Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011
So some Japanese guy/girl randomely wanted to trade with me and give me a level 30 poliwrath with kings rock and a level 1 froakie. He also taunted me with a level 90 mewtwo but decided not to trade it. I wish people wouldn't do this because I feel pretty bad when the only pokemon I have are the pokemon from the beginning basically. At least I stocked up on pikachus from the forest to give out. People like pikachus, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Coq au Nandos posted:

It's in a room at the very back of the Ice Cave.

Awesome.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

Where's the TM for Flamethrower supposed to be? Google's not helping much.

In the Anistar City Pokémon Center. There's a Hex Girl there who gives you a TM each day depending on what time you visit her. If you visit her in the afternoon, she gives you Flamethrower (in the morning she give you Double Team, and at night, Substitute).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Nah. The stat changes are all retroactive.

Quick Edit: With move relearning and easy EV resetting, the only way I can see permanently gimping a pokemon is to either delete/overwrite an egg move, or to keep it from evolving based on levelup until it's reached level 100 and can no longer level up. I could be missing something, though.

Ah good to know then, I was planning on leveling up a Pichu to get Nasty plot and just wanted to make sure the eventual Raichu wouldn't be boned for all the Pichu levels.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Solus posted:

Does anyone know if trading would reset pokemon amie? My partner wants to give her eevee a fairy move but doesn't have a TM for it yet, but I do. So we were going to trade, give it the move then trade back, but if amie is reset then it's kinda pointless

It won't. I did a trade and trade back a little bit ago to evolve my Swirlix, and it was still at the same affection level after I got it back.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

HeyItsAyls posted:

In the Anistar City Pokémon Center. There's a Hex Girl there who gives you a TM each day depending on what time you visit her. If you visit her in the afternoon, she gives you Flamethrower (in the morning she give you Double Team, and at night, Substitute).

gently caress, I wish I'd known that when I was playing this afternoon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was just looking for an Abra and then this thing popped up.

:supaburn:

So what effects does the amie have on your Pokemon in the game? And is there anything more you can do with your mon other than petting them or feeding them? Man there is just so much to do in this game, I love it.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 14, 2013

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

gently caress, I wish I'd known that when I was playing this afternoon.

Just change your 3DS time settings and change it back after. You can abuse the day and night cycle doing this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Fetus posted:

So what effects does the amie have on your Pokemon in the game? And is there anything more you can do with your mon other than petting them or feeding them? Man there is just so much to do in this game, I love it.

The top screen camera also tracks your face. If you do a few head tilts, the Pokemon will eventually start a game where it requests faces for you to make at it. I have a hard time getting it to recognize "wink right/left eye" for some reason, though.

Anyway, maxing out the stats in Amie gives your Pokemon improved evasion and critical rates.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
MOUNDO

MOUNDO NO I JUST WANTED TO CAPTURE IT YOU FATASS

MOUNDO STOP

stop, it's already dead

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How do we get the fairy Evee? I maxxed one out on Pokemon-amie, levelled it up, no change. Tossed it and a Ditto into the daycare, took the new babeevee up to level 9 in the battle castle, learned Baby-Doll Eyes, leveled up a few times after that and still just an Eevee. What am I missing? Do I need to do both?

EDIT: on that note, is it safe to assume that the Pokemon Constant (Flareon sucks in every gen) holds?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bruceski posted:

EDIT: on that note, is it safe to assume that the Pokemon Constant (Flareon sucks in every gen) holds?

It learns Flare Blitz now.

So, yes, but less so.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Fetus posted:

Name it Jaundice.

I met Goomy finally! :3 I didn't realize that his mouth was stuck like that! It's so goofy looking! I named him Goombayah. He may replace Vivillon. Because as much as I love Vivillon, dude's made of paper and cannot take a hit. :(

Goomba Naming Logic totally works for Goomys. Goomies? The Goomies II. Hey you guys, Goomy is pretty neat!

Bruceski posted:

How do we get the fairy Evee? I maxxed one out on Pokemon-amie, levelled it up, no change. Tossed it and a Ditto into the daycare, took the new babeevee up to level 9 in the battle castle, learned Baby-Doll Eyes, leveled up a few times after that and still just an Eevee. What am I missing? Do I need to do both?

