Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why do you still get Aztec events if the Sunset Invasion never successfully took any territory? If the Aztecs never took any ground it doesn't make much sense for, say, them to still be sending syphillis over or to be importing horses from Europe to raise cavalry regiments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
The Varangian Guard seems to be bugged in my present game. It just stands around in Cyprus without doing anything; I switched to the Byzantine Empire to see if he had activated them, but the Emperor is unable to hire them or to disband them even though they remain his vassals - it's as if they joined a faction rebellion and mustered on their own, but never disbanded when the war ended. As a result, the Emperor can't do anything with them, they just chill in Cyprus.

I've noticed this occasionally happening to mercenary bands too, where they just pop somewhere and wait around, unable to be hired by anyone. Originally I thought it was because some claimaint started a host war against them (this does indeed happen), but even when they're not in any war they never disband.

Is there a way to somehow reset or force-disband a mercenary unit? I would just do it manually but for the fact that you can't play as merc bands.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
I'd imagine that even if they fail to actually conquer anything, the Aztecs would still show up to trade every once in a while?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

e: wrong thread

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 9, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Glass Hand posted:

I've noticed this occasionally happening to mercenary bands too, where they just pop somewhere and wait around, unable to be hired by anyone. Originally I thought it was because some claimaint started a host war against them (this does indeed happen), but even when they're not in any war they never disband.

Mercenary bands can bug out if they end up going to war on their own recognizance (usually because of lack of pay), but never get a homeland to disband in. I haven't yet seen any good way to fix it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Zoinker posted:

I'd imagine that even if they fail to actually conquer anything, the Aztecs would still show up to trade every once in a while?

I did a bit of looking around and it turns out one of my African provinces is suddenly of Nahua culture, so I'm going to assume that's what happened, yeah. Just a load of peaceful Aztecs immigrating or trading with my empire. Just seemed weird at first.

Glass Hand posted:

The Varangian Guard seems to be bugged in my present game. It just stands around in Cyprus without doing anything; I switched to the Byzantine Empire to see if he had activated them, but the Emperor is unable to hire them or to disband them even though they remain his vassals - it's as if they joined a faction rebellion and mustered on their own, but never disbanded when the war ended. As a result, the Emperor can't do anything with them, they just chill in Cyprus.

Is there a way to somehow reset or force-disband a mercenary unit? I would just do it manually but for the fact that you can't play as merc bands.

Try destroying it in battle?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Try destroying it in battle?

If it's bugged out, it's not at war with anyone.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So I married my Fylkir to a High Chieftess and they had one son and one daughter, and then she caught Syphilis from her secret lover and died. The son inherited when he was only like 4 or 5, and now 11 years later just after turning 16 he inherits Scandinavia. I definitely should have been paying attention because his 12 year old sister, who has Syphilis and is a literal retard, has better stats than he does.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

If it's bugged out, it's not at war with anyone.

Yeah, that's the issue.

Is it possible to give land to vassal merc bands, either manually or through the console? If so, I think I'll try that next time - if it's landed, presumably it can be attacked and killed.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is it possible to park a big-rear end stack on top of them and kill them through attrition?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So the Aztecs in my game seized the Kingdom of Iceland and one county in Ireland and then just sat around for decades. Do they eventually get moving again, or was the whole thing a non-starter?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rincewind posted:

So the Aztecs in my game seized the Kingdom of Iceland and one county in Ireland and then just sat around for decades. Do they eventually get moving again, or was the whole thing a non-starter?

Iceland and Ireland? I don't blame them. They show up and are like "Man, is this it? Why bother?"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Dauntasa posted:

Iceland and Ireland? I don't blame them. They show up and are like "Man, is this it? Why bother?"

I think it's because the following dumb chain of events happened: as Norse Sweden, I formed the kingdoms of Finland and Denmark. Then, centuries of being the lone Norse nation and a rogue pirate state which pillaged the entire Papal state dozens of times finally caught up with me as all of Christendom declared a crusade on me and seized the Sweden kingdom title. This was awesome. But because of a CK2->EU4 AAR thing I'm doing for tumblr, I wanted to follow Sweden instead of my dynasty, so I reloaded as the new Crusader King of Sweden, leaving my old king to fend for himself as Finland/Iceland. (I then totally hosed up by intentionally losing to a Norse adventurer from my old dynasty to try to get back to being Reformed Norse and loading as him, which resulted in Sweden being reduced to two provinces and the title passed to a random kinswoman queen in a non-matrilineal marriage with like seven kids, so I'm going to have to replay like a decade of time sticking it out with the Catholics instead. Being Catholic in EU4 is probably more interesting than Reformed Norse would be anyway, outside of the novelty of being Norse.)

