Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

From what I can tell, it looks like the power training items give their EVs in addition to the opposing pokemon EVs instead of in place of their EVs. So this makes the old way of EV training basically nonviable.

If I read that right, they always did that. You get pokemon's EVs + 4 EVs of the Power Item's type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Complexcalibur posted:

Is there any easy place early in the game to raise happiness? I want my Azurill to evolve early enough that it can learn all the actually useful moves that Marill gets. If the leveling progress is anything like BW2, I have until level 20, and I'm at 11 right now. The lady in Satalune City says we are 'Very connected to each other', but I guess that isn't high enough.

Soothing Bags? You could also use EV berries.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All of this talk about Old Amber being hard to get is making me appreciate the Aerodactyl a Japanese person gave me on my Birthday all the more.

e: Reoxygenation was right.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 15, 2013

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
One of my passerby friends from Norway is a female with pigtails, and it's not one of the pre-made icons you can use. Maybe there are more hair colors/styles than I thought! I did just dye my hair orange, I dunno if that was because my outfit matched or what.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
You get more hairstyles by going to the hair stylist a bunch of times - about 10ish times or so. When she mentions an old (or strange, I can't remember) man, you're getting close.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

So Restaurant Le Wow's dining costs 100,000p, yeah?

Went back today with an Amulet coin. Sit down for dinner by paying 100,000p, get back 207,000 in return after selling the mushrooms and getting paid for winning battles.

Can't wait to go to Sushi High Roller and see how much extra money you get from playing there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I heard that in order to enter the lost hotel with the punks you need to know all the rollerskate tricks? Is this true? I don't think I have a single trick at all yet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does anyone know where you can change Rotom's form? Google is giving me nothing.

Wait, where do you get Rotom?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Why does oblivion wing drain hp?! Graaaah gently caress this guy.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Bruceski posted:

If I read that right, they always did that. You get pokemon's EVs + 4 EVs of the Power Item's type.

Well I guess I have a bunch of zany EV distros in the last gen. Anyway, I'm using selecive horde battles to power level EVs very quickly with the power items.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Boomstick Quaid posted:

it's on the second floor of the lab in lumiose.

Thank you, now I can pet possessed appliances in Pokemon-Amie.

Zurai posted:

Wait, where do you get Rotom?

I found mine hiding in one of green trash bins in the Lost Hotel, look for the ones that are shaking.

Edit: Rotom can participate in sky battles :getin:

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 15, 2013

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Dr Pepper posted:

Why am I spending more time playing dress up and petting Pokemon then actually progressing in the game.

Because you are playing the game right!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Geostomp posted:

The censorship is getting out of hand. I can't even name one of my guys Violet without triggering the message.

I love how terrible the filter is too. I can name my pokemon things like "Donglord" and "BLAZE IT 420" (which I have, probably to the great amusement of eight-year-olds using wonder trade) but I can't name my HM-slave Bidoof "butt". Gamefreak, why are you so bad at this.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

PonchAxis posted:

I heard that in order to enter the lost hotel with the punks you need to know all the rollerskate tricks? Is this true? I don't think I have a single trick at all yet.
Correct. The "boss" in the Lost Hotel is a legendary skater who will teach you the ultimate trick, so you need to have learned all four of the previous tricks.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The Shortest Path posted:

I love how terrible the filter is too. I can name my pokemon things like "Donglord" and "BLAZE IT 420" (which I have, probably to the great amusement of eight-year-olds using wonder trade) but I can't name my HM-slave Bidoof "butt". Gamefreak, why are you so bad at this.

Is it still such that "Hitler" is not allowed but "Hitler " is perfectly ok?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Shortest Path posted:

'Spike' is a bad name.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Wait. Is the stock of the clothing stores changing from day to day? This is bad...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Emalde posted:

Goldeen has a higher base speed than Aegislash.

Automize isn't going to do much for you at all.

Max Speed Jolly Aegislash has 480 Speed at +2, which outspeeds everything slower than +1 Base 97 or Base 169. Adamant Aegislash hits 438, the same as Base 150 Speed. It has the speed to pull off Automotize but you'll run into a lot of stuff that you can't OHKO without a Swords Dance boost; especially since it's stuck with weak BP STABs.

Skinote
Jan 12, 2009
Friend me 3754-7494-3456 and send me a PM to let me know you did, and what your code is! I've got pichu, eevee, and absol breeding programs going.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think my one major complaint about this game is that it's way way too easy. Like, never in any other pokemon game did I beat all the bosses,gym leaders, and elite four without taking a single party wipe.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I think my one major complaint about this game is that it's way way too easy. Like, never in any other pokemon game did I beat all the bosses,gym leaders, and elite four without taking a single party wipe.

