Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BattleCake posted:

So what's Noivern like? Mostly physical or special attack leaning?

Special leaning but otherwise it has the exact same stats as Crobat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Wonder Trade Protip: When you get poo poo Pokemon through Wonder Trade that you want to re-trade, attach something nice like an Ultraball or a Hyper Potion. All space clearing without the karma!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Hey guys, just started, I accidentally fainted the Snorlax. Should I reload (I should've saved beforehand) or can I get another one at some point?

I don't think they ever appear in the wild, but it's easier than ever to trade for stuff and I'm sure most goons caught theirs and would be willing to trade and/or breed another for you.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Where's Aerodactyl at? I'm about to take on the Electric Gym and I could use someone with solid Rock moves to get me through it.

I meant to use my one PP Up I've stumbled upon on Tyrantrum's Ancient Power but I used it on Dragon Claw instead by accident. Ugh. Anywhere I can find PP Ups at this point in the game would be hugely appreciated. Why are these still so hard to come by?

Go back to the Glittering Cave and smash rocks. Lots of rocks potentially.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Where's Aerodactyl at? I'm about to take on the Electric Gym and I could use someone with solid Rock moves to get me through it.

I meant to use my one PP Up I've stumbled upon on Tyrantrum's Ancient Power but I used it on Dragon Claw instead by accident. Ugh. Anywhere I can find PP Ups at this point in the game would be hugely appreciated. Why are these still so hard to come by?

Teach Tyrantrum Rock Tomb instead of Ancient Power. It has a way higher attack stat and the speed lowering nature of that attack is great. Plus it got a big power, pp and accuracy boost this gen.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't think they ever appear in the wild, but it's easier than ever to trade for stuff and I'm sure most goons caught theirs and would be willing to trade and/or breed another for you.

Great, thanks for the info, I'll just carry on!

"Snorlax ran into the mountains"

:saddowns:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

In addition to what everyone else said, I'm not sure Aerodactyl will help you much for the Electric Gym, because Rock isn't super effective against Electric, Ground is. Also, because Aerodactyl is part Flying, he'll take super-effective damage. That being said, someone at the Fossil Lab will give you an Aerodactylite and that makes Aerodactyl into a powerful murder-machine otherwise.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is Modest Froakie's best Nature or should I look for something more mixed?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Pokemon Amie with the Bike theme is the best. Why do all NFE-Pokemon have to be this cute?
Speaking of Amie, do different Poke Puffs have different effects?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Zore posted:

Don't try to charge, hit all the white targets before they disappear twice and one of the red ones that doesn't immediately disappear will show up. Blast away at that with your machine gun and you should be able to win.

Well, as long as you don't want to train Special Defense. That's some bullshit.

Thanks for this, it's suddenly quite a bit easier. Dodging Magnezone's shots is still insane, though :shepface:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

Pokemon Amie with the Bike theme is the best. Why do all NFE-Pokemon have to be this cute?

I think the fancier ones give more happiness.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
By the way, there's a guy in the first gym-town that will trade a Bunnelby for a Farfetch'd with Aerial Ace. It's fantastic.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Great, thanks for the info, I'll just carry on!

"Snorlax ran into the mountains"

:saddowns:

I wanted to trade something slightly worthwhile the first time I used Wonder Trade, so I used my Snorlax and got a Caterpie.

Mind you, literally everybody will have to chance to get a Snorlax so maybe not that worthwhile.

deftest
May 7, 2011

kater posted:

The consensus I've seen is that he's a mixed attacker.

Additionally: Is there a way to get the Mega evolutions for the Kalos starters that you DIDN'T pick?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
50 Pokes in my dex, haven't even learnt how to catch pokemon yet!

I hear there is a power station or something around the 5th gym? Has anyone done alot of grinding there? Just curious incase the odd Grimer is lurking there, still can't find any info and it kinda sucks that my favorite poke is unfindable thus far :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Pokemon have different favorite flavors. I don't know if it's determined by species or individual, but they'll like most puffs, dislike one (no happiness gain) and really like one (extra happiness gain). The different styles within a given flavor are tiered: plain->frosted->topped.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

kater posted:

Froakie seems to learn mostly physical moves despite its higher SpAtk, so for just playing through the game an attack-lowering nature wouldn't be so great. It'd probably pay off later on when you can give it whatever moves you want, though. Mine has -SpDef/+Def, which seemed good enough since I was just restarting until it was female.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Captain Hair posted:

50 Pokes in my dex, haven't even learnt how to catch pokemon yet!

I hear there is a power station or something around the 5th gym? Has anyone done alot of grinding there? Just curious incase the odd Grimer is lurking there, still can't find any info and it kinda sucks that my favorite poke is unfindable thus far :(

The power station is a building, not a dungeon, so there's no wild pokemon there. There's no grass on the route its on, either, and instead there's wandering dust clouds which reveal exclusively ground-type pokemon when walked into.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

deftest posted:

The consensus I've seen is that he's a mixed attacker.

