Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

There was an A/T thread about real life quidditch a few weeks back. It's not as lame as you'd think.

It's way lamer.

Ain't that the truth. I found the Wikipedia article with accompanying picture:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Christian Knudsen posted:

DITCH THE BROOMS. THE BROOMS. LOSE THEM! SERIOUSLY!

If you lost the brooms and actually let people use their hands like regular human beings, the bloody game might make some kind of sense. I mean it wouldn't really, because the rules are deliberately stupid, but you might be able to force it into the shape of something resembling a kind of handball type thing with too many balls. With the brooms, it's basically cosplay.

That or as I said, replace them with 100cc motorbikes, or tiny horses. Quidditch-polo could be sorta awesome.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I was going to say running around with a broomstick rubbing and banging on your junk for however long can't be good for it, but looking at that photo, I don't think anything of value is being lost.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TetsuoTW posted:

I was going to say running around with a broomstick rubbing and banging on your junk for however long can't be good for it, but looking at that photo, I don't think anything of value is being lost.

One of them's an Aggie. He's probably lost all feeling down there years ago.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I know I posted this in the Kickstarter thread in Games last night, but it deserves to be in this thread too. This is an actual promotional picture used in an update for the delusional, goon-run, all-volunteer City of Heroes ripoff MMO City of Titans:

They've raised over $400k.

On one hand, I loved city of heroes and would love to see a sequel/successor. On the other hand, I have no confidence these people can do it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

I'll bet they wear cups. If not, like you said no big loss.

Maybe we can invent kickstart some sort of Quidditch-chaps that help with the rubbing/banging on the inside of their legs.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Little kids are stupid, and will watch any animated garbage as long as it features brightly colored talking animals. At least, that's what the people behind 'Pink Tail Tip Animated Story' believe.

I hope they're wrong. Because abominations like these:

should not exist.

Zybourne Clock has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Oct 14, 2013

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Zybourne Clock posted:

Little kids are stupid, and will watch any animated garbage as long as it features brightly colored talking images. At least, that's what the people behind 'Pink Tail Tip Animated Story' believe.

I hope they're wrong. Because abominations like these:

should not exist.

Everything about this is great:

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
I think I would scream forever if I saw this as a child.

Also, a bunch of the reward tiers are 'Name [Insert Character Here].' Too bad there are guidelines, or that could be a lot of fun.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MrAptronym posted:

Everything about this is great:

The aristocrats.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Machai posted:

I'll bet they wear cups. If not, like you said no big loss.

Maybe we can invent kickstart some sort of Quidditch-chaps that help with the rubbing/banging on the inside of their legs.

Or maybe a broom holder, so you can use both hands while you run around with a broom attached between your legs. The potential for mayhem would make this an excellent spectator sport. Plus you could decorate the brooms...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zybourne Clock posted:

Little kids are stupid, and will watch any animated garbage as long as it features brightly colored talking animals. At least, that's what the people behind 'Pink Tail Tip Animated Story' believe.

"The animation part of this project is complete"

Lies! All lies!

Foodfight! had better animation than this.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Everything about Pink Tail is amazing but drat the music is something else. Where did they get the idea to just throw in random dog and cat cries? Obviously nothing else screams cute kid cartoon like shrill animal noises.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

I once worked a con where one of my breaks happened to coincide with the exhibitional quidditch match, and I can tell you that this picture is definitely making it seem more exciting than it is.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

QwertyAsher posted:

I once worked a con where one of my breaks happened to coincide with the exhibitional quidditch match, and I can tell you that this picture is definitely making it seem more exciting than it is.

So how DO the account for the fact that everyone is basically playing one handed? Do they just allow it to make the game even more crappy?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fatkraken posted:

So how DO the account for the fact that everyone is basically playing one handed? Do they just allow it to make the game even more crappy?

Here's an introductory video.
It's all you ever dreamed of and less!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm sorry but this is all I can think of now when I look at this pic. Notice he is cupping the ball, I think he might be a master at this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's an introductory video.
It's all you ever dreamed of and less!

WHAT ARE THE BROOMS FOR?!?!??!?

Seriously! It's not the "silliest" part in any kind of cute way, it's the dumbest, most counterproductive, un-funnest thing ever. One handed ball games, hurrah. Without the broom it could be a kinda fun mix of dodgeball and handball. With them, it's just loving idiotic.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fatkraken posted:

Seriously! It's not the "silliest" part in any kind of cute way, it's the dumbest, most counterproductive, un-funnest thing ever. One handed ball games, hurrah. Without the broom it could be a kinda fun mix of dodgeball and handball. With them, it's just loving idiotic.

