Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Considering that Manfrotto (finally) separated the lock control and friction from each other in modern ballheads (e.g. 49X series), it should be far less of a problem than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Splinter posted:

I left batteries in my SB-600 for an extended period of time and when I pulled it out the other day the batteries had exploded and the flash no longer works even with fresh batteries. Anyone have any ideas on how to clean the battery corrosion from the flash in hopes of reviving it?
Update! With the help of some Googling, I was able to revive the flash. I cleaned all the battery contacts thoroughly with white vinegar and Q-tips, let it dry out, tossed in some new batteries, and it worked. Don't worry, I removed the batteries when I was finished this time.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
So as I'm starting to do a lot more video projects I've decided it's time to ditch my lovely tripod and go with the good stuff. Is Manfrotto the be all it's named up to be or are there alternatives that I should consider?

Price range up to $500. (This includes legs and fluid head).

Also, thinking about the getting a Zacuto Z-Finder too, but drat that thing seems overpriced. Anyone use any alternatives or should I just bite the bullet.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think there's much difference between most of the $100-200 legs (I've got a Slik myself and am completely happy with it).

If you're doing serious video work then I'd definitely spend the bulk of the budget on a killer fluid head.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Don't get the Z-Finder or any similar product, it's a waste of time and magnifying a lovely LCD screen doesn't sound very productive to me. You'd be better off finding a lovely 5" LCD or TV and using that to monitor.

I actually like the Zacuto EVF, but I think it's overpriced. It lasts all day on an LP-E6 and does false color and EVF sharpening for focus assist.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Peacebone posted:

So as I'm starting to do a lot more video projects I've decided it's time to ditch my lovely tripod and go with the good stuff. Is Manfrotto the be all it's named up to be or are there alternatives that I should consider?

Price range up to $500. (This includes legs and fluid head).

I have a $200 Manfrotto kit, and it's pretty nice. 3221 legs with 3030 head, like so:

(not mine but same models)
Holds a pro Nikon with 300mm f/2.8 or a Speed Graphic fully kitted out just fine (and looks ridiculous when I use it with the little point-and-shoot or phone). The padding is nice to just throw the whole rig over your shoulder to move to a new position. I think the official weight limit on the kit is somewhat less than my 10+ pound heavy cameras, but it holds just fine.

At double the budget, I'm sure there are lighter legs, mine's a bit of a tank. But as others have said, for video you should probably buy the best head you can afford and get whatever legs you can -- the cheap heavy ones may even work in your favor to help steady the rig, assuming you're not humping your entire kit into the wilderness on your back.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For a little more than $500 you can get the Sachtler Ace M http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822102-REG/Sachtler_1001_Ace_Fluid_Head_with.html I have a Manfrotto 501 head and really dislike it. It has a ton of stiction—so much that it's impossible to get a fluid start or stop even on a very wide lens. The MVH500AH I bought to supplement it has become my primary head as it's actually pretty fluid.

I wouldn't buy a screen magnifier either, and last time I used a Zacuto EVF it gave me crazy motion sickness for some reason (don't have that issue with any other viewfinders).

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I did like the thread title said am I cool yet?

ME Super with 50mm f/1.7
super edgy razor-thin DOF shot

watch this show up in the gear sale thread in a month when I am terrible at film :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nice. ME Super just feels right in your hand.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

you seem pretty cool, yeah

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I want that lens for my K1000 (and K5.)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Probably would make a nice macro lens if you reverse mounted it too. Loved using my 50/1.4 reverse mounted on my nikon for bugs n stuff.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
The seller threw in a lens I'd never heard of before, Cimko 35-100 f/3.5-4.3. It's some kinda push-pull telephoto lens that also can be a macro lens by rotating a locking ring? Can't find much about it online aside from a youtube review, and some sites wanting to charge me money for a manual. Apologies for lovely blurry pictures, you can kinda see the macro scale (I guess?) and a line for focusing with infrared film (maybe?)

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Mr. Despair posted:

Probably would make a nice macro lens if you reverse mounted it too. Loved using my 50/1.4 reverse mounted on my nikon for bugs n stuff.

I used to be happy to have a 50mm f/2 until I saw all of you jerks with faster ones.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ZippySLC posted:

I used to be happy to have a 50mm f/2 until I saw all of you jerks with faster ones.

Don't feel bad, my 50/1.4 is covered in fungus and has a chip in the rear element.

Still use it over the 50/2 that's clean though.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

So one of my instructors decided to go mirrorless and sold his Canon kit, and asked me if I wanted to have the 100mm Macro 2.8 because it was damaged and he wasn't sure how well it worked. I took it and it works fine. Is this damage I need to be concerned about? I was thinking just throw on a polarizer and it should be good?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jadeilyn posted:

So one of my instructors decided to go mirrorless and sold his Canon kit, and asked me if I wanted to have the 100mm Macro 2.8 because it was damaged and he wasn't sure how well it worked. I took it and it works fine. Is this damage I need to be concerned about? I was thinking just throw on a polarizer and it should be good?

Not sure why you'd need a polarizer (I mean unless you need it for a specific purpose).

Great find though, those are supposed to be awesome lenses.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

Not sure why you'd need a polarizer (I mean unless you need it for a specific purpose).

Great find though, those are supposed to be awesome lenses.

I guess because it looks like poo poo can get into the lens potentially? I looked at it from different angles and I'm just wanting to make sure it's not going to be prone to fungus getting onto the glass or something.