Additionally: Is there a way to get the Mega evolutions for the Kalos starters that you DIDN'T pick?

One of the early goon leakers, forgot which one might've been Kanpachi, mentioned they ran into a NPC that offered to sell them a Charizardite. I can't find any info on it though. I'm wondering this as well.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

My friend texted me that someone has discovered that giving tips increases the shiny appearance rate.

I suspect this is bullshit, but I guess it's my duty to report it.

deftest
May 7, 2011

deftest posted:

Meant *Kanto. Looking for the Charizardite and Blastoisite if I picked Bulbasaur, can those still be found?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

^^^ There's a guy that offers to sell you a Charizardite <X/Y> in Lumiose City, for an insanely high price. I've seen people say $500,000 but it said $1,000,000 for me.

Anyone know if/where you can catch any of the Ampharos line? I've got the mega stone for it but haven't seen any of them in the wild.

Also I will probably die irl if I don't learn where to catch Clauncher soon, help me goons

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Funkmaster General posted:

Pokemon have different favorite flavors. I don't know if it's determined by species or individual, but they'll like most puffs, dislike one (no happiness gain) and really like one (extra happiness gain). The different styles within a given flavor are tiered: plain->frosted->topped.

Is there a way to determine preferred flavor or do I have to experiment?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Walrus Pete posted:

^^^ There's a guy that offers to sell you a Charizardite <X/Y> in Lumiose City, for an insanely high price. I've seen people say $500,000 but it said $1,000,000 for me.

Anyone know if/where you can catch any of the Ampharos line? I've got the mega stone for it but haven't seen any of them in the wild.

Also I will probably die irl if I don't learn where to catch Clauncher soon, help me goons

Route 8. Use a good rod.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Kuhmondo posted:

One of the early goon leakers, forgot which one might've been Kanpachi, mentioned they ran into a NPC that offered to sell them a Charizardite. I can't find any info on it though. I'm wondering this as well.

A dude in the Stone store in Lumiose offered to sell me Mega Charizardite Y for 1,000,000 Poke Dollars

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Unbound posted:

Route 8. Use a good rod.

Thanks! You're my hero

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

I wanted to trade something slightly worthwhile the first time I used Wonder Trade, so I used my Snorlax and got a Caterpie.

Mind you, literally everybody will have to chance to get a Snorlax so maybe not that worthwhile.

That's how I got my second Snorlax! Was its name Tubbs?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Is there a way to determine preferred flavor or do I have to experiment?

Keep Amie open on the bottom screen and walk around. Eventually your pokemon will "think" about a puff and the flavor shown is their favorite.

I've also had pretty good luck just feeding them puffs that are the same color as them, but that's anecdotal at best.

Rude Lion Guns
May 7, 2008

Kuhmondo posted:

There's a dude in one of the Not-Paris stores who offered to sell me Blastoiseite (I picked Charmander), so maybe that's who he was talking about? 1,000,000 Pokédollars though :stare:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Holy poo poo collecting Vivillions is addicting. Why don't people Wondertrade Scatterbugs?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They really went all out with the Gen I references. :3:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, so apparently they actually killed off Looker's Croagunk. drat.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So with the advent of wonder trade and the easy to use multiplayer aspect I've finally found a reason to play pokemon more than once by breeding up and training out pokemon and sending them off randomly over wonder trade. It's fun and I hope that I end up surprising someone with a trade.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Does anyone know what I can use to breed with Amaura? Just a rock type?

The whole breeding thing is kind of confusing at the best of times and now I have no idea what goes what.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Walrus Pete posted:

Mareep hordes can be found on route 12, I ran into one this morning.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I chose bulbasaur because he was my first way back in the day :allears: with the thought that is breed him and trade for a charmander later.

Several hours later it occurred to me that this likely precludes me from getting charizardite. Am I correct in my thinking?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Is there a special pokemon that can be found in the secret room of reflection cave (between badges two and three), near where the Gyro Ball TM is? There's this weird lit up spot but nothing there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

^^^ Come back in the postgame.

Sockser posted:

Several hours later it occurred to me that this likely precludes me from getting charizardite. Am I correct in my thinking?

Nope! You can buy Charizardite if you picked Bulbasaur as your Kanto starter. It'll cost you a pretty penny, though.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Zurai posted:

^^^ Come back in the postgame.

Nope! You can buy Charizardite if you picked Bulbasaur as your Kanto starter. It'll cost you a pretty penny, though.

Wait, so there's no way we can get Charizardite if we picked Squirtle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raito
Sep 13, 2012
The restaurants in Lumiose City are a really neat way of "gambling" of sorts. You pay X amount (the 3 star one cost $100,000) and before each meal you have a battle that is best done in X amount of turns (so the food can be ready) and the better you do the more items you get. I did the 3 star perfectly and got 25 Balm Mushrooms, which sell for $25,000 a piece if they didn't change it from Gen 5->6.

edit: Turns out its $6,250 each, which is roughly ~156k. Still about doubled my money with what the battles gave me

raito fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 13, 2013

• Locked thread