I wonder if it has a minimum level requirement. Get it to 20 and see if it evolves. I think you need to have one or two hearts at least (I had 2) + a fairy move. My Eevee was 19 when I caught it and it still had Baby-Doll Eyes. After spending some time poking it in Pokemon-Amie, it leveled at 20 and promptly evolved into Sylveon. Definitely don't need the friendship maxed out, though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kuhmondo posted:

Just change your 3DS time settings and change it back after. You can abuse the day and night cycle doing this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing this might screw up would be your berry garden, right? I'm not even to the second badge yet, but that's the only thing I've come across that uses passing time.

deadly_pudding posted:

The top screen camera also tracks your face. If you do a few head tilts, the Pokemon will eventually start a game where it requests faces for you to make at it. I have a hard time getting it to recognize "wink right/left eye" for some reason, though.

Anyway, maxing out the stats in Amie gives your Pokemon improved evasion and critical rates.

Do you wear glasses? In the manual it mentions taking them off. Taking mine off seemed to make it work better, but I'm not sure if that was entirely due to the glasses. Kinda sucks though, since I can't see poo poo without 'em. At least they give you plenty of time so you can swap them on and off.

The manual also mentions keeping your eyebrows clear, so if you've got hair or something covering them up that might mess with some things.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I think it's both. Last night I took my Eevee into Amie, got it up to three hearts for affection, taught it Baby-Doll Eyes at the Move Relearner then leveled it up. Bam, Sylveon.

Kidswhoneedjobs
Jan 16, 2013
How does skrelp evolve? GameFAQs says knowing camouflage and leveling up at lvl 37 but I just leveled at 42 knowing it and nothing happened? Do I need to hold the DS at 45degrees or something?

edit: never mind serebii says lvl 48 keep on trucking I suppose.

Kidswhoneedjobs fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 14, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Kidswhoneedjobs posted:

How does skrelp evolve? GameFAQs says knowing camouflage and leveling up at lvl 37 but I just leveled at 42 knowing it and nothing happened? Do I need to hold the DS at 45degrees or something?

Level 48.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
How does one see if a wild Pokemon is holding an item?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some crazy bastard just traded me a haunter... It evolved into a Gengar. Thank you random japanese guy named Yucchi. Also it was a female with a mild nature. Ah, the kindness of strangers.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dr. Fetus posted:

Raising your affection is basically like getting all those cool social link bonuses in Persona.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Benjamin Black posted:

How does one see if a wild Pokemon is holding an item?

A handful of Pokemon have the ability Frisk, but other than that you just have to hit them with a stealing attack and see if you get anything.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Last stupid question, I finally got my correct mawile, now where is the mawile-ite?

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Only 4 and 1/2 hours in and my pokemon have already been infected with pokerus. This is now two games in a row where I've gotten pokerus on my first day. :psyduck:

Also, I love the dramatic zoom-ins on your pokemon while you're choosing what to do.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Samael posted:

Last stupid question, I finally got my correct mawile, now where is the mawile-ite?

Shabboneau Castle, in the post-game.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I've been keeping my female Mawile and male Sentret in the daycare forever now, but still no egg. Am I missing something?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

HeyItsAyls posted:

I think it's both. Last night I took my Eevee into Amie, got it up to three hearts for affection, taught it Baby-Doll Eyes at the Move Relearner then leveled it up. Bam, Sylveon.

This is it. Got one heart and it evolved at 13.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Aurorus fans earlier in the thread were concerned that it'd end up with the stats of a slow defensive Pokemon despite its awful defensive typing. Well, Smogon's crack team of Pokemon research nerds say that it has 120 Special Attack and 70 Speed. That, combined with its Rock/Ice typing, is enough to make it a powerful force ingame, and might be just enough to eke out a niche for it competitively as a Choice Scarfer. (With a Choice Scarf boost, it outspeeds any unboosted Pokemon with a Base Speed less than 130.) It's a pity about the lack of good special Rock-type attacks, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ Does it even get power gem?

