Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

fade5 posted:

Since we live in Texas, you can chalk us up as the white part of the push to turn Texas blue. We're small in numbers, but yes, we do exist.:v:

I guess that's like my family. I'm amazed that my dad isn't a raging conservative nut. He fits the demographic perfectly. He's wealthy and white, he works in the private sector, he's a small business owner, and he has an engineering background. He's around the age of the average Fox News viewer, and lives in one of the deepest red areas of Texas. Our house is surrounded by churches on every corner, and yet he's an atheist who hates Republicans. He thinks they're a bunch of loving idiots and he argues with crazy tea party types out at his work all the time.

Reading this thread has made me feel lucky to not have a crazy, abusive conservative dad. It's easy to laugh at Mark Levin shouting in a Master Shake voice but then I realize that these people do so much real damage to the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'You're an assassin now for Videodrome. They can program you. They can play you like a videotape recorder. They can make you do what they want...' - Bianca Oblivion

Cronenberg is a true visionary.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jazerus posted:

The stereotype of Russian communists pre-revolution was similar to that of the "holiday-ruining conservative", as well.

Not just Russian!

Mao posted:

To let things slide for the sake of peace and friendship when a person has clearly gone wrong, and refrain from principled argument because he is an old acquaintance, a fellow townsman, a schoolmate, a close friend, a loved one, an old colleague or old subordinate. Or to touch on the matter lightly instead of going into it thoroughly, so as to keep on good terms. The result is that both the organization and the individual are harmed. This is one type of liberalism.

To hear incorrect views without rebutting them and even to hear counter-revolutionary remarks without reporting them, but instead to take them calmly as if nothing had happened. This is a sixth type.

To be among the masses and fail to conduct propaganda and agitation or speak at meetings or conduct investigations and inquiries among them, and instead to be indifferent to them and show no concern for their well-being, forgetting that one is a Communist and behaving as if one were an ordinary non-Communist. This is a seventh type.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
For the most part my family is pretty chilled out about politics, and I suspect that in my direct family I might not actually be the most left-leaning individual, but when we were last at a big gathering in New York we had to be careful, because there are a few people who work in the healthcare and financial industries, so they're liberal about lots of things but there are a couple of very sensitive specific issues (single-payer certainly got some unexpected opinions.) Also, my father's extended family used to be from Texas, and he has a story about a great-aunt (maybe?) of his being driven from Newark Airport and mentioning "them black boys caused all that trouble here, didn't they?"

You have to get to like my second cousins or so for really fun arguments. We haven't mentioned politics in ten years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pope Guilty posted:

Not just Russian!

gently caress Mao. He made Stalin's purges look restrained and discriminate.

Also didn't know poo poo about economics, didn't much care that he didn't know poo poo, and managed to largely flub the Great Leap Forward. Fortunately, his allies and lieutenants were not total morons.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Pope Guilty posted:

Not just Russian!

CNN is a bastion of liberalism. :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Glad my parents were liberal as hell, although we live in Canada. My dad's the more political of the two and We pretty much have always agreed on 99% of things, with the being that he's not really for public sector unions and he's more conservative on aboriginal issues. The only problem is that our family loves to argue/debate and our political conversations pretty much boil down to the family being amazed at some horrible republican idea/undertaking.

I really find it hard to imagine that people can get so worked up that it can divide families. I would have thought people knew how to prioritize things in life :smith:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Fox has been telling us for years. Time for them to drop the mask and go all in on Maoism :unsmigghh:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Monaghan posted:

I really find it hard to imagine that people can get so worked up that it can divide families. I would have thought people knew how to prioritize things in life :smith:

Those of us who call it a cult aren't being hyperbolic. I guess it's difficult to believe is real if you've never lived in the southern US or some parts of the midwest or wherever, but there's a very rigid ingroup/outgroup element to the overall culture to where it becomes apparent pretty early on whether you're part of the club or not. Stories from people who left the culture sound completely ridiculous, but it's definitely a thing which exists.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Monaghan posted:

Glad my parents were liberal as hell, although we live in Canada. My dad's the more political of the two and We pretty much have always agreed on 99% of things, with the being that he's not really for public sector unions and he's more conservative on aboriginal issues. The only problem is that our family loves to argue/debate and our political conversations pretty much boil down to the family being amazed at some horrible republican idea/undertaking.

