Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Tropers just don't really get writing.

"Show" a sentence that the poster above "tells"

What do tropers think 'show don't tell' means?

quote:

Example: "The day was sunny"

turns into

"It was midday and the warm sun streaks shone brightly".
They think it means 'use more words'.

quote:

For reference, I didn't write this. It's actually from an online comic, but it was too good to pass up. ^^ Also, it's a bit different from the presented sentence, because it's in conversation rather than presented as a description, but I feel it still fits pretty well. ^^

Someone is utterly evil.

"You're a malevolent one. Your words and energy are venomous like the bite of a cobra."

"Your lifeforce is the nastiest, darkest mess I've ever seen. Kind hearted people like Luk are just easy prey for you."
They think it means 'use dialogue that would make Square Enix's localization team feel uncomfortable'.

quote:

quote:

David felt something snap inside of him.

There is only so much one man can take. Being ambushed by atomic masked luchadores on the way to work was one thing. Fleeing from a city under attack by a giant monster that looked like it had stepped out of a Showa era kaiju movie, that was another. Attacked by a homicidal zombie clown? That was a third. These were all things David could take in stride. But this...

"I'm... sorry, sir, but we don't have any more creamer..."

"... qrhbvlaehbvnahebnvlqeihbvnareBHFLVARUHBCF LFIHERYBV WHQERV CLBQIJR DVLEHCV LWEQHBRNVHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" David gargled at the barista in his anger.
They think it means 'monkeycheese slap your keyboard'.

Okay, maybe I'm being rough on tropers. These are just writing exercises. Let's take a look at the first lines from things they've finished worked on. Everyone knows your first line needs to capture the reader's attention.

quote:

From The Cherry Contract

"Let’s see here…if I arrange the regents like this…wait, did I do it wrong? Oh, I think I made a mistake here. I think I might be able to save it. Hmm…"

Yeah, I guess it's far more mundane than most examples here.
:effort:

quote:

“One last group of Wolkenritter. You're closest.” Hayate told Signum. “The area is temporarily blind to teleport, probably because of their ripper. Buy some time.”
ugh

quote:

Pardon the all-caps, but that's the way it was originally written, to be part of a comic strip to introduce a tongue-in-cheek RPG.

CHAOS ERUPTED IN THE SUPERMARKET AS THE HOODS OPENED UP. THE UZI CREATED A SEA OF OATS OUT OF THE CHERIOS DISPLAY WHILE THE MAC-11 SENT BITS OF COLE SLAW FLYING FROM THE CABBAGE RACK. THE GROCERY CLERK TOOK A STRAY BLAST FROM THE FULL CHOKE 12 GUAGE RIGHT ON THE DIAL, TURNING HIS HEAD AND ARM FULL OF VEGETABLES INTO A SPRAY OF HEMOGLOBIN SALSA. AS JOHN GLANCED DOWN , HE NOTICED THAT THE CONTOURS OF HER RIPE MELONS WERE PULLED TIGHT AGAINST THE SCANT COVERING OF THE SHOPPING BAG.

SECRET AGENT JOHN BONDAGE ASSESSED THE SITUATION. THINGS WEREN'T LOOKING THAT BAD. HE HAD THE GIRL, HALF A DECK OF SMOKES AND TWO MAGS FOR HIS DESERT EAGLE NIFTY FIFTY. WITH A LITTLE LUCK, THEY WOULD STILL MAKE THEIR RESERVATIONS FOR LOBSTER AT SEVEN
ughhhh

quote:

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night, 50 years later in a place with no weather nor nights yet another day began. This was Sano's 8000th day and he had no recollection of day #7999. He didn't know that yet, nor did he know that someone had colored his hair pink and a matching miniskirt was hanging from the ceiling fan. He was still sleeping, dreaming about Earth and a dark stormy night just like those he had seen in the movies, just like the ones in the beginning of poorly written stories with run-on sentences, stories with stuff like haunted houses, screaming maids, slamming doors, pirate ships and a child that might or might not be growing up in Kansas anymore, possibly due to the weather.
oh my god gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

EKDS5k posted:

It's not like it was written by anyone who speaks any Japanese. Also the last syllable looks more like a "so" than a "n," so arguably it's Tsuropu Taso.