Anyway, before any of that happened, when I was still Sweden's new Catholic overlords, for some reason my old king in Finland changed his primary title to Kingdom of Iceland. So when the Aztecs rolled up, they declared war... for the kingdom of Iceland. And then after easily crushing the Norse rump state, duly seized all of its de jure territory, leaving Finland unscathed.

I guess if the Aztecs don't get anything else it's still worth it, since it means they'll still be around in EU4, but I was kind of looking forward to them destroying the mess of unpretty borders that is Britain and Iberia. :v:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rincewind posted:

I think it's because the following dumb chain of events happened: as Norse Sweden, I formed the kingdoms of Finland and Denmark. Then, centuries of being the lone Norse nation and a rogue pirate state which pillaged the entire Papal state dozens of times finally caught up with me as all of Christendom declared a crusade on me and seized the Sweden kingdom title. This was awesome. But because of a CK2->EU4 AAR thing I'm doing for tumblr, I wanted to follow Sweden instead of my dynasty, so I reloaded as the new Crusader King of Sweden, leaving my old king to fend for himself as Finland/Iceland. (I then totally hosed up by intentionally losing to a Norse adventurer from my old dynasty to try to get back to being Reformed Norse and loading as him, which resulted in Sweden being reduced to two provinces and the title passed to a random kinswoman queen in a non-matrilineal marriage with like seven kids, so I'm going to have to replay like a decade of time sticking it out with the Catholics instead. Being Catholic in EU4 is probably more interesting than Reformed Norse would be anyway, outside of the novelty of being Norse.)

Anyway, before any of that happened, when I was still Sweden's new Catholic overlords, for some reason my old king in Finland changed his primary title to Kingdom of Iceland. So when the Aztecs rolled up, they declared war... for the kingdom of Iceland. And then after easily crushing the Norse rump state, duly seized all of its de jure territory, leaving Finland unscathed.

I guess if the Aztecs don't get anything else it's still worth it, since it means they'll still be around in EU4, but I was kind of looking forward to them destroying the mess of unpretty borders that is Britain and Iberia. :v:

Oh. Maybe they just don't have any boats with which to move their enormous army from Iceland to anywhere else?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Dauntasa posted:

Oh. Maybe they just don't have any boats with which to move their enormous army from Iceland to anywhere else?

Nah, it's not that. I saw their huge boat stack move their troops to Finland to siege "Iceland" down to -100% war score. They just went back home to Iceland afterwards.

Maybe it's because Iceland doesn't border anything? But they still have that one county in Ireland...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Update to the Aztec situation: I finally just used the console to tag switch the Aztecs, moved their capital to Connacht, and declared war on an Irish minor, which got the ball rolling again, and the Aztecs correctly brought their stack over from Iceland on their boats and declared war on everyone else in Ireland.

Then, after taking over Ireland, they promptly converted to Catholicism.

Was that... supposed to happen? I know the Mongols always eventually convert to something (so there's hilarity in my game like a Nestorian Golden Horde dominating everything around the Black Sea and so much intermarriage between Sweden and the Catholic Ilkhanate that my whole royal family has the Mongolian face sprites, but this is the first time I've played with Sunset Invasion, so I'm not sure if something bugged out or if it's WAD.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm going to mess about with the invasions, religions, cultures, you know. If I don't want the Mongols to convert from whatever I set them to, I can just comment out the conversion events in mongol_events.txt, right? Or delete them (making a mod folder, so no danger to my main stuff)? The only other "event" stuff I've messed with was succession laws.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rincewind posted:

Nestorian Golden Horde

There was a Nestorian Khan of the Golden Horde in real life.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Agh, dammit. After 200 years, my goofy Hellenic Roman Empire game that I was hoping to export to EU4 is now crashing reliably on December 21st, 1095. The message is a C++ runtime error, not the type of crash I normally get from the game. I posted something in tech support, but they moved it to the modding forum, since they (understandably, of course) don't want to provide tech support for modded games. But, ich. Anyone run into anything like this before, have any ideas as to the cause, something I could maybe fix in the save file? I don't want to lose all my progress here.

