Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

OBi posted:

Just got on and did a quick test match. The client seemed more responsive (Deck editor still pretty laggy) and I never got the hanging priority bug through a whole AI match. Just a lucky game, or is it getting better already?

I seem to have better luck vs AI than live people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Been playing matches now and again, even a few against actual people! It's getting more stable by the day, it seems. The interface is clunky but I think that's more a function of alpha than anything else. Only figured out how to switch champion today.

Lots of neat decks are possible. I feel like green / shin'hare is a stronger color than the others right now just because it seems like they have more cards whose interactions are working, but I might just be being dumb. There are lots of card draw effects, which makes the pace of most games a little more intense.

Overall play is very intuitive. Only quibbles: not having played online before the hardest thing to get used to is not being able to say "wait, no, I don't do that." An undo button of some kind or a warning from the ai when you still have options on the table would be a nice crutch. Cards do get sorta highlighted but it's easy to click buttons too fast and click through options. Also, if this is going to aim at a mass audience, a better name than "pass priority" needs to be thought up.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

One thing I wish is that it wouldn't hold priority up if I had no actions I could reasonably take. I don't want to turn off the priority pauses on the off chance I need them, but having to click through them constantly does get a little old. One thing I like about the bite sized digital magic games is the ability to have no stops, but still able to manually stop it at any time. It is possible Hex already has this and I haven't found it yet, but if they don't, they should add it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

King Burgundy posted:

One thing I wish is that it wouldn't hold priority up if I had no actions I could reasonably take. I don't want to turn off the priority pauses on the off chance I need them, but having to click through them constantly does get a little old. One thing I like about the bite sized digital magic games is the ability to have no stops, but still able to manually stop it at any time. It is possible Hex already has this and I haven't found it yet, but if they don't, they should add it.

It can't do this by default because then your opponent knows by how the client responds whether you have a counterspell (or similar) in hand. MTGO has a button you can press to skip priority for an entire turn and another to skip priority for an entire turn unless your opponent does something, both of which ought to be added to the client if they aren't already present.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
I edited one of the demo decks and now I'm missing several cards. It may or may not be related to the demo decks, I honestly haven't really had enough free time to deckbuild so I've only made the one deck.

Just be aware that building / editing decks may result in cards disappearing from your deck / collection right now.

It's a known bug

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

OBi posted:

I edited one of the demo decks and now I'm missing several cards. It may or may not be related to the demo decks, I honestly haven't really had enough free time to deckbuild so I've only made the one deck.

Just be aware that building / editing decks may result in cards disappearing from your deck / collection right now.

It's a known bug

Yeah, never mess with the demo decks, this is a known issue. I really wish there were updates from CZ on what has been fixed to assist in testing. Like, do I play grawk to see if it's still busted or am I just being a dick?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

UberJew posted:

It can't do this by default because then your opponent knows by how the client responds whether you have a counterspell (or similar) in hand. MTGO has a button you can press to skip priority for an entire turn and another to skip priority for an entire turn unless your opponent does something, both of which ought to be added to the client if they aren't already present.

Well, now I feel stupid. Of course.

But if I could pause at will and have all the autopauses off it would address it. Also, your above suggestions would be great.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

King Burgundy posted:

Well, now I feel stupid. Of course.

But if I could pause at will and have all the autopauses off it would address it. Also, your above suggestions would be great.

Isn't there some kind of sliding window option where you can tell it "auto pass priority after N seconds unless I say otherwise"?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Thoom posted:

Isn't there some kind of sliding window option where you can tell it "auto pass priority after N seconds unless I say otherwise"?

As it turns out, yes. I didn't see the slider. That helps a bunch.

