Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The page is having a lot of trouble loading, but this is what it says:

quote:

Our ambition from the start with Watch Dogs has been to deliver something that embodies what we wanted to see in the next-generation of gaming. It is with this in mind that we’ve made the tough decision to delay the release until spring 2014.

We know a lot of you are probably wondering: Why now? We struggled with whether we would delay the game. But from the beginning, we have adopted the attitude that we will not compromise on quality. As we got closer to release, as all the pieces of the puzzle were falling into place in our last push before completion, it became clear to us that we needed to take the extra time to polish and fine tune each detail so we can deliver a truly memorable and exceptional experience.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you. We thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the way you respond on the web, at events, press conferences and other opportunities we have to interact. Your passion keeps us motivated.

We can’t wait to see you in Chicago next spring. We are confident you’ll love this game as much as we love working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea I am fine with the delay if it means we will get a much more polished game at the end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Better it come out and doesn't feel like a launch game. Ubisoft of all companies wanting to focus on improving their titles should be loving lauded.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

Ubisoft of all companies wanting to focus on improving their titles should be loving lauded.

They've put out a lot of good stuff lately. The Rayman games, Far Cry 3, Anno 2070, the 15 dollar stuff like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Blood Dragon, and so on and so forth. The only real misstep I can think of is running Assassin's Creed into the ground.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They've put out a lot of good stuff lately. The Rayman games, Far Cry 3, Anno 2070, the 15 dollar stuff like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Blood Dragon, and so on and so forth. The only real misstep I can think of is running Assassin's Creed into the ground.

Out of all those games, only Rayman Legends has been really worth playing by my estimate (Splinter Cell was bad, too).

But okay, sure, even aside from that, taking more time with an open-world game, especially the first game in a franchise, is always a good idea. They're already taking a huge risk with this game, so it better hit it out of the park from the outset.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

As disappointed as I am that it's been delayed, I was really struggling between getting this and AC4, particularly given how much I like the idea of sailing the pirate seas farming shanties. Now at least I don't have that problem anymore.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Better it come out and doesn't feel like a launch game. Ubisoft of all companies wanting to focus on improving their titles should be loving lauded.

If it were delayed a reasonable time beforehand, sure, but delaying a month before release is a major fuckup. They had next gen bundles pre-ordered and nearly ready to go, and now Sony and MS have to clean up the mess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Midee posted:

If it were delayed a reasonable time beforehand, sure, but delaying a month before release is a major fuckup. They had next gen bundles pre-ordered and nearly ready to go, and now Sony and MS have to clean up the mess.

No they don't. Sony and Microsoft didn't offer those bundles, retailers did.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

No they don't. Sony and Microsoft didn't offer those bundles, retailers did.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch_dogs/news/sony_working_with_ubisoft_to_manage_watch_dogs_ps4_bundle_pre-orders_2.html

quote:

"Obviously this is [a] very recent announcement, but we will be working very closely both with Ubisoft and with our partners at retail to manage this situation."
It still falls on them.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Well I preordered a Watch Dogs bundle from amazon. I hope they just ask me to pick a new game instead of delaying the entire thing.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Well I preordered a Watch Dogs bundle from amazon. I hope they just ask me to pick a new game instead of delaying the entire thing.

I guess it depends on if it was a pack-in or just an additional game. If it was a pack-in....sucks to be you.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

suddenlyissoon posted:

I guess it depends on if it was a pack-in or just an additional game. If it was a pack-in....sucks to be you.