Is there an ore maniac somwhere, similar to BW, who you can sell mineral stuff at 2x price to? I've been holding on to a treasure trove of nuggets and star pieces in hopes of that, but no that I've unlocked the Paris boutique I see I'm going to need all of the money.

Side note, I love that the prices in there are completely realistic when you think about it. Assuming the money is yen, 3000 dollars for a coat, 2000 for a handbag? Sounds about right.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You noticed how in some wind battles there is a single tree in the background? Sometimes, if you use the right move, you can actually hit the tree and make berries fall from it! Then after the battle ends, you actually get the berry. I have no idea if you need to battle near a berry tree although this is a safe assumption. I know that it worked with my Farfetch'd and Air Slash/ Air Cutter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Are air battles one-pokemon only? My Aerodactyl got pulled along but my Farfetch'd stayed behind.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Nope, Ancient Power is the best it gets.

Also just bred a Mawile for Zenigata. No new Eggs moves (its dad was a Sylveon) but it does now get Sucker Punch at level 1. :stare:

Bruceski posted:

Are air battles one-pokemon only? My Aerodactyl got pulled along but my Farfetch'd stayed behind.

Some Pokémon aren't eligible, mostly smaller flying types. Farfetch'd isn't allowed, but neither is Pidgey or Fletchling, etc.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Amppelix posted:

Not as far as anyone can tell so far. Assuming it can't get it as an egg move or something, its best options for Rock STAB are AncientPower or Hidden Power, and it probably has better uses for Hidden Power. Power Gem would definitely be good for it, since it's now 80 Base Power.

It does learn Thunderbolt for BoltBeam coverage, at least, and rumour has it that its hidden ability is Snow Warning. It'd be nice to have a hail setter that doesn't come with all the disadvantages of Abomasnow, even if it has its own drawbacks to deal with.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010
Goddamn, this has been fun so far. I think I finally found a new thing, so apologies if it came up in the last thirty pages or so.

My Vespiquen picked it up when she hit Level 57.

E: I've found that Hawlucha's also excluded from Sky Battles, much to my disappointment. Mantyke participates no problem.

Bananachin fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 14, 2013

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Wonder Trading:

Sent out Scatterbug (which should be a High Plains, these Vivillion patterns will be my death) > Zigzagoon > Fletching > LUVDISC :argh: > Bidoof > Gulpin > Budew > Machoke became Machamp! Well. I'll keep you.

So yeah, I'm going to be tossing a bunch of Scatterbug up in Wonder Trade, but named after the wing pattern I have. And if I get any from not my area, I'll raise them for the wing patterns.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Farfetch'd apparently doesn't do sky battles. I had one with me and the sky trainer didn't want to battle me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Peewi posted:

Farfetch'd apparently doesn't do sky battles. I had one with me and the sky trainer didn't want to battle me.

Boo. Those stupid air trainers are racist against the best bird.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I just caught a shiny Roggenrolla in a horde battle :getin: I named it Lapis Lazuli, because I'm a giant minerals nerd and Gigalith's shiny form is blue

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nethilia posted:

Wonder Trading:

Sent out Scatterbug (which should be a High Plains, these Vivillion patterns will be my death) > Zigzagoon > Fletching > LUVDISC :argh: > Bidoof > Gulpin > Budew > Machoke became Machamp! Well. I'll keep you.

So yeah, I'm going to be tossing a bunch of Scatterbug up in Wonder Trade, but named after the wing pattern I have. And if I get any from not my area, I'll raise them for the wing patterns.

You can get a Steelix with Luvdisc. It's finally useful!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HeyItsAyls posted:

Some Pokémon aren't eligible, mostly smaller flying types. Farfetch'd isn't allowed, but neither is Pidgey or Fletchling, etc.

I'm assuming any pokemon which is shown standing on the ground in its animation will be ineligible for sky battles regardless of typing or ability (So that they don't have to make a second set of animations for it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bruceski posted:

Boo. Those stupid air trainers are racist against the best bird.

The only Pokemon I can use for Sky Battles at the moment is my BFF Vespiquen, who'd be torn apart by all the Flying attacks.

• Locked thread