What the hell is "tan" anyway? It's not any honouriffic or diminuative that I've ever heard, and it doesn't sound like any common girls' names.

-tan is a child's mispronunciation of -san. It's supposed to be a cute baby talk honorific. Tropers would never want to talk like adults in Japan, obviously.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

To be fair to tropers, Futaba Channel started it.

Or as they would say, EverythingsBetterInJapan OlderThanTheyThink BilingualBonus lampshaded GratuitousJapanese justified YouKeepUsingThatWord inverted EaglelandOsmosis

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Smoking Crow posted:

-tan is a child's mispronunciation of -san. It's supposed to be a cute baby talk honorific. Tropers would never want to talk like adults in Japan, obviously.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard a white guy say in Japanese, and I once knew a guy who referred to his bike as a "mama cherry."

Also why is it in katakana then, and not hiragana? Oh yeah, troopers are idiots and don't know a thing about Japanese.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
A Troper needs some help with writing!

quote:

I'm currently mulling over this one story concept of mind about misanthropic mind reader( I know, not the the most orignal concept)who gradually comes to better understand humanity by exploring the human conflicts that surround him.

Obviously this concept hinges on the main character being likable from the start, and I'm having trouble thinking how such an extreme misanthrope can become likable. I'm also wondering how to avoid character wangst and darkness-induced apathy.

And thoughts?

There are some suggestions:

quote:

Make him funny. Well, then I'm pretty much ripping off Daria though.

quote:

Some people on here seem to have such Small Reference Pools when it comes to fiction. There's probably literally hundreds of fictional misanthropes out there, the majority of them very different. I've never seen Daria and don't expect I ever will, so how likely am I to accuse you of "plagiarizing" it?

There's probably a hundred misanthropes in fiction. But maybe fewer I guess.

Then he posted his idea in more detail:

quote:

Well, I do have something of a character in mind: As a kid he was extremly introverted and didn't spend much time in the company of others. He didn't develop much in the way of social skills, he often misinterpreted social ques and was generally very awkward in social situations. He spent much of his time observing other people, eavesdropping on conversations, making up stories in his mind for why people acted like they did.

Eventually he prays to God and asks for the ability to understand other people, the next day he gains the power to read minds. He is shocked how deceitful, manipulative, and hateful everyone's private thoughts are, and is disgusted by their violent and sexual fantasies. By the time he becomes an adult he's learned to hate everyone, but deep down inside he still desires to understand people.

He is obsessed with idealistic Heroic Fantasy media, escaping into a world where pure, righteous people exist. I was also thinking he'd be comically prudish after being exposed to the sexual fantasies of everyone else, even the tamest sexual act causes him to gag.

Well that pretty much all I have about the character up to this point. Does this seem sympathetic?

Jesus Christ

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Yes, we get it. Also, why do you have so many tropes about defecating you loving perverts?

It's at least fitting here- Swift did have a bit of a scatological obsession.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Djeser posted:

What do tropers think 'show don't tell' means?

They think it means 'use more words'.

They think it means 'use dialogue that would make Square Enix's localization team feel uncomfortable'.
I couldn't resist giving these a shot myself. I won't pretend they're my best work, but here goes:

The day was sunny.

The day was sunny. Jo gazed across the valley and felt the sweat roll off her face.

Someone is utterly evil.

He pushed the knife in. "That was such a beautiful scream. A pity no one else could hear it."

David felt something snap inside him.

David felt something snap inside him. He dropped to his knees. The force of the kick in front and the collision with the wall in back left him wheezing, clutching his stomach in pain. His ribs were definitely broken now.

You know, I'm not sure that last one was what the original Tropers had in mind.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

crowfeathers posted:

Then he posted his idea in more detail:

Jesus Christ
I actually like the idea of someone with autism or Asperger's syndrome who becomes a mind-reader, but I can't say that I want the narrative itself to have the same condition. Jesus Christ indeed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Djeser posted:

It may be the least malformed thing there, but I'm still sort of in love with how bad the sentence "It was midday and the warm sun streaks shone brightly" is. What the gently caress is a sun streak?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Antivehicular posted:

What the gently caress is a sun streak?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

Antivehicular posted:

What the gently caress is a sun streak?