Because us muggles can only ever be content with this sad approximation of actual Quid ditch.

Seriously though? Probably because the only people who play the game are HP fans and without broomsticks.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

J.K. Rowling is rolling in her grave moneypit.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Fatkraken posted:

My High School had a Muggle Quidditch team and in all the matches I saw (one), the only people who had brooms were the people who actually chased the Snitch, which kind of makes sense because the Snitch is a dude in a yellow shirt not a tiny magical orb and if the players chasing the Snitch weren't hampered by brooms it would be way too easy for them to catch the Snitch.
That did make the match a little more interesting and fast-pased, if not any less silly or confusing to watch. My High School Quidditch team was probably the best case scenario, though, because my school was 95% nerds so there was a lot of overlap between the Quidditch team and the Track team and the Snitch was played by the track coach. :v:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

J.K. Rowling is rolling in her grave moneypit.

I want her to meet these people in real life. I like to think she would react like Alec Guinness when confronted with that kid who'd seen Star Wars 100 times.

BalthCat
Aug 11, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

...because my school was 95% nerds...
So THAT'S why the rest of us were outcasts... you hogged all the nerds! :argh:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zybourne Clock posted:

Naturally he wants a slice of that marketing pie, so he's decided to start an advertising firm of his own with a couple of friends. Internet friends. The company isn't located anywhere in the world and only exists online. The campaign goal is a cool half million dollars, and all of his reward tiers are gift cards.

I've met so many people like this guy. "I just found out that X industry exists. It's pretty easy. I should get some of that. The only reason that every other human on Earth hasn't gotten into X is because they aren't as smart as me."

The reward tiers are hilarious because this guy is so dumb that he is actually accidentally trying to run a Ponzi scheme.

Of all things to attempt to animate when one has no skill, they go for a hedgehog? The hubris.

The Human Crouton has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Oct 14, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Machai posted:

I'm sorry but this is all I can think of now when I look at this pic. Notice he is cupping the ball, I think he might be a master at this.

:golfclap:

If you've invented a revolutionary product that's going to redefine a market, but can't legally show to general public, then starting a crowdfunding campaign might not be the best method of acquiring funds. He needs 20,000 dollars, and provides a very rough breakdown of the costs of his company. The problem is, he limited the number of backer rewards to just 200, at fifty bucks a piece. And that's the only reward tier. Basic mathematics tell us he's going to fall 10,000 dollars short of his goal even if he sells all of his products. Not that this will interest him much, it's a flex funding campaign anyway.

Forty years ago Ernest Hemple devised a method for teaching cats how to use the toilet. His idea got copied by many other people over the years, so now he wants to start a business of his own to cash in on his own invention. Rather than starting out small with a simple idea, he fully expects to employ thousands of people over the next couple of years. And if you pay him $125,000, he'll invent a new product for your company.

I used to watch a lot of Ray Mears programs about survivalism, because it's a very interesting subject. In every episode he'd have something interesting to say about bushcraft, wildlife, the local indigenous people of whatever part of the world he happened to be in, or the sixty different ways of starting a fire. Whenever 'survivalism' is mentioned on the internet I cringe a little, because it's most often associated with whackjob doomsday cults who believe the world can fall into disarray at any given moment. Full Spectrum Survival is no different. It's OK, and probably advisable, to know what to do in an emergency. But when your pitch video features a fully armed man patrolling the wilderness, an improvised firearm trap for home defense, and your project page contains a blurb similar to this:

quote:

You'll learn how to deal with mobs and roving gangs of looters. How to remain hidden in plain sight, and what to do when confronted with a citywide disaster.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe, just maybe, you're actually wishing for society to end. It's not even a very good survival guide, because it's provided to you burned on a DVD. Which suffer from bit rot. And requires electricity to function.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Quidditch would be really easy to make into a real sport. There were a few positions right?

You got the dudes that just gently caress poo poo up right? Okay they're on dirtbikes with paintball guns - only rule is they can't stop to shoot. You get paintballed, you go to the penalty box for 1 minute.

Then you've got the sort of forwards, those guys are on dirtbikes but they don't get paintball guns, they get hockey sticks, and there are three hockey pucks out at any given time.

