Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Starhawk64 posted:

The goggles and sunglasses will also show your hair while looking cool at the same time.

Same with the Eye Patch, the Jungle Rose, and the Mime Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

The Wiki article for the Paladin's Shield says that it deals a portion of the damage prevented to the character using the shield. Does anyone know how much?
(Wondering about it's protectiveness in SP)
You take the full damage that was taken from the person that got hit. It is however reduced by your defense so you usually just take 1 damage.

ex: your teammate takes 100 dmg after their defense is taken into account. It is reduced by 25 for a total of 75 dealt to them. That 25 is sent to you and reduced by your armor to a minimum of 1. If you had 20 armor you would take 5 dmg, if you had 24 or more you would take 1 dmg.

I have not tested it in single player, but it should either have no effect (but still gives the most defense for a single accessory and negates knockback) or reduce the damage taken per-hit by 25%. I have noticed that I don't take X dmg + 1 dmg when getting hit with it equipped, so if it does absorb 25% from you it does not then deal it back to you at 1 minimum due to your invincibility period.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I beat the real final boss and now I have a lil' buddy. He likes to spin. :toot:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It annoys me to a significant degree that I now have four Bone Feathers but no Wisp in a Bottle or Magnet Sphere. :argh:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tollymain posted:

Same with the Eye Patch, the Jungle Rose, and the Mime Mask.

I have one eye patch, no idea where though. The icon for it blends in to the background so well I can't ever see it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jusupov posted:

I have one eye patch, no idea where though. The icon for it blends in to the background so well I can't ever see it.

Heh. Did you check your face?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Machai posted:

Heh. Did you check your face?

It wasn't under the Swat helm :(

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I've found myself using the mime mask most of the time while playing. It has a particular effect especially with the right dye. I look exactly like the kind of person to show up on your world from out of nowhere, murder everything in sight while cackling gleefully, then build huge, insane monoliths with no cohesive design philosophy whatsoever out of the random junk lying around.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I end up using the social slots for storing backup stuff, like whatever helmet gives me a set bonus while keeping the miner helmet on for the light most of the time. I guess later on I'll need to reconsider my light source but the helmet's been the most convenient so far.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My sister discovered that goggles and a silver-dyed raincoat make an excellent mad scientist costume. Goes great with the Space Gun.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I can't for the life of me beat Plantera. I just need to try to get to the surface but I keep getting stuck.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I end up using the social slots for storing backup stuff, like whatever helmet gives me a set bonus while keeping the miner helmet on for the light most of the time. I guess later on I'll need to reconsider my light source but the helmet's been the most convenient so far.

Have you set up an alchemy garden? A line of ten to twenty clay pots will keep you in night owl and shine potions forever, and free up your head slot when you need more combat stats.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

watho posted:

I can't for the life of me beat Plantera. I just need to try to get to the surface but I keep getting stuck.

Build a Planteravator and then just fly right up it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Any tricks to finding the goblin tinker? I've beaten the first invasion, but I don't know where to look for him. Does he spawn in a particular layer underground? Will he spawn offscreen like a normal mob, or does he have a set location?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Kumquat posted:

Build a Planteravator and then just fly right up it.

I feel slightly very stupid now. :downs:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Nolanar posted:

Any tricks to finding the goblin tinker? I've beaten the first invasion, but I don't know where to look for him. Does he spawn in a particular layer underground? Will he spawn offscreen like a normal mob, or does he have a set location?

Get a spelunker potion and go to the dungeon, that is the easiest way. He spawns randomly.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Have you set up an alchemy garden? A line of ten to twenty clay pots will keep you in night owl and shine potions forever, and free up your head slot when you need more combat stats.

I don't have any glowing mushrooms but I've got enough dayblooms and blinkroots across a few worlds to at least get something started. But really it's because I've been sitting on my rear end about it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

benzine posted:

Get a spelunker potion and go to the dungeon, that is the easiest way. He spawns randomly.

