Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Pigmy Staff and Tiki armor set + the two accessories makes all farming effortless, plus the armor boosts the hydra staff's damage since it's a summon as well.

Still can't compare to Spectre armor and Magnet/Shower/Nimbus destruction or a rain of spiked balls though, but it is nice for afk farming or just being able to dig and move without having to pay much attention to any enemies that spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Hummingbirds posted:

Huh. Thanks. Well in that case, does anyone know of any world viewers that have been updated for 1.2?

If you only want a viewer, Terrafirma has updated as well. With several new options in it too.

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

Holy poo poo, I didn't know these fuckers can now spawn without consuming a mechanical skull.
I summoned one and this other rear end in a top hat just decided to join in.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Hummingbirds posted:

So apparently the nazar/countercurse mantra doesn't do poo poo against cursed flames?? I thought it was going to be a loving breeze to kill the twins with it equipped but nope, spazmatism still set me on fire every 10 seconds. Has anyone else had an issue with it?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Countercurse_Mantra

VV Nevermind, I misunderstood the wiki page. Thanks.

A good counter for the twins is to build a really long ice bridge, mine is about 600 blocks long, and equip ice skates and lightning boots. Spazmatism shouldn't be able to catch up to you.

What weapon(s) are you using against them?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Good work, there, Necromancer. You're sure threatening now.

(Actually they're always threatening because jesus christ, the Hard Mode Dungeon does not gently caress around)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Has anyone actually had the party girl respawn after dying? Mine got killed by a heart of cthutlu way back in regular mode and 20something hours later she's still not back. There's plenty of open houses and well more than 8 NPCs.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

President Ark posted:

If you're playing singleplayer, do not play on large maps - they're for multiplayer servers with 4+ people. Play small or medium if you really want a world that feels 'big'.

Yeah, I'm moving to a new map as soon as I can set up a piggy bank. I just went 'well minecraft had infinite worlds so...'

The water hasn't gone anywhere after saving and reloading. gently caress water.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Lakitu7 posted:

Has anyone actually had the party girl respawn after dying? Mine got killed by a heart of cthutlu way back in regular mode and 20something hours later she's still not back. There's plenty of open houses and well more than 8 NPCs.

We had her die on us too and it took her a long time to come back. I don't know what the criteria for her showing up is but she did return eventually. I'd imagine she'll come back if you fulfill her join requirements again, I just don't know what they are.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

FPzero posted:

We had her die on us too and it took her a long time to come back. I don't know what the criteria for her showing up is but she did return eventually. I'd imagine she'll come back if you fulfill her join requirements again, I just don't know what they are.

Party Girl is supposedly just have 7 NPCs, but she only has a 2% chance of spawning each day. It appears that also counts for respawning.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

watho posted:

A good counter for the twins is to build a really long ice bridge, mine is about 600 blocks long, and equip ice skates and lightning boots. Spazmatism shouldn't be able to catch up to you.

What weapon(s) are you using against them?

Thanks.

I've been using my Demonic Megashark, with crystal bullets. My aim isn't perfect but I keep almost taking out Spazmatism so I can kill the other one in peace but when he's down to a few 1000 HP I inevitably die from the cursed flames debuff. I have no clue how I killed them before they got nerfed.

E: Has anyone else gotten the turtle armor yet? I spent literal hours in the jungle today and got exactly one tortoise shell.
e2: Just used the shell to make the turtle scalemail and it brought my defense up 12 points. drat. Now I have 75 defense. :)

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 14, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Goddamn you got yourself some water. On the positive side, if you get that flooded properly you got a lifetime supply of obsidian and save the hassle of building bridges in the underworld.

That's a pretty shithot bush you've built there. But what are these activators you're talking about :confused:

Hummingbirds posted:

E: Has anyone else gotten the turtle armor yet? I spent literal hours in the jungle today and got exactly one tortoise shell.
e2: Just used the shell to make the turtle scalemail and it brought my defense up 12 points. drat. Now I have 75 defense. :)

Regarding turtle set, I'm still wondering why a high end tank oriented helmet has 21 defense when even hallowed one has 24 and hell of a lot better stats.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 14, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
You can buy activators from the Mechanic and connect them to a trigger with wires.

