Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Crosscontaminant posted:

Why would you do this? :psyduck:

I boxed mine pretty quickly too for the same reason. I also ditched Snorlax because of how good it was and I refuse to download the event Torchic until after I've beat the Elite 4 because apparently it's an unstoppable hellbeast but also out of protest because Blaziken is stupid and I'm still pissed that it isn't a Mega Sceptile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Has anyone else used a Vivillon for the main game? It learns Bug Buzz at level 35, and way before then you get Draining Kiss and Psybeam. This butterfly is pretty :black101:. Too bad it wasn't Bug/Fairy with Levitate.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

If you're on the pokemon list, you can hit the little silver TM icon to get to moves like Fly without going through the menus. Well, it opens the menu right to an expanded "USE A MOVE". Saves a few seconds, at least.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do I need to have a Pokeball in my bag to get Shedinja or will any other kind of ball do? I just evolved Nincada and didn't get Shedinja even though I had a ton of Great Balls.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because it makes things too easy to the point of being boring? That's the reason why I only use the event Blaziken in emergencies.

Yeah I'm getting close to just boxing my entire team and starting over from scratch because they're like 5 levels over the Gym Leaders monsters (c'mon Game Freak let me catch everything without jacking my Pokémon's levels up to insane heights I haven't had a Pokémon this overlevelled since I was 5 :().

Which would suck because I like most of my guys but there's zero challenge to any of the fights.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah I'm getting close to just boxing my entire team and starting over from scratch because they're like 5 levels over the Gym Leaders monsters (c'mon Game Freak let me catch everything without jacking my Pokémon's levels up to insane heights I haven't had a Pokémon this overlevelled since I was 5 :().

Which would suck because I like most of my guys but there's zero challenge to any of the fights.

Did you turn off Exp Share? I did and I've been closely or slightly underleveled to everyone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, with the crazy XP encouraging playing with multiple guys, the Pokerus I picked up in the wild has spread all over the place. It'sa awesome.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

This thread has been moving extremely fast so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but all my Claunchers are hatching out of great balls. Do the babies inherit the pokeball of the mother or something? :0

Edit: also post-game I got a Swirlix evo dress in the friend safari town. It's so goofy!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Did you turn off Exp Share? I did and I've been closely or slightly underleveled to everyone.

I haven't, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lupus Rufus posted:

Has anyone else used a Vivillon for the main game? It learns Bug Buzz at level 35, and way before then you get Draining Kiss and Psybeam. This butterfly is pretty :black101:. Too bad it wasn't Bug/Fairy with Levitate.

Bug/Fairy I'm all for but levitate on it would be a loving waste of an ability slot. Tinted Lens or compound eyes for life.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 15, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

alcharagia posted:

So... so when Bank comes out I could trade my Metagross from White and have him actually respond to the name Mr. Bucket?

WHY DO I NOT ALREADY HAVE THIS GAME

That's a very good question. :colbert:

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Big thanks for the Amie guide, Onean. One question, does Affection ever decrease?

Not a problem. :) As far as I know, Affection will never decrease. If it does, it's at an incredibly slow pace. Maybe if the pokemon is in a box? I'm in the middle of a cave right now and can't test that one, but I doubt it. It's probably similar to Happiness or the contest stuff from gen III.

And then I just remembered I forgot to mention that Affection is NOT Happiness. I'll have to fix that.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

RedRupee posted:

This thread has been moving extremely fast so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but all my Claunchers are hatching out of great balls. Do the babies inherit the pokeball of the mother or something? :0

Do you have any standard pokeballs in your inventory?

Unbound fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 15, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok gently caress this restaurant's rotation battles. Sure I can do it in 6 turns... if you didn't spam Protect/Dig/Fly every single turn :argh:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I'm really close to just saying gently caress it and having an all fighting type run. I already have Blaziken, Chesnaught, and Hawlucha(who's quickly becoming my favorite) in my current group and I have a Pancham and a Scraggy in my box that I really want to level up. So many options!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unbound posted:

That's not it. I hatched a charmander (got from GTS in a pokeball), Houndour (caught with a dusk ball) and a... um, crayfish-guy (got over GTS in a pokeball) in that order in quick succession and the kids came out of the eggs in poke/dusk/pokeballs. Other parent was a Ditto every time.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Dehry posted:

So I just encountered a ghost in lumoise city on the 2nd floor of an office building. Apparently I am not the one. whoever said there was no post game is lying.

Hey I saw that too. I thought it was the lady in Hotel Richissime who would tell you to be quiet because she needed to hear the elevator.

I have no idea what it's about, but now I'm curious. Also is there anything more to that haunted house in the swamp? I intentionally didn't tip the guy because he said bad stuff would happen, I was hoping that meant a special ghost encounter or something.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Onean posted:

That's a very good question.

I actually know the answer- my family has a bizarrely draconian stance on Christmas where I, as a younger member of the family, am not allowed to buy myself anything new from October through December to maintain my ability to make a Christmas List. Unfortunately, this prohibits me from playing Pokemon Y (because X is for losers) until basically the end of the year.

