Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My warmup procedure is however long it takes from pushing start to finishing faffing about gearing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Warm up:
1. Start bike with (whatever choke it needs to keep revs above normal idle range). Ride gently.
2. Dial down choke until no longer needed to keep revs above normal idle range at the next stop or two.
3. After a few miles and with no choke necessary and having a fully warmed engine, feel free to ride like a dong should the mood strike.

Cool down:
1. Put kickstand down.
2. Pull key.

When I was newer to riding I'd do all kinds of things as far as warm-up goes, but now that EFI is around with it's automatic enrichment allowing riders to get on and go without a second thought it has occurred to me that all of that is stupid.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FI street bike:

1) Start bike. Wait until the dash registers a temperature (instead of '--') (usually while putting helmet and gloves on)
2) Ride away
3) Ride as hard as you want once the coolant is up to temp

Carb street bike:

1) start bike using choke if needed
2) when bike idles fine off choke & revs fine off choke
3) ride away

Dirt bike:

1) Start and idle while getting gear on
2) After roughly 60 seconds of idling ride away

Track bike:

1) Start bike before riders meeting, let idle until temp shows ~150 degrees or more, shut it off
2) Start bike after riders meeting, let idle up to ~170 degrees, shut it off
3) Start bike 2-3 minutes before gridding up for first session
4) After a two lap tire/fluid/engine/transmission/mental warm up, ride the piss out of it

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Warm up:
Start bike, ride away, resist wailing on the throttle for a couple of minutes.

Cool down:
Kickstand down, turn off bike.

EFI supremacy.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Tamir Lenk posted:

If it's a gravity fed petcock, leaving it ON will eventually overload the float needles and dump fuel through the overflow drains. That may also gunk up your float needles, causing you to run rich.

Vacuum petcock supremacy.

I would not leave a gravity fed petcock ON habitually. Forgetting to close it now and then probably hurts nothing, but you shouldn't rely solely on your float needles.
Uh, well, it's an '04 EX250, I would assume that it's a gravity-fed petcock. :ohdear:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
All petcocks are gravity fed, though. The question is whether they're vacuum operated.

Here's my sequence which is the best because it uses ticklers:
Fuel on
Throttle open 1/8 turn
Tickle each float 2 seconds
Ignition on
Kick
Close throttle

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I'm trying to picture you "tickling each float" and no relevant mental image is springing forth.

Also, who the hell has the throttle open when kick-starting? Is this a 2-stroke or something?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Throttle open is how it works with ticklers. Ticklers just make the float overflow so it's pissing a puddle of gas into the intake. With all that gas, you need a decent amount of air so throttle open.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ah I get it. You don't have a choke so you need to dose extra fuel via the ticker. Neat.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

captainOrbital posted:

Uh, well, it's an '04 EX250, I would assume that it's a gravity-fed petcock. :ohdear:

Look and see if there's a vacuum line attached to the petcock in addition to the fuel line. It's been a while, but I think my '03 had a vacuum shutoff.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Guinness posted:

Warm up:
Start bike, ride away, resist wailing on the throttle for a couple of minutes.

Cool down:
Kickstand down, turn off bike.

EFI supremacy.

This is it for me.

Why do people (mostly Harley riders), give it a few revs after backing up to a curb to park? I've always assumed it's just to be a tool, but is there any reason for it, even if just in their minds?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm pretty sure I had to disconnect a fuel line and another, different hose the last time I tickled my petcock.

Er, the last time I took off my tank.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

it's just to be a tool

You already figured it out

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

We made a srs post about a thing

http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com/post/63704172865/srs-post-this-time-we-here-as-dudes-enjoy

Usually we just make jokes but this got us worked up.

Solid write up. You should make a parody video wearing half helmets and having bloody/ripped up jaws.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Koruthaiolos posted:

This is it for me.

Why do people (mostly Harley riders), give it a few revs after backing up to a curb to park? I've always assumed it's just to be a tool, but is there any reason for it, even if just in their minds?

It's because they're not certain everyone has turned to look at them get off their Genuine Harley-Davidson Motorcycle, just in case they don't notice their Genuine Harley-Davidson Jacket and Genuine Harley Davidson Chaps, and therefore are not aware that they are Living the Genuine Harley Davidson Lifestyle.

