Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

Information that would have been useful to me a year and a half ago. :haw:

I still use waxed laces even though I dont clamp down on the foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I don't know. It probably was a skate. Going to ask the officials next game if they were on the ice when it happened.

My skates are so stiff the bottom laces stay in place. Just tighten the top 2 eyelets and leave the very top eyelet without any laces so I can bend more.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Thufir posted:

My division doesn't play on Sundays but the ones that do don't schedule games on Super Bowl Sunday.

Yeah. All divisions play on Sunday in my league, and we have the week off during Super Sunday.

But I also live in Alabama where football über alles.

Verman posted:

I just tried getting my inline team to sign up at another rink after talking about it all summer and everyone being enthusiastic. 20-30 minutes away, really nice facilities, cheap league fees ... Sunday morning/afternoon games.
Out of 12 or so guys that I emailed the majority of them denied because "its football season, get back to me in april"

:rolleyes:

One of my friends who runs Thursday night pick ups constantly makes fun of "Winter only" players in the emails.

sellouts posted:

Yeah I don't know. It probably was a skate. Going to ask the officials next game if they were on the ice when it happened.

My skates are so stiff the bottom laces stay in place. Just tighten the top 2 eyelets and leave the very top eyelet without any laces so I can bend more.

I mean, short of literally twisting it off somehow, a skate is the most likely thing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So, after blocking (more) shots in pickup - I'm starting to get an itch.

An itch to try goal for a game.

Am I insane? Like, I'm seriously poo poo out there as it is, but it's kind of fun to block shots. I'm an out of shape piece of poo poo with the flexibility of steel. So yeah, I realize this is very likely a retarded idea.

UNless I'm trying to make people laugh.... more.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've had the itch recently. Borrowed a friends gear and played net for the women's shinny. It was a lot of fun even though I was really bad.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've had the itch recently. Borrowed a friends gear and played net for the women's shinny. It was a lot of fun even though I was really bad.

I mean, I'd go in KNOWING I was going to let in a huge % of shots, but I just get this weird :smug: joy out of blocking shots when I get stuck back on D in pickups.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I got plenty of :smug: joy from blocking Topo's shots.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got plenty of :smug: joy from blocking Topo's shots.

:smug: I'm sure she was taking it easy on you. :smug:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I play in San Jose and we had a game during the 49ers superbowl.. I asked to have it moved and the league director said no.. We had like 5 people show up.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So I had minor eye surgery yesterday. All I cared about was if I'd be able to wear my contacts and skate tonight. Answer? Yes. gently caress I love this sport.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had LASIK done a couple months ago and skated 3 days later. That was first question I asked my doc.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

lets talk about how much going to a shootout without OT sucks.

also, shouts out to Communist Kangaroo, really gettin this hockey game thing down

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

So I had minor eye surgery yesterday. All I cared about was if I'd be able to wear my contacts and skate tonight. Answer? Yes. gently caress I love this sport.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"35 mph head on car collision? gently caress yes I'm still going to my game, I paid for that ice."

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JetsGuy posted:

:smug: I'm sure she was taking it easy on you. :smug:

I hadn't slept in 48 hours the last time he was in net for our shinny

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Looks like the PBR tournament added a "Brown Bottle" division for beer leaguers/less experienced players. Makes me wanna play again this year now that I stand a chance against the other teams...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An attempt was made today to teach a bunch of ~40 year old men how to skate mohawks in a straight line, which didn't go well. Most of us (myself included) felt we couldn't open the hips enough to get our blades straight enough to glide cleanly. Closest I could get was somewhere in the 170 degree range.

My curiosity is how much of this might be technique, or how much of it is a flexibility limitation.

ItalicSquirrel
Sep 6, 2004

Shouts out to Chemmy and Poser for helping me find a team in San Jose - fun first game this afternoon, and can't wait until I actually get back into game shape.

Y'alls cool.

e: holy poo poo I've been here for almost 10 years now.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

ItalicSquirrel posted:

Shouts out to Chemmy and Poser for helping me find a team in San Jose - fun first game this afternoon, and can't wait until I actually get back into game shape.

Y'alls cool.

e: holy poo poo I've been here for almost 10 years now.

HA! I was just gonna say how much it owned having you on our team.. It wont be that bad going forward I promise! Speaking of forward we will keep you there as well :)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Best 6 guys showed up and we spanked a bad team of 12+ dudes. So much fun. Id love to run a trimmed down team if everyone could commit to every game.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Wooo, first beer league game of the season. I'm graduating in December so I only get to play for half of it but I'm super excited to be back on the ice. (also we won, so that was cool)

ItalicSquirrel
Sep 6, 2004

You know that's a pretty smart move on your part. Down 5-3 without much of a forecheck... I lost my conscience.

And you should have gotten an assist on that goal, right? That's my thank you.

e: but yeah I was super-anxious because you never know about the level - I'm just glad that I didn't suck too badly at center

ItalicSquirrel fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 14, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Topoisomerase posted:

I hadn't slept in 48 hours the last time he was in net for our shinny

After this outburst, you now know what you must do. :)

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

An attempt was made today to teach a bunch of ~40 year old men how to skate mohawks in a straight line, which didn't go well. Most of us (myself included) felt we couldn't open the hips enough to get our blades straight enough to glide cleanly. Closest I could get was somewhere in the 170 degree range.

My curiosity is how much of this might be technique, or how much of it is a flexibility limitation.

