Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Typhus733 posted:

So I have a random assortment of ingredients and I'd love some advice before I try and throw it all together slipshod style. I've read the whole thread but it was over the course of a fair amount of time so it's hard to say what really sunk in and what just went in one ear and out the other so to speak. I love Sichuan style food and would like to make something at least partially in the vein of that. I sadly don't have any Sichuan peppercorns and won't be able to get any (or anything else I don't have for that matter, I have all of eleven dollars that has to get me gas and any other food my family of three needs until next Wednesday) so I know it will be anything but legitimate or traditional. What I have:

A whole chicken that I was planning to cut the breasts off for this and roast the rest so we have just some general chicken for eating over the next few days.
Green onion
A green pepper
Russet Potatoes
A bag of white onions
Garlic
Carrots
Lee Kum Kee Chili Bean Sauce (I know it's not the ideal choice but it's what I had access to)
Oyster Sauce
Hoisin Sauce
Tamari Soy sauce (I know it's japanese but again, it's all I have)
Seasame oil
Rice wine vinegar
Various whole spices (cassia, whole black peppercorn, cumin, etc. More accurately I guess would be to say I don't have star anise or 5-spice)
Arbol Chiles (Not sure how close these are to Thai chilis but I wouldn't be surprised to find they aren't a good enough substitute)
Ramen noodle or Jasmine rice for the starch component
Edit* Oh, I also have plenty of delicious home made chicken stock which I remember seeing come up a fair few times in the thread

I'm turning to you all because I'd rather not make a poo poo meal when we have so little to lean back on, I was thinking of slicing the chicken breast as thin as possible and stir frying in my cast iron with the pepper/onion/carrot and either the ramen or maybe some cumin rice to bed it on. If anything I'd just appreciate some suggestions on a good sauce and the ratios therein. Also, side question, when stir frying something like this would I cook the chicken/veg on it's own then add the sauce or sauce it up before cooking? That is to say, not counting any marinade that would be used before hand.

I don't know why no one else has replied, and I'm only a lurker in the thread as I know stuff all about Chinese food (but heaps about eating on a budget). Maybe repost in the general questions thread or the help I'm poor thread if that's allowed?
What I would do is try get some cheap veg, bamboo shoots, green beans, snow peas, broccoli, gai lan, pak choy or bok choy, mushrooms etc.

Semi freeze the chicken breasts so you could slice them very very thinly.
Use hoisin sauce, one breast, 1/3 the bell pepper, and half the veg you could buy on the budget you have, make a chicken, hoisin, garlic, juilienned carrot, chilli, veg (new veg greens you bought) and noodle stirfry. Google some recipes, (chicken hoisin stir fry noodles) it's pretty a common one.

With the other breast, do another stirfry, with oyster sauce and 1/3 bell pepper some of the other new veg, and serve with rice. Shame you don't have any rice wine though. But just do it with oyster sauce, soy sauce, some chilli, sesame oil and use a bit of stock in place of the wine I guess

But in between, so you don't get sick of asian chicken stirfries, use the chicken thighs, potato, carrots, last 1/3 bell pepper, and the chillies and spices you have to make a chicken curry, serve with rice and carrots, onions, left over veg (or buy frozen peas for example).

So 1) get as much veg as you can (asian greens, frozen peas).
Make a chicken breast hoisin and noodle stirfry.
Make a chicken thigh curry with potato and rice meal. Either Thai massaman curry style or Indian style.
Make a oyster sauce and soy stirfry with the other breast and left over rice.
If you have heaps of potatoes, or can buy some more, do a veg meal. Just today I did braised cabbage (onion, carrot, oil and spices with cabbage, that's it) with potatoes. (can boil them, mash them, roast with thyme and garlic, or make a simple potato bake with a bechamel sauce)
Or do Tikil Gomen (fried cabbage, turmeric, onion, potatoes and spices/chilli)

If you have heaps of chicken stock, again, get some more veg (or some beans or pasta) and make a soup with the stock, and the veg, beans or pasta. Edit: Or use left over chicken (wings and drumsticks) meat for a chicken soup. Maybe could stretch it out for both soups?

stupid late edit as I went off and played with my coffee machine and realised I missed one of the main questions:
When stir frying the dishes, fry the meat alone to get flavoursome oils and juices, remove meat. Fry the veg/onion/garlic, deglaze with stock/wine and scrape fond, add sauces and other liquids, turn off heat (as it's cast iron you mentioned), return the meat to reheat and mix

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
What am I doing something wrong if hot oil starts flying everywhere when I initially start cooking?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Casull posted:

What am I doing something wrong if hot oil starts flying everywhere when I initially start cooking?

