Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So does the tv need to be on to boot into Wii mode via the gamepad? That's what it seems like but just want to confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It does require you to hit a TV-only button using the Wiimote pointer, yes. It's pretty dumb. You can hit it blindly if you have an idea of where it is, though.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Even when I successfully hit it blindly, my Wii mode can't successfully boot unless it detects my tv is on the correct input, so I still have to pause my TV show for a second either way.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Louisgod posted:

So does the tv need to be on to boot into Wii mode via the gamepad? That's what it seems like but just want to confirm.

If you boot it by pressing B when you turn it on, it should go straight to Wii Mode.

mulls posted:

Even when I successfully hit it blindly, my Wii mode can't successfully boot unless it detects my tv is on the correct input, so I still have to pause my TV show for a second either way.

You can also set your wii to do 'Non-hdmi" in the settings and you won't need to turn your tv on.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
My Netflix is still jacked up. I can watch one episode of something. Then I can't watch anything else but that one episode. Anything else doesn't work. And if I leave that episode and try to pick something else, then that one episode will no longer work. Restarting netflix just cocks it up for about an hour before I can pick another episode of something without the "we are sorry" message.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've recently started getting those same Netflix issues. Super annoying.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Chronojam posted:

I've recently started getting those same Netflix issues. Super annoying.

Yeah stupidly annoying. It's not my internet as netflix works on the pc's and tablets. But the wii-u is the only thing hooked up to the main tv so it's getting aggravating. And I'm not dragging my computer to the living room.

Recent development, if I pick a movei instead of a show, the movie will error out about 30 minutes in. So it's like I can only watch 30 minutes worth of video then I have to wait an hour to watch another 30 minutes.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its also stupidly annoying if you want to, say, play SSBB with Gamecube controllers but have to gently caress around with the Wiimote at startup when you could just as easily have been navigating the menu with the left stick and A button.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I recently moved from Mexico to the US, and wanted to update my country information accordingly. I go into my Nintendo Network ID settings and it will only let me change my state, not my country. Meanwhile, I can't go online if I claim I'm from the US because my Mii's information is wrong. Is there a way for me to update my country?

EDIT: Exploring a bit it says I can't change that information through the Wii U itself, that I'd have to do it through a browser, but I have no idea where I'm supposed to log in to do so.

EDIT2: Aww, it can only be fixed by calling Nintendo. Lame.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 13, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cliff Racer posted:

Its also stupidly annoying if you want to, say, play SSBB with Gamecube controllers but have to gently caress around with the Wiimote at startup when you could just as easily have been navigating the menu with the left stick and A button.

Wait how are you using Gamecube controllers?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chronojam posted:

Wait how are you using Gamecube controllers?

With a Wii, not a U?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Welcome to the new age (welcome to the new age).

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SatansBestBuddy posted:

With a Wii, not a U?

Correct.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Is this any good, is the latency bad?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I guess it's kinda true now :v:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

I guess it's kinda true now :v:

Context?

Edit: Some kind of fair, I'm guessing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a goofy "win a prize' thing in a random arcade. That sort of thing is pretty common. (I remember "Win the new Playstation!" with a picture of the PS1 around here.)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Context?

Edit: Some kind of fair, I'm guessing.

Sorry, here:

quote:

A stacker machine chain which occasionally dishes out luxurious prizes to customers that wish to play is currently advertising Nintendo’s latest home console as a Wireless Wii. Nintendo of America recently announced that it had hired ex Sony advertising chain Deutsch LA, so hopefully these mishaps will eventually be a thing of the past.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Wait, isn't that the advertising chain Sony fired for being extremely lovely?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

From what I've looked up, it's not a huge move either way; Deutsch will mostly be handling online marketing and social networking stuff, and Leo Burnett is going to remain Nintendo's primary agency.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Leo Burnett ehh? I know its not true but I love the idea of Nintendo's advertising agency just being one guy they hired off the street. Would certainly explain the lack of brand awareness.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cliff Racer posted:

Leo Burnett ehh? I know its not true but I love the idea of Nintendo's advertising agency just being one guy they hired off the street. Would certainly explain the lack of brand awareness.

'Guys didn't you hear the confused response to E3? Nobody understands it's a new console, we've got to change the name before it's released!'

'Shut up, Leo Burnett.'

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
What, don't appreciate my sense of humour? You people are the worst audience I've ever seen. Here have an introduction video to the Wii U by the Onion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiG4xzRtYNQ

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I like to imagine that whatever agency team that is working on the Nintendo accounts just sitting around doing jack poo poo all year until Christmas time because they don't want to advertise, yet still making bank.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What, don't appreciate my sense of humour? You people are the worst audience I've ever seen. Here have an introduction video to the Wii U by the Onion.