I just refer to it as "the sunlight" or a "ray" or "beam" if I want to be specific, but those sound too obvious. I want to give my readers some credit and let them use their imaginations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I stand corrected! I don't think I've ever heard the phrase before, but I can see how you'd call those sun streaks. I guess for penance I'll think a while about that weird autistic-misanthropic-psychic story concept.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

You know you've been around the videogame industry too long if you only call 'em "god rays."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Hmmm, how can I show that it's a sunny day? I know; I'll invoke a phenomenon produced by cloud cover!"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I actually like the idea of someone with autism or Asperger's syndrome who becomes a mind-reader, but I can't say that I want the narrative itself to have the same condition. Jesus Christ indeed.

Say what you will about it but at least it is a self-insert that isn't blatant wish fulfillment. The character sounds pretty interesting to me, and it is somewhat telling that he hasn't used trope names once. I wonder if those two are connected.

Probably one of the better troper projects.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A weird misanthropic loner that constantly judges everyone around him and is obsessed with being a hero with psychic powers doesn't sound like a self insert wish fulfillment to you?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Heath posted:

A weird misanthropic loner that constantly judges everyone around him and is obsessed with being a hero with psychic powers doesn't sound like a self insert wish fulfillment to you?

Its a self-insert, but not wish fulfillment. To be wish fulfillment he would be the hero and everyone around him would be wrong and should just accept his interpretation of events and bow down to his superior, rational intellect rather than live by their own weird emotions that make no sense. At least as presented it is shown that the character grows to accept the world around him, not the other way around. What kind of wish fulfillment is "And then I realize that I am a pathetic loner and work with my newly acquired power to become a productive member of society"?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
"Hey mom, I wrote this cool story. It's called Knight of Lolicon. What does that mean? It means I wanna gently caress little kids, haha. Hope you enjoy reading it :)"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Fine, you fuckers, you forced me to look at yet another TVT thread out of curiosity and "It's bad, but just how bad could it actually be?"

Knight of Lolicon posted:

A Mega Crossover Fanfiction by maestrodelvuelo. The original Spanish [Not even starting in English/Japanese? See? TVT can be diverse!] version can be found here.
[...]
As the lass has lost her memory (prior to her encounter with Mike) the boy names her 'Linda' (Spanish for 'pretty') [So you've lost your memory and are defenseless? Better sexualize you right away before I lose my chance!] and takes her in to his house.
[...]
Mike makes a pact with the resident Mentor Mascot: 'Shonenji, Genderiel of Shonen' [Gotta work in those Japanese names! :v:] in exchange for power to help Linda... and now he has to find all Genderiels [WTF are those? This synopsis tells me nothing] and restore their goddess: the Goddess of Lolicon, [We worship prepubescent loving!] in the off chance that she has the way to return them home. [Let's help them worship their goddess of prepubescent loving on the off chance we can get back to the real world!] Along the way, a rival appears: the evil Lord Xig-Lem, who thinks about lolis as just sex dolls, and his helper: a corrupted Genderiel called Shojonoe.

This story has a English version by the name of Tales of Toons: Rorikon no Kishi, thanks to STORM and ROC. [Originally Spanish, English translation, Japanese title? What, was "Tales of Toons: Pedophile Knight" already taken?]

As of 4/18/2011 the fanfic has spawned a sort of sequel: Tales of Toons: The Movie. Shorter than the original, gives insight and some character development to the antagonist and uses a new female heroine. Only available in Spanish, the author's trying to avert No Export for You by asking for translation help. [EVERYTHING is a trope!]

I... I'm not even going to read any farther than this, since I'm sure I'd end up posting the entire page here and have already done enough to sully the SA servers with that quote

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 15, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure it was determined at one point that the author wasn't really aware of what "loli" or "lolicon" meant, and some tropers have stated themselves that it's a very surreal, nonsensical story, so it's probably just an utterly clueless writer.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 26, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ArchangeI posted:

Say what you will about it but at least it is a self-insert that isn't blatant wish fulfillment. The character sounds pretty interesting to me, and it is somewhat telling that he hasn't used trope names once. I wonder if those two are connected.