My oldest autosave still has the problem. I do have a manual save from ~30 years back that I guess I could try, if nothing else appears.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 11, 2013

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

Strudel Man posted:

Agh, dammit. After 200 years, my goofy Hellenic Roman Empire game that I was hoping to export to EU4 is now crashing reliably on December 21st, 1095. The message is a C++ runtime error, not the type of crash I normally get from the game. I posted something in tech support, but they moved it to the modding forum, since they (understandably, of course) don't want to provide tech support for modded games. But, ich. Anyone run into anything like this before, have any ideas as to the cause, something I could maybe fix in the save file? I don't want to lose all my progress here.

My oldest autosave still has the problem. I do have a manual save from ~30 years back that I guess I could try, if nothing else appears.

You could try saving the game just before that date and then manually change the date to a date just after in the save file.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Before I work on writing it, does anyone know if a mini-mod already exists that has a decision to revoke every one of your vassal's titles? I want it to do a proper revoke, so it asks the guy for the title, rather than just stealing them without the relations impact. Every couple of generations I have someone inherit who has to go on a purge of everyone in my Kingdoms/Empires, and it gets drat tedious to do it all manually.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
Where in the save files is the capital of a county defined?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Krokerik posted:

You could try saving the game just before that date and then manually change the date to a date just after in the save file.
I ended up just going back to the manual save, and passed 1095 successfully. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

SeaTard posted:

Before I work on writing it, does anyone know if a mini-mod already exists that has a decision to revoke every one of your vassal's titles? I want it to do a proper revoke, so it asks the guy for the title, rather than just stealing them without the relations impact. Every couple of generations I have someone inherit who has to go on a purge of everyone in my Kingdoms/Empires, and it gets drat tedious to do it all manually.
:geno: This isn't really something that you're meant to do.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

SeaTard posted:

No, it would be a good mod. Like you said the only one that exists is a magic one.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

SeaTard posted:

If you wanted to do this, why not just imprison + banish? The tyranny costs would probably be similar.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Get a depressed ruler. Imprison and banish all of your vassals, every single one, and then commit suicide. Start over with a new ruler without Tyranny, all the money of all the old ruler's vassals, and vassals that love him because he gave them all duchies.

It is the perfect scheme.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

Get a depressed ruler. Imprison and banish all of your vassals, every single one, and then commit suicide. Start over with a new ruler without Tyranny, all the money of all the old ruler's vassals, and vassals that love him because he gave them all duchies.

It is the perfect scheme.

If you are not roleplaying or something, getting a depressed ruler is like winning the lottery.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Glass Hand posted:

If you wanted to do this, why not just imprison + banish? The tyranny costs would probably be similar.

Tediousness. It's not so bad when you only have 30 or 40 realm holdings, but once you get much past that the sheer number of clicks it requires is maddening.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

So after having been crusaded out of Sweden (and playing as my Catholic conquerers via the console since I'm more interested in Sweden) I was sloppy educating my heir and she turned out reformed Norse. Any tips for avoiding Crusades while I run down the clock waiting for 1444 so I can export this thing?

The Aztecs are Catholic and already won Jerusalem so if I do get crusaded that's the end of me. :V

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Am I mistaken, or is it impossible to convert to a liege's religion without prompting? I felt it would be amusing to immediately swear fealty to the Abbasids as Harald Fairhair and then carve out an Islamic scandinavia, but the intrigue menu only allows me to convert to my liege's culture, not religion, and I can't convert through a wive since no one wants to let me marry their muslim women by virtue of me being an infidel. I don't want to just wait for him to demand conversion, since I know from experience that he's just as likely to revoke my titles without a warning.

I suppose it would just be easier to get a muslim concubine through raids and convert through her (which has the advantage of me starting out independent), but I'm still kind of nonplussed over there not being a "convert to liege's religion" option anywhere, especially since there is a "convert to liege's culture" one. Am I missing something?

EDIT: So apparently, if you kidnap a pregnant woman and make her your concubine, her child will magically teleport to its native court immediately upon birth.

Zoinker fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 12, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zoinker posted:

Am I mistaken, or is it impossible to convert to a liege's religion without prompting?