It depends a lot on what you are making, if you are doing a stir fry it could mean you are using too much oil.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Casull posted:

According to the state of my kitchen counters/walls/floors/appliances/fixtures, you are doing everything right. (Moved into a new apartment in China recently.)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Shbobdb posted:

You could red braise it. Or divorce your husband and marry someone who appreciates the awesomeness of 5-spice.

:colbert:

So I found this recipe. Given that it's adapted from "Family Circle" magazine, what do I need to do to actually make something like this good? I have a wide arsenal of Chinese ingredients and asian markets close at hand. Note that I have a 4lb butt (har) so I'll be doubling the ingredients already. I don't truck with low sodium soy (regular for me) and will use homemake stock or broth.

2 tsp of 5 spice sounds low for 4lbs of meat, but I'm not sure if this is a wimpy white person version, or if it's just a more potent spice than I am aware of.

Chinese Hacked Pork...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle magazine

Ingredients:
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped ginger
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
2 pounds boneless center-cut pork roast
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
12 ounces wide lo mein noodles, cooked following package directions
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Steamed snow peas (optional)

Directions:
1) Whisk soy sauce, honey, hoisin, garlic, ginger, five-spice powder and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl. Place in a resealable plastic bag and add pork. Seal. Turn and shake to coat meat. Refrigerate overnight.
2) Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place pork in bowl and pour marinade over top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
3) Remove pork to a large baking dish and keep warm. Pour liquid from slow cooker into a saucepan. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into broth. Bring liquid in saucepan to a boil and whisk in the broth mixture. Cook for 1 minute.
4) Shred pork into large pieces with two forks; stir in sauce. Spoon over noodles; garnish with scallions and serve with steamed snow peas, if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Seems like a slow cooker version of Char Siew/Sui, though it's very low on hoisin sauce quantity for that.
It's a bit strange to do a pulled pork version of slow cooked pork rather and roast/grill the pork for 30min, then slice. Must be a 'mid western' person thing - add ketchup if you want to be white person authentic.

5 spice powder is strong, usually 1/2t per lb is used in most recipes that call for it.

e: A search for slow cooker char sui gets a result for heaps of similar recipes (most using 1/4 cup hoisin), so it's nothing new I guess.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 25, 2013

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

Out of all the hilarious and (in)considerate things to bring in an office space, that might be one of the top.

One of my co-workers regularly brings food made with salt fish and microwaves it in the general kitchen area. The smell is ... undeniable.

edited to say that the worst I've done is bring preserved egg on tofu with soy sauce, vinegar, and pork fung to eat on rice. No smell that traveled a distance, but I'm pretty sure my breath was lethal.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 26, 2013

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Seems like a slow cooker version of Char Siew/Sui, though it's very low on hoisin sauce quantity for that.
It's a bit strange to do a pulled pork version of slow cooked pork rather and roast/grill the pork for 30min, then slice. Must be a 'mid western' person thing - add ketchup if you want to be white person authentic.

5 spice powder is strong, usually 1/2t per lb is used in most recipes that call for it.

e: A search for slow cooker char sui gets a result for heaps of similar recipes (most using 1/4 cup hoisin), so it's nothing new I guess.

It's not a slicing cut of meat, it's pork shoulder which I've always been told is tough and needs to be slow cooked for hours to break down.

Isn't Char Sui like a BBQ pork? Was hoping to try something different, have a pork shoulder to use up but am sick to death of BBQ pulled pork.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

EVG posted:

It's not a slicing cut of meat, it's pork shoulder which I've always been told is tough and needs to be slow cooked for hours to break down.