The problem is that contemporary conservatism has decided that you need to be conservative at all costs. There are two kinds of people; True Conservatives and The Enemy. It encourages casting out anybody that disagrees as they are not only wrong but liberalism is actively working against the truth, the truth of course being conservatism.

Your family is conservatives not blood.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

It really, really is though.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Orange Devil posted:

It really, really is though.

Assuming you mean liberal in the Phil Ochs sense.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The problem is where Fox News and talk radio and their constant 24/7 message become more real and important than actual blood relative family members. At this point, I think the right wing media message is certainly more "real" as an entity to American right wingers than the actual GOP or any of its elected officeholders (with the possible exception of Ted Cruz since he seems determined to embody the ideals of wingnut media as closely as he can).

It's like that joke from an old Simpsons episode where Homer refers to TV as his "teacher, friend... secret lover" or something.

I've been surprised that the Candian right wingers seem just as angry and crazy, if not even more so, than their American counterparts. I thought this couldn't be achieved without a steady suckling at the Fox News teat. Do the major cities show Fox, is Rush on the radio there, or are there home grown :canada: versions?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Strawman posted:

Assuming you mean liberal in the Phil Ochs sense.

I mean it in the same sense Mao used it. Notably that's also the way it's historically been used everywhere outside the US at least. You know, the actual meaning of the word.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Zwabu posted:

The problem is where Fox News and talk radio and their constant 24/7 message become more real and important than actual blood relative family members. At this point, I think the right wing media message is certainly more "real" as an entity to American right wingers than the actual GOP or any of its elected officeholders (with the possible exception of Ted Cruz since he seems determined to embody the ideals of wingnut media as closely as he can).

It's like that joke from an old Simpsons episode where Homer refers to TV as his "teacher, friend... secret lover" or something.

I've been surprised that the Candian right wingers seem just as angry and crazy, if not even more so, than their American counterparts. I thought this couldn't be achieved without a steady suckling at the Fox News teat. Do the major cities show Fox, is Rush on the radio there, or are there home grown :canada: versions?

Up here, Sun News is the channel that would be most analogous to Fox News, and Ezra Levant is our Bill O'Reilly. Thankfully (despite their best efforts to lobby for it), cable isn't required to put it in their basic lineup yet.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Zwabu posted:

Teacher, mother, secret lover.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Orange Devil posted:

I mean it in the same sense Mao used it. Notably that's also the way it's historically been used everywhere outside the US at least. You know, the actual meaning of the word.
You thankfully responded quickly and this isn't an attack it's just a request: next time you want to do the "actually X IS liberal" please just include the punchline in the same post so you don't leave the pandora's box of semantics open.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The problem is that contemporary conservatism has decided that you need to be conservative at all costs. There are two kinds of people; True Conservatives and The Enemy. It encourages casting out anybody that disagrees as they are not only wrong but liberalism is actively working against the truth, the truth of course being conservatism.

Your family is conservatives not blood.

A case study of Tea Party dynamics in action:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/12/3275839/christensen-why-dc-is-broken.html

JerksNeedLoveToo
Nov 12, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Now that it's available for purchase their last ditch attempt to stop people from realizing what it is and what it actually does is to tell them to just not even go to the site. They also think if young people don't sign up it's going to tank the whole thing...good thing they took a lesson from the last two elections and learned how to talk to people under the age of 50...or not.

There were congress-peeps who were in on this effort for a bit but they don't want to say Obamacare anymore because of the poll numbers on what people think about a government shutdown caused by yet another Obamacare tantrum.

I think that's part of it, but it's you can't discount the fact that the GOP is finally showing how deeply fractured it is. It's the establishment Republicans vs. the Tea Partiers, and Fox News by and large has been on the side of the Tea Partiers. By playing up 'OBAMACARE BAD!', it continues to give support to the Tea Partiers and undermines any moderates trying to come to an agreement with Democrats.

On a different note:

fade5 posted:

we all voted for both House Representative Joaquin Castro and our Mayor Julian Castro, who both won their races.

When I first looked at that picture, I thought "boy, those two look an awful lot alike!" and felt bad for being one of those 'all those people look the same' racists.

