Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It bums me out that some of the special/mission songs never seem to play on the normal radio. Sometimes I just want to drive around listening to Chicago and drinking the pain away.

e: I may actually end up spending even more money to buy the game's soundtrack, what have I become

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Is there a list of what missions match up to which song on the score soundtrack? I'm listening to them right now and some of them are pretty obvious from the title but others I don't remember at all, they don't seem to be particularly in order either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chard posted:

It bums me out that some of the special/mission songs never seem to play on the normal radio. Sometimes I just want to drive around listening to Chicago and drinking the pain away.

e: I may actually end up spending even more money to buy the game's soundtrack, what have I become

That song plays all the time for me.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
There is mist in this game right? Because I was playing today and my line of sight was incredibly short, and there was this white, well yeah, mist, hanging around buildings. At first I was afraid my PS was dying, but a couple of in hour games later the sun was shining and everything looked great again.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

beedeebee posted:

There is mist in this game right? Because I was playing today and my line of sight was incredibly short, and there was this white, well yeah, mist, hanging around buildings. At first I was afraid my PS was dying, but a couple of in hour games later the sun was shining and everything looked great again.
Mist? Not sure. Fog? Yes. ;)

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. My brain stopped working for a moment :downs:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Crows Turn Off posted:

Should be a more brown tint for LA.

Just be glad the game isn't set in a more northern west coast city. Being able to see more than 10 feet in front of you is a good day

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
No wonder lung capacity is so poo poo.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

This game's Tangerine Dream score doesn't get enough credit. Between that and the Max Payne 3 score by HEALTH, Rockstar is using the "single artist/band score" in a great way that no other videogames I know of have pulled off.

You're probably aware but it wasn't just TD, Oh No (Madlib's brother) and Woody Jackson (RDR soundtrack) collaborated and DJ Shadow mixed all 3 composers' contributions into the score. Several big names.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

That song plays all the time for me.

Thanks jerk, stop using up all the plays and let me get some. That's how licensing works right?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Chard posted:

Thanks jerk, stop using up all the plays and let me get some. That's how licensing works right?

Looking to trade Smokin' N' Ridin' for Party all the Time or Music Sounds Better with You.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
On the subject of the soundtrack, does anybody know the song that seems to be Michael's family's theme? It plays when he's reading the note from Amanda saying she's leaving him and during "Reuniting the Family"

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s
Are there any decent guides around for the random events? That map in the OP doesn't work for me.

Just something saying how to trigger them (like what time of day or any other special conditions), the SC map isn't much use in that respect.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm now starting to catch on to a lot of the DJ/talk radio chatter...does everyone have an opinion on Coffee Enemas? I swear I've heard a ton of people talk about it and just yesterday on Space FM I hear "Don't put coffee in yo' booty, put some bootsy in yo coffee!"

It also seems that certain songs and quips are locked to time of day, so if you feel like you're missing out on a certain song try staying alive and out of bed for extended periods of time.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Is it possible to hang out with Amanda before the end of the game? I kept attempting to earlier on thinking I'd get some backstory but it never seemed to work.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It also seems that certain songs and quips are locked to time of day, so if you feel like you're missing out on a certain song try staying alive and out of bed for extended periods of time.

There are definitely DJ clips that are time-sensitive, like around dawn several of them say Good Morning Los Santos or some equivalent. Probably really basic to do for R* but I love that they bothered.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

On the subject of little touches in the game. I love, probably more than I should, that your car *clicks* and *tinks* when you get out as it cools off.

I told my wife and even she said Wow, thats pretty cool. :shobon:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

Is it possible to hang out with Amanda before the end of the game? I kept attempting to earlier on thinking I'd get some backstory but it never seemed to work.
You can do it before the Yoga incident, and after the reunion (possibly not between Meltdown and the last mission, but I didn't try every time of day). Sometimes you get "we both have stuff to do" replies if you have missions, but if you try calling during daytime it should work.

You don't get a lot of backstory, though, before it's more passive-aggressive with outright insults, after it's more friendly banter and insults in jest.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Chard posted:

You are becoming one of those California Girls, that don't believe in nothing.

I'm just bringing up that song because the youtube video for that song had like 200 hits before GTA V and now it has like 200,000

Beeez
May 28, 2012

orcane posted:

You can do it before the Yoga incident, and after the reunion (possibly not between Meltdown and the last mission, but I didn't try every time of day). Sometimes you get "we both have stuff to do" replies if you have missions, but if you try calling during daytime it should work.

You don't get a lot of backstory, though, before it's more passive-aggressive with outright insults, after it's more friendly banter and insults in jest.

Huh, that's weird, I thought I tried calling during the day.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

numbs posted:

Just out of curiosity, what did you do to your pet?

The picture would suggest he had his dog's ears sliced up- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cropping_(animal)

orcane posted:

It made me smile when I took Amanda out drinking in the early game- on the way to the bar her and Michael just argued, but on the way back they drunkenly went on about how much they loved each other.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm just bringing up that song because the youtube video for that song had like 200 hits before GTA V and now it has like 200,000

I hope the same thing happens to THUNDERCAT because his album that "Oh Sheeit it's X" is from is loving fantastic.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

It made me smile when I took Amanda out drinking in the early game- on the way to the bar her and Michael just argued, but on the way back they drunkenly went on about how much they loved each other.
There are also a few transitions in which Michael drops her off, you can follow her and keep talking to her (with d-pad right) and she'll react differently in the early and late game.