In my experience, since you can swear fealty to anybody anywhere and they'll always say yes, that seems like it could lead to some really gamey shenanigans.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Zoinker posted:

Am I mistaken, or is it impossible to convert to a liege's religion without prompting? I felt it would be amusing to immediately swear fealty to the Abbasids as Harald Fairhair and then carve out an Islamic scandinavia, but the intrigue menu only allows me to convert to my liege's culture, not religion, and I can't convert through a wive since no one wants to let me marry their muslim women by virtue of me being an infidel. I don't want to just wait for him to demand conversion, since I know from experience that he's just as likely to revoke my titles without a warning.

I suppose it would just be easier to get a muslim concubine through raids and convert through her (which has the advantage of me starting out independent), but I'm still kind of nonplussed over there not being a "convert to liege's religion" option anywhere, especially since there is a "convert to liege's culture" one. Am I missing something?

EDIT: So apparently, if you kidnap a pregnant woman and make her your concubine, her child will magically teleport to its native court immediately upon birth.

If he tries to demand your title, can't you refuse, start a war, then convert to end the war?

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

So I just had one of the most insane succession crises I have ever seen unfold in CK II while playing as the Last Karlings in Vermandois.

William the Conqueror gets overthrown by his treacherous son Robert I, who is immediately faced with his own civil war to install William. Now, I thought it was cool that William the Conqueror would basically lead an army to retake his throne, but what actually happened was that Robert's brother William II gained the throne. But the civil wars continued and William II was forced to abdicate in favor of his son, William III. Then, after only a year on the throne, William III was overthrown by a resurgent Robert I, who retook his crown. In 1090, Robert I fell in battle in a civil war, leaving his crown to William II. Seven months later, William II followed his brother and died in battle during a civil war, leaving his crown to his son, William III. William III would finally see England out of the endless civil wars that had plagued the kingdom since 1080, only to be incapacitated during the First Crusade, which also failed spectacularly. He died at age 21 and was replaced by his brother, who became Roger I. It practically goes without saying that Roger I was overthrown after a mere three years on the throne, with the crown finally being seized by someone outside of the perpetually warring de Normandie dynasty, Yves de Vassy. It also goes without saying that England is once again in a civil war.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TheLoquid posted:

So I just had one of the most insane succession crises I have ever seen unfold in CK II while playing as the Last Karlings in Vermandois.

William the Conqueror gets overthrown by his treacherous son Robert I, who is immediately faced with his own civil war to install William. Now, I thought it was cool that William the Conqueror would basically lead an army to retake his throne, but what actually happened was that Robert's brother William II gained the throne. But the civil wars continued and William II was forced to abdicate in favor of his son, William III. Then, after only a year on the throne, William III was overthrown by a resurgent Robert I, who retook his crown. In 1090, Robert I fell in battle in a civil war, leaving his crown to William II. Seven months later, William II followed his brother and died in battle during a civil war, leaving his crown to his son, William III. William III would finally see England out of the endless civil wars that had plagued the kingdom since 1080, only to be incapacitated during the First Crusade, which also failed spectacularly. He died at age 21 and was replaced by his brother, who became Roger I. It practically goes without saying that Roger I was overthrown after a mere three years on the throne, with the crown finally being seized by someone outside of the perpetually warring de Normandie dynasty, Yves de Vassy. It also goes without saying that England is once again in a civil war.

That's a weird coat of arms for House de Normandie

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

TheLoquid posted:

I love how royal families end up with all these people sharing the same name. I imagine that caused some confusion.

"Down with William! William is the true king!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sartana posted:

I love how royal families end up with all these people sharing the same name. I imagine that caused some confusion.

I had a ruler named Bjorn who named all 5 of his kids Bjorn. His grandson was named Beorn.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
As a follow up to the above, Roger I has been regained his crown, been deposed, regained his crown again, and just won a civil war to keep his crown.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

TheLoquid posted:

As a follow up to the above, Roger I has been regained his crown, been deposed, regained his crown again, and just won a civil war to keep his crown.

I'm guessing England is just ashes at this point

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Sartana posted:

That's one of the reasons that Epithets were so commonly used. In this case so could they just have called them William the Older and William the Younger respectively or whatever.

e; On that topic so is this Wiki page pretty interesting if you are into those things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monarchs_by_nickname

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I have 9999 prestige. Just gotta wait for Piety to hit max too. Is there even a max money?

e: no, since I just hit 10K prestige.

• Locked thread