(In fact I'm sure I remember my CBT instructor telling me never to rev the engine just before shutting it off, and actually to leave it idling for a second or two before switching off, but I can't for the life of me remember why)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MotoMind posted:

Ah I get it. You don't have a choke so you need to dose extra fuel via the ticker. Neat.
It has a choke but it doesn't really do much. Back in the day, ticklers were the way to start.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Warm up: start bike, rev to rev limiter, never let go.

Cool down: hit kill switch, kick bike over into the gravel, flick a ciggy at it as you walk away

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Koruthaiolos posted:

I never really understood the whole thing with blipping the throttle at the lights while I rode my Bandit. But when I got a thumper, it started to make sense. You get this nice vibration through the bike, and on the XT at least, a nice pop from the exhaust as well. I know it's dumb and silly, but it kinda makes sense, considering how dumb and silly motorcycles are.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ninja 250

Warm ambient temp: starter, 100% throttle to destination.

Cold ambient temp: choke, starter, curse, starter, throttle, starter, choke, curse, starter, hold throttle at 10% until warm, 100% throttle to destination, curse, defrost.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I never really understood the whole thing with blipping the throttle at the lights while I rode my Bandit. But when I got a thumper, it started to make sense. You get this nice vibration through the bike, and on the XT at least, a nice pop from the exhaust as well. I know it's dumb and silly, but it kinda makes sense, considering how dumb and silly motorcycles are.

I never used to be a blipper, and I thought it was lame, but now that I have a Guzzi, I do it sometimes just to feel the engine rock to the side. It's like a caged beast, slamming against the walls of his holding container in an attempt to break free. :feelsgood:

tjones
May 13, 2005
My first bike was a 1200 sporty and I loved that thing. I'd blip the throttle once or twice every now and then for fun, although I was never obnoxious with it.

I like to play a little game at red lights of "How many times is he going to blip?" I wont ever forget the guy who has set my record. He was leaving a stop sign at an intersection while I was fueling up and revved his engine a total of 24 times while waiting for traffic to clear.

The kicker? It looked like a brand new EFI road king. Had it been an ancient carbureted pig I might have some what understood. I was in stitches by the time he finally decided to leave the intersection.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Great, now my bike won't even run properly, cutting out intermittently and dumping a buttload of gas in my exhaust. I hope using a car and some jump cables hosed up my ecu in any way. :( Oh well, going to ring up a mechanic tuesday and see what he says.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm now down to no bike, although I can steal my pop's Yamaha Warrior if I ask nicely enough. That thing is a 1.7 liter v-twin with straight pipes. I can't stand how loud that loving bike is. However blipping the throttle at red lights to mess with people is always humorous. It cracks like a gunshot I tell you.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

I'm now down to no bike, although I can steal my pop's Yamaha Warrior if I ask nicely enough. That thing is a 1.7 liter v-twin with straight pipes. I can't stand how loud that loving bike is. However blipping the throttle at red lights to mess with people is always humorous. It cracks like a gunshot I tell you.

humorous to you, but to everyone else you look like a loving oval office.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
I used to blip my throttle on my carbed bike when it was still cold, or when the temperature out was below 50, so that there would not be any hesitation on take-off. I probably do it occasionally now on my FI bike just out of habit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'll throttle blip but it's on a cold blooded Ninja 250 so I don't know what people think...

Linedance posted:

Yeah that's true. I learned a bit ago though, to stop worrying about what other people on the road think of me. Before the moral brigade jumps down my throat, that doesn't mean I ride like an rear end in a top hat all of the time. What I mean is, I try to ride in a way that doesn't endanger myself or others, and in a way that doesn't inconvenience or offend other motorists in general. People will perceive you in different ways regardless of your intentions and it's stupid to try to please everyone.

Brap brapping at a stoplight? Yeah, you're probably annoying most people. But I've had friends tell me that it looked like I was "showing off" when I'd stand on the pegs, either after a red light to let my riding pants fall back into place or to go over some potholes....wtf? I've heard the same when I told non-riders that I'd swerve a bit in my lane when approaching an intersection to makes myself more visible to cars in the intersection, if I felt they hadn't seen me coming. "Don't you care that they'll think you're showing off!?" Really? Never crossed my mind that it was 'showing off'.

