Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
So Grav, do you take it out of the cooker (assuming you have one) and leave it on the countertop? Because I just leave mine in there for days on end and scoop out when I want some. The rice cooker carries a steady low temperature even after cooking. Is that the bad thing? :ohdear: And I'm not dead either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not like you're guaranteed to die or anything but there is a bacteria that loves to grow in cooked rice and it has made people sick. I wouldn't worry about it that much but I don't get why you're not using your refrigerator, that's what it's there for.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Rand alPaul posted:

I feel like barbecuing chicken this weekend but the salmonella outbreak, the lack of a recall, and the USDA not being staffed has me worried. Is it only Foster Farms brand chicken that have been linked?

I ate some of the effected batch, and I'm fine! Found out the day after we bought/ate it, but it's been 4 days and I'm fine. We tossed the leftovers to be safe, you're probably fine if you avoid fosters farms. The one time we buy it, of course it's part of a salmonella recall...

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I got a daikon radish and I made some kkakdugi with it. Are they (daikons) supposed to smell really strong? Like funky, not rotten. The radish looked good and was still crisp & not mushy. It had been sitting out all day since I bought it at a farmers market though. I cubed it up and when my roommate came back he complained about the smell. I've had it before and liked the taste, but will it get worse when it ferments? I used some of the salty radish juice in the pepper paste, would that make it smellier?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to adding herbs and spices (dry or fresh) to dishes so the flavor doesn't get cooked away or lessened?

Like, should you let certain, specific spices cook with the dish all the way through, or are you better off putting stuff in during the last five or ten minutes of cooking?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yes, daikon will stink up your entire house. Perfectly normal. Smell goes away after you cook it, and fermented daikon just smells better with time.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Drifter posted:

Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to adding herbs and spices (dry or fresh) to dishes so the flavor doesn't get cooked away or lessened?

Like, should you let certain, specific spices cook with the dish all the way through, or are you better off putting stuff in during the last five or ten minutes of cooking?

Pretty sure in general you add dry spices early on and fresh right at the end or to top the dish off after plating.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Drifter posted:

Dry herbs and all spices (herbs are leaves, spices are seeds, berries, etc) should be added to cook with a dish all the way through. Double bonus points if you fry up your spices in any fat you are using to saute aromatics at the start of a dish. The hot oil will bring them out more.

I feel fresh herbs don't have a clear "rule." Some things like basil and cilantro will quickly lose all their oompf with cooking and are best added right at the end. For instance, I basil up my tomato sauce at the same time I add the drained noodles to it to finish off in the sauce. So it only gets a minute or two. Parsley (flat leaf only, that curly poo poo is no good) I feel can go either way. It is nice cooked in, as it loses some of it's grassy quality but still adds an herbaciousness to dishes, but it's also good added right at the end. Hearty things like rosemary, sage, thyme do best cooked in even when they're fresh. They have very strong flavors that need to combine with the other ingredients and mellow.

Cook with fresh herbs erryday.

Also, HClChicken, your rolls should be just fine. Take it out, cover it with a damp towel and let it have a bit of a rise in a warm spot for half an hour, just like you said, and bake away. Mine usually sit at least overnight (wrapped in plastic, not sliced yet) before I bake them just because of morning time constraints.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not like you're guaranteed to die or anything but there is a bacteria that loves to grow in cooked rice and it has made people sick. I wouldn't worry about it that much but I don't get why you're not using your refrigerator, that's what it's there for.

Bacillus subtilis and B. cereus likes to grow on rice. It's not especially lethal but can make diarrhea and vomit inducing toxins. If you leave the rice out at room temp for an extended time even after refrigerating the bacteria can keep growing albeit quite slowly.

If you can help it, it's always better to cook something, let it cool to a reasonable temperature and then just refrigerate it right away afterwards. These steps will prolong the lifetime of whatever it is you've cooked.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I just came into possession of a pound (!!!) of fresh chanterelles. I've cooked with dried ones before, and I love them a bunch. But I don't know if I can just cook them like usual or if there's anything special I should know or whatever.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Vagueabond posted:

I just came into possession of a pound (!!!) of fresh chanterelles. I've cooked with dried ones before, and I love them a bunch. But I don't know if I can just cook them like usual or if there's anything special I should know or whatever.