I'd still like an easy way to throw a pause on my terms. But its possible it is already there too and I'm just missing it. :)

eta: looks like I can do it just by pushing the main phase button. So probably once hot key controls are in there will be a way to set one.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 14, 2013

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I know it's easy enough to remember what the card does but things like Chlorophyllia and Demolition really bug me because the resource symbols are tiny and impossible to read, only thing that really gets to me about the game so far

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Since we've got nothing else to talk about, Cryptozoic posted this in their alpha forum today

quote:

Hey all. We collected a ton of great data from you all this weekend and through that we discovered four bugs that were causing stability problems, the "Pass Priority" button disappearing, and the "this user is already logged in" error. So, that's great. We're testing fixes over the next day to see if our proposed fixes solve the problems at hand. Thank you for all your help in that and we'll have another update tomorrow should we make some progress on that front.

Also, here's a kind of interesting article about card balancing so far in alpha: http://www.casualhex.co.uk/2013/10/14/alpha-card-changes/

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Grim posted:

I know it's easy enough to remember what the card does but things like Chlorophyllia and Demolition really bug me because the resource symbols are tiny and impossible to read, only thing that really gets to me about the game so far

Right now we have to focus on getting the game functional and other interfaces up. I can't say why since I'm not an engineer, but anybody who attended Gen Con can attest to the fact that we lost a good amount of cards with this alpha client from the Gen Con client. I really do doubt that the way that we display threshold, resources now are permanent and final. I'm no UI guy either, but it's not great in displaying resource information.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and people are apprehensive about Demented Demolisher, which I can understand, but I demolished all those decks this evening by playing 1-cost ruby dorks over and over again. =)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hey man don't get me wrong, it's great having only one thing that bugs me about the game so far - I just needed to vent is all :angel:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Blinkman987 posted:

Edit: Oh, yeah, and people are apprehensive about Demented Demolisher, which I can understand, but I demolished all those decks this evening by playing 1-cost ruby dorks over and over again. =)

Yeah, once Reginald and Countermagic are in the game, I'm pretty sure Demolisher combo is over.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Blinkman987 posted:

Yeah I modded my Demented deck pretty quick to compensate for aggro strategies, once I found them I be problematic. Extinctions and some Heat Waves take care of pretty much everything that can can be an issue while you set up. There's only ~40 resources in the deck in running now, but with Gozzog to give you an artificially inflated life total and secret labs to dig for solutions to any issues it hasn't lost that many matchups.

My weird dwarven artifact deck on the other hand still needs a couple cards to exist before it'll be great, since right now bad draws can be really bad.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm pretty sure magic had a card that allowed you to search through your deck and remove any/all land cards you wanted for 1U and only ever saw play by people who really hated mana flood.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The difference here are Escalation spells. If you could make it so you were drawing a burn spell that not only shuffled itself back into your library but got more powerful (and stayed the same cost) that card would've seen a lot more play.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty sure magic had a card that allowed you to search through your deck and remove any/all land cards you wanted for 1U and only ever saw play by people who really hated mana flood.

You're wrong. Mana Severance was a key part of a Charbelcher combo deck in Extended before Tinker was banned.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

So... Anyone know what "Zone Reckoning" is? I'm assuming something to do with login servers, since the error I receive when trying to log on is that I'm currently there already.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

You're wrong. Mana Severance was a key part of a Charbelcher combo deck in Extended before Tinker was banned.

Guess I knew less then I thought about MTG when I was 11 :(

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Hopefully this update makes the game stable enough to play.

Am I the only one having problems with the deck builder? Frequently I open the deck builder and there are no cards in my library, and none in the decks I load. In addition the performance of loading those cards in is really bad. Obviously, this being alpha I expect there will be a lot of improvement in this area. Futzing with decks online and building them is one of my favorite things to do, so I'm really hoping that this whole interface improves rapidly.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

quote:

We'll be deploying a stability patch on Thursday, 10/17 at 10:00 AM Pacific. We expect the server will be down for 1 hour. We'll have more information tomorrow, including patch notes. Thanks for your patience everyone. Hopefully this will solve many of the issues you're experiencing.

Maybe wave 2 soon?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Go RV! posted:

Maybe wave 2 soon?

