Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
Does anyone playing in a non-english region have a ditto for trade? I need a foreign ditto for Masuda's method, and have a US one. Can also offer Charmander, Pichu, Torchic and Froakie eggs. My friend code is Dav 0662 3389 8211, thanks pals.

Edit: Got one!

SCROTEBUSTIN fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Also gently caress the Badlands. I can't seem to pick up enough speed to get over this rail. Any hints?

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

When does that happen. Not asking for spoilers, it just doesn't happen. 3-4 houses (that have no doors) get knocked over?

I thought that part was hilarious. You'd think at least one of them would collapse or something, but no, they all just fall over on their sides.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Are you using the exp share? It's basically easy mode

I was so excited to evolve all my guys that I didn't even realize the implications. But then I got to the third gym and now I'm 10 levels above the gym leader somehow. :( I'm turning it off now but it's probably too late and the rest of the game will be really easy. Oh well.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

EvilHawk posted:

Also gently caress the Badlands. I can't seem to pick up enough speed to get over this rail. Any hints?

Perform the dash. I tend to do it by double pushing the stick. It gives you incredible speed.

Also, to the person earlier in the thread who was asking about where to find Rotom, it's in the trash cans in the Lost Hotel.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

EvilHawk posted:

Huh I left and came back and there was no wind :ms:

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

EvilHawk posted:

When does that happen. Not asking for spoilers, it just doesn't happen. 3-4 houses (that have no doors) get knocked over?

The house that did have a door is just fine, too.

As for Cinnabar in Gen 2, it's still there, mostly destroyed. And Team Plasmas attack might count in gen 5, though nothing was destroyed.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

EvilHawk posted:

You know how when you first start skating you're sorta sprinting? Do that, and make sure you hit the rail before starting the normal swoosh. That's how I do them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
IMO without exp share I probably wouldn't be that into this game if I had to constantly grind each one of my pokemon. I'd probably only have 1 single team of pokemon instead of leveling up multiple teams and having different squads. Just keep changing your party around!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

IMO without exp share I probably wouldn't be that into this game if I had to constantly grind each one of my pokemon. I'd probably only have 1 single team of pokemon instead of leveling up multiple teams and having different squads. Just keep changing your party around!

Seriously, Pokemon is never a challenge unless you go waaaaay out of your way to make it one and I'd take being a little over leveled over being forced to grind any day. The freedom to mix up your team without having to spend forever getting the new guys up to speed is a nice change to pace.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Boomstick Quaid posted:

From what I can tell, it looks like the power training items give their EVs in addition to the opposing pokemon EVs instead of in place of their EVs. So this makes the old way of EV training basically nonviable.

They always did that.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Is it just me or is the gap between the first gym and the second gym freaking huge? It seems like I've been wandering NotFrance forever.

Okkusenman
Oct 31, 2010

this is me irl lmao and im gay. a gay man
Just wondering what a good moveset is for a Special Sweeper Jolteon.

I gave it Thunderbolt and Shadowball. Was thinking on giving it Charge Beam also, any professional thoughts?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Chain soft resetting to get a good nature for my starter is agonizing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

This method right here is how you make the game more challenging. People talk about being super over-leveled for the gym leaders and everything, but doing this, I've been consistently at or slightly under the expected level. Not only do I get to use a bunch of my favorites, but battles aren't a complete curb-stomp.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

A frogadier with Protean! Oh, Friend Safari you shouldn't have.

For the record it changes your type before you attack, so every attack is a stab attack. :getin:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

PlotDevice posted:

Is it just me or is the gap between the first gym and the second gym freaking huge? It seems like I've been wandering NotFrance forever.

It is, but then after that the pacing picks up incredibly fast.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Special Aegislash would also be pretty good, but you also have to look at what you're going to be likely to use Steel and Ghost moves against and what kind of defenses they have. The majority of rock types have large physical defenses, but ghost, psychic, and fairy types heavily lean toward special defense. Ice is a bit of a mixed bag.

He can do either, depending on what else you have on your team. Also, though Shadow Ball is a bit better than Shadow Claw, Gyro Ball seems a hell of a lot better than Flash Cannon if you set him up to be extremely slow.

Aegislash is too fast for Gyro Ball. Even at minimum speed Gyro Ball is outdamaged by Iron Head/Flash Cannon on everything slower than 115 Base Speed and most stuff faster than that isn't bulky enough for the extra power to be worth it. Physical and Special Aegislash is going to come down to Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak and Swords Dance vs. Hidden Power and a slight BP boost to Ghost STAB. Mixed might be pretty good though, with Hidden Power Ice or something on an otherwise physical set.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

For the record it changes your type before you attack, so every attack is a stab attack. :getin:

Protean is freaking nuts, yeah. What move types can he get?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is it weird that bubble is superior to water gun now? Both have the same power and bubble now hits all enemies? I'm used to five generations of bubble being the crappy "here's a STAB move until you're out of the single digits" water move for starters.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LeafyOrb posted:

:swoon:

Protean is freaking nuts, yeah. What move types can he get?