Probably one of the better troper projects.
There's just no self-awareness to it at all. It would be one thing if it acknowledged the obvious pathology of the character's situation, but it's ostensibly an attempt to make the character more sympathetic. "I'm afraid that people won't like such a misanthropic character, but I could make this work if I just write him as a creepy, fantasy-obsessed weirdo who eavesdrops on people!" No thanks.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Question – what is so bad about “world building?”

I’ve been trying to pen a novel for the past few months. I have the plot outlined, I have the few chapters written, and the more important scenes that come later in the story are fleshed out for when I get to them. It does involves a supernatural element (without going into detail, it’s Hatfields vs. McCoys in modern day North Carolina, but with magic and witchcraft), so I came up with the “rules” for magic, along with a history for both families and the small town this all takes place in.

So I have engaged in “world building,” but doing so helped me set a road map for my story and has made it easier to write without feeling lost or like I’m writing in circles. Is that a bad thing?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Calling him a misanthrophe and recognizing that fantasy worlds are escapism seems fairly self-aware to me (compared to the usual "Why don't people just make sense?"), but whatever.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does your world-building support your story, or the other way around? Because if it's the latter (and if you're not Tolkien) you should stop.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
See, there's nothing wrong with that and I think it's actually an important part of the process in its own right. The bad thing comes when you have a situation like tropers (and a lot of people trying to do fantasy, honestly) get stuck in, when it becomes all about the worldbuilding and they never do any actual writing either due to losing interest/forgetting the story's about the characters and not the setting, or getting too caught up in every little detail having to be just right.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CobiWann posted:

I’ve been trying to pen a novel for the past few months. I have the plot outlined, I have the few chapters written, and the more important scenes that come later in the story are fleshed out for when I get to them. It does involves a supernatural element (without going into detail, it’s Hatfields vs. McCoys in modern day North Carolina, but with magic and witchcraft), so I came up with the “rules” for magic, along with a history for both families and the small town this all takes place in.

So I have engaged in “world building,” but doing so helped me set a road map for my story and has made it easier to write without feeling lost or like I’m writing in circles. Is that a bad thing?

World building isn't bad purely because it's world building. The problem is that a lot of fantasy and sci fi fans think that it's a replacement for actual writing, as if once you have created the setting in sufficient detail the stories will spring full formed from it without any further assistance. It can be useful for laying groundwork and ensuring internal consistency, but at some point you have to put away the maps and actually write your drat story.

There's also the fact that a lot of world builders get so caught up with their works that they treat it like valuable China, and refuse to change it even when it is impeding the story they want to write.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CobiWann posted:

Are you going to sell this to the people at TV Tropes because this sounds like something they will eat up. How many characters wear trenchcoats?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Guys it's coming from inside the thre-:suicide:

For real though, nobody said worldbuilding was bad, it's necessary for some genres and it can improve a story if it's done well. You need to have a story for that to happen though, which is what tropers don't get, and if the plot and characters aren't good then worldbuilding isn't going to do poo poo.

That, and most examples of worldbuilding (actually that's just an irritating loving word) we see in this thread are of the "American military worship MEETS nonsensical bullshit MEETS impractical horseshit MEETS animeeeee MEETS my weirdly specific fetish!" variety.

e:Screw it, this comic sums it up best.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 15, 2013

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

People basically read that Tolkien built an amazing world without pausing to learn that Tolkien is complete goddamn accident. They think his obsession with world building is why his books are good, and that is a part of it, but not the whole part. I am a huge Tolkien nerd and love his poo poo but he was a bad writer who somehow kept mistakenly writing good stuff.

Tolkien is like Frank Drebbin from the Naked Gun movies. He is in completely over his head and makes the wrong decision every time but somehow the end result is a success and people who did not see the process assume he is a complete genius.