I think it's all technique and comfort level/committing to the movement. There a very few people who can naturally open their feet up to 180 degrees with both feet flat on the ground.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I think it's all technique and comfort level/committing to the movement. There a very few people who can naturally open their feet up to 180 degrees with both feet flat on the ground.

it is a little easier on skates because if you do it while moving the skates kind of force you to. I think the first time I ever did it was on skates

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
The team that I run is having big problems giving up a lot of breakaways and high quality scoring chances. I know that a big part of it is that the the forwards and center typically end up deep in the offensive zone (e.g. behind the goal line or in front of the net), so that gives the other team numbers and passing lanes when they start heading towards our zone. I know at the very least we need to have our center hanging back towards the high slot if not further to help take away passing lanes and be in position to join the D on the back check. However, do you guys have any other recommendations on what we should be doing to limit breakaways?

Also, how do you guys handle cherry pickers? Do you just leave a defensemen back at your blue line with him and then a F/C drop back to the spot the D would normally be covering? Do you have the defensemen drop back towards the red line and then have the F/C that drops back hang around the top of the circle?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think what you're describing are problems with your defense.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Aniki posted:

Also, how do you guys handle cherry pickers? Do you just leave a defensemen back at your blue line with him and then a F/C drop back to the spot the D would normally be covering? Do you have the defensemen drop back towards the red line and then have the F/C that drops back hang around the top of the circle?

You have to cover the player. If I am on D and they have me back that far I'll just talk them out of it. "Hey! Play's over there, man! Your team needs ya!" as they hang out on our blue line. Like hell am I gonna let them get a cheesy stretch pass and go in on our netminder undefended.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
During the game last night, one of our D got the puck and started skating up with it. He's a good skater, so I called at him to take it up and fell back to... watch him make a pass that was quickly intercepted and I couldn't stop the guy from breaking and getting a goal.

:negative:

I'm such poo poo at this sport.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Your d needs to respect the high winger/"cherry picker" more. If your d isn't as fast as that guy is he needs enough buffer to be able to get up to speed with him. Holding the point in the offensive zone is pointless if they get the puck past the d and give up a breakaway.

Also lol at trying to talk someone out of anything. I mean if it works for you great but man I'm pretty sure id chirp the hell out of that for the rest of the game

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Looks like the PBR tournament added a "Brown Bottle" division for beer leaguers/less experienced players. Makes me wanna play again this year now that I stand a chance against the other teams...

Pretty sure they added that just because of how awful we were :hf:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Other fun from Sunday:

This guy in the league is well known for being a fucknig hot head in the lowest division we have. He slashes, cross-checks, and plays a lot of dirty hockey. Last night, he was doing it again, and it was being let go for whatever reason. One of the other team's centers, who is easily 20 years older, kinda nudged him a little (barely touched him) after a whistle and told him to chill with the slashing people.

Well, Mr. rear end in a top hat didn't like that too much. He skated full bore to the opposite bench and tried to literally pull the guy who asked him to stop off the bench. Again, hothead is 20 years younger and has 6" on the guy.

Anyway, because the refs didn't see the actual altercation, he only got 2 minutes for that. The whole 2 minutes he was standing in the box glowering at the guy who told him to chill out. Right as soon as his two minutes was up, he went right back to the opposite bench and started poo poo again. Yelling "LETS GO YOU AND ME RIGHT NOW PARKING LOT". Seriously.

So he got another 2 minutes because the refs were apparently friends of this guy (which I was told later) and decided to not eject him straight out. At this point, Hothead once again is standing in the box now screaming at the opposite bench. He FINALLY got ejected at that point.

Following that, he changed, and now is standing along the glass right next to the box and has his arms cross and is glaring at the guy who told him to calm down. He then went outside to wait for him in the parking lot. Seriously. No altercation came luckily though, as like five or six other guys made sure to go out there with the guy whom was being threatened.

If there's any justice he'll be kicked out of the league, but I doubt it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Your d needs to respect the high winger/"cherry picker" more. If your d isn't as fast as that guy is he needs enough buffer to be able to get up to speed with him. Holding the point in the offensive zone is pointless if they get the puck past the d and give up a breakaway.
I think it comes down to philosophy. I've had people say the same thing you are, but I've also had people go "woohoo, free power play!" And tell the D to stay on the point.

Probably depends on the relative skill of the cherry picker and the defense. If dude is glacial and the defensemen are good skaters, it's a little safer to ignore him.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If your philosophy is to give up a lot of breakaways you should stay at the point and let that guy go behind you.

It's not a powerplay if you're marking a guy that is outside of the zone. It's 4v4. Just because that guy isn't in the zone doesn't mean he's off the ice.

If the guy isnt cherry picking then it's not an issue, and the situation mentioned specifically that they were having this issue.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 14, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As par for the course, there is a team in our Bronze league who stacks their roster full of Silver players. Every single season. Right now, 8 of their 15 are playing down this season. There's been rumblings between the captains of making all of their games exhibition games and making them ineligible for the playoffs. This exact scenario with the same team happened a couple years ago too. They've been schooling everyone they've played so far. To top it off, they are a bunch of dicks for the most part. Last time we played them ~3 months ago, they gave one of our D-men a concussion and he hasn't played a game since.

We played them last night and beat them 4-3 in a shootout. There isn't a :feelsgood: big enough for that win. It was the first time we've ever beat them.

edit: Bonus shot of us mugging our goalie after he stoned their last shooter.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 14, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

has anyone broken an icicle with a deflected shot

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stalactites.
We actually play in a frozen cave. You can see by the snow drifts on the boards near the cave opening.

I've seen them get hit a bunch of times, but never break. They're surprisingly durable.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
There was a team full of dipshits here that were responsible for amazing games such as: http://stats.liahl.org/oss-scoresheet?game_id=92765&mode=display

I guess other captains in their division decided to boycott their games and they were kicked out of the league.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've seen some red scoresheets before, but goddamn. Did they basically get into a bench-clearing brawl with 30 seconds left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

FISTICUFFS