The goalie is self explanatory and yeah the dudes who chase the gold ball, they get no dirtbikes, have to keep one hand on a broom, and the golden ball is an RC helicopter covered in razor blades to make it interesting. The helicopter is randomly programmed to fly in a random pattern. Also unlike quidditch, catching the golden ball doesn't automatically end the game because that's the loving stupidest rule in the history of sports jesus christ. You catch the golden ball, either you get someone out of a penalty box or put someone from the other team in a penalty box. Or gently caress it, you just laugh at the rear end in a top hat whose hands are bleeding like hell now.

This would ruin a grass field, so put this poo poo on a concrete slab and you're good to go.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Quidditch would be really easy to make into a real sport. There were a few positions right?

So because there's no way I'm going to click that link about Quidditch, it's kind of like hockey, except at the same time there's another game of "catch the thing" laid over the basic hockey game?

Does the hockey part of the game interact with the "catch the snitch" part, or do they just happen at the same time?

In regard to razor sharp helicopters, instead the snitch could be like that brain-driller orb in the movie "Prophesy". So you have to catch and incapacitate it, or get your brains sucked out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JDM3 posted:

So because there's no way I'm going to click that link about Quidditch, it's kind of like hockey, except at the same time there's another game of "catch the thing" laid over the basic hockey game?

Does the hockey part of the game interact with the "catch the snitch" part, or do they just happen at the same time?

In the video I linked earlier the person playing the snitch actually wanders off the field into a different part of the campus and only comes back if the snitch catchers don't find him before the end of the match.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

pathetic little tramp posted:

the golden ball is an RC helicopter covered in razor blades to make it interesting. The helicopter is randomly programmed to fly in a random pattern. Also unlike quidditch, catching the golden ball doesn't automatically end the game because that's the loving stupidest rule in the history of sports jesus christ. You catch the golden ball, either you get someone out of a penalty box or put someone from the other team in a penalty box. Or gently caress it, you just laugh at the rear end in a top hat whose hands are bleeding like hell now.

The golden ball should be a pigeon. A live pigeon. The arena has a mesh roof about 8 feet up so the pigeon can't escape.

If you kill the pigeon you lose the game

Or, ditch the pigeon, ditch the roof and use a live feral cat.

(yes the Snitch is like the stupidest thing ever, and only exists so Harry Potter doesn't have to just be another regular member of the football team but gets to be speshul)

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fatkraken posted:

The golden ball should be a pigeon. A live pigeon. The arena has a mesh roof about 8 feet up so the pigeon can't escape.

If you kill the pigeon you lose the game

Or, ditch the pigeon, ditch the roof and use a live feral cat.

(yes the Snitch is like the stupidest thing ever, and only exists so Harry Potter doesn't have to just be another regular member of the football team but gets to be speshul)

Pigeon, gently caress why not a greased up pig? You gotta expand demographics son

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How did you guys NOT post this picture from Pink Tail Tip?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Pigeon, gently caress why not a greased up pig? You gotta expand demographics son

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

How did you guys NOT post this picture from Pink Tail Tip?

How did you not tag it NWS?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the video I linked earlier the person playing the snitch actually wanders off the field into a different part of the campus and only comes back if the snitch catchers don't find him before the end of the match.

wait

so they literally play competitive hide and seek

College students do this. Adults.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey now, hide and seek is fun. But you gotta own it and just play straight up hide and seek. Also, tag.

Quidditch is still some dumb stuff though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

College students do dumb nerd poo poo.

In other news, water still wet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Hey now, hide and seek is fun. But you gotta own it and just play straight up hide and seek. Also, tag.

Quidditch is still some dumb stuff though.

Hell, Humans vs. Zombies totally owns up to the description of "tag with nerf guns" and is completely straight up about it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

wait

so they literally play competitive hide and seek

College students do this. Adults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqs2przXlg

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

Xelkelvos posted:

Hell, Humans vs. Zombies totally owns up to the description of "tag with nerf guns" and is completely straight up about it.

I once failed a presentation in college (we did weekly presentations about material we had covered during the previous week) because my partner spent the whole week playing HvZ and did no work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Leninboarrir posted:

I once failed a presentation in college (we did weekly presentations about material we had covered during the previous week) because my partner spent the whole week playing HvZ and did no work.

I once failed a presentation because I got high for a week and totally spaced it off. Yet I feel superior to your partner. :iiam: