Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I managed to craft myself some tungstein tools, but I don't know how to advance further now. What should I try to find after that?

Find gold/platinum if you want the next tier up.

If you REALLY wanna advance, the Eye of Cthulhu and the Eater of Worlds drop demonite ore. Killing a boss is also the trigger for a meteor to land. Meteor/demonite is what you'll need to get into the underworld in order to mine hellstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Minarchist posted:

Find gold/platinum if you want the next tier up.

If you REALLY wanna advance, the Eye of Cthulhu and the Eater of Worlds drop demonite ore. Killing a boss is also the trigger for a meteor to land. Meteor/demonite is what you'll need to get into the underworld in order to mine hellstone.

Killing a boss doesn't trigger meteorites, breaking shadow orbs does. It's easy to farm meteorite at some point without killing bosses as you can roll new worlds to break two orbs and have a pretty good chance of a meteorite the next night.

Although meteorheads can be total bastards early on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fewd posted:

I've gotten every dungeon drop a few times over now except not a single wisp in a bottle or sniper rifle. These loving droprates :suicide:

I got like three rifles, which are no use to me as a magic-based player. :v:

I finally got my wisp though, it's a cutie. :kimchi:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, I think the wisp looks a little creepy. Kind of like a skull that floats around behind you.

Of course, I have two Amber Mosquitos, so :v:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
The wisp is loving awesome and helps you find ores and caves, no spelunker potion needed.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fewd posted:

Killing a boss doesn't trigger meteorites, breaking shadow orbs does. It's easy to farm meteorite at some point without killing bosses as you can roll new worlds to break two orbs and have a pretty good chance of a meteorite the next night.

Although meteorheads can be total bastards early on.

The way I rush to meteors is I go exploring anywhere with chests and bombs in them. Once I have a good pile of bombs and some decent weapon to cut the corruption/crimson monsters I go and bomb two of the cores for meteors to fall. Even one meteor should be enough to get a space gun and meteorite armour done. Of course you'll either need a golden pick or bombs to mine the meteorite. Meteorite armour and space gun should be enough to deal with anything on normal mode except wall of flesh.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Iretep posted:

The way I rush to meteors is I go exploring anywhere with chests and bombs in them. Once I have a good pile of bombs and some decent weapon to cut the corruption/crimson monsters I go and bomb two of the cores for meteors to fall. Even one meteor should be enough to get a space gun and meteorite armour done. Of course you'll either need a golden pick or bombs to mine the meteorite. Meteorite armour and space gun should be enough to deal with anything on normal mode except wall of flesh.

Meteorite armor with a space gun and a hell bridge is actually more than enough to kill the wall of flesh.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Hummingbirds posted:

How'd you kill him?

I doubt it'd be remotely in my skillset but I'm still curious.

e: I love the skeletron head by the way :3:

He used to be really easy to kill -- you only had to take two hits from him with the Turtle Armor set to kill him. Of course Redigit saw that, wagged his finger, went "tsk tsk," and dropped his damage to 1000. Basically you get a bunch of people together, each equipped with the turtle set, place a spawn point right next to where you're going to trigger him, and die a lot.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Hummingbirds posted:

How'd you kill him?

I doubt it'd be remotely in my skillset but I'm still curious.

e: I love the skeletron head by the way :3:

I made an Unreal Megashark (the regular +5% crit prefix works too), crystal bullets, and an ugly mish-mash of hardmode armors for additional crit and then 5 Lucky accessories. I was able to bump up my crit chance to a little under 50%. I also had a Rod of Discord to quickly zip out of the dungeon once I spawned the guardian, and to help move around a bit too. Then just pelt him with the gun for about 3 minutes while staying out of his reach. All of the crit was really important to me, since that's the only way to do 2 damage to him and it pretty much made the fight 1/3 shorter than it had to be, so less time to gently caress up.

Sometimes the pet will just spin on its own, but he'll also spin to catch up if you run too far away from him or use a magic mirror to zip home. It's given me more than a few jump scares where I was busy looking through a chest and then the pet clips through the terrain and spins right into me, just like the dungeon guardian would. :v:

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 15, 2013

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Matrim posted:

Meteorite armor with a space gun and a hell bridge is actually more than enough to kill the wall of flesh.

