Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Imazul posted:

If we ignore Kaladrax which was just a stupidly good deal in Bones 1, I do not even own one dragon.

Assuming I want one, which of the ones offered right now is the best deals? I am getting the 50$ expansion so I get I will get the silver one in that.

Honestly I think the Pathfinder Dragon from Bones I kickstarter is the best choice for gaming. It looks great, is in a nice dynamic pose, and it's a reasonable size for moving around a game board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reaper picked up a healthy +$70k yesterday, it's best since day 3 of the drive. However, that was on only 67 new backers, its worst of the drive and a continuation of the steady and consistent downward trend of new backers that has taken place since day 1. They're on pace for a very slow day today, with just three new backers so far.

Kicktraq is projecting a final total of between $2.13M and $2.75M, although the "trending" chart has them pushing to $3.57M.

Tomorrow night marks the halfway point for this 25-day Kickstarter.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I was wondering to myself whether it wouldn't be a good thing for them to be doing smaller but more rapid waves of Bones kickstarters (or just Bones releases). Fund a million dollars' worth of Bones tooling, get it out to everyone who backed and to retail, rinse and repeat. If it meant they could get it done more quickly and easily, it could provide some valuable customer satisfaction to boot.

The possible reasons not to do that that I could think of off the top of my head were:

-They wouldn't actually save any time by doing this for some reason I haven't thought of
-There's some sort of hidden cost that they're relying on economy of scale to avoid, such that they'd lose too much money by doing three $1 million kickstarters instead of one $3 million kickstarter
-They couldn't ever fund certain niche Bones at all if they didn't have a certain density of generic dragons to roll them in with

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I attribute the slow growth to front-loading the kickstarter. Most who wanted into Bones II jumped on early, and I imagine that many (like myself) put their max pledge in at that time. And there was a phenomenal first three days, but there's been little to coax people who're already "all in" into digging deeper.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, I'm at my folks' place, where I had my bones sent. I'm inventorying them. So far, I've finished one vampire box, out of four. Apparently, I misremembered my order slightly, because I was sure I hadn't ordered C'thulhu. However, looking back over the pledge manager, it appears I did have him on there, so go you, past self. Right now, I'm going over various add-ons before trying to inventory all three of the other boxes at once. Ebonwrath's front left foot's a bit twisted, and it seems a little soft, but not so much that it shouldn't be able to support his weight once boiled. Looking for "floppiness" in certain figures and for any obvious miscasts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kicktraq apparently has some weird time zone where it refreshes and calls something a "day". That 67 backers is for Oct. 10, and now they have numbers for Oct 11: 114 new backers and $41.3k.

moths posted:

I attribute the slow growth to front-loading the kickstarter. Most who wanted into Bones II jumped on early, and I imagine that many (like myself) put their max pledge in at that time. And there was a phenomenal first three days, but there's been little to coax people who're already "all in" into digging deeper.

Yeah, a lot of the money from the last week is from backers who were already in, updating/completing their spend using the pledge manager. I think the issue is getting more people in. There's 12k backers right now, and Bones 1 finished with over 17k. I think Bones II could easily finish over that number if there's a lot of people holding off before pledging, but you'd think most people with even a minor interest would be in one of the $1 backer tiers, so they're already counted. Reaper should be trying to attract folks who haven't yet bought in, either because they don't know about the kickstarter yet or because they don't see enough value yet to seriously consider it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I guess Paizo and another game company are holding off until later to send out mass emails about this, until more stuff is unlocked so people will instantly go "omg" and jump in.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ravendas, that's my thought as well.

Got my bones inventoried. Doesn't seem to be any "floppiness" in legs or whatnot. I was a little worried about my jabberwock, but after gluing it, it seems to stand up decently well. Didn't lean any further than it already was for the several hours I had it standing. Nothing as hilarious as Jotun McFistface. Missing two minis (Mr. Bones and a Tiik champion), the spiked balls are missing on one of the fire giant warriors, and there was a miscast in the first Vampire box I received back in may (Deladrin, assassin). Overall pretty good. Hopefully I don't end up deploying right when fulfillment hits next time.