They make any tile function like an (in)active stone block.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Marvelous for drawbridges. Or portcullises. Or vault doors. Or entrances concealed in a mountainside.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
A work-in-progress: a massive pyramid in the sky complete with a bunch of nice little touches: booby traps, a variety of liquid falls at the tip to run down the sides (lava illuminates the borders of the pyramid at night) along with all varieties of water fountains to change the colors to suit the mood, a fully actuated sarcophagus in the middle, actuated secret passages, booby traps, desert music box, etc etc etc.

And some nice hot springs in the back yard with a control panel to cycle colors!

Click for table-crushingly huge!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Read posted:

Been playing around with the infusions, Ichor with Vampire Knives is excellent. The damage bonus is far more significant than with most melee weapons because it's flat and Vampire Knives deals many smaller hits.

This requires there to be a Hive on your world though. I've fully explored the Underground Jungle on at least two worlds and I'm yet to see one. :(

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 14, 2013

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fewd posted:

Regarding turtle set, I'm still wondering why a high end tank oriented helmet has 21 defense when even hallowed one has 24 and hell of a lot better stats.

Turtle Armor does damage back to whatever hits you, like a Thorns potion. So it kind of makes sense to have a lower defense on some pieces to make more of it.

Also, from what the armor says, it increases monster spawn rate, much like a water candle. Which seems fine when you have a Paladin hammer and extended health. Not so much during an eclipse.

On another point: Eclipse. Finally got one. Want another one, because I need one more Broken Hero blade.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Turtle Armor does damage back to whatever hits you, like a Thorns potion. So it kind of makes sense to have a lower defense on some pieces to make more of it.

Also, from what the armor says, it increases monster spawn rate, much like a water candle. Which seems fine when you have a Paladin hammer and extended health. Not so much during an eclipse.

On another point: Eclipse. Finally got one. Want another one, because I need one more Broken Hero blade.

Turtle Armor thorns reflects full damage regardless of your armor rating maybe even more. The helmet has less defense because the set is balanced differently than the others. The melee/ranged/magic variants of those armors are differentiated by the helms, with the melee helms having the biggest armor bonuses, but the Turtle set doesn't have variants so the armor is spread out across all the pieces. Switching out the helm gets you slightly higher armor but you trade it for the set bonus which is actually quite good.

e: Oh and I don't think it increases spawn rate, just makes enemies target you over teammates.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 14, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Wiki article for the Paladin's Shield says that it deals a portion of the damage prevented to the character using the shield. Does anyone know how much?
(Wondering about it's protectiveness in SP)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

This requires there to be a Hive on your world though. I've fully explored the Underground Jungle on at least two worlds and I'm yet to see one. :(

Huh? Neither require a hive, you get Ichor to craft the flasks from Hardmode Crimson enemies and you get Crimson Knives from the Crimson Chest in the Dungeon.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I think he means the imbuing station.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

I think he means the imbuing station.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Right. I forgot that was even a special thing you need.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zurai posted:

Party Girl is supposedly just have 7 NPCs, but she only has a 2% chance of spawning each day. It appears that also counts for respawning.
This is the case, and it sucks. Once she shows up the first time she should just be put on the automatic instant waiting list like everyone else. I mean, the game doesn't force us to go find the mechanic in the dungeon again if she dies, nor the wizard or the goblin. Or defeat another invasion after every time they die. The 2% chance should be a first-time deal only.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

death .cab for qt posted:

See, he won't do that. I went mining for a while, he was still on the bottom floor. I quit/reload my game, still on the bottom floor. My housing says that it is valid, and his room is even listed with his stupid face on a banner, but he just won't go upstairs. This happened in both my worlds and it is frustrating as hell. :mad:
Do you have a screenshot of the house? I'm getting the impression that your problem might be that your perfect room for your NPC isn't actually fully sealed off from the bottom floor, at which point he'll just populate wherever the gently caress he wants in the contiguous valid housing area.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I have seen a few people posting about the difficulty of the new hardmode content, but honestly, the new poo poo trivializes the endgame. Kill enough poo poo in the hardmode dungeon to put together a spectral pickaxe (admittedly a task that may take a couple of runs, depending on what skeleton types your dungeon holds...) and get yourself some chlorophyte gear. Before the update, I literally could not defeat the hardmode bosses; after the update, once I figured out what I needed and was all set up, I blew through all of the hardmode content in about two days. Chlorophyte gear is just plain silly good, and you don't need to kill a single mechanical boss to get it...getting lucky with your dungeon enemy set and not getting those teleporting instant-bouncing-beam douchebags is somewhat necessary, however.

