "watch out for that second half".

I looked all through the cave where it was supposed to be and didn't find it so I might try this tomorrow I guess :(

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
What is a good way to raise a Pokemon's happiness? Would Pokemon-Amie work?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Revol posted:

Yes. It's a really annoying flaw that I think is in the 3DS itself and not the game. Nintendo has made strides, but still doesn't quite know how to handle networking.

The whole point of sleep mode in mobile devices is to conserve battery life. That is why wifi turns off. It's like this in all mobile devices minus smartphones. It's not a flaw, it's intentional. Stress Passing still works because that's a pretty low power feature.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So this is dumb but do we know of a good counter to fairy? My friend is kicking my rear end with Sylveon and the seemingly unstoppable Gardevoir.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Evil Eagle posted:

So this is dumb but do we know of a good counter to fairy? My friend is kicking my rear end with Sylveon and the seemingly unstoppable Gardevoir.

Fire or Poison should end his adorable fairy rampage.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DupaDupa posted:

What is a good way to raise a Pokemon's happiness? Would Pokemon-Amie work?

No, they track separate stats for some reason.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
So, before I evolve my Doublade, does anyone know if there are any good level up moves it has that Aegislash doesn't?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Doublade with Iron Head :black101:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lightball doesn't exist. I've caught like 20+ pikachus now. I've given them all generic person names like "Bob" and "Fred" for wondertrade fodder.

I'm tempted to just say screw it and go raichu.

Worth noting, pikachus are definitely more common in the morning/day then evening/night.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

david puddy posted:

Doublade with Iron Head :black101:

When does Doublade learn Iron Head? Mine only knows Gyro Ball which only has 5 pp.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

They're weak to Poison and Steel, while Poison, Steel and Fire resist their attacks.

As pointed out, Honedge is great at dealing with them, and I'm currently tearing them apart with my Mawile and Klinklang.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just read you can only breed one shiny pokemon per game. Is that correct?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So I just ran into 4 different types of flabebe in a row, caught them all and one of them was modest. If only I had that luck with my scatterbug. :cry:

Speaking of which, I plan on gathering a mess of scatterbugs from all over the world! I currently have a french and japanese scatterbug, as well as my floridian modern vivillon. I've been lucking with wondertrade so far, but no one is naming their scatterbugs and it's killing me.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Okay, I'm stopping this before it gets out of control. Got two Dusk Stones and two Dawn Stones, any goons want any? Would love a Ralts but honestly just take them off my hands.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Honedge! Being 'new' (as in haven't played since school) to Pokemon I don't know why my sword Pokeman is invincible, but I do love how all it's attribute points got dumped into offence with lots of different attack moves. I went through the third (fighting) gym with just my level-20 Honedge, slaughtering everything in my path up all the way up to level 30 :black101: Half the fighting Pokemen went down in one hit and I don't think Honedge even took any damage.

Actually I really dislike fighting Pokemon, they seem to tank like a paper bag and do no damage most of the time. After my Pancham kept getting one-shot KO'ed at the start of fights I put him up for wonder trade... and got a Pancham.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The last time I was really into Pokemon I was 12, but I mean come on actually being able to catch all Pokemon without leaving my house plus Super Blastoise is just too enticing to ignore so now I'm at 4% download of Y.

• Locked thread