Who knows, but if this patch does what the notes say it does, then the game will be pretty playable.

nerox
May 20, 2001

tijag posted:

Who knows, but if this patch does what the notes say it does, then the game will be pretty playable.

Where do you see the notes?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nerox posted:

Where do you see the notes?

In the official Forum
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27943&p=308154&viewfull=1#post308154

quote:

HEX Alpha Patch version 812

General
• General stability and crash fixes.
• Framerate is now locked to 60 FPS.
• Players will now get a pop up on server connection loss.
• Added version number to patcher screen.
• Midnight Shepherd was causing stability issues so has been temporarily removed.

Chat
• Players can now chat while waiting on matchmaking.
• Chat defaults on when entering a match.
• Chat will automatically appear on the game screen when receiving a message.
• Players can now correctly scroll through chat.
• Chat window is moveable. It can also be resized by pulling the bottom right corner.
• /whisper, /w, and /t now works to send private messages to other players.
• Chat should no longer appear multiple times when switching lobbies.

User Interface
• The client now remembers the resolution and sound setting properly from session to session.
• Alpha_Collection no longer appears in the deck list.
• Champion selection screen is now scrollable.
• Added a “Remember Me” checkbox on the login screen.
• Players can now paste into the login and password fields.

New Known Issues
• Users may have to log out and log back in again the first time connecting to the update.
• If the patch downloads each time you start the client please click the ‘Repair Install’ button after completing the patch.
• Game Victory/Defeat screen has a big purple circle.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It looks like they're putting most of their effort into stability but still doing a few other small fixes on the side, which is good. I was a little worried the patch notes would be a single line saying "the game doesn't crash now", and then the official forums would have blown up into a mess of people going RARGH THAT'S ONLY ONE THING HOW MUCH TIME CAN ONE THING TAKE. This way there's both progress and the appearance of progress.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Stability is by far the most important thing right now. Figuring out how to make sure the game doesn't crash on people and letting more people actually play their games will let other bugs show up later and they can fix those then.

As hard as it is to be patient, I would rather have a more stable client before they start allowing more of us to get on the alpha.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Woo stability and password pasting!

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
I found this thread last week after Google searching "something awful hex." I really thought there wasn't a thread!

Anyway, I read the entire thread up until this point and I'm really excited about playing with all of you. I only know personally one other person who backed Hex, and I couldn't convince anyone else to give it a try. So it's good to know there will be a community out there I can participate in.

I was extra excited to see we have at least one other member living on my side of the world. I live in Taiwan, so I am always missing out on the crowds. Lookin' forward to playing with you Grim :buddy:

To weigh in on previous discussions: I'm one of the ones who lucked out and got a pro-player. I played MTG and Pokemon when I was young and quit both because they were costing far too much money, and would as long as I played. The capacity of a TCG/CCG to be an infinite money sink was just too much. I (hopefully) won't have to pay a dime to get whatever cards I want with PP.

Also with PP, I ensure that even if I get bored of Hex after a year, four years from now when I get an urge to play a TCG I won't have to dump another $250 just to be competitive.

As for recent news, I feel like Cryptic is doing alpha in probably the best way possible. I appreciate the transparency. I really look forward to my invite email, but I'll be patient! In the meantime, I'm memorizing cards by drafting at hex-databank.

Anyone have any other tips on practicing before getting into the game itself? I've never drafted once in my entire life; the only knowledge I have came from a video about BREAD. I'm not even sure what sorts of things count as bombs.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
They really need to hurry up and invite the $250 tiers already. It will push the player count from maybe a couple of hundred up to ~2500 (there are so many people that pledged multiple time.) It will really speed up testing the card interactions and provide more crash reports for their team to work through to smooth poo poo out.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Afgad posted:

Anyone have any other tips on practicing before getting into the game itself? I've never drafted once in my entire life; the only knowledge I have came from a video about BREAD. I'm not even sure what sorts of things count as bombs.

