Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
If you touch Ampharos' red bulb things on the head or tail you get zapped.

It's amazing.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Holy crap I hope they sort out the issues on the GTS. 9/10 times I go to trade something that I'm assuming is already taken it just gives a communication error and requires the game to be restarted. Once, only once I've actually seen the "this has already been traded" message.

Now I'm just putting stuff up for trades, but it doesn't help knowing other people might be facing the same thing, and the limitation of one up at a time.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
Has anyone successfully reset for a shiny starter yet? And if so, how long did it take?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chance posted:

Holy crap I hope they sort out the issues on the GTS. 9/10 times I go to trade something that I'm assuming is already taken it just gives a communication error and requires the game to be restarted. Once, only once I've actually seen the "this has already been traded" message.

Now I'm just putting stuff up for trades, but it doesn't help knowing other people might be facing the same thing, and the limitation of one up at a time.

GTS is down for maintenance through Wednesday.

So I just encountered a ghost in lumoise city on the 2nd floor of an office building. Apparently I am not the one. whoever said there was no post game is lying.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can definitely get EV-reducing berries in X and Y! In the berry farm, planting two different trees next to each other can cause hybrids/mutations. A Qualot berry grew when I had Oran and Pecha trees side by side.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The size difference Tyrantrum and Klefki is hilarious. Also now I've got my Klefki!

Now I got an awesome team of Klefki, Geninja, Tyrantrum, Gogoat, Doublade and Talonflame!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Dehry posted:

So I just encountered a ghost in lumoise city on the 2nd floor of an office building. Apparently I am not the one. whoever said there was no post game is lying.

Which building. I need to see this.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I swear I saw a passerby with both a different set of eyes other than the default and a distinct lack of a hat, anyone else seen this/know where you can change these things?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Does Power-Up Punch benefit from Iron Fist?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Hammerite posted:

I don't know. I haven't even been playing Pokémon-Amie so I don't know how it works.

Some info for anyone that hasn't messed around with Pokemon-Amie.

You find it by using L or R on the 3DS or the < or > buttons on the top corners of the bottom screen which cycles through PSS, Pokemon-Amie and Super Training. It's available almost immediately. I'm not sure if it's there from when you turn the game on, but you can't do anything with it until you get your first pokemon anyway, and it's definitely available then. Your pokemon will move around the screen as you move, and in different ways depending on how you're moving. This doesn't adequately replace following pokemon from Yellow and HG/SS, but it's something at least. :3: If you tap your pokemon on that screen it'll bring up a few different options, as well as show you some floating icons above your pokemon's head.

Decorate allows you to change the background image and place cushions, tables and other things as well as place a Poke Puff. When you go to place a cushion it shows three blue spots, which is where up to three pokemon from anyone on the PSS screen will come by and hang out for a little while if you have the Amie screen open. Placing cushions here will show them sitting on them. When they leave they have a chance of leaving behind a present which contains either a Poke Puff or decorate item, and a placed Puff guarantees a present at the cost of the Puff. Higher quality Puffs will feed more groups before being completely consumed. I don't know if placed cushions has an effect on presents, but why wouldn't you give your guests a comfy leaf, a fluffy cloud and a sturdy candy cushions to sit on?

Switch allows you to choose which of your active pokemon to use. It is also where you can most easily see the three stats that are used in Amie.
  • Affection Hearts - The main in-game benefit for Amie. It partly affects Eevee's ability to evolve into Sylveon, though I don't know the requirements. Guesses are sitting at one to three hearts. For every pokemon, the higher this is the more Affection Benefits, for lack of a better term, your pokemon will have available and/or the more often they will occur; things like a chance for a Sturdy effect, the ability to sometimes remove status effects and boosted EXP gains. It also triggers little events in battle; things like praise for super-effective attacks or possible warnings that your opponent has a super-effective move against you. Finally, there's some people saying that higher or maxed Affection allow them to use higher level traded pokemon than their gym badges would normally allow. :siren: Affection is NOT happiness. Getting 5 Affection on Togepi will not let it evolve into a Togetic. It might have an effect on happiness, but that's just speculation on my part.
  • Fullness Puffs - Whether or not your pokemon will eat another Puff.
  • Enjoyment Notes - Whether or not your pokemon will receive Affection from being petted.
The floating icons above you pokemon's head are a shorthand way of seeing these stats. There's a certain pattern for each level that's shared for each stat. One slow heart before a long pause is one Affection; one slow heart before a short pause is 3 Affection (you'll see two sets in the same amount of time that you would see one in comparison to one Affection); six fast hearts before a short pause is 5 Affection. No hearts is 0 Affection. I don't have any pokemon with 2 or 4 of something so I don't know those patterns. Enjoyment is identical but with notes instead of hearts while Fullness is the opposite but with Puffs, so six fast Puffs means an empty Fullness bar.