Here's my cat helping me sort through the minis.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I got four extra Nova guys.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 13, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JackMann posted:

the spiked balls

Yeah, those I was missing at least one of, but give no fucks because they're pointless and fiddly as hell. I didn't even manage to successfully dry fit them before giving up and deciding the holes should just be filled instead.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I probably won't use 'em on the giant, but I figure they'll be useful in my bits box.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
What's the preferred filler / epoxy for seams on these bad boys? I picked up some Milliput Standard, but it seems about the consistency of green stuff, which I found too messy to work with. I also ended up with some no-mix gel from a Japanese company designed for plastic models, but it seems too runny and gets in the detail areas. Is there something that's between the two?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've put my Reaper Bones stuff up for sale in my new SA-Mart thread, if folks are still interested in the originals. There's a complete set of everything from the first KS(sans Sophie, a full set of miniatures + case, and a couple Vampire boxes left, as well as a bunch of the addon stuff.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
More paints, and another expansions. This one with some cavalry and some anhurians.

Not gonna lie. I'm pretty excited about the dwarven bear-rider.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A $70k gap between the next two stretch goals, so Reaper has dropped the gap very significantly (from the $137k gap we have up now).

And that's when the next +$50 Expansion #2 will be available, as well:

Although the first add-on to Exp2 will be at $2,160,000, which is +$266k. But presumably we'll have additional stretch goals before we get there.

I think it shows a certain amount of confidence from Reaper that we'll get to $2.1M, because as it stands Exp2 isn't worth anything close to $50.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I get the feeling that they've chopped up expansion 2 a lot more, so they can do smaller gaps between the goals.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'm not sure it will matter though, unless they find some way to really get funds rolling in quickly. Right now the value for the whole package is good, but not earthshaking. I'm still not sure I'm going to keep my pledge.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Signal posted:

I'm not sure it will matter though, unless they find some way to really get funds rolling in quickly. Right now the value for the whole package is good, but not earthshaking. I'm still not sure I'm going to keep my pledge.

There will invariably be a big boost in pledges the last week as people upgrade their orders to reflect what they want in terms of add-ons once they're set.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Isn't that what's currently driving up the dollar amount? If I understand right, they haven't been picking up new backers with any real regularity.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I'm ooing and arring about keeping my pledge in because of the shipping costs. :smith:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I was just asking about the $1 pledge amounts for clarification:

@Reaperdude
A frequent question in here, with the $1 pledge, what can they tack onto that?
Core set for $100?
Just an expansion for $50?
Pieces of the core set, without the coreset itself?
All of the above?

@Ravendas - All and any of the Above. Likewise, the $100 level does not strictly speaking require you to get the $100 Core Set - you could choose to get $100 in Options, Extras, Expansions, etc. and ignore the Core Set as a whole.

So your pledge level, either $1 or $100, doesn't really mean anything but the minimum you can pledge. You can do whatever the hell you want with all that money pledged.

Edit: Trick!

Cores are all getting the new Mr. Bones from the pledge trail thing. Supposedly he'll be a $1 addon as well, not sure.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 14, 2013

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Interesting. I might not want another hundred bucks of bones, but a few options should be more reasonable, especially when international shipping is considered.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
So I've been out of the miniature painting world for roughly 3 years, and I've been reading thru this thread to catch up on all things Reaper. So am I right in assuming that A)Reaper's basically converting their product line over time into the Bones series stuff, B)they had a Kickstarter for the project that made something like $1.5 million$3.4 million (from a requested $550,000$30,000), and C)they're now doing a second Bones-related Kickstarter that is currently at something like $1.7 million the last time I looked? :stare:

And none of the above should be interpreted as any sort of criticism on my part, I'm absolutely thrilled that Reaper is (intentionally or not) giving GW and their Finecast stuff the middle finger and saying "THIS is how you move from metal to a less-expensive material!" I've always been a fan of Reaper's stuff, so I just wanted to make sure I had the right idea about what they were doing. :)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 15, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
A) They're not converting their entire line over. They're still going to be producing metal minis, though they haven't had any new models for a few months due to fulfillment on the last Kickstarter. New models, that is. They've been making models of their existing stock throughout. The only line they've discontinued is their P65 line, since Bones fills the same niche of "Same models, but cheaper." Expect to see most of those P65-only models reappear in Bones. We've already seen a fair number in this Kickstarter.