Nope. Just cook them as you would any mushroom you respect, and you should be fine. They're good by themselves in a pan with just a touch of butter.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
So in general what's the difference between the dough for ravioli and the dough for pierogies? I'm curious about trying out filled pasta/dumplings, especially since I had some frozen store-bought pierogies that were so disgusting that they're provoking me to make some homemade just so that's not the note I leave that dish on.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My friend gave me a 2 lb picnic roast and we were thinking of making some pulled pork from it. Is there a good recipe for making it in a crock pot?

edit: I was thinking just some onions, garlic, vinegar but don't really know what liquid I should put on it. I've read water, chicken broth, ketchup, bbq sauce and more in different recipes online. Should I just make carnitas or something else instead?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 13, 2013

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My friend gave me a 2 lb picnic roast and we were thinking of making some pulled pork from it. Is there a good recipe for making it in a crock pot?

edit: I was thinking just some onions, garlic, vinegar but don't really know what liquid I should put on it. I've read water, chicken broth, ketchup, bbq sauce and more in different recipes online. Should I just make carnitas or something else instead?
I have an old pork recipe I pulled off of GWS a long time ago that works wonders. I don't have an exact copy of it, but the gist of it is to pat down your pork with brown sugar, put it in a crock pot on top of a quartered onion, put 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar and some Worcestershire sauce on top of it, and cook it on low for 6-8 hours. Take it out, shred it, add salt and pepper to taste, bam, pulled pork. After that, you'll probably have a bunch of liquid fat left, which you can make into a barbecue sauce. Strain it, pour it into a saucepan, add about 1/2 to 1 cup of ketchup (a picnic roast is probably really fatty, so err on the side of more) and 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke, then boil it on very high heat for a while. Once you like the consistency, turn the heat off and stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and whatever other seasoning you might like. I usually just mix it in with the pulled pork after that.

Speaking of slow cooking, anybody know of a good recipe for barbacoa, a la Chipotle? Google returns hundreds of results, all completely different and dubiously trustworthy. I tried this recipe here, but it turned out to be really underseasoned. (I should've suspected as much. 2 tablespoons total for 2 pounds of beef, and no salt whatsoever? ) Also, when I made it, I prepared some black beans and rice separately, but could I just cook those in the same pot as the barbacoa? Assuming it took 6 hours to cook, I could probably throw some dry black beans in with it, then maybe add the rice about 2 hours before it's done.

EDIT: Forgot the vinegar. Kind of important!

The Wu-Tang Secret fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 14, 2013

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Appl posted:

Nope. Just cook them as you would any mushroom you respect, and you should be fine. They're good by themselves in a pan with just a touch of butter.

Thanks! I put half of them in a risotto and it was a big hit.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Vagueabond posted:

Thanks! I put half of them in a risotto and it was a big hit.

Did you end up with leftovers? Mushroom risotto is my favorite for making arancini the next day.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Are we lacking a hot sauce thread or am I just missing it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The markets here are full of daikons. I don't think I've ever had one that wasn't pickled. What would one do with fresh daikon?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The markets here are full of daikons. I don't think I've ever had one that wasn't pickled. What would one do with fresh daikon?

We eat a lot of fresh daikon in my house. My girlfriend came up with this cool stew that we love, it's a riff on a Chinese dish that I buy from Kam Man.

Fusion Chinese-Korean Daikon and Chickpea Stew

This one requires a piece of equipment, but she also makes noodles out of raw daikon with a spiralizer:

Spicy Sesame Daikon Noodles

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Daikon and pork soup is the quintessential Chinese/Japanese preparation. Make a beautiful ramen broth with it using neckbones and it will be the best soup you've ever had.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

KirbyJ posted:

So in general what's the difference between the dough for ravioli and the dough for pierogies? I'm curious about trying out filled pasta/dumplings, especially since I had some frozen store-bought pierogies that were so disgusting that they're provoking me to make some homemade just so that's not the note I leave that dish on.

I don't know about ravioli dough, but here's the recipe my mom gave me that my (native Polish) grandma handed down to her:

quote:

Potato Mixture
5 lbs. (at least) Potatoes (any type, but russets work best)
Onions
Butter

Dough:
8 C. Flour
4 Beaten Eggs
1/2 Pint Sour Cream
Pinch of Salt
Water

Peel onions (any type) and cut in half. Slice each half into fairly thin slices. Saute the onions in butter until softened and partly carmelized. (You need to make enough onions to incorporate into the amount of potatoes you make as well as serving on top of pierogis.).

Boil potatoes until tender. Mash/whip potatoes with butter and incorporate onions into them. Note: DO NOT ADD MILK TO POTATOES. Also, potato mixture must be well cooled before putting into the dough.

For the dough, mix flour, eggs and sour cream together. Add just enough water to bring dough together. Form the dough into a log. Cut 1-2" slices and roll it out on a floured surface. Use a cutter to make round disks. Roll out each disk until about 1/4" thick. Fill with potato mixture/sauerkraut/prune, etc. (your choice) with a spoon. Do not overfill or they will come apart when boiling. Fold filled disk in half, press edge with fork to seal well. (Sometimes I use water on 1/2 of the disk to make a better seal.) Drop into boiling water and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until they float to the top. Drain; pour melted butter over them so they don't stick. Top with sauteed onions and sour cream (if preferred).

I think I've posted this recipe here before, but hey, anything that gets people to make more pierogies is fine by me.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Pick posted:

Is there a good place to buy weird, exotic fruit online? I sort of want a "let's eat weird food"-themed birthday party.

