Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Shaggar posted:

the promenade is more like street shops + vendors than a mall, imo

it's designed like a mall. one of the series shortcomings. they would talk like they are on the gritty streets of colonial morocco while standing in what looks like an upmarket mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Amethyst posted:

it's designed like a mall. one of the series shortcomings. they would talk like they are on the gritty streets of colonial morocco while standing in what looks like an upmarket mall

you lived through 90s scifi tv shows and movies people legit thought that the future would look like malls

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Al! posted:

theres the automat but that doesnt count

the replimat is free (for poor people)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Al! posted:

you lived through 90s scifi tv shows and movies people legit thought that the future would look like malls

mos eisly didn't look like a mall

in the good movies at least

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Amethyst posted:

mos eisly didn't look like a mall

in the good movies at least

the good movies werent made in the 90s

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Also none of them were the future.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

they took place in the future in all the ways that matter

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think bttf 2 heralded the future as giant shopping mall motif beause it was made in 89 just like baker st heralded the 80s rock sax solo even tho it was made in the 70s

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the future probably will look like a giant shopping mall but not the shady parts, like the ds9 promenade was meant to be

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

in the 60s the future looked like university buildings because thats when they were building all the university buildings. in the 70s it looked like housing projects. in the 80s it looked ruined and hosed up because reagan was president

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the dominant sci fi look for the 00s was the matrix look. so corporate skyscraper I guess

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

MancXVI posted:

i liked that outdoor mall in downtown san diego the one time i went there. didn't buy anything but the layout/architecture reminded me of some space future shopping district

horton plaza. for some reason it was in "attack of the killer tomatoes eat france".

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Al! posted:

quark edged every other restaraunt out of the station. you dont see that racist dude who sells bajoran popsicles after a while too

little known fact: quark had his competitors killed and used as raw material for his replicator

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

there's just a giant hopper in the back room and a broom handle that he uses to push the bodies in.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Can-O-Raid posted:

yes

(sproing)

He was also in Action Trek: Borg Punch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so what are those klingons saying in the iphone 5c commercial

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

haveblue posted:

Bing! translates both dialects of klingon

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

gonna guess it's some form of greeting

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Smythe posted:

you can tell ds9 is hella 90s because they pretend people actually LIKE hanging out in the mall.

the entire promenade is portrayed like a tiny lovely mall. tbh i get that weird creepy icky gross claustrophobic mall feeling whenever they're hanging out there. WANNA GOTO QUARKS OR MAYBE ORANGE JULIUS?

come to orange julias, orange julias is fun, come right now, don't walk, run!

nope doesnt have the same ring

e: lol i forgot i opened this tab last night and didnt f5 before posting

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Usagi-Sauce posted:

hey nerds forget the shopping mall chat and tell me why reamde was such a loving turd

i mean apart from because neal stephenson

even tom clancy gave more loving thought to the ideology behind his writing before he dropped trou and sat on the typewriter

it looks like you have your answer

also tom clancy had a couple of decent characters and story ideas that the reader could believe were plausible and even though he couldn't write dialog and his pacing was god awful his books didn't really start sliding into a toilet until ~jack ryan 6||7 which was (oddly enough) coincidentally around the time he got a staff to crank out all his writing and he turned into an ideas guy and those earlier threads of story and characterization at least sorta constrained the rest of "his" books to something resembling a readable story

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

golgo13sf posted:

Finished Kraken.

It was mental, loving insane, and half the time I had no loving idea what was going on.

I also enjoyed it quite a bit.

I just read Kraken a little while ago and it was awesome

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tom clancys pacing bbbdpad? yeah i guess six hundred pages in an airplane novesl might be a little bit too liong

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

GLORY TO YOU

AND YOUR PPPPHHHOOONNNNEEEE

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
originally i thot galron was the worst cast char in trek but after some time i changed my mind and now hes 1 of the best

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Amethyst posted:

the dominant sci fi look for the 00s was the matrix look. so corporate skyscraper I guess

bad guys = corporate skyscraper
good guys = suburban teen goth's closet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i would say the dominant aesthetics in scifi today are apple products and kind of the 60s but the future

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Al! posted:

i would say the dominant aesthetics in scifi today are apple products and kind of the 60s but the future

Yeah I was going to say, if the future is anything like its being depicted lately, start investing in windex.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Yeah I was going to say, if the future is anything like its being depicted lately, start investing in lube.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Smythe posted:

originally i thot galron was the worst cast char in trek but after some time i changed my mind and now hes 1 of the best

please tell me you agree with me that he would be an awesome, awesome pick for a live-action version of the sorceror from The Sorceror's Apprentice where mickey mouse murdered his demonic broomspawn

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

please tell me you agree with me that he would be an awesome, awesome pick for a live-action version of the sorceror from The Sorceror's Apprentice where mickey mouse murdered his demonic broomspawn

perfect

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Al! posted:

they should've done a spinoff of ds9 that was about a struggling black scifi author in new york city in the 30s dealing with his own mental illness

that episode was loving perfect on its own

also just in general ds9 rules for its racial politics. having a black single father who is a good dad who has a good relationship with his son and stuff. i can't name another show that takes that seriously, and shows it on-screen rather than just being mentioned off-hand

Edje
Aug 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also just in general ds9 rules for its racial politics. having a black single father who is a good dad who has a good relationship with his son and stuff. i can't name another show that takes that seriously, and shows it on-screen rather than just being mentioned off-hand

the ep where the characters have to help out vic in his 50s holodeck program and sisko goes "think i'd have been in charge in the 50s? gently caress this and gently caress you"

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

angry_keebler posted:

because neal stephenson

b-but i like neal stephenson when he stays at least +20/-200 years away from contemporary fiction

kinda wonder if he just bashed out a short story about a cool dude who made a mmorpg & told his uncle who wrote interface with him to wrap a big fat guns & sex plot around it

and then spent a year getting drunk at medieval times and expensing it as research for his kickstarter

at least that's been a laff factory

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

oh yeah, i totally forgot about his sword fighting project. let's look it up...

quote:

The campaign's funding goal of $500,000 was reached by the target date of July 9, 2012

cool! i cant wait t--

quote:

The project ran out of money in September 2013.

ahahahahahahahaah

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i read somewhere that brooks made them add that line in at the end where hes like ill be back because he was all seriosly youre going to make the black man abandon his wife and kids

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Al! posted:

i read somewhere that brooks made them add that line in at the end where hes like ill be back because he was all seriosly youre going to make the black man abandon his wife and kids

good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Edje posted:

the ep where the characters have to help out vic in his 50s holodeck program and sisko goes "think i'd have been in charge in the 50s? gently caress this and gently caress you"

i always found that poo poo kinda strange

like if we had the holodeck right now, would we spend 100% of our time in a simulation of haydn's vienna?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

neal stephensen is yet another writer who would be great with a good, strong, editor

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i always found that poo poo kinda strange

like if we had the holodeck right now, would we spend 100% of our time in a simulation of haydn's vienna?

computer, load program "mr. hands"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

neal stephensen is yet another writer who would be great with a good, strong, editor

yyuuuuupppp

• Locked thread