Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm going to gently disagree with folks saying it's too big. It's only too big if your stove can't put out enough heat to maintain temp. I use mine for steaks, burgers and also spatchcocked chickens. Chicken is my favorite thing to make in it. Here's my process:

Are you cooking 6 birds or 15 hamburgers at a time? Why would you recommend 17 inches of cast iron for normal household use? :psyduck:

17 inches is too big for regular use. I'm not saying that pan is worthless, but it's not an intelligent purchase for now. Buy something you can comfortably manipulate with one hand - 12 to 15 inches with a long handle is more than good for just about anything you'd use it for.

Then flip it, put your probe in,
:heysexy:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My household has 3 adults and two children. My fuckoff big cast iron is my most used cast iron pan. Obviously it depends on the individual situation though.

My wife purchased it for me when she was heading out shopping and I told her to get me a big cast iron pan, because our little 10" wasn't cutting it. She came home with the biggest pan they had. Weighs 15 or 16 pounds. I laughed at her and scoffed, but I'll be damned if it isn't useful. Though I think mine may only be 16".

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I bet that 17" pan would make a great pan pizza. No way I would use something that big on the stove though--it probably takes up two burners at least.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you want a lot of realestate and cast iron, get something like this : http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27819_-1__?N=395477678&kwid=ps_cse&cid=CSE|Google

I have one that came with the stove in the place I'm living now. It snugly fits over the grates of two burners, and doesn't slide around. It's great because it's the size of two burners, so I'm not awkwardly trying to mess with getting a pan to sit just right on the stove, and there aren't cold spots on the sides.

I had never seen one before I was just sort of given one, but I love it. I use it for cooking burgers a lot, and tons of bacon, or searing off lots of portions of something for seated dinner parties, etc.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I can't find it in the last 30 pages or so..

What is the recommended pressure cooker? (cheaper the better)

I'm doing the Science and Cooking HarvardX course and I'm trying to find stuff that I could possibly need (and could continue to use).
I've got a SV stick coming.
I could see using a pressure cooker, and probably some spherification agents. Has anyone gone through this course yet (or maybe worked ahead?)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

LTBS posted:

Presto and Fagor are two of the bigger names in inexpensive pressure cooker. I've tried both and I like the Fagor line more. The cheaper Prestos have the 'jiggling weight' style regulator whereas the Fagor has a dial type pressure regulator. The Fagor also has a nice heavy bottom which I like. The Fagor Splendid line are a little more expensive, but not tremendously so. I was able to get a package with an 8qt and a 4qt (along with a glass lid and a steamer basket) for about $100 or so. (It was this one, though I didn't buy it directly from Fagor.)

Generally speaking you probably want something that is stainless steel (instead of aluminum). I found my stainless steel cooker a million times easier to clean. You should seriously consider getting one that is 8qt rather than 6qt, also. You can't fill a pressure cooker higher than about 2/3, so a 6qt can feel a smaller. You can get some pressure cookers that have high (15psi) and low (8psi), but frankly there just isn't a lot of call for low pressure cooking so its probably not worth the extra money in your case. Obviously there are some nicer options available (Kuhn-Rikon is a favourite, I think) but you specified cheaper. I'm totally happy with my Fagor, for what its worth.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

LTBS posted:

I'm doing the Science and Cooking HarvardX course and I'm trying to find stuff that I could possibly need (and could continue to use).
I could see using a pressure cooker, and probably some spherification agents. Has anyone gone through this course yet (or maybe worked ahead?)

Need is a harsh word, you don't even need an oven. It's a science course, not elBulli Foundation.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

deimos posted:

Need is a harsh word, you don't even need an oven. It's a science course, not elBulli Foundation.

Point taken. I still want to do all of the labs and things just because it seems fun.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

LTBS posted:

For a pressure cooker don't get the cheapest one you can find. You want one with a thick, solid bottom that distributes heat well so there aren't hot spots. A good base will also help keep the heat from dropping and losing pressure. I had a cheap T-Fal pressure cooker that would scorch the hell out of food and required a ton of fiddling with temp to keep at the right pressure. I upgraded to the Fagor model Cook's Illustrated recommends and love it--this is the model: http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-8-Quart...pressure+cooker Now I use my pressure cooker all the time, and as a bonus the pot works as a great stockpot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do they even make pressure cookers without disc bottoms anymore?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Do stovetop pressure cookers work with glass flattop stoves or induction burners (assuming one was made of the proper metal)? I'd assume yes, but flattops also love to turn the heat on and off with really infrequent cycling.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Do stovetop pressure cookers work with glass flattop stoves or induction burners (assuming one was made of the proper metal)? I'd assume yes, but flattops also love to turn the heat on and off with really infrequent cycling.