They call it a bomb because that's it exactly what it is. A card that hits the table and makes your opponent scramble for an answer. Exactly which cards are bombs is dependent on the metagame. Beefy flyers can be bombs. That nifty escalation burn card could be a bomb. A card that turns your pile of 1/1's into 3/3's with trample is a bomb. Since you got in at pro player, you'll have plenty of games to see first hand what cards are win conditions. There will be no shortage of discussion on which cards fit into which categories once we get the whole first set in play and a larger number of goons playing.

Finally, I'd also recommend reading this article. It's about MTG, but it talks in loose TCG terms that can be applied to hex. Knowing what cards fit into which section of that metagame clock is a big deal for draft.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RADmadness posted:

They really need to hurry up and invite the $250 tiers already. It will push the player count from maybe a couple of hundred up to ~2500 (there are so many people that pledged multiple time.) It will really speed up testing the card interactions and provide more crash reports for their team to work through to smooth poo poo out.

It probably wouldn't hurt anything for them to invite the $250 tiers just to make sure there are more people online, but -- and I know it's easy for me to say this since I'm in-game already and it sucks to be outside waiting -- but honestly I feel like getting more cards working should be a bigger priority.

As it is right now the biggest problem the game has is that a lot of the most interesting cards aren't working. As a result it feels like the number of "working" decks is a lot smaller than it could be, the pool of available strategies is kinda small, what strategies there are are hard to evaluate, etc. Compare the spoiler list with the cards spoiled on the website and you'll see what I mean. Half the most interesting cards (from Bone Warrior to General's Tent to Dopplegadget) aren't in game, and many others that are in game don't work quite right (fateful rack), including some that are in the pre-mixed demo decks (construction plans: war hulk).

I don't mean this as a criticism -- it's in Alpha and that's what Alpha means -- but the game overall is at "interesting demo and working proof of concept" stage. It's not a full game yet. Once they have most of the cards working and most of the obvious bugs ironed out, then it'll be time to invite more folks.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 21, 2013

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It probably wouldn't hurt anything for them to invite the $250 tiers just to make sure there are more people online, but -- and I know it's easy for me to say this since I'm in-game already and it sucks to be outside waiting -- but honestly I feel like getting more cards working should be a bigger priority.

As it is right now the biggest problem the game has is that a lot of the most interesting cards aren't working. As a result it feels like the number of "working" decks is a lot smaller than it could be, the pool of available strategies is kinda small, what strategies there are are hard to evaluate, etc. Compare the spoiler list with the cards spoiled on the website and you'll see what I mean. Half the most interesting cards (from Bone Warrior to General's Tent to Dopplegadget) aren't in game, and many others that are in game don't work quite right (fateful rack), including some that are in the pre-mixed demo decks (construction plans: war hulk).

I don't mean this as a criticism -- it's in Alpha and that's what Alpha means -- but the game overall is at "interesting demo and working proof of concept" stage. It's not a full game yet. Once they have most of the cards working and most of the obvious bugs ironed out, then it'll be time to invite more folks.

Except for the fact that they promised the other tiers alpha access as well. You wanting the game to be smoother doesn't take priority over letting other people in when they paid to play. Basically check your privilege.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

As a $250 tier, I'm very much ok with them taking more time to increase stability. There's no point in bringing us in to a game to exacerbate the stability issues and crash bugs that they're working on.

They put out a stability patch on Thursday that seemed to help a lot, from what I've heard. They had a hardware failure on Friday, that's getting fixed today/tomorrow. Have some patience.

e: That said, delaying the wave because some card scripting isn't done. Because the meta hasn't matured? Please.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 21, 2013

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Go RV! posted:

As a $250 tier, I'm very much ok with them taking more time to increase stability. There's no point in bringing us in to a game to exacerbate the stability issues and crash bugs that they're working on.

They put out a stability patch on Thursday that seemed to help a lot, from what I've heard. They had a hardware failure on Friday, that's getting fixed today/tomorrow. Have some patience.

e: That said, delaying the wave because some card scripting isn't done. Because the meta hasn't matured? Please.

