Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kuhmondo posted:

Wait, so there's no way we can get Charizardite if we picked Squirtle?

The guy only offered to sell me Charizardite, I havn't found anyone offering to sell me Blastoisite. That might open up in the postgame, though; I think one of our early players said you could get both other Kanto megastones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

raito posted:

The restaurants in Lumiose City are a really neat way of "gambling" of sorts. You pay X amount (the 3 star one cost $100,000) and before each meal you have a battle that is best done in X amount of turns (so the food can be ready) and the better you do the more items you get. I did the 3 star perfectly and got 25 Balm Mushrooms, which sell for $25,000 a piece if they didn't change it from Gen 5->6.

You also get some money just from beating each "meal" as well, not to mention the XP. I like it :chef:

edit: Crossposting from the trading thread for more exposure (hope nobody minds)

Is there a generous goon who can trade me a Male Nidoran? Adamant nature would be preferred but anything that's not -Attack is fine. I'm afraid I don't have that much to trade back right now as I'm rather early on in the game but let me know if there's something I can do to make this trade worthwhile for you.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I never really bothered with breeding in Pokemon before. If I breed a male Tyrunt with a Ditto, do I get a Ditto or a Tyrunt?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

horriblePencilist posted:

I never really bothered with breeding in Pokemon before. If I breed a male Tyrunt with a Ditto, do I get a Ditto or a Tyrunt?

X + Ditto = X.

Flossie
Nov 8, 2008
I was maxing out Sp Attack on the Super Training thingy. To be honest I found it easiest to spend 3 seconds one-shotting the level 1 game which netted me 4 EVs and a 12 EV punching bag everytime. But I'm pretty terrible at the game to be fair.

I have no idea how to dodge, I just can't figure it out. I use the L button to guard but I get totally hammered by Magnezone because I think I missed reading how the dodge function works. How does it work?

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Flossie posted:

I was maxing out Sp Attack on the Super Training thingy. To be honest I found it easiest to spend 3 seconds one-shotting the level 1 game which netted me 4 EVs and a 12 EV punching bag everytime. But I'm pretty terrible at the game to be fair.

I have no idea how to dodge, I just can't figure it out. I use the L button to guard but I get totally hammered by Magnezone because I think I missed reading how the dodge function works. How does it work?

Dodging is done by evading the shots using the circle pad. L gives you a shield that seems almost entirely ineffective much of the time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Does Honedge learn any awesome moves before I evolve him?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Flossie posted:

Also note that your shield only stays up for a very narrow window of time and takes a while to recharge. You'll have to dodge every other ball sent at you because of this.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Where is the Looker side quest located at?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Flossie posted:

Magnezone spits 2 types of balls at you, ones that will move left and right to track you, and ones that will follow you up and down. To dodge them, move in a direction they won't track you in, using the joystick. There is a visible difference between the two ball types, but its pretty subtle. The ones that follow up and down are skinnier, I believe.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

Does Honedge learn any awesome moves before I evolve him?

Doublade learns Sacred Sword at 51.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Where is the Looker side quest located at?

I think what you have to do is first take part in the battle tower-esque place (only one battle should it). Then, in the same town, your rival will now appear to battle. Beat him, and then go to Luminose city, where you should get one of those holo-message thingies.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
When I first saw Diggersby's battle entrance animation I LOL'd. He like stumbles and pushes himself back up with his ear-fist. He's such a doofus. Also I don't normally care, but Psyduck's Tail Whip animation is adorable

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
How customizable is your trainer? And at what point in the game do you get the majority of these options opened up? My roommate just started his copy last night (he's at the first gym) and all he could pick from were different hats so far.

Jun 23, 2010

Braixen looks like an evil loving witch.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I've got the Power Plant Pass, but where am I supposed to go to put it in? All the entrances seem to say that the door is locked up tight and that I cannot get through in there. (also tipping?)

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Sure is nice finally having surf! Guess I'll try out that Lapras feature. One 'step' later and I'm already fighting a goddamn Tentacool.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Zurai posted:

Doublade learns Sacred Sword at 51.

I'm running Shadow Claw/Iron Head/Sacred Sword/Swords Dance on my Aegislash. If, on my journey, I meet God, God will be cut.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Guh, I don't get why I'm so slow. I'm just taking my time catching pokemon and messing around in the Amie/Training so I only have two badges. Seems like everyone I know is way ahead of me now, so I'm kind of bummed out since I can't fight with them now.

I don't know why I seem to move through this game at a snail's pace.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm running Shadow Claw/Iron Head/Sacred Sword/Swords Dance on my Aegislash. If, on my journey, I meet God, God will be cut.

I'm using that same set except with Shadow Sneak instead of Shadow Claw. It's weaker, but having a priority move can be useful for such a slow unmovable unstoppable wall of swords.