Well I'm a lazy man and don't build hell bridges. I just used the water bolt and some potions if I remember right.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Cyberventurer posted:

Sometimes the pet will just spin on its own, but he'll also spin to catch up if you run too far away from him or use a magic mirror to zip home. It's given me more than a few jump scares where I was busy looking through a chest and then the pet clips through the terrain and spins right into me, just like the dungeon guardian would. :v:

For me it always seems to spawn 2 heads too. One of them only comes after reloading though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Iretep posted:

Well I'm a lazy man and don't build hell bridges. I just used the water bolt and some potions if I remember right.

Water-walking and Obsidian Skin potions work as well.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cyberventurer posted:

Yeah, I've swung or shot wildly at my baby hornet (and my shadow orb) more times than I care to admit, and I had soemone dashing about madly swinging at my hornet on a multiplayer world, too.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
After some amount of running around in hardmode looting everything not nailed down, one has to make a home. A skullhome. In space.

Running wire from the surface to space is one of the most uncomfortable things you can do in Terraria, I'm sure.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Machai posted:

that's funny, I don't remember Sho ever wearing a mask...

Robot cap - Black Dye
Archaeologist shirt - black dye
Ninja Pants
Golem fist
You now have Sho!

Also, even if you don't build a hellbridge, you at least want to level out a decent area by building holes in some of the buildings, so you don't get wall crushed grappling onto the side of a building.

I just build a bridge. Sure, it's time consuming. But having a level playing field to move on makes the battle a complete joke.

Finally got my terra blade, went down to fight the Golem, and got an enchanted hatchet that homes in on enemies and does more damage. And now that I have my golem eye, I can complete my titan glove up to the lava gauntlet, which boosts my crit and does fire damage for every weapon. So beautiful.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

The Mimic posted:

After some amount of running around in hardmode looting everything not nailed down, one has to make a home. A skullhome. In space.

Running wire from the surface to space is one of the most uncomfortable things you can do in Terraria, I'm sure.

How does the sky dragon not spawn and screw with you every few minutes?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Mimic posted:

Wires can be placed in midair, so this isn't that bad if you have accessories for flight and knockback immunity; did it myself just earlier today.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 15, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Renzuko posted:

How does the sky dragon not spawn and screw with you every few minutes?

I think that was finally fixed. If I am inside my sky pyramid, the wyvern never pops (even at the very top). However if I am at the peak of the outside of the pyramid, it'll sometimes show up.

I'll always maintain my seething hatred of wyverns but at least they don't spawn while you are inside your home anymore.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, even if you don't build a hellbridge, you at least want to level out a decent area by building holes in some of the buildings, so you don't get wall crushed grappling onto the side of a building.

I just build a bridge. Sure, it's time consuming. But having a level playing field to move on makes the battle a complete joke.

Besides, by the time you finish a hellevator you generally have a couple thousand dirt and stone that would just clutter up your chests.

Meanwhile, holy butt, I cannot beat any hardmode boss. I was preparing to challenge the Destroyer, since one of the interminable enemies in my hardcore blood moon/eclipse swarms dropped a worm. I had a set of buff potions available and was just tooling around my hardmode world when Skeletron Prime spawned. I chugged my buffs and started making GBS threads arrows everywhere. Didn't do jack, died pretty quickly. Figured, why not try the destroyer now? I was in the mindset, after all. Healed up, used the worm, chugged my buffs, shat arrows everywhere again.

Did something vaguely resembling jack. Died anyway, didn't even knock off like an eighth of his HP.

Hell, I can barely beat regular hardmode enemies. Due to poor planning, access to my hellevator requires a mad scramble across corruption, but at least I can farm the Wall of Flesh if I get there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jackard posted:

Wires can be placed in midair, so this isn't that bad if you have accessories for flight and knockback immunity; did it myself just earlier today.

Is there anything you CAN'T put wire on? Maybe lava?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RatHat posted:

Wire's caveat isn't that it has limitations on where you can place it, but on how much of it you can put in a single circuit. The cap is 2000, so if you want to make a teleporter between your home base and the dungeon, you'll have your work cut out for you.

v Oh, clever. Too bad it still won't help you find the Jungle dungeon :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 15, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

RatHat posted:

Wire is on a different 'layer,' so to speak, so it can be placed anywhere.

Huh I've just come up with a idea for getting into a jungle temple without a key: wire some actuators to a wall and flip a switch. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

Wire is on a different 'layer,' so to speak, so it can be placed anywhere.

Huh I've just come up with a idea for getting into a jungle temple without a key: wire some actuators to a wall and flip a switch. :v:
That was fixed, I believe.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think you can still teleport through though.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Dareon posted:

Besides, by the time you finish a hellevator you generally have a couple thousand dirt and stone that would just clutter up your chests.

