Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So... is the fusion drive actually worth the extra 250, or is it more gimimcky with minor performance boosts?
Just read Anand's thoughts after a year of using one:

http://anandtech.com/show/7399/215inch-imac-late-2013-review-iris-pro-driving-an-accurate-display/4

Short answer: yes Fusion Disk is great if you don't like micro-managing your storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just read Anand's thoughts after a year of using one:

http://anandtech.com/show/7399/215inch-imac-late-2013-review-iris-pro-driving-an-accurate-display/4

Short answer: yes Fusion Disk is great if you don't like micro-managing your storage.

Seconded. I've had a mini with a Fusion Drive for the past 6 months and it's excellent.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

smackfu posted:

Apparently true:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007FNKAXC

Only 120 GB but that's sufficient for a Fusion Drive setup.

Apple charges $200 USD over a plain HDD to upgrade to Fusion (same HDD plus 128GB SSD). I'm having a hard time understanding why you'd pay more money for a thunderbolt external. It's not merely the "just works" factor I'm thinking of, but also support if something goes wrong. You'd be paying more money and getting less.

DIY makes sense if you're upgrading an old machine. If you're buying new, Apple has (as they often do) priced in extra profit margin but not so much that the alternative is an automatic buy. (Especially in this case, where they've made it difficult to add your own internal SSD.) I don't like that they're doing this, but as long as they are the right choice for most people is the factory fusion drive.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the Mac mini it makes a bit more sense, since the base model doesn't have SSD upgrades because Apple.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've got a Service Battery warning on my 13" MacBook Air Mid 2011 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5. I'm out of warranty when I bring this in to the apple store will there be any charges?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I've got a Service Battery warning on my 13" MacBook Air Mid 2011 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5. I'm out of warranty when I bring this in to the apple store will there be any charges?

How many cycles did you get out of it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

On the Mac mini it makes a bit more sense, since the base model doesn't have SSD upgrades because Apple.
On the other hand it's relatively easy to stick a SSD in that one (relative to prying off a screen and needing a custom form factor SSD at least).

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So... is the fusion drive actually worth the extra 250, or is it more gimimcky with minor performance boosts?

The Fusion drive is excellent, and beats the crap out of normal spinning hard drives. Eveything is quicker, and going to a system without an SSD is painful.

I haven't done a speed test lately, but I'm more than happy with 500MB/sec reads.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW, I replaced the battery of my 2012 13" MBA with the newer, larger 2013 battery (A1496 instead of A1405) it is a success so far, 5 cycles in.

It should give me slightly longer runtime at no additional cost. My old battery pretty much "died" around 515 cycles, it had 38% maximum capacity left at that point. The nominal voltage of the new battery is 0.3V higher than the old one, but since the battery voltage rises and falls depending on the level of charge, I don’t think this will be an issue.

I do wonder what happened to the "80% at 1000 cycles" claim mentioned here.

quote:

Your new Apple notebook features advanced battery chemistry that greatly extends the battery’s lifespan. The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity. In addition, Adaptive Charging reduces the wear and tear on the battery giving it a lifespan of up to 5 years.

versus this data:

http://online.coconut-flavour.com/index.php?modeltype=MacBookAir5,2&type=loadcycles

eames fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 15, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wonder if the firmware of your 2012 has the battery capacity hardcoded at all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Looks like the real world life is closer to 450 cycles before capacity starts to nose dive.

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder if the firmware of your 2012 has the battery capacity hardcoded at all.

In theory its possible that the final cutoff voltage for the new 2013 battery is also 0.3V higher and thus a complete discharge could be worse for this battery than the old one, but I try to avoid running the machine down to below 5%.

System Report does show the correct maximum capacity. I did a full SMC and NVRAM reset right after replacing the battery, then charged it to full and let it run down to zero for calibration purposes.
Not sure if that was a smart idea as that single deep discharge seems to have cost me ~200 mAh of the maximum capacity but whatever. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think you lost capacity, I think it just calibrated properly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KidDynamite posted:

Yes, assuming that you've just worn it down enough and have it replaced ($130 out of warranty-so still cheaper than AppleCare assuming nothing else goes wrong in the next year or two).

I had the same warning come up on mine a few weeks ago (same exact computer you have). I took it to the Apple store and they ran the diagnostic. Basically, that warning will come up when you've cycled your battery enough times to start potentially considering a replacement. Once you bring it in and they see what's up the warning won't come up again (assuming it's not a legitimate problem).

You don't have to replace it right away but your battery life will start to noticeably suffer the more you cycle it.

Josh Lyman posted:

I think it has very little with using it as a DVD player and more with having the safety net of being able to read, and perhaps more important, burn to a CD/DVD, especially since it's their only computer.