So the "why" is really more existential.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Unbound posted:

Yeah I have at least one of each type of pokeball in my inventory. All the eggs are shown as great balls in the party before they've even hatched.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

alcharagia posted:

I actually know the answer- my family has a bizarrely draconian stance on Christmas where I, as a younger member of the family, am not allowed to buy myself anything new from October through December to maintain my ability to make a Christmas List. Unfortunately, this prohibits me from playing Pokemon Y (because X is for losers) until basically the end of the year.

Uh what? Couldn't you just... buy Pokemon and not put it on your christmas list??

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

HoneyBoy posted:

Hey I saw that too. I thought it was the lady in Hotel Richissime who would tell you to be quiet because she needed to hear the elevator.

I have no idea what it's about, but now I'm curious. Also is there anything more to that haunted house in the swamp? I intentionally didn't tip the guy because he said bad stuff would happen, I was hoping that meant a special ghost encounter or something.

I also didn't tip him under the same idea. However I have yet to find this Ghost. And frankly, that sounds a lot more fun than chasing Articuno around the world.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Buy one version and put the other on your Christmas List.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rhonne posted:

Buy one version and put the other on your Christmas List.

Now there's an idea.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

For pokemon amie, 2 runthroughs of a game will reset your pokemon's enjoyment and fullness, letting you go back and feed/pet it all the way up again.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok gently caress this restaurant's rotation battles. Sure I can do it in 6 turns... if you didn't spam Protect/Dig/Fly every single turn :argh:

Look, fella, I'm not eating this cheese made from an Arbok's Toxic poison. You're just trying to kill me and turn me into the food. I saw You Can't Do That on Television! I know what's in the burgers! :mad:

The damned triple battle does that too. Dugtrio digs, Pidgeot flies, and Shuckle Protects. Argh!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Somehow the triple battles were ridiculously easy to get the right turns on, I probably got lucky. Except the 3 Zangoose. That was brutal.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Wait, you mean I can catch all the kidnapper balloons and sand hippos I want without having to slow the plot to a crawl or deal with hours of tedious bullshit? It's like a dream come true! Man where the hell was this Game Freak in Gen IV?

COMEDY EDIT: waiting for their game to finish saving :rimshot:

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 15, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

megalodong posted:

For pokemon amie, 2 runthroughs of a game will reset your pokemon's enjoyment and fullness, letting you go back and feed/pet it all the way up again.

Get head it mode to unlimited difficulty (play through the difficulties sequentially) play it twice and you should get at least 5 of the treats with swirled cream with a topping. Rub the Pokémon and feed them 5 of those treats. Play 2 times again. You'll max it out in 30 minutes or less.

Playing dress up is so fun. Sorry bank balance.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
So guys, in the postgame I want to start using some different pokeymans in the battle thingy, but I want to try to get them up to a reasonable level and whatnot. The issue is that I don't know where or how to grind. Do you grind just by sticking lucky egg on a duder, exp share them up in the E4? is there a better location than one that I have a good good chance of just dying in?

How do you grind, and where do you grind?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Can anyone tell me what exactly I'm supposed to do to activate the post-game quest chains that allow you to get the rest of the Mega stones and work for Looker, and also how to activate the rival battle in the post-game city?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Random NPC in Shalour: "I know this Hiker who really likes Ferris wheels. It looks like he finally found love..."

:shobon:

Godspeed, :gay: Hiker.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I must say I was pretty disappointed the storyline Lucario is locked to a garbage Nature and can't be reset for something better. Anyone know where I can get a Riolu or a Ditto to fix this?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I must say I was pretty disappointed the storyline Lucario is locked to a garbage Nature and can't be reset for something better. Anyone know where I can get a Riolu or a Ditto to fix this?

You can get Riolu all the way back at Route 22.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

alcharagia posted:

How about just buy Pokemon and don't tell your parents you bought it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rangpur posted:

COMEDY EDIT: waiting for their game to finish saving :rimshot:
Yeah about that, Internet stuff is acting up so if you have game sync on it might chug saving abit

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Anybody else using a Carbink? This thing is insanely resistant to damage and I love its goofy little ears. If it gets Recover or any way to heal itself outside of Rest I'll be the happiest person.

Storyline Lucario deserves to be boxed because Lucario is lame and I got sick of him being shoved in my face as this "super cool" pokemon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HalfHazard posted:

You can get Riolu all the way back at Route 22.

gently caress everything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah about that, Internet stuff is acting up so if you have game sync on it might chug saving abit

He meant the Gen 4 games, I think. This game saves fast as hell in comparison to those. Even with Game Sync down, it saves much quicker than the DS titles.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

WHAT THE gently caress

I was just looking for a mareep on route 14, when a "wild moltres appeared"

Before I could even choose a pokeball, it fled.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

edit: make that route 12

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 15, 2013

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Ok, so I haven't played since gold and silver, and holy crap am I lost. I broke down and got this game because I heard so many good things about it. Pokemon breeding? EV training? poke amie? How does all this online stuff work? Where can I go to get up on the curve and make a murder team for online play and get boss tote bags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

I was just looking for a mareep on route 14, when a "wild moltres appeared"

Before I could even choose a pokeball, it fled.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

Articuno has been doing the same thing for me. If you figure out how to get it to stick around, let me know.

• Locked thread