Edit: This is basically a metaphor of Tolkien's writing process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-S-eeInJVk

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 15, 2013

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are you going to sell this to the people at TV Tropes because this sounds like something they will eat up. How many characters wear trenchcoats?

Are you trying to get me to stop writing? Now I'm going to be like "it's raining, he should grab a trenchcoAW SON OF A BITCH!" Or "the waitress should be a bit surly to hiCHRIST SHE WANTS THE D!"

But seriously, thanks for explaining the difference. It's a bit scary to wander into this thread as an aspiring writer sometimes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

People basically read that Tolkien built an amazing world without pausing to learn that Tolkien is complete goddamn accident.

(More stuff along that line)

"Tolkien is a bad writer who only turned out anything good completely by accident" is a pretty big claim, why do you think that's the case?

And to avoid a derail, a lot of good writing advice boils down to "just loving write" because if you never actually do any writing not only will nothing get done, you'll never learn or improve the craft. Tropers need that hammered into them.

Or maybe not, given we've seen what happens when they do just loving write.

Edit: And then I see a metaphorical video is edited in while I was posting. Darn.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

"Tolkien is a bad writer who only turned out anything good completely by accident" is a pretty big claim, why do you think that's the case?

He wrote by starting at the beginning, writing until he reached an impasse where he got stuck, and then started completely over again. He did not plan out LOTR from the beginning at all, and kept rewriting the book like waves moving up the shore. This is why it takes 100 pages to get from the preparations for the Party to Frodo even leaving the Shire, and then something like 100 more pages just to reach Rivendell. The book is amazingly dense in what should be setup, and is full of fluff that adds nothing to the story really, like Tom Bombadil, The Barrow-Downs, establishing the fake house for Frodo which is then immediately abandoned, etc etc. Later, Tolkien starts writing at a breakneck pace where Aragorn gets from Helms Deep to Minas Tirith in like 40 pages, the entire siege of Minas Tirith happens in that same time frame as well.

That is pretty bad writing, and poor planning. However it creates a flow to the story where things move more quickly as the urgency and importance of the events also grows. It ends up working, if you enjoy his writing style at least.

Another terrible choice is splitting the stories of Frodo and Sam up from the rest of the fellowship, for like 150-200 pages at a time. For the first time reader you can drat near forget who is who in that time. You also travel a month ahead in the timeline and then jump all the way back. However this works because it creates more tension in the story of Frodo and Sam because the book takes you all the way to the black gate without you knowing what happened to them. When the mouth of sauron tosses Aragorn Frodo's mail, the reader genuinely think Frodo has to have been captured and killed.

There are also a million other nitpicks that msot real writers would probably immediately say are bad ideas. Characters that are introduced for a whole page that are then never seen again, refrences to deities that are never explained, poems in a language the reader cannot understand, etc etc. However, somehow it all comes together and make a story that is very enjoyable to people who like that kind of thing.

Oh my god I just wrote all of this poo poo I am so bored at work today. Is anyone hiring?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

WoodrowSkillson posted:

refrences to deities that are never explained, poems in a language the reader cannot understand
I would argue that these are actually positive elements; they flesh out the setting and give it a mystery and foreign-ness that adds greatly to the book's atmosphere. Of course, things like this have been appropriated by hacks who use mindless namedropping as a substitute for actual detail, but Tolkien actually devised an entire world and history behind the scenes that backs up his little references. Knowing that a passing mention of "the immortal Silmarils" has thought, work, and substance behind it, even if it's never seen in the book, gives it impact beyond what it would ordinarily possess. The greatest strength of The Lord of the Rings is that it wasn't written for its own sake, but to be a window into a much larger world that Tolkien created for himself; I can't think of another book that does anything comparable.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I'm work posting in between working on an inventory issue so I may have been unclear. I agree that these ideas end up positive, but if it was a troper explaining their story, we would all mock those ideas. Divorced from the whole they seem really unwise if not straight up wrong.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The main trap aspiring writers (especially tropers) fall into when world building is that they get too attached to their fictional world. They plot out a complex setting with its own history but have trouble distancing themselves from the setting to see if it's something that's actually interesting to read about. Especially when they really go against show, don't tell and just drop loads and loads of unimportant minutiae in the form of an infodump (aka the stuff the an editor would take an axe to).