Meanwhile, holy butt, I cannot beat any hardmode boss. I was preparing to challenge the Destroyer, since one of the interminable enemies in my hardcore blood moon/eclipse swarms dropped a worm. I had a set of buff potions available and was just tooling around my hardmode world when Skeletron Prime spawned. I chugged my buffs and started making GBS threads arrows everywhere. Didn't do jack, died pretty quickly. Figured, why not try the destroyer now? I was in the mindset, after all. Healed up, used the worm, chugged my buffs, shat arrows everywhere again.

Did something vaguely resembling jack. Died anyway, didn't even knock off like an eighth of his HP.

Hell, I can barely beat regular hardmode enemies. Due to poor planning, access to my hellevator requires a mad scramble across corruption, but at least I can farm the Wall of Flesh if I get there.

For Destroyer you basically want weapons that can pierce enemies, Golden Shower is extremely good for this and is (Relatively) easy to get.

I managed to kill Destroyer like five times in one night with just titanium melee armour and a mana flower using it against him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the Titanium set bonus as awesome as it looks?

IMO full mithril / orichalchum is good enough for the Destroyer if you have a decent weapon. Tons of hearts drop during that fight making it relatively easy to keep your health high.
A good repeater with Jester arrows (gather those stars!) is a good start for the Destroyer, or a CAR with crystal bullets.

Your best bet for early-hardmode weapons involves exploring the underground Hallow, IMO. Crystal shards allow you to make the Phasesaber (a kickass sword) and the Crystal Storm (a badass machinegun spell).

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
After a system upgrade (new cpu/gpu) my terraria seems to run extremely slow and with some random stop. Tried the old fix with the fps limiter and while it makes the game run really well the stops become longer and cause me to drop from the sky while flying etc. Any idea how to get this working properly again? Moving to ssd didn't remove the problem either.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Here's an easy way to kill the dungeon guardian solo, but you'll need to have finished the lihzard temple first:
Build a long runway near the depth where he comes to get you, and place a teleporter on each end. Put the switches for both teleporters on the same side so you won't have to move your mouse to warp, only right click. A missed click is death. Line the ceiling of the middle of the runway with spiky ball traps all on a 1-second timer. Put a protective wall on either side next to the teleporters so the spiky balls don't roll from the middle onto your teleporter pads.
Now lure the dungeon guardian (hopefully you'll only pull one) to the runway, and as soon as he almost reaches you, teleport. He'll then roll down the runway, smacking into all the spiky balls on the way. As soon as he almost reaches you on the other side, teleport again. You can just keep him rolling back and forth through infinite spiky balls forever, until he dies. Each ball will only do 1 damage (2 on a crit) so even though he takes a lot at once, he'll take a while to go down.
It's important to build the runway at a good length. Too short and you'll be teleporting about once a second just to stay alive. Too long and the teleport will bring you so far away the guardian will despawn.

To speed this up, wear turtle armor with a master ninja gear / black belt accessory. Take one hit from the guardian before your first teleport. Most of the time this will kill you (so set your spawn point nearby) but once you get lucky you'll do a huge chunk of his health at once and the following teleport sequence will take only about half as long.
To speed it up even more, try changing into full frost armor between teleports, when you have time. Even traps inflict frostburn.

You can build the killing tunnel aboveground, which won't take so long, but as I said if you ever get too far from the dungeon guardian he'll despawn, so you'll need a series of like two or three teleporters just to get you to the surface so you never travel too far in one movement. Teleport halfway up, wait for him to catch up, teleport again, and you'll be at your death tunnel, then start teleporting as above.

Brief version: Build a trapped tunnel for the guardian, teleport back and forth while he rolls around in traps, and your patience will be rewarded. Eventually.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Vib Rib posted:

Here's an easy way to kill the dungeon guardian solo, but you'll need to have finished the lihzard temple first:
Build a long runway near the depth where he comes to get you, and place a teleporter on each end. Put the switches for both teleporters on the same side so you won't have to move your mouse to warp, only right click. A missed click is death. Line the ceiling of the middle of the runway with spiky ball traps all on a 1-second timer. Put a protective wall on either side next to the teleporters so the spiky balls don't roll from the middle onto your teleporter pads.
Now lure the dungeon guardian (hopefully you'll only pull one) to the runway, and as soon as he almost reaches you, teleport. He'll then roll down the runway, smacking into all the spiky balls on the way. As soon as he almost reaches you on the other side, teleport again. You can just keep him rolling back and forth through infinite spiky balls forever, until he dies. Each ball will only do 1 damage (2 on a crit) so even though he takes a lot at once, he'll take a while to go down.
It's important to build the runway at a good length. Too short and you'll be teleporting about once a second just to stay alive. Too long and the teleport will bring you so far away the guardian will despawn.