Isn't Char Sui like a BBQ pork? Was hoping to try something different, have a pork shoulder to use up but am sick to death of BBQ pulled pork.

I have made char siew out of a pork shoulder/boston butt before, not in a slow cooker but it did need to marinate overnight then roast for quite a while to be tender enough to eat. When it was done though, it was great.
One thing I wish I had done was decompose it into slightly smaller pieces to get more of the marinade sauce coating each piece. I've seen some people cut it through in quarters in some recipes.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

EVG posted:

Shoulder can, and often is, used for char sui. You just cut it into multiple 1.5-2" round/square long strips length ways*, and with the overnight marinade to tenderize, it is good eats even after a shortish roast time.
You didn't google 'slow cooker char sui' did you? If you did, you'd know what I was saying. Your recipe was the same as those recipes. The only difference was yours had stuff all hoisin sauce in it compared to the rest.
*If you went further and looked for char sui recipes, you'd see they used pork shoulder sometimes, and how it was cut before marinating/marinading.
Have a search and you may notice there's 2 main differences between normal char sui and your recipe or 'slow cooker char sui'. Char sui has maltose or sugar for a glaze (obviously that's of no use in a slow cooker). The slow cooker version has chicken stock only for some liquid for the meat to cook in as you need plenty of liquid for a slow cooker to work. That's why I said your recipe was a slow cooker char sui, as they were the only real differences.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 26, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Any tips for nice and chewy dry fried beef?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Shoulder can, and often is, used for char sui. You just cut it into multiple 1.5-2" round/square long strips length ways*, and with the overnight marinade to tenderize, it is good eats even after a shortish roast time.
You didn't google 'slow cooker char sui' did you? If you did, you'd know what I was saying. Your recipe was the same as those recipes. The only difference was yours had stuff all hoisin sauce in it compared to the rest.
*If you went further and looked for char sui recipes, you'd see they used pork shoulder sometimes, and how it was cut before marinating/marinading.
Have a search and you may notice there's 2 main differences between normal char sui and your recipe or 'slow cooker char sui'. Char sui has maltose or sugar for a glaze (obviously that's of no use in a slow cooker). The slow cooker version has chicken stock only for some liquid for the meat to cook in as you need plenty of liquid for a slow cooker to work. That's why I said your recipe was a slow cooker char sui, as they were the only real differences.

I don't think I've ever had char sui, just trying to wrap my brain around it, because an asian-style pulled pork dish sounds nice, but I wanted to avoid BBQ-like flavors. I don't know what char sui is other than it's listed as "barbecued Chinese pork", so I was just googling for "asian pulled pork" or "chinese pork shoulder".

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

squigadoo posted:

One of my co-workers regularly brings food made with salt fish and microwaves it in the general kitchen area. The smell is ... undeniable.

edited to say that the worst I've done is bring preserved egg on tofu with soy sauce, vinegar, and pork fung to eat on rice. No smell that traveled a distance, but I'm pretty sure my breath was lethal.

A few of our guys from Xiamen will bring this in every so often. I'm okay with it but I know the people who aren't used to the smell/taste of this food complain about it frequently.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shnooks posted:

I have a cold and I want some congee, but I don't want to spend hours making it :( I have a rice cooker, does anyone have any simple recipes?

I know its a while back, but here is the recipe that came with my rice cooker:

Ingredients Method
Note
Congee with Pork
Congee with Pork
Broken-milled rice …………………… ½ cup
Chicken stock …………………………3 cups
Pork, minced…………………………… 200 g
Crab sticks…………………………………50 g
Salted Duck Egg Yolks ……………………… 1
Preserved egg ……………………………… 1
Crispy deep fried dough sticks …………50 g
Salt ……………………………………… ½ tsp
Chicken stock powder ………………… 1 tsp
Spring onion (for garnishing)
Ginger slice (for garnishing)

1. Place soaked rice, chicken stock powder, minced pork and salt
in the rice cooker inner pan. Mix well.
2. Press “Menu Select” to select “Porridge” or “Slow Cook” menu,
press “Cooking Timer” to 1 hour and 30 min. Close the lid, next
press “Start”. Wait until beep.
3. Serve with crab stick, salted duck egg, yolks, preserved egg,
crispy deep fried dough stick, spring onion and ginger slice.

