Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been searching for one for quite some time, I can't find one. If I did find one, I'd post there a lot, just to practice my Japanese. The culture for the kinds of messageboards that we take for granted here all flow from 2ch over there, and I guess their community and values flows with it.

But anyway yeah, there is an opposition to netuyos on 2ch as well, same as any big and powerful thing breeds an opposition.

I think it's more to do with a wariness to stand out on the radical left at all, no matter who you are. Ultranationalists are notorious for poo poo-shaming anyone suggesting something left of center and they've been that way ever since... erm, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frigate Orpheon
Feb 13, 2012
Let's not forget the Japanese radical left can also be pretty insane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Red_Army
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lod_airport_massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Red_Army
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asia_Anti-Japan_Armed_Front
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Japaneseism

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Reverend Cheddar posted:

I think it's more to do with a wariness to stand out on the radical left at all, no matter who you are. Ultranationalists are notorious for poo poo-shaming anyone suggesting something left of center and they've been that way ever since... erm, forever.
Or just outright killing them in public mid-speech (I'm sure this has been posted before but it bears reposting):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KROpdUkrM

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Looking at those links though, the majority of those activities weren't exactly activists in Japan gunning for Japanese change. The radical movements of the 1910s to me are especially fascinating though, especially the guys like Shusui Kotoku. I think that's partly where uyoku get their penchant for violent reactionism though. The Imperial government basically killed or life imprisoned anyone who was a high-profile leftist under the crime of anarchy (granted, a lot of them were openly advocating total anarchy; these guys had their eye on the Bolshevik revolution as much as anyone else) so I think uyoku derive their legitimacy, as it were, from that. This is more anecdotally related to the kind of work I do here, but I've been seeing a revival in Taisho period aesthetics, so I think sooner or later someone's going to shine a light on some of these figures as a continuation; uyoku be damned.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I think I ran into one of these this week on accident.

They were marching up the street with Japanese war flags and shouting really angrily in megaphones. I don't speak Japanese and my cousin didn't want to get any nearer to them, but he said they were shouting stuff about Koreans. Is there anything in specific issues these groups are angry about, or is it standard old conservative hate stuff?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

They were marching up the street with Japanese war flags and shouting really angrily in megaphones. I don't speak Japanese and my cousin didn't want to get any nearer to them, but he said they were shouting stuff about Koreans. Is there anything in specific issues these groups are angry about, or is it standard old conservative hate stuff?

If by "standard conservative hate" you mean stuff like "kill all Koreans" and "You thought Nanking was bad? Just wait!", then yes.

Edit: they're terribly ignorant but mostly harmless, unless you're obviously Korean and happen to wind up in the middle of them. The biggest danger from them is to your hearing from their trucks blaring that terrible music/old guy bitching about whatever.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 12, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I think I ran into one of these this week on accident.

It's basically just straight-up hate speech against Koreans (maybe Chinese, but the vitriol against China isn't as pronounced, at least in these kinds of demos anyway. I'm sure some netouyo like to bring up street-making GBS threads wherever they can though). Those drat black vans nearly ruined a concert for this poor pianist who was heading an outdoor concert I went to a few months ago, though. I think the police actually did step in and redirect them--because hello, it's a concert you idiots--but at least the pianist had a laugh about it. "Golly folks, it's a little noisy today, huh?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep posted:

If by "standard conservative hate" you mean stuff like "kill all Koreans" and "You thought Nanking was bad? Just wait!", then yes.

Edit: they're terribly ignorant but mostly harmless, unless you're obviously Korean and happen to wind up in the middle of them. The biggest danger from them is to your hearing from their trucks blaring that terrible music/old guy bitching about whatever.
The biggest saving grace of netuyos is that they are mostly worthless shut-ins who won't even get a job just so they don't have to rely on their mother for food, much less attack someone to demonstrate their ideals.

Once on 2ch I heard someone saying "man, those Anonymous guys actually go out and do the stuff that they talk about online! Why can't we be like them?"

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Glad I'm not Korean or Chinese and the hate speech isn't directed towards me.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

hadji murad posted:

Glad I'm not Korean or Chinese and the hate speech isn't directed towards me.

Don't worry, they hate everyone to some extent or another

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Don't worry, they hate everyone to some extent or another

What would happen if a white westerner were to wander near them, would they scream at them and shift the rhetoric to hatin' on America or some other thing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JosefStalinator posted:

What would happen if a white westerner were to wander near them, would they scream at them and shift the rhetoric to hatin' on America or some other thing?
I don't think so actually. They seem to be relatively with Westerners, since they aren't a regional threat to Japanese superiority. Also, they seem to be ok with Taiwanese, their only neighbors that that is the case for.

edit: any problems they have with the US government is attributed to Korean agents and/or propaganda. I am not even making this up.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think so actually. They seem to be relatively with Westerners, since they aren't a regional threat to Japanese superiority. Also, they seem to be ok with Taiwanese, their only neighbors that that is the case for.

edit: any problems they have with the US government is attributed to Korean agents and/or propaganda. I am not even making this up.