Are you using the exp share? It's basically easy mode

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Did Jon Blow work on this game's story? Because god drat at the amount of pretentious bullshit I just ran into in Lumiose. Get the hell outta here with this dumb-rear end storyline, Game Freak. Go back to silly teams who want silly things. No one liked or wanted it when Advance Wars tried going all grimdark, no one wants it here.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Did Jon Blow work on this game's story? Because god drat at the amount of pretentious bullshit I just ran into in Lumiose. Get the hell outta here with this dumb-rear end storyline, Game Freak. Go back to silly teams who want silly things. No one liked or wanted it when Advance Wars tried going all grimdark, no one wants it here.

Where have you been for the past several years worth of Pokemon games? This is bad, but doesn't hold a candle to the atrocity that was B&W's plot.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ChibiSoma posted:

I thought Team Flare was almost entirely as silly as groups like Plasma or Rocket, to be honest with you. The leaders being pretentious dipshits is part of the appeal, especially since the grunts are all suckers who freely admit that they actually suck.

The fact that it's obviously the same six to eight people also gives them some weird personality for a group of identical minions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

So I'm guessing you've skipped every Pokemon game since Gold/Silver. Welcome back!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I found mine hiding in one of green trash bins in the Lost Hotel, look for the ones that are shaking.

Thanks! I'll get right on that.

WrightOfWay posted:

Max Speed Jolly Aegislash has 480 Speed at +2, which outspeeds everything slower than +1 Base 97 or Base 169. Adamant Aegislash hits 438, the same as Base 150 Speed. It has the speed to pull off Automotize but you'll run into a lot of stuff that you can't OHKO without a Swords Dance boost; especially since it's stuck with weak BP STABs.

Yeah, I really don't think going for speed is at all beneficial to Aegislash. It wants to be as slow as possible so it can tank the hit before it stance dances. Also I'm not totally convinced that Aegislash wants to be a physical attacker. It has great special attack, too, and it learns Flash Cannon and Shadow Ball (which is a higher BP than its other ghost STABs).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Team Flare may be stupid, but they can't hold a candle to Magma/Aqua from gen 3. I'm not sure even they knew what they were doing most of the time.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

So I'm guessing you've skipped every Pokemon game since Gold/Silver. Welcome back!

Oh I'm sorry. Must've missed the part where the people in previous games were grieving over tiny war coffins. My bad!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Hey, I thought you could search on the GTS for Pokemon that you haven't seen now? Do I have to unlock it or something?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Raserys posted:

Hey, I thought you could search on the GTS for Pokemon that you haven't seen now? Do I have to unlock it or something?

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the alphabet.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh I'm sorry. Must've missed the part where the people in previous games were grieving over tiny war coffins. My bad!

Yeah, there's literally never been a main villain in a pokemon game who wanted anything overly dark.
Like, say, destroying an entire universe so he can reshape it in his image.

And the series has always had light-hearted villains, like the genetic experiment that went nuts and murdered everyone involved in his creation before flying off, and was described as incredibly violent!

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
I have made a very intriguing discovering! The EV stat of whatever power item your lead pokemon is holding will determine what horde appears when you use sweet scent. I've been experimenting on route 7: power lens always make psyducks appear, power band always makes hoppips appear, and power weight is just a random mix of the horde pokemon on that route, which I suppose is from the fact none of the horde pokemon here have an HP EV. With multi-hit moves this makes EV-training go very fast.

:eng99: Never mind, I just had a tremendous lucky streak going there I guess. Maybe it effects appearance ratios? Whatever disregard this whole thing.

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 15, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Classtoise posted:

Yeah, there's literally never been a main villain in a pokemon game who wanted anything overly dark.
Like, say, destroying an entire universe so he can reshape it in his image.

And the series has always had light-hearted villains, like the genetic experiment that went nuts and murdered everyone involved in his creation before flying off, and was described as incredibly violent!

So when was the last Pokemon game where an entire town got wiped off the map. I forget. Curse my horrible memory!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Special Aegislash would also be pretty good, but you also have to look at what you're going to be likely to use Steel and Ghost moves against and what kind of defenses they have. The majority of rock types have large physical defenses, but ghost, psychic, and fairy types heavily lean toward special defense. Ice is a bit of a mixed bag.

He can do either, depending on what else you have on your team. Also, though Shadow Ball is a bit better than Shadow Claw, Gyro Ball seems a hell of a lot better than Flash Cannon if you set him up to be extremely slow.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

I love that that pokemon is so stupid looking too, who decided on clown colors? I'm positive it's this gen's mew too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Did you miss N as a character or what? the dude who existed to highlight that Pokemon is basically pit fighting for animals?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

ChibiSoma posted:

So when was the last Pokemon game where an entire town got wiped off the map. I forget. Curse my horrible memory!

Second generation with Cinnabar :v:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Never. Including in Gen 6.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I played through Sapphire but hardly remember it but yeah this is me as well.

:negative:

gently caress the story is pretty out there I guess, but I've been hearing bad things about BW/BW2 story so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

ChibiSoma posted:

When does that happen. Not asking for spoilers, it just doesn't happen. 3-4 houses (that have no doors) get knocked over?

• Locked thread