I've heard 'showing off' and 'trying to race' from friends before when I'd pass them on the highway in my usual way. Come upon them, my in the left lane and them in the center. I'm probably going 5mph faster than them, so slowly creeping up. Once I get near their blind spot I give the throttle a little goose and shoot thru it as quick as possible, then roll off and back down to 5 over or so. After we stopped it was "Dude why were trying to race me".

You can't please everyone. Red light revvers annoy me a bit but whatever, they're just having fun. When there's a big group and it sounds like rolling thunder, pretty cool. Ride your ride, try to not inconvenience others, and have fun.

Oh...unless you're a red light revver at 2 am. In that case, die die die die.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Linedance posted:

Are you coming on to me?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Coredump posted:

Are you coming on to me?

No, I think he wants to come on you.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Coredump posted:

However blipping the throttle at red lights to mess with people is always humorous.

This is the motorcycling equivalent of walking around in a smedium Abercrombie and Fitch polo with a spray on tan while saying "Dude!" and fistbumping everyone.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

No one does this at stoplights?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I pull the clutch in and blip the throttle on the DRZ occasionally, but it's usually when I happen to be coasting or at part throttle in gear. Dumb two-stroke premix habits die hard.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I imagine the CA hivemind would be horrified by how many people roll down their window and make the throttle motion at me. I oblige with gusto, seems to entertain people.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

I imagine the CA hivemind would be horrified by how many people roll down their window and make the throttle motion at me. I oblige with gusto, seems to entertain people.

I prefer the honda civics that rev at me during red lights. See ya buddy.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Digital_Jesus posted:

I prefer the honda civics that rev at me during red lights. See ya buddy.

I figured out that they weren't trying to race. They just wanted to hear my bike used with gusto. I obliged with a nice launch, and they were happy. It's cool to do a nice WOT feather-clutch away from a red light and only get up to 35 or 45 (whatever the speed limit is). No need to wind the thing all the way to 10k just to make noise.

I do downshift to 1st and let it burble-crack into stoplights though. That's just for me. I just LOVE the crackling. If I just BARELY crack the throttle while decelerating, I can get a nice pop every second or so. This almost certainly means I'm detonating exhaust valves or something, but whatever. I'm gonna ride this bike until the cases explode and then put in something EFI.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

No my town is filled with college kids in civics with 2fast2furious spoilers mounted on them and low profile tires. They really think they're gonna beat a sport bike coming off a red light.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I figured out that they weren't trying to race. They just wanted to hear my bike used with gusto. I obliged with a nice launch, and they were happy. It's cool to do a nice WOT feather-clutch away from a red light and only get up to 35 or 45 (whatever the speed limit is). No need to wind the thing all the way to 10k just to make noise.

I do downshift to 1st and let it burble-crack into stoplights though. That's just for me. I just LOVE the crackling. If I just BARELY crack the throttle while decelerating, I can get a nice pop every second or so. This almost certainly means I'm detonating exhaust valves or something, but whatever. I'm gonna ride this bike until the cases explode and then put in something EFI.

Nah, it's just unburned fuel lighting off in the header. EFI bikes do this too... especially the 675. :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, it's just unburned fuel lighting off in the header. EFI bikes do this too... especially the 675. :v:

I've mentioned this before but Aprilia patched the fly-by-wire system on the Shiver/Dorsoduro 750 engine to stop it doing this, then had to rush out another patch to put the pops back in because everybody was complaining.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've mentioned this before but Aprilia patched the fly-by-wire system on the Shiver/Dorsoduro 750 engine to stop it doing this, then had to rush out another patch to put the pops back in because everybody was complaining.

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Came up to a car blocking traffic during rush hour, stopped in the street on a two-lane one-way with a little old lady in the back seat and no one in the fronts. So I pulled onto the sidewalk, got off and asked if she needed help. Ended up the driver and her daughter were grabbing a dog that was running around in the street and would've probably been hit. They get going and before I can take off another guy stops to see if I'm having trouble because I was off the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Every big bike I've ridden seems to do it if it has an aftermarket can.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So...is it not normal practice to go down into first when coming to a stop? Do people just grab the clutch in second and roll with the clutch disengaged, then pop it into first?