To speed this up, wear turtle armor with a master ninja gear / black belt accessory. Take one hit from the guardian before your first teleport. Most of the time this will kill you (so set your spawn point nearby) but once you get lucky you'll do a huge chunk of his health at once and the following teleport sequence will take only about half as long.
To speed it up even more, try changing into full frost armor between teleports, when you have time. Even traps inflict frostburn.

You can build the killing tunnel aboveground, which won't take so long, but as I said if you ever get too far from the dungeon guardian he'll despawn, so you'll need a series of like two or three teleporters just to get you to the surface so you never travel too far in one movement. Teleport halfway up, wait for him to catch up, teleport again, and you'll be at your death tunnel, then start teleporting as above.

Brief version: Build a trapped tunnel for the guardian, teleport back and forth while he rolls around in traps, and your patience will be rewarded. Eventually.
Could you speed this up with the flame traps?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Any enemy can only take so many hits per second. Unless the flame trap can do enough damage to get past his insane defense, which I doubt, I don't think it would go any faster.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
I was reading about the Hardcore mode and it seems like when you die you just drop everything on the spot. Is there a true permadeath mode where you get one shot and dying means you lose everything (world included even)?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Hactar posted:

I was reading about the Hardcore mode and it seems like when you die you just drop everything on the spot. Is there a true permadeath mode where you get one shot and dying means you lose everything (world included even)?

World and character are separate so no, you don't lose a world. But for character there is permadeath. Difficulty is selected on the character creation screen.

e:
To elaborate, there are three difficulties if I remember right.
On easiest you drop your cash when you die.
On the middle option you also drop your gear.
On the hardest it's permadeath.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

If you're playing hardcore in single-player, you lose all your items on death because they despawn when you're forced to exit.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

rodney mullenkamp posted:

If you're playing hardcore in single-player, you lose all your items on death because they despawn when you're forced to exit.

Thought it deletes your character too? Guess it's not "completely" permadeath then as you get to keep a character with maxed health for example.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Fewd posted:

Thought it deletes your character too? Guess it's not "completely" permadeath then as you get to keep a character with maxed health for example.

You become a ghost who can't do anything except flying around aimlessly.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I can't stop making these Metroid doors.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Ah, yeah of course. Good point. Still though, it would be nice to have a full hardcore mode which is locked into a single world tied to that character.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Some dumb idiot posted:

For Destroyer you basically want weapons that can pierce enemies, Golden Shower is extremely good for this and is (Relatively) easy to get.

I managed to kill Destroyer like five times in one night with just titanium melee armour and a mana flower using it against him.

For melee builds, a flail like the Dao of Pow or a spear/piercing weapon like the Gungnir/Paladin's Hammer can make short work of the Destroyer, as well. For ranged builds, a fast-shooting weapon (Shark, Clockwork Assault Rifle, Repeater) with lots of crystal bullets, meteor bullets or unholy arrows.

For magic, if you don't have Golden Shower (Or a crimson biome to get it), see about fighting Skeletron until you get the Flaming Skull magic, which does good damage and pierces, or the vilethorn/mushroom spear. Also, go with what the quote says and get a mana flower, and see about throwing in magic cuffs, as well.

Also, if you can, set up a long lateral space. If you can expose more of Destroyer to the surface, you can do more damage per shot. I usually 'bridge' the wide cave in the corruption, set it up with torches, and use that as my arena with fairly little difficulty.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fewd posted:

World and character are separate so no, you don't lose a world. But for character there is permadeath. Difficulty is selected on the character creation screen.

e:
To elaborate, there are three difficulties if I remember right.
On easiest you drop your cash when you die.
On the middle option you also drop your gear.
On the hardest it's permadeath.

On normal you drop half your money, not all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

For magic, if you don't have Golden Shower (Or a crimson biome to get it), see about fighting Skeletron until you get the Flaming Skull magic, which does good damage and pierces, or the vilethorn/mushroom spear. Also, go with what the quote says and get a mana flower, and see about throwing in magic cuffs, as well.

Mushroom spear is melee, not magic. But it is really ridiculously good weapon and trivial to get. In my opinion it's the best multiple-hit piercing melee weapon and all you have to do to get it is build a small artificial shroom biome and buy it.

Chlorophyte spear is nice too but I like shroom spears distance better.

• Locked thread