Then I looked it up, and Joaquin Castro and Julian Castro are brothers. Twin brothers. So now I'm not sure if I'm racist or just stupid (probably stupid).

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What type of commercials do you guys get on your local conservative talk AM stations? I know it's very regional and depends on the station itself but I constantly hear:

- Some miracle dogfood called "Dinovite" that will make your dog live forever and by the way gently caress those veterinarians am I right?
- Creepy Amberin commercial with men talking about "how much energy" their wives have in the same way people in the Dinovite commercials talk about their dogs.
- Less creepy Amberin commercial with women's testimonials.
- Feedthepig commercials which always come off as slightly condescending. Listen to how dumb these poors are!
- And of course your typical buy silver/buy gold/life lock fare.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Previa_fun posted:

What type of commercials do you guys get on your local conservative talk AM stations? I know it's very regional and depends on the station itself but I constantly hear:

- Some miracle dogfood called "Dinovite" that will make your dog live forever and by the way gently caress those veterinarians am I right?
- Creepy Amberin commercial with men talking about "how much energy" their wives have in the same way people in the Dinovite commercials talk about their dogs.
- Feedthepig commercials which always come off as slightly condescending. Listen to how dumb these poors are!

I've been hearing a lot more PSAs during Rush. I think this means that he's having trouble attracting advertisers in my market? :unsmith:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Nice Davis posted:

I've been hearing a lot more PSAs during Rush. I think this means that he's having trouble attracting advertisers in my market? :unsmith:

Oh yeah; I occasionally hear about mentoring kids so they don't drop out of school, getting hugs from Smokey The Bear, and even Levar Burton spouting :siren: Liberal Propaganda :siren: about reading books.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Previa_fun posted:

Oh yeah; I occasionally hear about mentoring kids so they don't drop out of school, getting hugs from Smokey The Bear, and even Levar Burton spouting :siren: Liberal Propaganda :siren: about reading books.

He should be playing Beck's PSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVxeGL4kntU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Glenn Beck PSA: Emotionally traumatize your children so they will think violence is always the answer and go on a mass killing spree so the NRA can have a National Guns Save Lives day.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Phone posted:

Glenn Beck PSA: Emotionally traumatize your children so they will think violence is always the answer and go on a mass killing spree so the NRA can have a National Guns Save Lives day.

Ironically, that's where the spree takes place. :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ironically, that's where the spree takes place. :v:

:thejoke:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

deepshock posted:

Up here, Sun News is the channel that would be most analogous to Fox News, and Ezra Levant is our Bill O'Reilly. Thankfully (despite their best efforts to lobby for it), cable isn't required to put it in their basic lineup yet.

In the UK :britain: our television news is relatively non-biased* but our newspapers are generally frothing at the mouth and cater to our home grown conservatives. They range from the Daily Star,Rabid supporters of the far-right EDL who want anyone with a dark skin out of the country, through the Daily Mail supporters of UKIP who want foreigners out of the country and Britain out of the EU**. Through to the Daily Telegraph which spends most of it's time raging at our current conservative government for not being conservative enough.

*well relentlessly pro-capitalist/government neo-liberals with a truth is in the middle attitude and if it bleeds it leads led operation but you know what I mean.
**Also famously responsible for the infamous "Hurrah for the Blackshirts" headline in the 1930s and recently tried to smear the communist father of the leader of our right of centre "left wing" party as a a man who hated Britain.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

McDowell posted:

'You're an assassin now for Videodrome. They can program you. They can play you like a videotape recorder. They can make you do what they want...' - Bianca Oblivion

Cronenberg is a true visionary.

I'm less frightened of a world where the majority of the population is trapped in a right-wing echo chamber than I am of a world where the majority of elected officials live in the same chamber, which is where we are at this point.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Ferrosol posted:

In the UK :britain: our television news is relatively non-biased* but our newspapers are generally frothing at the mouth and cater to our home grown conservatives. They range from the Daily Star,Rabid supporters of the far-right EDL who want anyone with a dark skin out of the country, through the Daily Mail supporters of UKIP who want foreigners out of the country and Britain out of the EU**. Through to the Daily Telegraph which spends most of it's time raging at our current conservative government for not being conservative enough.