B) Last Kickstarter requested $30,000 and made 3.4 million.

C) You are correct, sir! It's a pretty decent deal, if less spectacular than the last Kickstarter. For the models themselves, I'm pretty fond of bonesium plastic. Detail is a little lighter than metal, but not as much as it appears at first glance. The plastic's slightly translucent, which means backscatter tends to make the detail look even softer than it is. Once you slap some paint on there (and you don't actually have to prime these), the detail's still mostly there. Probably less than you'd want for a display piece, or maybe your personal character, but more than enough for proxies in your armies or for mooks in D&D. It's great for models you want a lot of, or for really big models. Like, really big. Their biggest Bones model, Kaladrax, retails for seventy bucks. In metal, they estimate they'd need to charge around a grand for him. Most of the other big bones models are around twenty-five to forty bucks.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Are the Bones line at a scale that works with say DND Miniatures?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gough Suppressant posted:

Are the Bones line at a scale that works with say DND Miniatures?

That's the intention, yeah.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

C) You are correct, sir! It's a pretty decent deal, if less spectacular than the last Kickstarter. For the models themselves, I'm pretty fond of bonesium plastic. Detail is a little lighter than metal, but not as much as it appears at first glance. The plastic's slightly translucent, which means backscatter tends to make the detail look even softer than it is. Once you slap some paint on there (and you don't actually have to prime these), the detail's still mostly there. Probably less than you'd want for a display piece, or maybe your personal character, but more than enough for proxies in your armies or for mooks in D&D. It's great for models you want a lot of, or for really big models. Like, really big. Their biggest Bones model, Kaladrax, retails for seventy bucks. In metal, they estimate they'd need to charge around a grand for him. Most of the other big bones models are around twenty-five to forty bucks.

Note: Right now.

We're currently at half the funding of the previous kickstarter, with about 2/3 the number of models in the core set as before. Plus, the core set models are mostly bigger than the KS1's vampire pledge. The vampire box was full of kobolds and rats and other tiny things. This replaced them with gnolls and bugbears, which are 50% taller and a bit wider than men.

It's a great deal already, at like 65c per mini, and it's only going to get better. Plus, there's tons more options this time around already, with 12 more days left to unlock even more.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Yeah. Basically, provided you actually want at least 60% of the miniatures in whatever set you are getting, it's a crazy deal.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

JackMann posted:

A) They're not converting their entire line over. They're still going to be producing metal minis, though they haven't had any new models for a few months due to fulfillment on the last Kickstarter. New models, that is. They've been making models of their existing stock throughout. The only line they've discontinued is their P65 line, since Bones fills the same niche of "Same models, but cheaper." Expect to see most of those P65-only models reappear in Bones. We've already seen a fair number in this Kickstarter.

Ah, gotcha. Even if they don't convert their entire line over, they've still got a ton of Bones minis available, which is a good thing. :)

quote:

B) Last Kickstarter requested $30,000 and made 3.4 million.

I just double-checked and you're right, I must have mixed them up with another Kickstarter I looked at in recent days (just edited my post to put in the correct numbers). Getting nearly $3.5 million off of an initial $30k request is even more :stare:-worthy.

quote:

Again, that is amazing and it's definitely a good thing to see a miniatures company leading the way in making cheaper (and recycling-friendly) miniatures without trying to soak the customer base while doing so. :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I got an email from Reaper this morning pushing the kickstarter - first I have gotten. So it looks like they might be starting to try and drum up new supporters at this point. I didn't participate in the last one, so they only know me as a regular customer.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I'm in for $150 at the moment. I'm interested to see where they go with their second expansion. When it comes to expansions in some ways I am slightly disappointed that they are adding a second expansion instead of just adding on to the first, but in the end what is in them will really define it for me. The second expansion is off to a really good start with the mounted characters.