Yeah I use mine with a glass top stove without issues. You'll definitely want one with a solid, heavy bottom so it doesn't lose heat as much when the range cycles on and off.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

LTBS posted:

I have owned the aluminium Presto 8 quart for about three years now, and I reach for it pretty much every day. It is around $40, give or take, and heats up very quickly. It's large enough that I can cook entire meals in it, by stacking the inside of it with stainless steel bowls. For an entry level pressure cooker, it's well worth the money.

The reason I like the jiggling weight is because it's LOUD. I can hear the thing reaching full pressure from across the apartment. My apartment is long, and it doesn't carry sound very well. That way, I can get home, hang up my keys and coat, and immediately throw in beans for dinner into the pressure cooker. I add the water, throw it on the stove on high heat, and walk away. I can then take my time switching to house clothes, taking off my shoes, switching to slippers, etc. By the time I've got myself comfortable, and a glass of wine in my hand, the pressure cooker has reached full pressure. I then go in, and adjust the temperature down until I hear only a slight hiss, then set the timer. I clean up whatever I need to, throw together the spice mix for the beans, and by the time the timer rings, dinner is a go.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Is this Victorinox knife set a good deal at 20% off?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

No, just buy the chefs knife and the paring separately. The middle knife is useless if you were born with knuckles.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

'tis been a while since I've seen the goatman

[edit] nice ninja edit

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
Does anyone have a mandolin they really like? I have been really into my dehydrator lately and would like to be able to make my own bagel chips from the larger bags of bagels I have been buying lately. Getting them thin enough even with my very nice kitchen knives is a rather dangerous proposition.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

uncle spero posted:

Does anyone have a mandolin they really like? I have been really into my dehydrator lately and would like to be able to make my own bagel chips from the larger bags of bagels I have been buying lately. Getting them thin enough even with my very nice kitchen knives is a rather dangerous proposition.

I don't know that a mandoline will chip your bagels. But, Alton Brown swears by the Kyocera one:
http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CSN-202-RD-Adjustable-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B000HZBXOA/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Bron mandoline, only mandoline.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

uncle spero posted:

Before getting a mandoline, you could try cutting the bagel into quarters and then cutting those quarters into thin slices, using their quarter circle shape to stabilize them on the cutting board

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

uncle spero posted:

you don't want a mandolin, you want a knife.

or a meat slicer.

there really shouldn't be anything even remotely dangerous about a bagel and a sharp knife - if there is, brush up on your technique. tuck your fingers, and create a flat edge on the bagel. cutting them in half and standing them up like an arch would be a good start.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Bron mandoline, only mandoline.

My friend got drunk and bought this for his wife. Mankind has not yet invented the linguistics to describe how simultaneously awesome and stupid it is.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun/pro-mandoline-slicer-p113956

She still hasn't even taken it out of the box, as she is dead certain it will maim her. I've been dropping hints that she should regift it this Christmas. To me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BrosephofArimathea posted:

My friend got drunk and bought this for his wife. Mankind has not yet invented the linguistics to describe how simultaneously awesome and stupid it is.

She still hasn't even taken it out of the box, as she is dead certain it will maim her. I've been dropping hints that she should regift it this Christmas. To me.

God drat, that's awesome. It's a shame it's just sitting in its box unused. She really should regift it to you so you can maim yourself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrosephofArimathea posted:

That's the safest mandolin I've used. The handle for the carrier is on the side, so your hand should never pass over the blade unless you're not using the food carrier . The only cons I've found (aside from it not coming with a waffle fry blade) is that you have to oil the bar the carrier slides on regularly, and adjusting the thickness is kind of a pain in the rear end. It has knobs on both sides, one to raise and lower and the other to tighten, and it can be difficult to get it dialed in to just the right height. But otherwise it's a joy to use.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jesus if you're gonna pay stupid money for a mandoline just get a Bron (which is/was $100 cheaper). Either pay $25-$45 for the Benriner (small-large) and $10 for chainmail (cut resistant) gloves or go for broke with a Bron.

fake edit: Or be like :argh:CdC:argh: and get a Bron for :10bux:

deimos fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 15, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Goon posted:

Thanks for posting this! Signed up. Looks cool. Would be nice if they provided a list of necessary materials though. I'm guessing I don't have most of the fancy powders I'll need.

