Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Funkmaster General posted:

Speed. Back up and hit it from further away.

Dang, I should have figured. That did it! Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

yaoi prophet posted:

Is there any way to get the EV-reducing berries? It'd be nice if there was a way to touch up EVs without having to reset all of them.

Yes. When you plant berries in your berry field, adjacent trees of different types can cause "mutations" that generate additional types of berries. Pecha trees that are planted adjacent to Oran trees generate Qualot berries. I havn't found any other combos yet, but now that I know how it works I'm staggering my berry placement instead of doing all of one type in a row.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Edit: Woops, quote is not edit.

I have a question here: do the Berry trees have flowers?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Y'all can suck it.

The scariest part was it was in a horde, so I had to be super careful not to target it.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
The amount of shinies is blowing my mind. Maybe this will finally be the game where I find one!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^^ I've found one, and I've never even seen one before. I guess they improved the chances. I hope I can breed a Shiny Mawile that way!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Is it a shiny? Gulpin is such a pale shade that I have trouble telling whether that's green or blue.

Someone mentioned that the colors look a bit washed out. I believe they're purposely trying to emulate the anime.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I just beat the Team Flare dudes at the Power Plant now I have absolutely no clue where to go or what I should be doing. Any tips? None of the NPCs seemed to indicate anything...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
guys guys guys

Goomy can learn Thunderbolt. :getin:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So hey, Clauncher's Attack-focused, right? I'd really like to use him as my Surfer, but if it's gonna go to waste due to a subpar Special Attack stat...

It doesn't help that I caught a Remoraid before I found Clauncher. Octillery's one of my favorites, even if his stats aren't amazing.

I probably need a physical guy or two, to be fair. Just... something that isn't Lucario. Used him once, didn't care for him. How's Machamp? Wonderfully stupid?

SilverWyvern
Feb 23, 2013
So I have some questions about the Friend Safari. When do you get access to it? And can you catch the Pokemon with any pokeball, or is it safari ball only?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

PumpkinBat posted:

Is it a shiny? Gulpin is such a pale shade that I have trouble telling whether that's green or blue.

Someone mentioned that the colors look a bit washed out. I believe they're purposely trying to emulate the anime.

Compared to the sprite-based games the colors on some are super washed out. Case in point, the first time I saw a Zigzagoon I thought it was a shiny.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I just beat the Team Flare dudes at the Power Plant now I have absolutely no clue where to go or what I should be doing. Any tips? None of the NPCs seemed to indicate anything...

Go south through the gate. All of Luminoise city is open to you, including the next gym.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Caught my very first shiny ever. I love this game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ChibiSoma posted:

So hey, Clauncher's Attack-focused, right? I'd really like to use him as my Surfer, but if it's gonna go to waste due to a subpar Special Attack stat...

It doesn't help that I caught a Remoraid before I found Clauncher. Octillery's one of my favorites, even if his stats aren't amazing.

I probably need a physical guy or two, to be fair. Just... something that isn't Lucario. Used him once, didn't care for him. How's Machamp? Wonderfully stupid?

Clauncher and especially Clawitzer are incredibly Sp. Attack focus. Like 130 base focused.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

zari-gani posted:

drat, that's sick. That might be one of my favorite shinies ever.

I hate all you guys who have never caught shinies before and are finding them now. I've caught two before but I haven't run into any yet this game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anyone know if Litwick can be caught in X, if so what route?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Which town do I head to in the postgame to upgrade my mega ring?

Oh hey I just got a skull fossil by rock smashing in the fossil cave. I guess its because i've beaten the e4.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
So I'm going back to get things before the Elite 4. Where on earth is Cut?

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So is Joltik obtainable in this game or will I have to trade someone for it?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Unbound posted:

So I'm going back to get things before the Elite 4. Where on earth is Cut?

In the mansion/palace's backyard.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

zari-gani posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is the tits. I want one.

Why does the game sometimes ask me if I want to do a link battle? No one seems to be challenging me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

Why does the game sometimes ask me if I want to do a link battle? No one seems to be challenging me.

I think it's just trying to encourage people to use the online features. I get pop ups about battles/trading/wonder trading sometimes

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Are the fossil's genders assigned when you pick it up or when you give it to the guy or is it still a mystery. I want this stupid female Amaura and I've reset like a dozen times now.

Male pokemon are trash. Put them in the garbage where they belong.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Zaggitz posted:

Anyone know if Litwick can be caught in X, if so what route?

My Pokedex tells me it appears in the "lost hotel" in the Y version. I doubt it's a version exclusive.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Are the fossil's genders assigned when you pick it up or when you give it to the guy or is it still a mystery. I want this stupid female Amaura and I've reset like a dozen times now.

Male pokemon are trash. Put them in the garbage where they belong.

When you hand them in, if it's anything like previous games. Fossil pokemon are 87% male, FYI.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Gaseous Snake posted:

In the mansion/palace's backyard.

Cool thank you. One more question, where are the Move Tutor and Move Deleter?

Kidswhoneedjobs
Jan 16, 2013
just ko'd a shiny dugtrio I feel numb inside :smith:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

My Pokedex tells me it appears in the "lost hotel" in the Y version. I doubt it's a version exclusive.

I can confirm that Litwick is catchable in X as well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh god, a marauding group of nosepass showed up, trapped my Krilie with block, and then slowly beat him to death :stonk:

I really don't get why Hordes only give you one pokemon. I thought they would be like wild triple battles.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
Okay, where the hell can I change my appearance after the first hat shop in newbie town?

I'm between gyms 1 & 2, minding my own completionist business, but all I've seen since that first shop is the Hairdresser in Not-Paris and the "you're too poor to come in our fashion boutique" shop.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

When you hand them in, if it's anything like previous games. Fossil pokemon are 87% male, FYI.
ah HA got it! Whew just when I had GIVEN UP HOPE.

Dreams really do come true.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I really shouldn't be reading this thread, it's making me so excited but I don't get paid until Friday :(

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

qxan posted:

It sucks having those lingering feelings: "I bet my starter has a horrible nature..." Or "I'm getting such lovely EVs I bet"

I know you don't have to min/max to beat the game but all this advanced knowledge definitely hurts playing the main game for me.

I usually try to make sure my nature is beneficial in some way (-sp atk and +whatever on a physical sweeper, -speed +whatever on something with garbage speed already) and not like, a -sp atk abra and roll with it. EVs I've never cared and you end up breeding and training EVs for real comp Pokemon; nature's about the only thing that really matters for clearing the main game since it can make a 20% difference in how much damage a pokemon deals or takes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is there anywhere it's always raining? I wanna evolve my Sligoo.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh god, a marauding group of nosepass showed up, trapped my Krilie with block, and then slowly beat him to death :stonk:

I really don't get why Hordes only give you one pokemon. I thought they would be like wild triple battles.

Birds of a feather flock together. Although there are species that form mixed-species schools/flocks/herds, in general animals that live in groups tends to congregate with others of their own kind.

Which makes the Sudowoodo/Trevenant horde hilarious.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

It rains on route 14... sometimes. Haven't exactly figured out when.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I'd be even more annoyed by this group of sturdy, sand-attack spamming Roggenrola's if Aerial ace didn't exist.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's rained both trips I've taken to sparkling cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does Sliggoo evolve during rain? I thought he needed to get to level 70.

• Locked thread