Clearly, CZE needs some privilege checking as well. I mean what gives those blasted developers the right to delay MY ALPHA ACCESS?! My 250 bucks paid for it and I want it now!
:goonsay:

vvv: I know! It's so completely unacceptable for things like real life and unexpected programming challenges to come up! How come CZE didn't have the experience and foresight to see this coming in the production of their first MMO ever? Stop jerking me around and deliver on dates you clearly stated were subject to change! :argh:

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 21, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
They told us beta would be in september during the KS. Then they said if they get enough they'll give us alpha. Later they told us alpha would be in early october. It is now the 21st of october. I'm not saying to do any privilege checking but for fucks sake stop jerking me around.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

signalnoise posted:

They told us beta would be in september during the KS. Then they said if they get enough they'll give us alpha. Later they told us alpha would be in early october. It is now the 21st of october. I'm not saying to do any privilege checking but for fucks sake stop jerking me around.

Alpha did start early October. Just not for everyone. :v:

For real, though, this is how poo poo gets done. Dates get pushed back all the time. That's why they're not announcing dates anymore, because people latch onto them and understandably get angry when they get pushed back.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Blazing Zero posted:

Clearly, CZE needs some privilege checking as well. I mean what gives those blasted developers the right to delay MY ALPHA ACCESS?! My 250 bucks paid for it and I want it now!
:goonsay:

vvv: I know! It's so completely unacceptable for things like real life and unexpected programming challenges to come up! How come CZE didn't have the experience and foresight to see this coming in the production of their first MMO ever? Stop jerking me around and deliver on dates you clearly stated were subject to change! :argh:

Yes, how dare people expect a corporation to keep their word. Of all the things, that is the worst.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Go RV! posted:

For real, though, this is how poo poo gets done. Dates get pushed back all the time. That's why they're not announcing dates anymore, because people latch onto them and understandably get angry when they get pushed back.

Give a date: Everyone yells at you if the slightest setback occurs.
Don't give a date: Everyone assumes the game is vaporware or in development hell.

The only winning move is not to give a poo poo about us nerds play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Neraren posted:

Except for the fact that they promised the other tiers alpha access as well. You wanting the game to be smoother doesn't take priority over letting other people in when they paid to play. Basically check your privilege.

*Sigh*

Was that some kind of troll response? I half-expected someone would say most of that but, with all due respect and apologies, I think you're being silly, sorry, for a few different reasons.

1) It's not that I personally want the game to be smoother; it's that I'm not sure that the game is at a stage where it's gonna be worth that many people's time to play it that much. It's not a full game at this point; it's an alpha. Until a more complete card set comes out and they fix the bugs in existing cards, it's not access to a game, it's access to a demo. A fun demo, sure, but: The game you "paid to play" isn't there yet. What *is* in place is cool and all, but don't get desperately upset because you aren't allowed access to "The Game" yet -- most of the things you want to play with probably aren't even implemented yet anyway, or are broken, or work but don't work well because other cards they interact with aren't implemented yet.

2) Like I said, they probably could add in the other high-level tiers now, but if they start opening the floodgates I'd worry that the venn diagram of (people who lack enough awareness to expect delays in an alpha release) would have significant overlap with (venn diagram of people who are going to fill the internet with horrible negative publicity because they don't realize it's an alpha), and the game would get damned out of the gates by people who don't recognize what the word "Alpha" means.

Blazing Zero posted:

Yeah, this. It's the old chart -- Fast, Cheap, or High-Quality, pick two only. I understand why the delays frustrate people -- I've waited for years and years for games myself -- but I'd rather they take the time to get everything right before the wide release hits.

Go RV! posted:

I've literally lost count of all the MMO's I've played, and with the exception of WoW, there was almost always an inverse correlation between "how delayed is the release" and "is the release even worth playing when it happens." Almost always the sooner something comes out the worse it was, and the longer I ended up waiting the more worthwhile was the wait. That's just how MMO development seems to be. It takes time, and lots more time than you thought it would.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 21, 2013

• Locked thread