Play is, unsurprisingly, where you get to actually play with your pokemon, and where you will spend most of your active Amie time. After tapping Play you will (likely) be face-to-face with your pokemon on the bottom screen and have at least two icons. The bottom right allows you to exit back to the main game while the top left is your Poke Puff drawer. You can pet your pokemon here to gain Affection as long as they have Enjoyment, which I'll cover in a bit. Some pokemon have certain areas they don't like to be petted, like Honedge's tassel/scarf/hand thing, while others have areas that have other effects, like Pikachu's cheeks and Mareep's fur shocking your hand. When you get a note icon instead of hearts it means your pokemon is out of Enjoyment.

Dragging a Puff out of the drawer and holding on to it will allow your pokemon to eat it, but if you lift the stylus the puff will drop.
Eating Puffs will increase your pokemon's Affection and Fullness stats. I don't know if quality affects fullness, but the type and quality of Puff will definitely affect how much Affection your pokemon will gain. 1 heart is the lowest I've seen, while giving your pokemon their favorite will show 6 hearts. While approaching a max Fullness stat your pokemon will eat slower until it will refuse to eat any more. I'm not 100% sure on how decreasing Fullness works, but I think playing Amie mini-games and running around in the main game will both decrease Fullness for your active Amie pokemon. You can get more Puffs by having your guests leave some behind or by playing the Amie mini-games.

Speaking of the mini-games, if you have three or more active pokemon you will get a third icon in the top right which gives you access to the three mini-games, each using three of your active pokemon. (That's a lot of threes. :stare:) Every game has four difficulties: Easy, Normal, Hard and Unlimited, with each requiring 4(3?)-star performance from the previous to unlock. Berry Picker is a matching game where you drag berries on a tree to match one of your pokemon's requests. Get's a little hectic on Hard and around 70 berries on Unlimited. Unlimited runs until you miss three requests while the others have a time limit. Head It is a timing game where you're bouncing balls of yarn off of your pokemons' heads. Different colors have different speeds while different types have different accelerations. The closer the yarn is to the mark on top of your pokemon the more points you will get, I believe it's 1-3 points. Your longest combo is then added at the end to get your total. All game difficulties run similarly to Berry Picker's. Tile Puzzle is a relatively simple puzzle where you swap pieces to get them in the correct spot, not to be confused with the much more difficult sliding puzzles where there's one free space and you slide pieces around to make a picture. Unlimited runs until you run out of time but correct swaps and completed puzzles will add to your timer. The other difficulties have no time limit aside from possibly a soft-cap of taking too long and getting 0 points.

Mini-games reward Puffs on completion. How well you do will determine how many and of what quality. 3-stars will get you 3 standard Puffs while 5 stars will get you 6, two of which will be the best quality possible. Completing mini-games will also give every pokemon that participated Enjoyment, not just your active one. Your pokemon will also gain Enjoyment just from starting Amie after a little bit of a wait from you last exit. It's just happy to see you. :3:

Finally, there's a fourth icon in the bottom left. When your pokemon is looking at you and you're in a position that the inside 3DS camera can see your face it will show up. Tilting your head or making faces while it's displayed will start a little side-game where you have to match your pokemon's requests. Things like tilting your head to one side, winking, closing your eyes and opening your mouth. If you have long hair, bangs, eye wear or anything else covering your face, including your eyebrows, and/or are not in a lit enough area, you'll probably have issues with the game recognizing what your doing. Put your hair up or to the side, take off your glasses (there's plenty of time to swap glasses off and on if you're like me and can't see poo poo without them) and turn on a light. It's also facial recognition software on a portable device with a mediocre camera, so I wouldn't expect miracles.

Occasionally this will happen when you enter Amie:

operative lm posted:

I've run into a bit of a problem:

Since last night, all of my Pokémon face away from the screen but as if they're still waiting for pets. There's no way to back out of the screen as far as I can tell. Had to turn the 3DS off and lose an hour and a half's worth of progress. The only thing I did beforehand was stick my Pikachu into the EV trainer for a bit.

I just want to pet things. :(

When it does you cannot pet or interact with it at all until you call it's name out loud. Blowing over the microphone won't work, but other than that I don't know the specifics. You might also be able to just tap the bottom right corner, as I accidentally hit there the last time I had this happen and it immediately turned around. Haven't had this happen again since then, so I haven't been able to test if other corners work or whether it was just a fluke that it worked in the first place.

You know it's an RPG when such a simple task as petting your monsters can actually take up so many :words: writing out some of the mechanics. :allears:

kharaa posted:

Holy poo poo, if you are on a bike when you talk to the photo guy, you'll be on your bike for the picture

goty2013

Having your roller skates on will also show up. :3: It's pretty easy to not notice them, though.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 15, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I got challenged to one of those rotational battles. The rules said 3 on 3 but my opponent got to use six?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm new to the breeding game.

I want baby bulbasaurs. I put my venusaur in the daycare with a mareep and only get mareep eggs. What am I doing wrong here?