The tinker doesn't spawn in the dungeon, the mechanic does. The tinker spawns in the regular underground.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The tinker can spawn anywhere at cavern depth, dungeon included. He's easy to find in the dungeon because like all bound NPCs, he takes one of the enemy spawn slots, and the dungeon tends to have a high enemy turnover rate.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

benzine posted:

No Safe Word posted:

The tinker doesn't spawn in the dungeon, the mechanic does. The tinker spawns in the regular underground.

Okay, thanks! The underground is the part with the brown backdrop, rather than the grey, right? And I should use a spelunker potion rather than a hunter potion?

Pumpkin Pirate
Feb 2, 2005
???????
Are there any mods that let you share minimap progress with the other people on a server? Even something I could run every once in a while to merge them all would be better than nothing.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Nolanar posted:

Okay, thanks! The underground is the part with the brown backdrop, rather than the grey, right? And I should use a spelunker potion rather than a hunter potion?

Sorry got confused, yes use the hunter potion, my mistake.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Joshlemagne posted:

I've found myself using the mime mask most of the time while playing. It has a particular effect especially with the right dye. I look exactly like the kind of person to show up on your world from out of nowhere, murder everything in sight while cackling gleefully, then build huge, insane monoliths with no cohesive design philosophy whatsoever out of the random junk lying around.

that's funny, I don't remember Sho ever wearing a mask...

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Is it worthwhile destroying all of the demon altars? I've just realised that about 1/3 of mine still exist.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Is it worthwhile destroying all of the demon altars? I've just realised that about 1/3 of mine still exist.

You should leave one for crafting, otherwise go for it, they will spawn additional hardmode ores.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Im about to fight woF for the first time.
Should I just build a super long runway in the underworld? The whole eat side of my underworld is obstruction free, so it won't take that long.

My gear is Molten Armour set with
Superior Diamond staff
Legendary fiery greatsword
Godly Sunfury
Arcane Lightning boots
Guardian flying carpet
Warding Tiger climbing gear
Armored obsidian shield
Wild Lava Charm

for a total of 36 def.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Brekelefuw posted:

Should I just build a super long runway in the underworld?

Yes, absolutely.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Brekelefuw posted:

Should I just build a super long runway in the underworld? The whole eat side of my underworld is obstruction free, so it won't take that long.

My gear is Molten Armour set with
Superior Diamond staff
Legendary fiery greatsword
Godly Sunfury
Arcane Lightning boots
Guardian flying carpet
Warding Tiger climbing gear
Armored obsidian shield
Wild Lava Charm

for a total of 36 def.

If you build a bridge and use some sort of magic/ranged weapon you'll be able to do it no sweat.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
is it possible to make a crimson biome in a world that didn't start with one? I brought in a bunch of crimstone blocks to my corruption world and filled an underground chamber with them, but no crimson enemies seem to be spawning

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 14, 2013

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

You can beat WoF pretty easily even without making a hell road if you have an obsidian skull and pop some obsidian skin potions. My group summoned him from the wrong side of our hell road the first time and beat him just by running to the right and jumping over stuff.

You should still make a hell road, though.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I bought this for android yesterday and I'm loving hooked :( I just bought the desktop one. Now I need to start carrying my phone charger around in public damnit.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Machai posted:

You should leave one for crafting, otherwise go for it, they will spawn additional hardmode ores.

Thanks. I'd better go re-spelunk some areas then.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cicadalek posted:

is it possible to make a crimson biome in a world that didn't start with one? I brought in a bunch of crimstone blocks to my corruption world and filled an underground chamber with them, but no crimson enemies seem to be spawning

I would assume it isn't possible, but I couldn't tell you. I'd say that a better test would be to try changing the Corruption to Crimson with the clentaminator if you have one, but either way the two biomes are just too different but take up the same niche.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Machai posted:

Though if you forget, it's not a huge deal to just go to another world to craft one of the four things that you'd want to craft at one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

President Ark posted:

If you're playing singleplayer, do not play on large maps - they're for multiplayer servers with 4+ people. Play small or medium if you really want a world that feels 'big'.
I wish I had done this when I first started out (this week). I've downed the Eye/Brain on my current Large map and seriously thinking of switching to a small one because goddamn large is too large for SP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

Good work, there, Necromancer. You're sure threatening now.