xiyun228
Aug 12, 2013

Casull posted:

You're probably doing it right. Hot oil splashes around when it meets water. So if your pan is wet when you put the oil in, it'll splash. That's why you're supposed to warm up the pan to get rid of the water first. Also if you're stir frying, as soon as you put food(washed veg, meat, etc) in, the oil will fly, because there's water in the food.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Lo Mein or Mei Fun? Going to be cooking something this weekend and would like to try one of these two.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

squigadoo posted:

When I was in Grad School and didn't want my committee meetings to go very long I'd bring various snacks. Including Durian. Because Durian is awesome, of course. No other reason.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

How do I cook good cheung fun? Whenever I steam it at home the layers are separating way too much and it just seems flabby.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Does Shanxi Mature Vinegar need to be refrigerated?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

hallo spacedog posted:

Does Shanxi Mature Vinegar need to be refrigerated?

Nah.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks!

I made pork rice porridge tonight, put a little vinegar on for a change and it was delicious.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any kind of vinegar that needs refrigeration?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there any kind of vinegar that needs refrigeration?

Probably not but I grew up with a crazy mom.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

My mum puts fish sauce in the fridge. She will not be swayed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ha I know what you mean. My dad puts oil in the fridge sometimes. I guess it's better than the alternative of leaving perishable things out.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
This may sound like a stupid question, but when I put in dried chiles with my aromatics how do I keep them from burning and blackening? Also, can I substitute fresh thai chiles for those, or is the flavor too different?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Add them later. The order in which ingredients are added to the heat is crucial in the type of cooking you're doing there. The flavour you get from bird's eyes will be different - sharper, fruitier. If you prefer it like that is entirely up to you :)

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
I've got a few pounds of boneless country-style ribs from a monthly deal I get from a local butcher. Last time I ended up with these I made the pig part of http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_%28Hum_Bao%29 and is was alright but nothing mind blowing. Are there any recipes that call for this weird rear end cut of meat or should I just use it as a pork belly/loin substitute to get rid of them? I was thinking of trying some Red Braised Pork or Salt Fried Pork. I'm open to non Chinese options as well.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Proposition Castle posted:

I've got a few pounds of boneless country-style ribs from a monthly deal I get from a local butcher. Last time I ended up with these I made the pig part of http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_%28Hum_Bao%29 and is was alright but nothing mind blowing. Are there any recipes that call for this weird rear end cut of meat or should I just use it as a pork belly/loin substitute to get rid of them? I was thinking of trying some Red Braised Pork or Salt Fried Pork. I'm open to non Chinese options as well.

They're pretty much pork shoulder cut into rib-like pieces so I think Red Braised Pork would be good.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Nickoten posted:

This may sound like a stupid question, but when I put in dried chiles with my aromatics how do I keep them from burning and blackening? Also, can I substitute fresh thai chiles for those, or is the flavor too different?

Gotta keep 'em moving a lot. Ideally they should end up an even mahogany color and fill the air with a toasty aroma. If you're really having trouble you can add them later on in the cooking process, as long as there's still enough oil to coat them. And yeah, the fresh chiles will add a way different flavor, but if you like it then go for it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Thanks for the advice! I'll try adding them after I add the garlic and ginger but before I add everything else and see what happens.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Bought some pre-packaged deep-fried tofu from the asian grocer. What should I do with this? Toss it in at the end of a stir fry? Toast up and eat as an app with some sweet chili sauce?

I have the following I need to use up - baby bok choi, broccoli, pea pods, bean sprouts, and the tofu. Also have the ubiquitous onions, garlic, ginger that is always around. A tub of picked carrot and daikon I bought as a garnish for another dish and forgot about. And a very wide selection of Asian sauce ingredients (chili bean sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce (light and dark), mirin, shao hsing, oyster sauce, hoisin, black bean sauce, sambal, chili garlic sauce, sweet chili sauce, toasted sesame oil, hot chili oil, shrimp paste, black vinegar, chinese hot mustard, sriracha, 5 spice, red curry, green curry.... jeeze I have a ton of Chinese/Asian stuff. I really should cook more).