Nah, it's because they want to watch DVDs. Believe me, I know a lotta college students with 13" Pros. That's not to say you're wrong or anything.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 15, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Okay, I tried ordering an iMac with a fusion drive, and they won't take my credit card because I'm in a different country (American card, geographically in Canada). This leaves me two choices, order through the campus bookstore and wait until early-mid november, or just buy an iMac with a standard HDD. Since I'm not super keen on the idea of working on a semi-functional computer for the better part of (yet another) month, what's my best route here?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Okay, I tried ordering an iMac with a fusion drive, and they won't take my credit card because I'm in a different country (American card, geographically in Canada). This leaves me two choices, order through the campus bookstore and wait until early-mid november, or just buy an iMac with a standard HDD. Since I'm not super keen on the idea of working on a semi-functional computer for the better part of (yet another) month, what's my best route here?

Buy a Visa gift card for the amount and use that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Be careful doing that, a lot of gift cards are restricted so they can't be used for international purchases.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Oh gently caress me, are you serious? I wouldn't be able to afford an iMac and a 13" rMBP though. :negative:

Slightly, yes

The palmrest isn't so quite as large and the screen bezel isn't as tall to accommodate the larger base either.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So is it pretty much a sure thing that we'll see refreshed rMBP's on October 22? I just want to see what they're going to be :f5:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fookolt posted:

So is it pretty much a sure thing that we'll see refreshed rMBP's on October 22?
Nope! They've refreshed product (and released operating systems) around earnings calls, so they could wait until October 28.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nope! They've refreshed product (and released operating systems) around earnings calls, so they could wait until October 28.

Ah okay. Hopefully it'll be before my early Thanksgiving trip; I hate being laptopless when traveling.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Slightly, yes

The palmrest isn't so quite as large and the screen bezel isn't as tall to accommodate the larger base either.

Oh poo poo I also had no idea. Want a 13" rMBP now. That black bezel nggg…

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The worst thing about the rMBP is the screen is glossier than the Air. Probably getting another 13" when they refresh in the next week or two.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

The worst thing about the rMBP is the screen is glossier than the Air. Probably getting another 13" when they refresh in the next week or two.

I also find the extra space on the Air makes it more comfortable to use without a table.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Adding 10" of screen real estate is pretty shocking. :catstare:

Also I forgot how much fun naming a computer is :3:

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
FYI for anyone affected:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

Apple is initiating a replacement program for mid-2012 MBA SSDs. The issue is limited to 64GB/128GB drives and though not officially stated on the recall page, everything I've read indicates that only Toshiba drives are affected.

As part of the program, you download an update that either fixes something on your drive, or tells you to go get a replacement.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 18, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nah, it's because they want to watch DVDs. Believe me, I know a lotta college students with 13" Pros. That's not to say you're wrong or anything.
What college kids watch DVDs these days, what with the Netflixes and the Amazon Primes and what not.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

clockworx posted:

FYI for anyone affected:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

Apple is initiating a replacement program for mid-2012 MBA SSDs. The issue is limited to 64GB/128GB drives and though not officially stated on the recall page, everything I've read indicates that only Toshiba drives are affected.

As part of the program, you download an update that either fixes something on your drive, or tells you to go get a replacement.

You're a loving saint. I was 8 minutes from ordering an OWC replacement after the fruit stand told me to pony up a few hundred last week.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Josh Lyman posted:

What college kids watch DVDs these days, what with the Netflixes and the Amazon Primes and what not.

I know, that's what I initially said. They get the Pro "for the DVD drive" and then ironically never use it for that.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

porkface posted:

You're a loving saint. I was 8 minutes from ordering an OWC replacement after the fruit stand told me to pony up a few hundred last week.

I was in the exact same boat - went to Apple last week, denied, was about to order last night. I'm dropping my MBA off this morning to hopefully beat any rush.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Redbox?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Liquor store $2 bootleg movies? Bearshare or Limewire or whatever people use for :filez:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The people who use Redbox are the same ones who use RCA cables with their HDTVs. :colbert:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't forget Schlockbuster Video kiosks and Bastard Buy.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Josh Lyman posted:

What college kid doesn't just pirate everything they want? Not that I condone it but back in university (I only just graduated) everyone (not me of course) on campus just connected to a DC hub and downloaded anything they wanted there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The people who use Redbox are the same ones who use RCA cables with their HDTVs. :colbert:
Hey, Redbox is awesome! I can get a Blu-Ray for $1.50. Apple or any other service wants $5 for the same rental.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I got the 256gb, 8gb MBA '13 and I'm loving it so far. I get just over ~3hrs battery playing Civ5 on low settings & 1/3rd brightness. The fan doesn't even get audible unless I zoom out to see the entire map. I got the Acme sleeve-cover and together the weight hasn't registered with me at all commuting to uni with it everyday.

The only weird thing so far is that the fan will go crazy if I let it go to sleep with Civ open. Even if its just on the main menu, after going away for 5mins I come back to a jet engine. Otherwise I'm super happy.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Edit: I'm really really dumb and read MBP not MBA.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Is the Time Capsule worth a drat? I want some off-computer storage for BUs and I need a spare router to bridge my upstairs and downstairs as a single Airport Extreme is not giving me coverage the way I need it to.

I also have two AC capable devices in the house AND I am in a semi-congested wifi area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I like my time capsule and it hasn't burned out on me yet despite all the terrible reviews.