I don't know, I'm probably in the minority but I liked Michael and his family. I think during my first playthrough I got up to 45% usage with him before I started tracking down collectibles (which I mostly did with Franklin).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

orcane posted:

There are also a few transitions in which Michael drops her off, you can follow her and keep talking to her (with d-pad right) and she'll react differently in the early and late game.

I don't know, I'm probably in the minority but I liked Michael and his family. I think during my first playthrough I got up to 45% usage with him before I started tracking down collectibles (which I mostly did with Franklin).

I'm on board with this, "GTA protagonist who has a family" is a pretty difficult challenge to deal with and in hindsight they made it look easy, if not completely successful. Endgame musings The weird "Our dad is a loving nutcase but he's our nutcase...and he's rich" place that the family ends up in is hilariously appropriate to the rest of the games America which is pretty much just our Cognitive Dissonance turned up to ten and handwaved away with monstrous laziness.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 15, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Uh you didn't mark you spoilers correctly there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Sorry guys, you can blame me for knowing too early that Michaels family are FIB undercover agents who are trying to get Trevor to come back to Los Santos :(

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Sorry for being dense, but in the OP, the guide on how to make the most money post game says:

quote:

Step 1: Invest in Debonaire before the mission. After the mission pull out of Debonaire and then INVEST in Redwood!!!! My Return = 300%

I invested in Debonaire, sold up after the mission and got about a 30% return on my shares, then invested in Redwood and the price isn't rising. When should I have sold? It's been about three days in game. There's something about exploiting the sleep/save cycle, too. But a quick google turned up nothing. Anyone mind explaining it to me?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

7seven7 posted:

Sorry for being dense, but in the OP, the guide on how to make the most money post game says:

I invested in Debonaire, sold up after the mission and got about a 30% return on my shares, then invested in Redwood and the price isn't rising. When should I have sold? It's been about three days in game. There's something about exploiting the sleep/save cycle, too. But a quick google turned up nothing. Anyone mind explaining it to me?

I didn't have any luck in getting Redwood to rebound in price, and eventually just gave up. Others have had luck. Apparently the recent updates altered it a little bit, and no one has come down definitively with it. It's not that big a deal--you'll have enough money to buy everything. I lost about 800k by investing in Redwood, and I'm only about 3mil off of being able to buy the country club on Trevor. Michael and Franklin own everything else, and they both have something like 120 mil to spare.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Going back to single player after spending so much time with the online stuff is so disappointing. I miss all those handy features like the expanding map and car insurance and vehicle delivery :(

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

7seven7 posted:

Don't reload a savegame, because that kills your returns (it halves each time you reload, sorry!).

If you haven't reloaded, try driving around rather than just sleep cycling - it seems to happen quicker that way. And make sure it isn't the weekend, as the stock market doesn't move on the weekend.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Switching characters should give you some movement too

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Ah, OK. Thanks. I'll try and keep an eye on that. Cheers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I asked this in the online thread but no one responded:

How do I blow up Riot vans? I threw stickies directly on the engine and all over the sides of it and I don't even think it dented it. It makes sense they would be explosion proof but how am I supposed to blow it up when the mission calls for it?

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004
I think enough grenade launcher shots ought to do it. It is how I destroyed several Rhinos when required.

On a side note, the stick bombs are fantastic for "killing" NPCs that you can't shoot.

Michael's family was sitting around the dining room table with the door opened. Couldn't shoot them, but could throw in a stick and blow them all up.

Really satisfying in many instances, especially certain characters that ask you to tow cars, or patrol borders...

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I am disappointed they made getting drunk less fun. Getting drunk in GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption was hilarious every time.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

e: wrong thread

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Getting drunk still has its moments, though we don't quite get random NPCs tripping over steps in the background of a card game like in Red Dead Redemption. Michael and Amanda for one pairing, as has been said, have some interesting times.

"I love you, Michael Townley Fake Name!"

"I love you Amanda De Santa!"

:unsmith:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Blast Fantasto posted:

This game's Tangerine Dream score doesn't get enough credit. Between that and the Max Payne 3 score by HEALTH, Rockstar is using the "single artist/band score" in a great way that no other videogames I know of have pulled off.

It's not just them, the official soundtrack credits: Tangerine Dream, Woody Jackson, The Alchemist, Oh No & DJ Shadow, which is pretty loving impressive on its own!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sartana posted:

I enjoyed Lost and the Damned a lot, but I hated Johnny as a character. Some of his "tough guy" lines were just hilarious, especially in GTA4, like "YEAH, LET'S GO DEAL SOME DRUGS! NOTHING LIKE DEALING SOME DRUGS TO MAKE YOU FEEL ALIVE" and doing the Stubbs missions made him seem like a totally inconsistent hypocrite. Killing him off was a great introduction to Trevor for me, and made me instantly fall in love with him. Out with the old, in with the new.

Yeah, Johnny and the rest of the Lost and the Damned cast fell into two camps, shitheels(Billy, Brian), and people who have no actual lines(the black road captain, for instance.)

They did make killing Brian immensely satisfying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Trevor has some nice facial expressions. I love his look on the "That's greaaaaaaat!" line at Michael's house.

• Locked thread