If it was scheduled to be a pack-in there's still launch consoles allocated for those bundles that are now freed up. Pretty sure it wasn't though, just an Amazon thing.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Amazon has said they will ship the console as scheduled and the game when it comes out for the Amazon non-official bundle.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE2W5M2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Aphasian posted:

Amazon has said they will ship the console as scheduled and the game when it comes out for the Amazon non-official bundle.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE2W5M2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's like the worst one they could have picked (that isn't holding the console until Watch Dogs comes out.)

vvv They're not going to charge for the game until it ships. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 15, 2013

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

The Aphasian posted:

Well that kinda sucks for a lot of people I would imagine. I have only just managed to afford the bundle and the thought of being stuck with a PS4 without any extra cash to buy a game of my choosing to go with it is pretty lovely. I'm in the UK with a pre-order for the Watch Dogs PS4 bundle through an independent retailer so things may be different for me. Considering in the UK they don't take the money until they ship the items, I wonder if there is some legal hurdles for them if tey are unable to ship it as agreed i.e. as a complete bundle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

keyframe posted:

Yea I am fine with the delay if it means we will get a much more polished game at the end.

Definitely. Seems like lots of games fall into the trap of trying to hit the holidays and winding up with a less finished game than they really should have.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Here's the comment thread:

http://www.amazon.com/DELAYED/forum/Fx2UM941C5CS5V1/Tx3AEJ5I0SS34CV/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tp_cq?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00DE2W5M2

As with most Amazon preorders, buyers won't be charged for items until they ship. So you'd get charged the console price next month and charged for Watch Dogs whenever it comes out. Sucks that canceling would lose your place in line (or whatever you want to call it), but you could probably cancel Watch Dogs after you get your console next month.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
In addition to Watch Dogs, the Crew has been delayed as well to Spring.

quote:

The Paris based publisher initially expected to make $1.94 billion by the end of the fiscal year in April 2014, but now believes that figure will arrive at $1.38 billion. This means that both delays have helped pull revenue expectations by $560 million.

Further dismay was triggered among investors when the corporation issued a warning that it no longer believes it will be profitable this financial year. It previously expected a 12-month profit of about $236 million, and on Tuesday told investors it will actually lose about $88 million.

Multi-platform and cross-gen title Watch Dogs has been delayed by about four months until Spring 2014, while The Crew has been delayed by several months until some time between April and September.

Chief executive Yves Guillemot said the publisher did not take the decisions lightly, and suggested he wanted to secure the long-term viability of the new franchises by ensuring they debuted at a high quality.

"Our long term goal is to win the next generation," he said.

Speaking in a conference call addressing its revised line-up, Ubisoft CFO Alain Martinez said Watch Dogs has the potential to exceed sales of Assassin's Creed 1, which sold 6.2 million units in total, and that it does not believe the delay beyond Christmas will affect this.

Guillemot added: "The tough decisions we are taking today to fully realise the major potential of our new creations have an impact on our short-term performance. We are convinced that, longer term, they will prove to be the right decisions both in terms of satisfaction for our fans and in terms of value creation for our shareholders.

"Fuelled by strong momentum for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, calendar 2014 will see the return of growth to the console market."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/433948/ubisoft-to-lose-560m-this-fiscal-over-watch-dogs-and-crew-delay/

Ubisoft's conference call suggested they had expected sales of 2-2.5 million for The Crew and 6-6.5 million for Watch Dogs. The delay along with poor sales (SC: Blacklist/Rayman Legends) means they'll probably lose money this year in spite of having an Assassin's Creed game on the horizon.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That's like the worst one they could have picked (that isn't holding the console until Watch Dogs comes out.)
I think it's an ok solution. No charge for the game until release, so people can just cancel the game once the console arrives and order whatever they want in the meantime. What else could they have done?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Aphasian posted:

Here's the comment thread:

http://www.amazon.com/DELAYED/forum/Fx2UM941C5CS5V1/Tx3AEJ5I0SS34CV/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tp_cq?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00DE2W5M2

As with most Amazon preorders, buyers won't be charged for items until they ship. So you'd get charged the console price next month and charged for Watch Dogs whenever it comes out. Sucks that canceling would lose your place in line (or whatever you want to call it), but you could probably cancel Watch Dogs after you get your console next month.