(Actually they're always threatening because jesus christ, the Hard Mode Dungeon does not gently caress around)

Once you get a spot setup the only danger is from those inferno-casting assholes. I had a pit from normal mode that ended up being deep enough where if you grappled to the ceiling stuff spawned down in the room, and Paladin hammers fell just short of reaching you. Coupious amounts of Nimbus, Magnetic Sphere, and Golden Shower made me a near-immortal murder machine when using the specter armor set. I could drop down every couple minutes to pick up the 5-10 gold (more if paladins died) and various gear to sell to the NPCs for more money.

Then I get to spend that plat trying to upgrade one of my spells, only to end up with the same prefix, or worse. :smith:

Hummingbirds posted:

So is beating the WoF even considered the beginning of hardmode anymore?

Wall of Flesh is the final 'normal mode' boss and killing it enables hard mode, so yes?

Also there seems to be a bug with the golem where you can get his head stuck in a wall. As one might image this trivalizes the poo poo out of him because you can kill the body, and if the head's close enough to the edge of the wall you can potentially still hit it with stuff like the Dao of Pow while it can't do anything back to you.

e: PAD stuff removed. :downs:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 14, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Puzzle and Terraria

You seem to have mixed posts for at least two threads here.

RatHat posted:

Pretty sure it is possible but you won't have any hearts so it's kind of pointless.

You also won't have a crimson chest in the dungeon. All you really get from it is crimstone gear, the meatgrinder and ichor (which gets you the golden shower spell).

vvvvv

Machai fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 14, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Be careful when destroying demon altars. Each one you destroy turns a random stone block in your world into Hallow/Corruption so it can gently caress up a quarantine if you don't notice it.

Cicadalek posted:

Pretty sure it is possible but you won't have any hearts so it's kind of pointless.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Cicadalek posted:

One of the Terraria wikis says that you can make a Corruption biome in a Crimson world but not the other way around.

Pierson posted:

I wish I had done this when I first started out (this week). I've downed the Eye/Brain on my current Large map and seriously thinking of switching to a small one because goddamn large is too large for SP.

Do it. I switched to a Small map recently after getting to Hardmode on two different medium maps (1.1 and then again in 1.2) and I don't regret it one bit, not even the 'moving all my poo poo' part. Small maps are fantastic. Go dig your first Hellevator on a small map and you'll know it's the right choice.

Also, finally got an Extractinator and 10 min later am the proud owner of a shiny new Diamond Staff. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really want to try Athena but I think the only team I could run would be lucifer and Gungho clearly wants anyone running Lucifer teams to kill themselves because you'd be spending a good 8-10 stones just because of Gigas even if the rest went flawlessly. :sigh:
http://www.padherder.com/user/Evilfluffy/#tttttttttt

Anyone see any other options? I don't see a Suzaku team being feasible either.

Once you get a spot setup the only danger is from those inferno-casting assholes. I had a pit from normal mode that ended up being deep enough where if you grappled to the ceiling stuff spawned down in the room, and Paladin hammers fell just short of reaching you. Coupious amounts of Nimbus, Magnetic Sphere, and Golden Shower made me a near-immortal murder machine when using the specter armor set. I could drop down every couple minutes to pick up the 5-10 gold (more if paladins died) and various gear to sell to the NPCs for more money.

Then I get to spend that plat trying to upgrade one of my spells, only to end up with the same prefix, or worse. :smith:

Wall of Flesh is the final 'normal mode' boss and killing it enables hard mode, so yes?

Also there seems to be a bug with the golem where you can get his head stuck in a wall. As one might image this trivalizes the poo poo out of him because you can kill the body, and if the head's close enough to the edge of the wall you can potentially still hit it with stuff like the Dao of Pow while it can't do anything back to you.

To balance that out they could do an attack-themed Warlord Series:
Lu Bu(dark), Saladin(light), Rurik(blue), Achilles(red), Mushashi(green). :black101:

What the hell are you talking about? It seems awesome though.

• Locked thread