Water, Dark, Ghost, Fighting, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Normal, Bug, Grass, Ground, Rock, from the TMs I have. Not all of those are special or high BP attacks though; for example, I've only seen Lick as a Ghost attack on my Greninja.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 15, 2013

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Tried to catcha Pikachu with a light ball for an hour straight, no luck. Try using a Sableye with Thief, first encounter gives me one. :shepicide:

so anyone want 37 pikachus

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Zurai posted:

Never. Including in Gen 6.

Well I mean, an entire town gets frozen in Gen 5. That sorta sucked.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
(Not mine, from tumblr)

:smith:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Tried to catcha Pikachu with a light ball for an hour straight, no luck. Try using a Sableye with Thief, first encounter gives me one. :shepicide:

so anyone want 37 pikachus

Name them all something offensive and dump them on Wonder Trade. You'll probably end up with some neat stuff out of it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Name them all something offensive and dump them on Wonder Trade. You'll probably end up with some neat stuff out of it.

"Mousillini" just earned me a Japanese Smeargle!

A Fennekin for "Fedora brony"! wow!

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 15, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

(Not mine, from tumblr)

:smith:

This is what happens to Pokemon you release.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Regy Rusty posted:

This is what happens to Pokemon you release.

Now I feel terrible for releasing all of the pre-gym 1 Wonder Trade pokemon I got.

VVVVV I couldn't do that to these virtual beings. I can't heart them constantly being juggled. I let them go back to being free.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 15, 2013

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's just utterly devastating. Why release them when you can stick them up for random trades instead, condemning them to a fate of being juggled between virtual computer boxes for all eternity?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
How the heck am I supposed to find a Venipede? The pokedex says route 6, but Serebii says shaking grass, and I don't know how that works in this game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

How the heck am I supposed to find a Venipede? The pokedex says route 6, but Serebii says shaking grass, and I don't know how that works in this game.

Run up and down the center aisle of the route. Sometimes a bush beside the road will shake and a pokemon will pounce out at you. Audino is also found this way on the same route.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
I swear to god I'm gonna get carpal tunnel from supertraining. But tapping for the sp. attack bags I need is way better than fight that goddamn magnezone over and over again...

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Hahahahaha holy poo poo, I just ran into a horde of Spindas. I could watch them teeter about like drunkards forever.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Is it weird that bubble is superior to water gun now? Both have the same power and bubble now hits all enemies? I'm used to five generations of bubble being the crappy "here's a STAB move until you're out of the single digits" water move for starters.

At least Piplup isn't screwed over until its teens anymore.

Countblanc posted:

I really like all the Super Training minigames... until I did them with a "rapid fire" pokemon. Holy crap, I loathe those. Is there any way to change your pokemon's attack style?

This is a very good question. Rapid Fire pokemon have some uses, but it'd be nice to be able to control or predict when they'd show up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nevileen posted:

I swear to god I'm gonna get carpal tunnel from supertraining. But tapping for the sp. attack bags I need is way better than fight that goddamn magnezone over and over again...

I really like all the Super Training minigames... until I did them with a "rapid fire" pokemon. Holy crap, I loathe those. Is there any way to change your pokemon's attack style?

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
Does anyone know how Pumpkaboo's size works in regards to breeding? Are bred Pumpkaboos always random sizes regardless, or can a female pass that down?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Berry crossbreeds so far:

Hondew = Aspear + Leppa
Pomeg = Iapapa + Mago
Qualot = Oran + Pecha

Okkusenman
Oct 31, 2010

this is me irl lmao and im gay. a gay man
Reposting my question about a good moveset spread for a Special Sweeper Jolteon, but also asking where the Elemental Punch TM's are sold.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

LeafyOrb posted:

Get a ditto in there and spread the love. I seriously want a Protean Greninja :swoon:

Okkusenman posted:

Just wondering what a good moveset is for a Special Sweeper Jolteon.

I gave it Thunderbolt and Shadowball. Was thinking on giving it Charge Beam also, any professional thoughts?

Volt Switch/[T-bolt/Thunder]/[Signal Beam/Shadow Ball]/[HP Ice/Rain Dance]

Signal Beam is very common on Jolteon due to bug's great coverage on common threats in the meta (TTar, Reuniclus), but Shadow Ball offers decent coverage too. Volt Switch is fantastic, Jolteon is speedy and if you smell any danger you can eject safely. HP Ice is the most common back up special attack, but if you don't want to go through the effort of breeding a million Eevees for one with HP Ice, you can pack Rain Dance for improved Thunders.

E: If Jolteon has access to a special fairy move (moon blast?), that makes for a great replacement for HP Ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Don't know if these tidbits have been mentioned here yet: https://twitter.com/Chispshot/status/390191933068283904

quote:

1. Sound-based moves ignore Substitute
2. Imposter Ditto breeds Hidden Abilities
3. Toxic has perfect Acc when used by a Poison-type

Maybe I'll have to give Boomburst Exploud more serious consideration after all.

• Locked thread