Works for me, games are easy as poo poo to pre-order and I still get my console on time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The game for which I upgraded my PC has been delayed to such a point in time that the hardware will have fallen in price.

gently caress. :negative:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I actually thought this came was coming out today, seriously. :lol: I'm glad I checked this thread before heading to the store. I feel really bad for dudes that upgraded PC's or preordered next-gen system bundles. Seems like a really lame move on the part of the publisher, but I guess if the game needed THAT much work, it's the best choice.

Here's a question that I've had for a while but haven't found an answer to: how much of Chicago, north of the loop, are they actually including? I'm obviously not expecting to be able to "go by my apartment" but it would be nice to have much of the north side represented properly.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

ijyt posted:

The game for which I upgraded my PC has been delayed to such a point in time that the hardware will have fallen in price.

gently caress. :negative:

This is why you always wait until you actually have the game you're gonna upgrade for before doing the upgrade.

Apart from delay talk, I'm glad we're finally starting to see the death of 32bit support. Finally developers can take advantage of the fact that I have more than 3.5gigs of ram in my computer.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Thinking about it, while it feels like we've been drowning in AC4 pre-release hype trailers/teasers/gameplay videos, there haven't been nearly so many Watch_Dogs videos coming out, and the ones I have seen were often times the same exact mission (like that Aisha demo on Fallon). I hope this delay gives them enough time to get it right. AC1 was so close to being great, and it felt like the negative reaction caused them to go in a much less ambitious direction for AC2+ plus.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

Oh cool that's the one I bought. Time to preorder a different game now though

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This stinks, I wanted to play this video game. But if it gets a few more months of polish it's probably better.

Plus releasing near Christmas when GTA is still going strong may of turned them off a bit I suppose?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I am kind of glad people other than Wii U owners are experiencing Ubisoft's delay policies :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
There are WiiU owners? :confused:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

toggle posted:

This stinks, I wanted to play this video game. But if it gets a few more months of polish it's probably better.

Plus releasing near Christmas when GTA is still going strong may of turned them off a bit I suppose?

I was really hoping to play Watch Dogs all through summer before uni gets serious next year. Now it looks like I'll be getting GTAV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Octy posted:

I was really hoping to play Watch Dogs all through summer before uni gets serious next year. Now it looks like I'll be getting GTAV.

...But it still comes out before summer.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Aphrodite posted:

...But it still comes out before summer.

Not if you're in the southern, superior hemisphere!

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Octy posted:

The gaming industry really needs to stop syncing its seasonal release calendar to the university assessment cycle. I swear to god it's as damaging to higher education as the loss of public funding.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I was really holding out on GTAV since W_D was due around the corner, but now it's a matter of AC4 or GTAV if it ever gets released to PC this year. Pretty much done with console games at this point and don't want to pick up either for the 360/PS3.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tyberius posted:

I was really holding out on GTAV since W_D was due around the corner, but now it's a matter of AC4 or GTAV if it ever gets released to PC this year. Pretty much done with console games at this point and don't want to pick up either for the 360/PS3.

Zero chance of GTAV coming out on PC this year. I have no doubt that it's coming, but I wouldn't expect it for another six months or more.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

webmeister posted:

Zero chance of GTAV coming out on PC this year. I have no doubt that it's coming, but I wouldn't expect it for another six months or more.

Many news sources last week quoting leaks that it's scheduled for Q1 2014 as well.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Tyberius posted:

I was vacillating between XCOM: Enemy Within and Watch Dogs. I know which I'm getting in November now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As someone who hasn't pre-ordered yet, I'm actually kind of glad because I wouldn't have had the money to spare for a next gen console AND the game by the time pre-orders for it closed (I'm a poor college student you see). Now I can save up! :unsmith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ah, good. Now I can patiently wait until my days off this Christmas before upgrading my computer, so I can be at home when the parts arrive.

loving post-office, I swear.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just got the email from Amazon saying my Watch_Dogs bundle has been changed to a normal gameless launch edition and the price for my preorder dropped to $399.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

:v:
I still think they're shifting dates because of GTAV, specifically GTA:O since they've mostly sorted out servercloud issues and should start releasing more content soon.

• Locked thread