Also I saved in not-Paris, closed my ds for the night, quickly realized my mistake and moved out of town to resave. Close call.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Onean posted:

When it does you cannot pet or interact with it at all until you call it's name out loud. Blowing over the microphone won't work, but other than that I don't know the specifics. You might also be able to just tap the bottom right corner, as I accidentally hit there the last time I had this happen and it immediately turned around. Haven't had this happen again since then, so I haven't been able to test if other corners work or whether it was just a fluke that it worked in the first place.

Wait. Its species name or its nickname?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Sockser posted:

I'm new to the breeding game.

I want baby bulbasaurs. I put my venusaur in the daycare with a mareep and only get mareep eggs. What am I doing wrong here?

Also I saved in not-Paris, closed my ds for the night, quickly realized my mistake and moved out of town to resave. Close call.

Your Mareep has to be the female in this case. If your Venusaur is male you'll need a ditto.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Fried Chicken posted:

Go beat the second gym

Midway up the bike path grant flags you down. Beat him and when you return to the Stonehenge town there is some plot and then no hikers

Oh my freaking God. I backtracked a bit because I just couldn't find out where the second gym was. I followed your advice and I scavenged around the bike track and there it was. I'm pretty stupid for not noticing it all this time.

Thanks! I drew you something for the trouble.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Harlock posted:

I got challenged to one of those rotational battles. The rules said 3 on 3 but my opponent got to use six?

Yeah I made an rear end of myself assuming that was the norm (thanks a lot, pokemon stadium)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

alcharagia posted:

Wait. Its species name or its nickname?

I think either one, as long as the game can recognize them. I don't know the specifics as I've only had it happen twice. The first time I just called out Braixen and the second time I accidentally caused him to turn around without saying anything. I'm one of those boring people that don't nickname their pokemon, though I thought about taking up a gimmick this run, but couldn't think of one before I couldn't wait to play any longer. :(

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Mareep is the most dangerous pokemon to pet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Anybody have a Kadabra they want to trade for a Kadabra and if so where do I get my FC?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Onean posted:

I think either one, as long as the game can recognize them.

So... so when Bank comes out I could trade my Metagross from White and have him actually respond to the name Mr. Bucket?

WHY DO I NOT ALREADY HAVE THIS GAME

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Big thanks for the Amie guide, Onean. One question, does Affection ever decrease?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Stalgren posted:

Where can you catch a Mareep?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Stalgren posted:

Muk is worse.

Fire Red's Pokedex posted:

It is usually undetectable because it blends in with the ground. Touching it can cause terrible poisoning.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

"I can tell that Lucario has a great bond with you!"

*shoves it in a box to never be used again*

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Dehry posted:

Oh, must be not completely down/shut off then. I got some pokemon in and out today, just an abundance of the crashing as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Harlock posted:

"I can tell that Lucario has a great bond with you!"

*shoves it in a box to never be used again*

I actually stuck with him for a little while because he was tearing poo poo up. But he was TOO good at tearing poo poo up so I boxed him.

Also what's this big ice rock I came across? Is that where you evolve Eevee into the ice one?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Is there a button combination for a soft reset? And can I reset to change the nature on the free torchic or is it preset like the gender?

It only took me three tries to get a female froakie which was nice. She likes when you rub her legs.:3:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Chance posted:

Oh, must be not completely down/shut off then. I got some pokemon in and out today, just an abundance of the crashing as well.

Yeah, I don't think it's completely down because I put a Pokemon up perfectly fine an hour ago. I think it's just "in maintenance" while still being semi-active.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Macaluso posted:

But he was TOO good at tearing poo poo up so I boxed him.
Why would you do this? :psyduck:

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Awesome! posted:

Is there a button combination for a soft reset? And can I reset to change the nature on the free torchic or is it preset like the gender?

It only took me three tries to get a female froakie which was nice. She likes when you rub her legs.:3:

Start+Select+L+R

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Damnit ghosts let me use False Swipe on you :argh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Awesome! posted:

L-R-Start

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Awesome! posted:

It's L+R+Start.

Finally got a shiny Chespin. :3: Only took 17 hours. :v:

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Where can you catch a Mareep?

Route 12 in the cutest hordes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Crosscontaminant posted:

Well to be fair I was going to box him anyway because I want my team to be all new Pokemon. And I'll be the first person to switch a game I play to easy mode, but Mega Lucario was just too easy

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Can you semi-easily reset EVs in X/Y?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Elysiume posted:

Can you semi-easily reset EVs in X/Y?

Yes. Once a pokemon is maxed out having them hit the empty bag in super training for a while will eventually drop a bag which resets all EVs.

MECHARL WINSLOW
Mar 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
drat, someone just traded me a Xerneas for a Bulbasaur over GTS.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Crosscontaminant posted:

Because it makes things too easy to the point of being boring? That's the reason why I only use the event Blaziken in emergencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zore posted:

Yes. Once a pokemon is maxed out having them hit the empty bag in super training for a while will eventually drop a bag which resets all EVs.

They don't even need to be maxed out. Just press the screen when they just have the blank bag and you'll be rolling in extra bags.

• Locked thread