So Taiwanese are "one of the good ones", as are white people. Never change, Japan :allears:.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Unless you are in Okinawa. In which case the US people are the root of all problems.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

It depends. Some of them like Westerners and especially Americans to some extent because they see them as allies against China and (at least North) Korea, but some of them hate westerners too. I know that there are sometimes anti-western rallies, because I've seen videos of them, though they're definitely somewhat uncommon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kenishi posted:

Unless you are in Okinawa. In which case the US people are the root of all problems.
Honestly when I read hating on the US it's usually in the context of "our worthless government asks the US to stay here and protect us instead of doing it themselves".

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

JosefStalinator posted:

So Taiwanese are "one of the good ones", as are white people. Never change, Japan :allears:.

This is mostly because Taiwan was the first colony Japan took and was not subject to nearly the same amount of bullshit as the others (they wanted to make it a 'good' example of colonialism). That, plus the Kuomintang screwing up a lot of the stuff Japan did get right on the island, led to a lot of people feeling "hm, compared to this, Japanese rule wasn't so bad".

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
They really love them some Japanese culture over there, I tell you what. I went there on vacation a few years ago, and when I got to the hotel at around 5PM, 4 of the 5 channels where each broadcasting a different anime, some only a week or two behind the schedule in Japan.

They used to have this show over here, "Ainori", where a pink van full of singles traveled from country to country with some interaction with the locals and much angsty drama. Over several years, they'd crossed Africa, both Americas, and most of Europe, but Taiwan was the first and only country where there were actually fans waiting with signs when they landed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I forgot, there's definitely one area that they oppose the West on: the UN's position on universal human rights. We're for it, they're against it, since it would mean they would have to treat women and Koreans like human beings.

edit: I think our racists and sexists don't vocally oppose it simply because they don't know or care what it is, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 14, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I forgot, there's definitely one area that they oppose the West on: the UN's position on universal human rights. We're for it, they're against it, since it would mean they would have to treat women and Koreans like human beings.

edit: I think our racists and sexists don't vocally oppose it simply because they don't know or care what it is, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

Freep always treats everything from the UN as an attempt to impose the homosexual muslim agenda 21 on are country. And they are very sceptical of the idea of universal human rights for anyone they don't like (Muslims, gays, and gay Muslims in particular).

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

JosefStalinator posted:

I am not really sure that's are fair statement (painting Japan with the same brush as the netouyo). The "netouyo" while saying hateful racist things and being total shitheels, the high estimates put them at around 300k total and likely a lot less, most of those parades are around 200-300 people. So in a country of 126 million, I would say around 99.5% of Japanese are fine with mostly everyone. Just compare them to the tea party/birthers and I guess that's a pretty close comparison. And the tea party holds a lot more political power in america right now.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

In my experience, the critical factor is if the white westerner has a Japanese partner or not (And this will probably different for men vs women, though all of the western women I've known in Japan have gone off having a Japanese (male - could be different for lesbians, but I'm afraid I didn't meet any in Japan) partner pretty damned fast)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly when I read hating on the US it's usually in the context of "our worthless government asks the US to stay here and protect us instead of doing it themselves".

Also, it's not just the netuyos protesting the US military presence. That's more of an equal opportunity issue. The Communist Party does marches against that and so do some other groups.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Alternatively, this. I love the confused looks on the guys' faces.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Sheep posted:

Alternatively, this. I love the confused looks on the guys' faces.

For some reason I find it really amusing that based on the amount of luggage out and the fact that they have to wait for the marchers to pass they probably were on their way back home already.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wibbleman posted:

I am not really sure that's are fair statement (painting Japan with the same brush as the netouyo). The "netouyo" while saying hateful racist things and being total shitheels, the high estimates put them at around 300k total and likely a lot less, most of those parades are around 200-300 people. So in a country of 126 million, I would say around 99.5% of Japanese are fine with mostly everyone. Just compare them to the tea party/birthers and I guess that's a pretty close comparison. And the tea party holds a lot more political power in america right now.

I should have clarified, but "Never change japan" sounded better. I did of course mean the small minority of crazy nationalists - as a white dude who has been to Japan, I never met anyone who displayed any sort of negative feelings toward white westerners (aside from the general "ugh why don't you understand our language/ways" kind of typical frustration, shielded by politeness).