EDIT: Incidentally, Doublade with Eviolite is basically immune to everything except very powerful special Fire attacks like Fire Blast.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Internet Kraken posted:

Guh, I don't get why I'm so slow. I'm just taking my time catching pokemon and messing around in the Amie/Training so I only have two badges. Seems like everyone I know is way ahead of me now, so I'm kind of bummed out since I can't fight with them now.

I don't know why I seem to move through this game at a snail's pace.

I think that playing like this is preferable to making it a race. Enjoy it! You only get to play it for the first time once.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh for goodness sake. What's up with the GTS? I feel like a Charmander for a Squirtle is a pretty even trade, but no one took me up on it in 4 hours. And everyone who had a Squirtle was asking for a Bulbasaur. So I just traded my only Bulbasaur for a Squirtle and just got a new Bulbasaur. Ridiculous.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

LemonLimeTime posted:

How customizable is your trainer? And at what point in the game do you get the majority of these options opened up? My roommate just started his copy last night (he's at the first gym) and all he could pick from were different hats so far.

You can buy clothes, consisting of hats, accesories, dresses, shirts, pants, socks, bags and shoes. The first boutique only has hats, but you do have one alternate costume. The second boutique with a bigger selection is available in the town with the second gym. Keep in mind that the stock cycles daily.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
You're going to give me a mega Blaziken and a mega Aerodactyl and send me to a grass based gym? Pffffffffffffft!!!!!!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Is/Where are the Incenses in this game? Wanna breed me some Azurills

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

MotU posted:

Is/Where is the Incenses in this game? Wanna breed me some Azurills

I remember seeing a vendor for them. I think it's at the port city (northernmost town on the map) alongside the docks.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

So, I'm probably around 30+ SR's in trying to get this shiny Xerneas. Still debating whether or not it's a good idea, but the new shiny rate is so high right?

Right guys?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
:confused: I'm just bad at keeping track of totals and the EV max total is still 510, right?

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
Uh, so how do you upgrade the Mega Ring in the post game? From what I've read you're meant to battle your rival in the new town but she's not showing up anywhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mondlicht posted:

I think that playing like this is preferable to making it a race. Enjoy it! You only get to play it for the first time once.

I guess, it's just kind of annoying that it takes so long to raise up a wild pokemon without audino now. I'm using my Golette in literally every fight but the little guy keeps getting killed, and my entire team is 10 levels above him. So I have to stay and grind a bit while everyone gets even more ahead of me.

Oh well, my little brother said he was going to fill out his pokedex instead of leveling more so I could catch up and actually battle with him.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Golet has awesome animations. Also he's one of the few pokemon that doesn't like getting his stomach rubbed. Instead, he wants you to give him high fives :3:

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

horriblePencilist posted:

You can buy clothes, consisting of hats, accesories, dresses, shirts, pants, socks, bags and shoes. The first boutique only has hats, but you do have one alternate costume. The second boutique with a bigger selection is available in the town with the second gym. Keep in mind that the stock cycles daily.

How do you mean stock cycles daily? And I saw in trailers, at least it seemed with a female trainer you could change you hair. How true is this?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess, it's just kind of annoying that it takes so long to raise up a wild pokemon without audino now. I'm using my Golette in literally every fight but the little guy keeps getting killed, and my entire team is 10 levels above him. So I have to stay and grind a bit while everyone gets even more ahead of me.

So turn on your EXP share?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
What does Tough Claws mean by "direct contact"? Will it power up Fire Fang or just claw moves?

Also by how much?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

yaoi prophet posted:

So turn on your EXP share?

I do have it on, but Golet is so far behind that I have to use him in every fight otherwise he doesn't get nearly enough exp to catch up. I just don't get why Audinos were removed. I mean yeah with exp share keeping everyone on a team leveled is easy, but when you want to add a new member to the team they come in super far behind and it takes ages to get them up to speed. In W2 I just had to spend 5 minutes punching Audinos and then they were good to go.

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

I haven't found any place that sells anything aside from hats/buttons, though there is that one place in Luminose City I haven't been able to get into yet.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Every one of my pokemon is sleeping in Pokemon Amie. I've tried petting them and saying their name, but nothing wakes them up to play. Is this part of the night/day cycle or something?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

LemonLimeTime posted:

How do you mean stock cycles daily? And I saw in trailers, at least it seemed with a female trainer you could change you hair. How true is this?

Very true- went from long blonde hair to short black hair. There were three options I saw for length (long, short, bobbed), some stuff about the bangs? and a whack load of different colours.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I LOVE the change to Exp Share.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Mazerunner posted:

Very true- went from long blonde hair to short black hair. There were three options I saw for length (long, short, bobbed), some stuff about the bangs? and a whack load of different colours.

I'm wondering if there are colors aside from blonde/dirty blonde/brunette/black. When I got my hair done in not!Paris it only gave me those options, I feel like, but I could be wrong. My dreams of having dumb punky hair may not be realized in this Gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone found a replacement for the satchel/handbag or is it just different color schemes?

• Locked thread