I am really happy with it so far, I went hiking this past weekend (to a state park which was still open!) and got some nice shots of horned lizards that I'm working on right now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jadeilyn posted:

I guess because it looks like poo poo can get into the lens potentially? I looked at it from different angles and I'm just wanting to make sure it's not going to be prone to fungus getting onto the glass or something.

Polarizer isn't gonna help you much with that except for being a piece of glass, I guess.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jadeilyn posted:

I am really happy with it so far, I went hiking this past weekend (to a state park which was still open!) and got some nice shots of horned lizards that I'm working on right now.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Plus it'd be a shame to poo poo up your awesome glass with cheap glass. See example image in OP etc etc.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Seeing a couple Tamron 17-50s on Amazon, but with widely different prices.

Is this

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50mm-Aspherical-Canon-Cameras/dp/B000FZ3FY8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1381679449&sr=8-5&keywords=tamron+17-50

The same lens as this?

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50mm-Aspherical-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000EXR0SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381679449&sr=8-1&keywords=tamron+17-50

The first even has new options around $300 in other buying options. Am I missing something (I'm guessing I am)?

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 13, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I believe they're the same. The main thing to look for is the "VC" designation, which shows it has anti shake built into the lens. Neither has it listed, so I assume they're the same.

As for why one is cheaper, who knows. Could be clearance from that seller. Could be grey market. Could just be your lucky day.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

I believe they're the same. The main thing to look for is the "VC" designation, which shows it has anti shake built into the lens. Neither has it listed, so I assume they're the same.

As for why one is cheaper, who knows. Could be clearance from that seller. Could be grey market. Could just be your lucky day.

Looks like the cheap listing has grouped sellers all from Japan. Any reason not to go that route?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bob Mundon posted:

Looks like the cheap listing has grouped sellers all from Japan. Any reason not to go that route?
It won't be serviced by Tamron US for repairs, and you'll probably have to pay $20ish in taxes and duties, but otherwise no, not really.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It won't be serviced by Tamron US for repairs, and you'll probably have to pay $20ish in taxes and duties, but otherwise no, not really.

Thanks for the info. If that's the case I'll probably just look at used on KEH or something just in case. Their EX grades usually pretty good? Any way to see specifics on a lens before ordering (good copy, condition, etc)?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bob Mundon posted:

Thanks for the info. If that's the case I'll probably just look at used on KEH or something just in case. Their EX grades usually pretty good? Any way to see specifics on a lens before ordering (good copy, condition, etc)?

Their grades are absurd, 'GOOD' still means pretty much brand new. Hell I got an 'UG'-grade lens from them and other than the rubber looking sorta halfassed there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, mechanically or optically.

And yes I believe you can call them up about a specific lens and they'll go find it in the warehouse and call you back once they have it in front of them. At least they did when a friend of mine called them with a question.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Bob Mundon posted:

I got an EX 15mm Voigtlander. The glass was perfect, and the only thing I could see "wrong" with it was a very small and light scratch in the black paint on the side of the lens body. If they didn't have the worst website in the world, they'd be almost the perfect company.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Hopefully they keep it that way so it drives away customers keeping prices down.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Speaking of grading, anyone have any experience with Adorama used lenses? I'm looking at something graded E+ which they claim is "Barrel may have slight wear but only visible under close inspection. Lens glass is flawless." Sounds good to me, but just curious how that compares to KEH since everyone raves about their used quality.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the Tamron 17-50 I got from them was E+, but not completely sure now. The lens was pretty much spotless, and there were only a few tiny, light scratches on the lens cap. If you're in NYC, I'd suggest to go check it out in person, they're more than happy to show you the lens and let you try it on your body.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I got a sigma 70-200 f2.8 that was rated as E I think and it looked basically brand new. I'm sure there's some light scuff mark somewhere but who cares. Also, if you buy from Adorama, make sure and haggle. They will almost always take off a few bucks or give you free shipping or something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the cheapest, decent full frame body you can get into for a fairly normal used price? D700?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Bob Mundon posted:

How often do lenses come and go on KEH? They had about 5 Tamron 60mm f/2 macro lenses on before, and naturally I look to go get one and they are all gone. They get regular cycles or would I expect not to find one like that for quite a while.
Just a heads up on this, check the Amazon used section (under "other buying options"). I've been wanting a Tam60 bad for a few weeks and have been getting impatient and looking around elsewhere. I noticed they've actually got 2 (well 1 now since I just bought 1) EX+ rated 60mm listed through their Amazon marketplace but not actually listed on the site.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-60mm-2-0-DI-II/dp/B00200K9MM/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1TDKHBC7S48E3

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It's also worth checking their eBay store. http://stores.ebay.com/KEH-Camera-Outlet

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the cheapest, decent full frame body you can get into for a fairly normal used price? D700?

5D mk1, pretty much a no brainer @ ~$500 nowadays.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

5D mk1, pretty much a no brainer @ ~$500 nowadays.
He said decent.

JK the 5d's still brilliant.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Sony a850s go for about a grand on eBay. They make great landscape/architecture/studio cameras, but may not be the best option for fast action.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

A used D700 is still pretty expensive for a 5 year old dslr, really. It's a really good camera, though, with an excellent sensor.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ShadeofBlue posted:

A used D700 is still pretty expensive for a 5 year old dslr, really. It's a really good camera, though, with an excellent sensor.

There is one locally for $750 - I haven't seen them that low before so I was wondering if something had changed recently.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pho/4120578338.html

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yeah, I owned one before I was a poor again. :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D610?