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Hahaha I just went to play a flash game on Armor Games for a few minutes, and before the game the ad was... a 15 minute video from the crazy right-wing political party Happy Science about Korean anti-Japanese demonstrations to do with war reparations/ianfu.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Happy Science has a political wing? And they're nationalist? I met their missionaries in Hong Kong and they were pretty open about being a religion (read: cult) that loves all people from all nations. And they had an anime to prove it. I'd think they'd be pretty anti-nationalist.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Happy Science has a political wing? And they're nationalist? I met their missionaries in Hong Kong and they were pretty open about being a religion (read: cult) that loves all people from all nations. And they had an anime to prove it. I'd think they'd be pretty anti-nationalist.
I think they're supposed to be pro-immigration but they are otherwise on the right of the political spectrum (pro-militarization, etc.) Just because they're loopy and talk about happiness doesn't mean that they're liberal or not crazy nationalists.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mystes posted:

but they are otherwise on the right of the political spectrum (pro-militarization, etc.)
Their founder has repeatedly described Margaret Thatcher as an angel of light - not an allegorical angel, but an actual being sent from heaven to save the world sort of thing. No-one to the left of foaming-at-the-mouth fascist would say that.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ookiimarukochan posted:

Their founder has repeatedly described Margaret Thatcher as an angel of light - not an allegorical angel, but an actual being sent from heaven to save the world sort of thing. No-one to the left of foaming-at-the-mouth fascist would say that.

Well biblical angels are actually utterly terrifying beings, pretty much God's WMD welding enforcers. Of course he doesn't mean it in that sense but he is accidentally accurate in his description.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Bloodnose posted:

They're basically Scientologists sans Xenu. Maybe you're thinking of Soka Gakkai? (Which people say is a cult, but I dunno if it's a cult so much as its members are more persistent than Mormon missionaries trying to get you to go)

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Reverend Cheddar posted:

They're basically Scientologists sans Xenu. Maybe you're thinking of Soka Gakkai? (Which people say is a cult, but I dunno if it's a cult so much as its members are more persistent than Mormon missionaries trying to get you to go)

Nah, they're pretty much a cult. My wife got tricked into going to one of their gatherings by someone we met back in the US; she had just said it was a "Buddhist" meeting, probably guessing that if she'd said "Soka Gakkai", my wife would've refused on the spot.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
What makes Soka Gakkai more cult-like than other religious groups? I knew people were wary of them because of their ties to Komeito, but where does the cult aspect come from (aside from, apparently, aggressive recruiting)?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

CronoGamer posted:

What makes Soka Gakkai more cult-like than other religious groups? I knew people were wary of them because of their ties to Komeito, but where does the cult aspect come from (aside from, apparently, aggressive recruiting)?

The Ikko Ikki. :v:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ookiimarukochan posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't tell you a single thing Thatcher ever did.

My wife was pretty surprised at the reaction to her death as she always thought she was well regarded for reasons she couldn't articulate.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Reverend Cheddar posted:

It was definitely Happy Science. I still have their pamphlets and their anime DVD. I haven't watched it yet though I saw it playing at their booth at the Hong Kong Book Fair. It had all these different racial caricatures of people from around the world being way into Happy Science. I remember there was a Native American guy who looked like T Hawk from Street Fighter.

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013

CronoGamer posted:

There are two aspects that probably feed into this. One, is its unusual amount of reverence for the third president and SGI president, Daisaku Ikeda. The other aspect is that they have a history of being affiliated with the Nichiren Shoshu school, who excommunicated them in the 90s. The Nichiren Shoshu school holds an exclusivist view in that they are the true version of Buddhism and all other schools are heretics, including the Nichiren Shu school, and the SGI doesn't explicitly state this but they don't generally work with other Buddhist schools.

I can't say much about them in Japan but I have been recently at a meeting stateside. I've been researching them more after the meeting, but that is all the experience I have with them and those are just the two immediate things that are striking to me.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Wibbleman posted:

Just compare them to the tea party/birthers and I guess that's a pretty close comparison. And the tea party holds a lot more political power in america right now.

In terms of rhetorical incoherence, it's a perfect comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
It seems like everyday my Japan google news feed has a story talking about Japan's low birth rate and how nobody wants to have sex and freaking out over it.

But if you look at the data, lots of countries have even lower birth rates, like south korea. They just have non-pantsonhead level retarded immigration policies to keep their population steady. Hell taiwan's birth rate is significantly lower and still grows.

Am I going crazy? Why is everybody making GBS threads on young women preferring to have a career instead of the shitheel government leaders killing their country by ~keeping japan pure~?