I know I could just make a stir fry with some veg and black bean sauce, my normal go-to, and toss the tofu in, but if anyone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it.

I really need to just experiment more I guess, rather than buy a jar of some ingredient for a specific recipe, then stare at it in the fridge now and then.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

EVG posted:

Bought some pre-packaged deep-fried tofu from the asian grocer. What should I do with this? Toss it in at the end of a stir fry? Toast up and eat as an app with some sweet chili sauce?

I have the following I need to use up - baby bok choi, broccoli, pea pods, bean sprouts, and the tofu. Also have the ubiquitous onions, garlic, ginger that is always around. A tub of picked carrot and daikon I bought as a garnish for another dish and forgot about. And a very wide selection of Asian sauce ingredients (chili bean sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce (light and dark), mirin, shao hsing, oyster sauce, hoisin, black bean sauce, sambal, chili garlic sauce, sweet chili sauce, toasted sesame oil, hot chili oil, shrimp paste, black vinegar, chinese hot mustard, sriracha, 5 spice, red curry, green curry.... jeeze I have a ton of Chinese/Asian stuff. I really should cook more).

I know I could just make a stir fry with some veg and black bean sauce, my normal go-to, and toss the tofu in, but if anyone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it.

I really need to just experiment more I guess, rather than buy a jar of some ingredient for a specific recipe, then stare at it in the fridge now and then.

The tofu is spongy right? they go really well in soup since they soak up all the broth.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I really like it with a beef bone broth. Wash meaty beef bones, bring to boil, and discard first water and rinse the bones. Then bring back to boil and simmer for hours on end with slices of ginger, a couple of spring onions in knots and a few white peppercorns, until the soup starts turning white. Then add daikon radish in large bits, check for salt, and cook for a half hour more, add the deep-fried tofu in suitable pieces and simmer another quarter of an hour. The daikon should be really soft. So good and hearty with a bowl of rice when it's cold and dark outside :kimchi:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Oooh. My local corner store sells meaty beef neck bones that I normally give to my dog. I'll have to try that.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

EVG posted:

So if it's the spongy tofu, you want to use it with something soupy. It's like delicious fried bread that doesn't get soggy.

Google napa cabbage with dried shrimp-- that's one of my favorite recipes. It's got a lot of variants, as a homey sort of meal, but I like the ones that are really soupy with an egg in it. Eat with rice. The cabbage it pretty important, but the bok choy would be a decent substitute. If something in there is a dried shrimp analog; you want a lot of umani to it. I usually use some chicken stock, but I've substituted miso in a pinch. Sometimes I use both.

Take rehydrated shrimp (got any dried mushrooms? those are good too) into a wok with some oil and garlic, then toss in veggies, stir fry a bit. Add just enough soup stock to cover, add some xiao shing, add some white pepper. Salt and whatnot. Simmer it down for a bit, but stop before the veggies start to break down. Add the tofu, chopped in half. Add in a lightly beaten egg into the liquid and let it solidify into strings. Also add some green onions. Something like that.

It's a simple dish.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I've been looking for youtiao for a while now and I think I might be looking in the wrong place. Is that something you pick up at a bakery or at the market?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

There's a Northern Chinese place near my house and they have something crazy delicious on the menu called "shredded pancake stir-fried with (pork/beef/chicken/etc) and vegetables." They serve it and most everything with black/shanxi vinegar on the side.
Does anyone know what this type of dish is called in Chinese? Google isn't helping.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I don't know, but now I really want to eat that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

There's a Northern Chinese place near my house and they have something crazy delicious on the menu called "shredded pancake stir-fried with (pork/beef/chicken/etc) and vegetables." They serve it and most everything with black/shanxi vinegar on the side.
Does anyone know what this type of dish is called in Chinese? Google isn't helping.

The only thing I can think of is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahe_fen

Because the noodles are normally cut from rice pancakes sheets... It's my favorite noodle hands down.