I can't wait until we hit the 1.85m goal as I really want the wearshark model included. That model makes me think of street sharks, the TMNT knockoff from the 90s.

For those of you who have a lot of minis, is their paint a good deal as an addon? I have never really looked into the cost or quality of paints.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fix posted:

That's the intention, yeah.

It's just too bad that the bases are so irregular that they barely fit into 1" squares

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Updated by-the-numbers post. Note: these numbers do not include the terrain/dungeon dressings, paints, or plastic bases!

Current as of Mr. Bones added to core set and Core Expansion 1 finishing.

Bones I
231 figures in the core set
$0.43 per figure for the core set
$342 total to go "all in" and buy 1 of all the add-ons
At a cost of $1.27 per figure if you did that
And a total of 269 figures.

Bones II as of 10/14
141 figures in the core set (previously 135)
$0.71 per figure for the core set (previously $0.74)
$319 to go "all in" and buy 1 of all of the add-ons, including Core Expansion 1 (previously $294)
At a cost of $1.36 per figure if you did that (previously $1.40)
Including $50 for 40 figures in Core Expansion 1 (previously 25 figures)
Or $1.25 per figure in Core Expansion 1 (previously $2 per figure)
For a total of 233 figures (previously 210).

Bones II numbers only include currently unlocked expansions and add-ons.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 15, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Azhais posted:

It's just too bad that the bases are so irregular that they barely fit into 1" squares

Bones integral bases are super easy to cut down or remove altogether, though that won't help in cases where the mini's stance itself doesn't fit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TheGreySpectre posted:

I'm in for $150 at the moment. I'm interested to see where they go with their second expansion. When it comes to expansions in some ways I am slightly disappointed that they are adding a second expansion instead of just adding on to the first, but in the end what is in them will really define it for me. The second expansion is off to a really good start with the mounted characters.

I can't wait until we hit the 1.85m goal as I really want the wearshark model included. That model makes me think of street sharks, the TMNT knockoff from the 90s.

For those of you who have a lot of minis, is their paint a good deal as an addon? I have never really looked into the cost or quality of paints.

Yes the paint is a worthwhile addition, provided you want the colors they are offering.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

TheGreySpectre posted:

I am pretty interested in the second expansion because horsemen are cool, and town militia mooks fills a niche that hasn't been filled yet. No way I'll drop 50 bucks on what they have yet though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes the paint is a worthwhile addition, provided you want the colors they are offering.
In case anyone wants a handy reference, here's what they're offering this time (so far):

And what they offered last time:

So no outright duplicates, at least. I'd really like to see some washes in play, though, but I think reaper's collection of washes is exceedingly limited.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The only problem for me with ordering paint through a Bones kickstarter is that usually when I buy paint it's because I need X new color for my current or next project, so putting money into paint that I won't see for literally a year usually isn't something that makes me go for it.

OTOH, the price is really good, so...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The new paint set got me back in. It's only for $19, but hey that's OK. I hope it comes with a case, 'cause I have the two HD boxed sets (so I don't need Set #1) and don't have room in there for 12 more bottles!

I'll sure look silly if they don't make the stretch goal. That seems unlikely, though.

Bad Munki posted:

So no outright duplicates, at least. I'd really like to see some washes in play, though, but I think reaper's collection of washes is exceedingly limited.

These are all HD paints, not MSP.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, you're right, good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I got all the paints last time, 48 bottles, so I probably won't splurge on those but I could be tempted since they are all HD colors. A fantastic deal, but now that I've got even more Vallejo and tons of Minitaire paints a deal on paints I'll get in 11 months isn't quite as tempting.

I'd love to spend what I spent last time but I'll probably have to make some decisions on what I really want to get vs. what I'm happy to wait for. So that means I'll probably pick up the big or huge models like the hill giants, kraken, etc., that are a really good deal, and keep note of the individual models to get when they're available at retail.

• Locked thread