Well, that and they can get so focused on building their fictional setting that they can forget to insert characters that aren't boring. But that's an entirely different problem right there.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Worldbuilding is really fun. However, like a lot of fun things, it is really difficult to get right. A bit like cooking: you can have a great deal of fun throwing ingredients into pans, frying and boiling and baking, but if you're just putting in anything without much attention, you're probably not going to end up with something edible.

If you want to extend the cooking metaphor, since it's a rather good one, then good worldbuilding is like the finest cuisine. In the kitchens it's frantic and a whirlwind of activity, but when the plate comes out it's artistically arranged and has nothing to signify that behind the scenes there is a huge team meticulously working their given jobs.

The reader does not need vast wikipedia-style infodumps so they can be aware just how much effort you put into coming up with some aspect of the world. They don't need walking exposition machines to say things like "This could be the biggest conflict seen on this continent since the Jolly Awful War back in 1844 to 1849." Especially not if someone then adds in "Good thing you specified this continent, as the Especially Large War (1876 to 1891) could be considered much larger, but took place on a different continent."

Readers like a slow drip-feed of information in between the important parts: the narrative itself. Tropers don't get this, because they're operating under the delusion that what they're creating with their tepid worldbuilding is just so interesting people are going to want to hear all about it.

And I say it's tepid because tropers are generally stuck in the mindset that worldbuilding requires you to go "full Tolkein" and talk about ancient wars and kings and big sweeping events that change the course of human events. Also elves. Or space-elves.

If you look at any troper's worldbuilding I will guarantee you it will be 90% about the kind of poo poo you hear about in video game backstories. Grand, sweeping stuff that can basically be summed up as "there was some serious beef, they fought it out, poo poo's still iffy".

Go find some troper-grade writer doing "worldbuilding" about a fantasy world and if it doesn't use "gold coins" as the principle means of currency, I'll be surprised. Money is literally one of the greatest driving forces in human history, but in troperland it'd be too dang difficult to cover an interesting topic like that. Far easier to talk about big dramatic wars where big armies of armoured douchebags slam into each other repeatedly until someone manages to win.

And they're never wars about actual human topics either. Nobody in troper stories ever seems to go to war to install a puppet government, or to avenge a slight against them, or kill a bunch of stupid birds. It's all fate-of-the-world, evil-guy-raises-evil-army, aliens-invading-for-no-reason poo poo.

Honestly the principle reason tropers love worldbuilding, and the reason they're so loving bad at it, is because it allows them to throw tropes together without worrying about that pesky narrative. Since there's no actual writing going on, they can just sit back and post post post on the forums about how many lovely loving tropes they're packing into their "upcoming project".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Speaking of writing,

quote:

Yeah, doesn’t she hang with that dork who thinks the government is run by ghouls or something? Maybe he's using her to fight fire with fire.

~A minor peripheral character only there to show my protagonist's All of the Other Reindeer status. I kind of feel like that line is a little too good for a minor character, but eh, whatever.

quote:

I was walking down a road of flames, barefoot. I was looking for the coolest spot, naturally, trying not to let the mud on my feet dry up too fast. The coals beneath my feet seemed to stretch on for miles in all directions, but there had to be an end to it somewhere. God forbid it end up in a men’s sauna. Unless it had Leon in it. Not that there was much time to think about that since the coals were suddenly turning into ninjas, all equipped with Fifi-repellant ninja spray. I countered by giving them an innocently flirtatious pose, causing watermelon juice to rain down and dissolve all of them into platypi. Three of them rubbed against my feet and that was when I finally woke up, got dressed, and went to school.

~My idea of a proper Dream Sequence. Believe it or not, there is some actual foreshadowing in there, though even if you know the context, the metaphors are still probably a little obtuse. Even I have a hard time making the mental leap from one concept to another.

This guy didn't explain his:

quote:

Ugh, this was only the second day I’d known him and I was already walking around in what looked like a Tex Avery cartoon filled with two-dimensional space-age vehicles that looked like cuckoo clocks on wheels and buildings that roared at you. Men really were a mystery.