This is amazing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Mario-Brand Game Substance 75-A

That video was indeed amazing.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Replacing the Xbox and remote pile with a similar pile of Wii parts was hilarious. I also had some PTSD from my childhood "How to beat Nintendo games volume 5" watching days.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I didn't know saves defaulted to the USB drive you have plugged in and I accidentally formatted it and now my windwaker save is gone agggghhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

cat doter posted:

I didn't know saves defaulted to the USB drive you have plugged in and I accidentally formatted it and now my windwaker save is gone agggghhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I've actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. This is looking to be the first console game I've completed since Dragon Quest 8. Not a fan at all of this wind temple though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Harry posted:

I've actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. This is looking to be the first console game I've completed since Dragon Quest 8. Not a fan at all of this wind temple though.

Oh man I love the wind temple. But yeah it's no Earth temple. The earth temple is amazing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
These are early report figures and might not be entirely accurate but Wind Waker HD sold an estimated 152,000 copies for the first week of October in North America, good for fifth (behind GTA V PS3/360 and NBA 2K14 for PS3/360). Wii U also sold 35,000 consoles for second best that week (behind 360, ahead of PS3). This all coming from VHChartz.

If accurate, good for Zelda and the Wii U. I had a feeling it was going to be a decent seller. Seems like a lot of new Wii U owners this past week because of the game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I can't help but think just how much better the Wii U would have done if they had actually had a halfway compelling lineup of games at launch. Maybe the lackluster marketing still would have caused problems...

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Harry posted:

Are you taunting me with your not deleted save? :(

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

These are early report figures and might not be entirely accurate but Wind Waker HD sold an estimated 152,000 copies for the first week of October in North America, good for fifth (behind GTA V PS3/360 and NBA 2K14 for PS3/360). Wii U also sold 35,000 consoles for second best that week (behind 360, ahead of PS3). This all coming from VHChartz.

If accurate, good for Zelda and the Wii U. I had a feeling it was going to be a decent seller. Seems like a lot of new Wii U owners this past week because of the game.

I'm one of those new owners, although I got mine pre-owned since it was like $250.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I assume VHChartz is VGChartz in which case they are the least reliable source on the internet and historically their method has been to literally just make numbers up.

If they're in the right ballpark though those would be good numbers for WWHD. Better than I was expecting, even, considering the digital version has been out for a couple of weeks.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can't help but think just how much better the Wii U would have done if they had actually had a halfway compelling lineup of games at launch. Maybe the lackluster marketing still would have caused problems...

The Wii U had a fantastic launch week but a horrendous launch year. The fact the console had maybe five games released between January and June was just embarrassing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope the good Zelda numbers encourages Nintendo to do more HD remakes for Gamecube era games. There are so many that would be beautiful, and with just a little tweaking be vastly improved.

Mario Sunshine, for example, if you put in a blue coin tracker and made them available in all iterations of a given levels map.

Twilight Princess if you fixed some pacing issues, and slow text and repeated rupee notifications and colored it up, and flip the world whichever way you want.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

greatn posted:

I hope the good Zelda numbers encourages Nintendo to do more HD remakes for Gamecube era games. There are so many that would be beautiful, and with just a little tweaking be vastly improved.

Mario Sunshine, for example, if you put in a blue coin tracker and made them available in all iterations of a given levels map.

Twilight Princess if you fixed some pacing issues, and slow text and repeated rupee notifications and colored it up, and flip the world whichever way you want.

I hope twilight princess never sees a remake. I would rather see another OoT remake than to have that steaming pile of Goron crap on the shelf.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I hope this actually becomes a trend in HD ports. Not in a George Lucas way, but in a fix old bad game design kind of way. There are so many games that would go from great to amazing with a little tweaking and cutting down on the tedium.

Oh btw, is there anywhere online to buy cheap download codes for eshop games? I wanted to grab zombi u and monster hunter 3 but they're $40 and $80. Do download codes even work in every region or is there blocking?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

greatn posted:

I would pay so much money for Super Mario Sunshine HD, especially if they redo the soundtrack with live instruments. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jhorphear posted:

I hope twilight princess never sees a remake. I would rather see another OoT remake than to have that steaming pile of Goron crap on the shelf.

:stare:

You cray cray.

Stallord is my favourite boss fight ever.

• Locked thread