*well relentlessly pro-capitalist/government neo-liberals with a truth is in the middle attitude and if it bleeds it leads led operation but you know what I mean.
**Also famously responsible for the infamous "Hurrah for the Blackshirts" headline in the 1930s and recently tried to smear the communist father of the leader of our right of centre "left wing" party as a a man who hated Britain.

You've got to love the irony of a fascist newspaper smearing a polish Jew who fled the Nazis and fought for us during WWII as anti-English based on him accusing the English of being too nationalistic in his diary when he was 17. It's not as if they just flirted with fascism either, they backed Le Pen in 2012

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Those of us who call it a cult aren't being hyperbolic. I guess it's difficult to believe is real if you've never lived in the southern US or some parts of the midwest or wherever, but there's a very rigid ingroup/outgroup element to the overall culture to where it becomes apparent pretty early on whether you're part of the club or not. Stories from people who left the culture sound completely ridiculous, but it's definitely a thing which exists.

Many small communities in the south view people who leave the town to go to college as 'abandoning their roots.' There is this bizarre and extremely insular "us vs them" mentality that dominates the culture and politics of most of the southern states. They are anti government (only when its Democrats), anti education, extremely religious, and anti-multiculturalism (Keep America American etc.) and have some of the highest rates of substance abuse in the country.

Given the relative poverty and terrible state services any rational person would look at the situation and wonder why these people don't support the Democratic Party who want to raise taxes on middle/upper middle class, expand social services to help low income people, and generally try to improve the quality of life for the poorer people living in America. Instead since the Civil Rights Act defined the parties as 'pro-integration/equality' vs 'only minorities are drains on the govt' and since then a steady drip of anti-intellectual, faith, and values/morals talk radio, editorials, and 24 hour Fox News has created this siege mentality where conservatives believe that the unwashed hordes are at the gates and the democrats keeping trying to open them to let of flood of immigrants, welfare queens, and lazy drug smoking liberals destroying the Founding Fathers great legacy.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Previa_fun posted:

D I N O V I T E

DINOVITE DOT COM

This haunts my every waking hour, and when I sleep this is what I dream about.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Strawman posted:

It's not as if they just flirted with fascism either, they backed Le Pen in 2012

"No loving way," I thought naively. Then I googled it, and, welp :suicide:

Incidentally, if you type "daily mail endorses" into google, the first suggested result is Le Pen. The second result? :hitler:

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
At the family's hey have huckabee on with some tour leader for yellowstone saying the park rangers are like the gestapo cause if they cross the barriers they could be arrested

before that they had a lady saying her insurance went up, and she doesnt want medicade she wants to work but there isnt enough work and it all obama's fault.

aagh its so maddening.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

JerksNeedLoveToo posted:

When I first looked at that picture, I thought "boy, those two look an awful lot alike!" and felt bad for being one of those 'all those people look the same' racists.

Then I looked it up, and Joaquin Castro and Julian Castro are brothers. Twin brothers. So now I'm not sure if I'm racist or just stupid (probably stupid).
Yep, they're twins, which is always funny to point out to people who aren't from San Antonio. And yes, they have switched places without people realizing it, although in that case it wasn't intentional.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Can someone explain right-wing truthers to me, please? These are people who think 9/11 was staged, yet absolutely love Republicans.

They're similar to the Log Cabin Republicans in terms of "wait, what?"

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Can someone explain right-wing truthers to me, please? These are people who think 9/11 was staged, yet absolutely love Republicans.

In my experience it's conspiracy theorists who really, really hate abortion and will vote GOP since they're so against it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Abortion yeah, and the anti-vaccination and survivalism circles. They tend to be single-issue voters from what I've seen.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Mr Interweb posted:

Bush and co. were neocons, ergo, they weren't TRUE conservatives. Though lots of people think this without the 9/11 trutherism.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Blarghalt posted:

In my experience it's conspiracy theorists who really, really hate abortion and will vote GOP since they're so against it.

That would explain the Ron Paul love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
If it's not already the belief of a few nutjobs, I should spread a conspiracy along the lines of "Obama orchestrated 9/11 in order to defame Republicans and win his elections", just to see how many people would honestly believe it.