This is from a bit ago, but: you could always do a Miracle Berry flavor tripping thing and then drink vinegar and lemons and stuff? I know it's tragically 2008 to do "flavor tripping" but I still want to do it, and doing the miracle berry thing will probably be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying exotic fruit.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Gonna do some apple and pumpkin picking next weekend. Ideas for non-pie uses for the apples? I'll probably do one, but I wanna do some other things too. I'd also need to know what apples to snag.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Gonna do some apple and pumpkin picking next weekend. Ideas for non-pie uses for the apples? I'll probably do one, but I wanna do some other things too. I'd also need to know what apples to snag.

I cook down turkey thighs with a lot of onion in a dutch oven. Season with salt, black pepper, cumin and then add a layer of apple slices to the top and cook just until they soften. Pretty good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Apple butter is really awesome.

I really like honeycrisps as an eating out of hand apple. They also bake pretty well. Went appling this weekend and discovered "Mutsu" apples and they were absolutely awesome. Also winesaps are pretty good, too.

A nice bright sturdy apple like an Arkansas black would go well sautéed up with some blood sausage and crusty bread.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Braised red cabbage is extremely good when cooked with hardy apples, a bit of crushed caraway seed, and crushed juniper berries (if you have them). Finish with a spot of brown sugar and cider vinegar.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Fuji apples are my favorite. They've got a nice crisp texture and are very sweet, but not very tart. You could make a good applesauce/butter out of them, but it might take a bit of cooking compared to a softer apple. Around now is when the fujis are coming into season. They also store really, really well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm considering making some Acorn squash ravioli the next time I make pasta from scratch.

The plan is to roast the squash ahead of time with a little butter, salt, pepper and maybe just a touch of brown sugar.

What would be a good sauce to serve with them? I'm thinking of something with browned butter, but haven't gotten any further than that.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Browned butter and sage with a squeeze of lemon.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Browned butter and sage with a squeeze of lemon.

Fried sage. Also a touch of nutmeg.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Newbie question: is there a functional difference between a regular fish sauce and the Worcestershire sauce?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

Newbie question: is there a functional difference between a regular fish sauce and the Worcestershire sauce?

Yes. They taste completely different. Worcestershire has a spicier flavor and a bunch of other poo poo. Nuoc mam is just funkyfishy salty umami.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Apples and pork is a classic combo. Sautee some apple and some onion and smother a fried/grilled/roasted/whatever pork chop or loin in it. You can braise some apples and cabbage and onions and a bottle of beer together with a pork shoulder and it is fantastic too.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What kinds of rice do people prefer? I cook and eat a lot of rice, and am nearing the end of my 15 pound bag of jasmine rice, not sure what brand but it's been pretty good. I'm looking at ordering another big bag and just want some tasty recommendations from people who know more about it than me.

It will be used mostly in various mexican dishes and sometimes stir fries & thai curries. I'm looking at various recipes for spanish rice and most of them call for just long grain white rice, which would work but I'm wondering if there are better options.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So what are some good tomato/tomatillo cultivars for making Italian sauces or Mexican/Tex-Mex salsas (both red and green varieties)?

I'm thinking about planting some tomatoes and I'd like to know what kinds I'd get the most use out of.

EDIT: Also where do I go to learn how to dry stuff? I wanna dry me up some chili peppers and poo poo! :mrgw:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 15, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pryor on Fire posted:

What kinds of rice do people prefer? I cook and eat a lot of rice, and am nearing the end of my 15 pound bag of jasmine rice, not sure what brand but it's been pretty good. I'm looking at ordering another big bag and just want some tasty recommendations from people who know more about it than me.

It will be used mostly in various mexican dishes and sometimes stir fries & thai curries. I'm looking at various recipes for spanish rice and most of them call for just long grain white rice, which would work but I'm wondering if there are better options.

Brown rice? It's not "standard" for things like Spanish rice but you can still use it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I eat brown rice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Got a primer on making brown rice? I've been trying lately and it's always either crunchy or mush and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I looked up cooking times and water quantities and it seems like I'm doing everything correctly.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It feels really basic but I always do this and it turns out consistently good.

quote:

• Put brown rice and water together in a pot with a lid. Use the ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice. I normally make 3c rice with 4.5c water for a single batch.
  • Set the heat to maximum, and bring the rice/water to a boil uncovered.
  • Then put the lid on the pot, and reduce the heat to low/simmer. If your lid has a steam valve, keep it closed. Let the rice simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes. It’s OK if you let the rice sit longer than 10 minutes (20 or 30 minutes is fine too), but don’t let it go any less.
  • I prefer my rice to be slightly chewy, not mushy, so I usually remove the lid after 10 minutes.
  • Eat and enjoy. Be careful when you remove the lid, since a lot of steam may escape when you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I recently got a bag of botan calrose brown rice and it's pretty good. It's decently chewy, but sticks together fairly well. I've used it in my burritos and it worked well. I payed ~$8 for 5 lbs of it.