:suicide:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm work posting in between working on an inventory issue so I may have been unclear. I agree that these ideas end up positive, but if it was a troper explaining their story, we would all mock those ideas. Divorced from the whole they seem really unwise if not straight up wrong.

Sure, on paper, phrased like that, it doesn't sound great at all, but in the case of something actually written and not a troper work, execution is what carries the day, not just the raw elements of what happens. If someone is capable of taking all that and turning it into something that actually works, I don't think you can say they're a bad writer/not a "real" writer, because a horrible writer wouldn't've managed that at all. I think this line of talk actually illustrates one of the problems we keep bringing up with TV Tropes, which is that their site pretty much butchers the works they talk about (when they talk about any work actually worth talking about at least) by completely divorcing the nitty gritty from the stuff that makes them actually work.

I can't really disagree that the pacing at the start was kind of terrible, though.

Edit: Goddamn it, I post too slow.

(Also, to be really nitpicky, the Bombadil/Barrow Downs stuff was actually really important. The latter moreso than the former, but still.)

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 15, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Sure, on paper, phrased like that, it doesn't sound great at all, but in the case of something actually written and not a troper work, execution is what carries the day, not just the raw elements of what happens. If someone is capable of taking all that and turning it into something that actually works, I don't think you can say they're a bad writer/not a "real" writer, because a horrible writer wouldn't've managed that at all. I think this line of talk actually illustrates one of the problems we keep bringing up with TV Tropes, which is that their site pretty much butchers the works they talk about (when they talk about any work actually worth talking about at least) by completely divorcing the nitty gritty from the stuff that makes them actually work.

I can't really disagree that the pacing at the start was kind of terrible, though.

Edit Goddamn it, I post too slow.

I think the perfect example of this is Lolita. When Nabokov writes a story about a protagonist that's a pedophile, it's called brilliant since among other things, Nabokov could play the English language like a fiddle. But when a troper writes a story like that, it's unreadable garbage for a large variety of reasons.

And tropers don't see the difference between the two because hey, both stories have the same type of protagonist therefore they have similar tropes therefore they're basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

Readers like a slow drip-feed of information in between the important parts: the narrative itself. Tropers don't get this, because they're operating under the delusion that what they're creating with their tepid worldbuilding is just so interesting people are going to want to hear all about it.

And I say it's tepid because tropers are generally stuck in the mindset that worldbuilding requires you to go "full Tolkein" and talk about ancient wars and kings and big sweeping events that change the course of human events. Also elves. Or space-elves.

If you look at any troper's worldbuilding I will guarantee you it will be 90% about the kind of poo poo you hear about in video game backstories. Grand, sweeping stuff that can basically be summed up as "there was some serious beef, they fought it out, poo poo's still iffy".

Go find some troper-grade writer doing "worldbuilding" about a fantasy world and if it doesn't use "gold coins" as the principle means of currency, I'll be surprised. Money is literally one of the greatest driving forces in human history, but in troperland it'd be too dang difficult to cover an interesting topic like that. Far easier to talk about big dramatic wars where big armies of armoured douchebags slam into each other repeatedly until someone manages to win.

And they're never wars about actual human topics either. Nobody in troper stories ever seems to go to war to install a puppet government, or to avenge a slight against them, or kill a bunch of stupid birds. It's all fate-of-the-world, evil-guy-raises-evil-army, aliens-invading-for-no-reason poo poo.

Honestly the principle reason tropers love worldbuilding, and the reason they're so loving bad at it, is because it allows them to throw tropes together without worrying about that pesky narrative. Since there's no actual writing going on, they can just sit back and post post post on the forums about how many lovely loving tropes they're packing into their "upcoming project".

I'm not sure replacing "A brief history of the house of Not-Stark, from its founder to the present day" with "A brief treatise on the effects of lead-to-gold alchemy on the monetary market, with three graphs and five tables" is going to fix the basic problems tropers have with world building. If it did, then Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality would be the work to aspire to. It is the execution that is lacking, not the topic.

• Locked thread