As for The Twins, I never found evading the flames to be too difficult, though I got grazed every once in a while, but that's probably because I prioritized run speed and flight with my gear. Damage output and defense seem to mean less for that boss than many of the others, simply dodging most of the attacks is the trick, whereas with half-decent gear you can tank the majority of Destroyer's attacks or focus on damage against Zombotron to get rid of the superfluous annoying limbs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The hardmode dungeon not longer activates until you kill Plantera. So you do need to kill a mech to get drax and mine chlorophyte.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

So is beating the WoF even considered the beginning of hardmode anymore?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Do you have a screenshot of the house? I'm getting the impression that your problem might be that your perfect room for your NPC isn't actually fully sealed off from the bottom floor, at which point he'll just populate wherever the gently caress he wants in the contiguous valid housing area.

Do rooms with wood platform floors no longer work? Because that's how it's set up. There's a wood platform in each room, and you go up and down the platforms to go from floor to floor. The platforms are only three spaces wide, the rest of the room is floor and ceilings as per normal. Am I going to have to basically break down the whole drat thing and make one central group of platforms with doors to everybody's self-contained rooms? Because I'm literally just remaking my stock house from 1.1 and it worked perfectly fine there :shrug:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

The Lone Badger posted:

The hardmode dungeon not longer activates until you kill Plantera. So you do need to kill a mech to get drax and mine chlorophyte.

That would certainly explain it; guess I wasn't paying enough attention. I must admit, I found Plantera to be one of the harder fights in the game period; maybe I was just doing something wrong. Even with the kit that trivialized the mechanical bosses, Plantera kicked my rear end soundly, twice, before I nailed them.

E: From what I've seen in my developments, NPCs seem treat wooden platform floors as if they shouldn't be on them at all, and will preferentially fall through them if forced. I could be mistaken, it might be something else entirely. I've got a nice big natural tree house with about three 'rooms', all made up of wooden platforms for divider walls and floors, and I've NEVER seen the NPC's stay on the platform floors, they're always all milling around at the bottom.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 14, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

Do rooms with wood platform floors no longer work? Because that's how it's set up. There's a wood platform in each room, and you go up and down the platforms to go from floor to floor. The platforms are only three spaces wide, the rest of the room is floor and ceilings as per normal. Am I going to have to basically break down the whole drat thing and make one central group of platforms with doors to everybody's self-contained rooms? Because I'm literally just remaking my stock house from 1.1 and it worked perfectly fine there :shrug:

Wooden platforms don't break anything. You've just run against some kind of AI bug, set up a dart trap to kill the NPC and hope he's not bugged any more when he respawns.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Hummingbirds posted:

So is beating the WoF even considered the beginning of hardmode anymore?

Your post is probably a rhetorical question but it still changes the spawns, plants the corruption/hallow stripes and allows mechanical bosses to spawn at night. It just eases people in a little more since eclipses, Plantera and dungeon hardmode are now behind an extra content gate.

I kinda like the smooth curve but I also kinda liked hardmode being a difficulty spike that puts you back in your place after gearing up to the top of easymode.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LAY-ZX posted:

Wooden platforms don't break anything. You've just run against some kind of AI bug, set up a dart trap to kill the NPC and hope he's not bugged any more when he respawns.

gently caress that, I'm pushing that son of a bitch into a pit outside with the Zombies. If he's gonna let them in all the time, he can deal with the consequences :black101:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Is there a way to hide your helmet in this game?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

Stick something unobtrusive in your head vanity slot like a jungle flower or hat you like. Other than that, I don't think so.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
The clothier sells the familiar wig so it looks like you aren't wearing a hat or helmet at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Or the Familiar Wig.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

The Clothier should sell a "Familiar Wig" for 1 gold that will do this for you.

edit: efb like 8 times

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Oh does the wig show your actual hair? I did not know that.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Perfect thank you

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The goggles and sunglasses will also show your hair while looking cool at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
All the "Familiar" items show your default clothing. It's not immediately obvious though.

• Locked thread