Update for this, they posted a list recently: https://courses.edx.org/c4x/HarvardX/SPU27x/asset/Equipment_List.pdf

e: sorry about double post

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

deimos posted:

fake edit: Or be like :argh:CdC:argh: and get a Bron for :10bux:

:smug:

I made waffle chips the other day, just because.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hated how you have to set the Bron up, the sharp edges on the sheet metal it's made of, and the god awful racket it makes when you use it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I hated how you have to set the Bron up, the sharp edges on the sheet metal it's made of, and the god awful racket it makes when you use it.

I can't stress enough how little a poo poo I give about mandoline safety after getting cut resistant gloves (I have the metal weave kind).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What kind of cut resistant gloves did you get? My wife picked some ones up off amazon that I think claimed to have some kevlar in them, and they've already been cut once or twice by the mandoline we have (it's the Oxo one I think...white plastic with black knobs and a food-holder that's a piece of poo poo).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Arcturas posted:

What kind of cut resistant gloves did you get? My wife picked some ones up off amazon that I think claimed to have some kevlar in them, and they've already been cut once or twice by the mandoline we have (it's the Oxo one I think...white plastic with black knobs and a food-holder that's a piece of poo poo).

I have no idea, some no name brand from china I got at a local chef supply store, the closest thing I've seen at BB&B is the microplane cut resistant glove (exept I paid $10 for a pair and the microplane sells for $25 for one). They sell actual chainmail-style gloves but they are closer to $100 (look for Chainex/Sperian).

Keep in mind, they are cut resistant not retardcut proof, I still respect the mandoline, I just don't expect blood when I use it anymore.

It even gave my mom bravery to use it when I gifted her one (I splurged for a Microplane for her because of her tiny hands, the Microplane one stretches wonderfully from tiny to medium/large glove size).

The Microplane is $15 at Amazon, so I guess that's not terrible if you don't have giant hands.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 15, 2013

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Thanks for all the mandolin/cutting plane suggestions. When the government turns on again and I am back to gainful employment, I plan on grabbing one of two candidates. In the mean time I have been making the bagel chips by just doing diagonal slices all around the bagel, but I yearn for the whole-bagel rounds like you get in a deli made from their own day-olds.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

uncle spero posted:

Thanks for all the mandolin/cutting plane suggestions. When the government turns on again and I am back to gainful employment, I plan on grabbing one of two candidates. In the mean time I have been making the bagel chips by just doing diagonal slices all around the bagel, but I yearn for the whole-bagel rounds like you get in a deli made from their own day-olds.

You could just make a baguette out of bagel dough, then slice and toast that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uncle spero posted:

I'm all for mandoline usage, but I don't think it would work well for a bagel.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It is a piece of commercial equipment.

Also, food guards are for weaklings, just learn how to use a mandoline.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, a deli slicer is really what you'd want for doing that kind of thing but you probably don't have the need, space, and/or funds for such a thing at home.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Jeez, the whole point of this cutting a bagel exercise is to dehydrate it and make bagel chips.

Just cut that sucker into smaller, easier-to-slice pieces. Or cut it radially and make bagel coins

No need to faff around with a mandoline

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Or cut it radially and make bagel coins

That is what I have been doing, and it works well enough to produce the coin size chips which then get seasoned and dried. I would still like to be able to do the larger full bagel rounds, but if there really isn't anything safe or simple that can do it I can carry on as I am doing.

At the heart of the matter is likely the fact that I am trying to rationalize the purchase of a new kitchen gadget.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

uncle spero posted:

That is what I have been doing, and it works well enough to produce the coin size chips which then get seasoned and dried. I would still like to be able to do the larger full bagel rounds, but if there really isn't anything safe or simple that can do it I can carry on as I am doing.

At the heart of the matter is likely the fact that I am trying to rationalize the purchase of a new kitchen gadget.

Sounds like a job for a freezer and a bandsaw IMHO. :gibs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

uncle spero posted:

If you want to rationalize it, think of all the gratins you can make.

• Locked thread