Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

holocaust bloopers posted:

I would've paid a lot of money to have seen this all play out IRL. gently caress let's just make it mandatory that everyone has to wear a GoPro at all times.

I wish so hard I had copies of it you have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

I would've paid a lot of money to have seen this all play out IRL. gently caress let's just make it mandatory that everyone has to wear a GoPro at all times.

http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Helmet-Cam/dp/B000NE8D3Y

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fifty four loving dollars?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I know a dude who is batshit insane about Aliens. Has a room in his house basically decked out like the Nostromo with all his prop weapons, aliens, etc.

It's not quite Star Wars/Star Trek, but people go fuckin crazy for that poo poo,

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I know a dude who is batshit insane about Aliens. Has a room in his house basically decked out like the Nostromo with all his prop weapons, aliens, etc.

It's not quite Star Wars/Star Trek, but people go fuckin crazy for that poo poo,

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=88755

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ya I got a taxi one night from a bar in OKC which is an AWACS town if there ever was any and the driver swore he flew on the E-3 as a radar tech which is totally believable but then he went on about how part of his job was to clamber up the struts and into the dome for maintenance during flight. So......probably not true. Fakers need to get their poo poo straight. Just lie and say you were a cop.

That's one of the stories techs tell to gently caress with people, so now I'm actually convinced that dude was actually an ART.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Godholio posted:

That's one of the stories techs tell to gently caress with people, so now I'm actually convinced that dude was actually an ART.

Speaking of climbing in domes and stories to gently caress with people

This is the D1G ball. It's the second largest freestanding sphere on the planet, behind Epcot. When the Navy was first developing nuclear reactors, they really didn't know if they'd work, melt or just explode - especially the early liquid sodium cooled ones. So, as the Navy is wont to do, they brute forced the gently caress out of it by building the entire back half of a missile cruiser in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles from the nearest ocean. They built it inside this fuckoff huge ball, big and thick enough that any imaginable explosion would be contained completely. This is the kind of overengineering that let the Navy be the only major branch to have never had a reactor meltdown.

Now that's the real story. But the thing is, you have this hugeass ball out in the forest, at a super sketchy base that not only isn't Navy, not even DoD, it's not even government run at all. The locals could see the ball, they saw the weirdos who worked on site, but they never saw the ship. So they just made up wild conjectures as to what was going on there. Eventually it became mostly a training facility, and got somewhat less hush-hush, and then this particular site was retired, but the ball remains.

You can tell people what it was and why, but they won't believe you (it's on Wikipedia.) The best local-generated idea I heard was that it was a submarine refueling facility; the subs would presumably transit underground, hundreds of miles, to surface inside the dome, their fission cores kept hidden from the prying eyes of enemy satellites.

Tales of working at a reactor refueling facility make for poor pillow talk, though. My friends and I decided that we would have the best luck with the students of the local all-girls college if we instead pretended to be naval aviators. Young test pilots for the R-114, a stealth spy jet so secret we could only fly it inside the dome. This tale had surprising success, possibly just from the sheer chutzpah of telling it, but also in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 where we embellished with details on how we were heading straight into harm's way, a little scared, but so proud to serve our country.

R-114 is gas for an air conditioner.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Snowdens Secret posted:

R-114 is gas for an air conditioner.

Colorado Springs is fairly inoculated with bullshit military stuff, considering that the Air Force Academy, NORAD, Ft Carson, Peterson AFB, and Schriever AFB are all within spitting distance of each other. The place was teeming with high and rights as well as lovely yellow ribbon bumper stickers.

I would assume most people could tell you what an 11B was, but civilians in Colorado Springs could give you the duty description of a 92A3L7 well after a few Fat Tires or Coors light had been pumped into them.

But goddamn if being one of the nation's leading OE-254 pilots didn't impress. It was a small prototype fighter aircraft with a large emphasis on enhancing communication abilities on the battlefield. It wasn't on the stealthy side, so you always had to consider SLOCTOP when planning your missions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ZappDash posted:

I would assume most people could tell you what an 11B was, but civilians in Colorado Springs could give you the duty description of a 92A3L7 well after a few Fat Tires or Coors light had been pumped into them.

Most people in Colorado Springs will tell you 11B is a bomber pilot.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Godholio posted:

Most people in Colorado Springs will tell you 11B is a bomber pilot.

True, but southern Colorado Springs was an Army slut if there ever was one.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

50 Foot Ant posted:

I swear to God, one of these days I'm going to meet someone, they'll tell me they were in the Army, I'll ask what they did, and they'll say: "I was a cook." and I'll buy them a loving beer. Swear to God.

Cooks can be dangerous too!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
PFC stole a Sergeant Major's Star card, used it on a bunch of bullshit on post, signed his own name.

TAC
Jun 24, 2010
Nevermind*

TAC fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 15, 2013

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

thehumandignity posted:

PFC stole a Sergeant Major's Star card, used it on a bunch of bullshit on post, signed his own name.

Wow what kind of idiot gets a star card?

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
someone who's laughing all the way to the bank with 10% savings on all food court purchases, idiot bitch

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Who eats a BX food court?

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Fat military wives laughing their way to diabetes you mean

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

Derek Dominoe posted:

Who eats a BX food court?

:thejoke:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Charley's

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Popeyes you fuckwits.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

this is the only proper answer

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

Popeyes you fuckwits.

gently caress charleys forever

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gently caress charleys forever

wow look who's got a smart mouth

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

actually its a dumb mouth with stupid taste buds that don't even understand deliciousness

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

compared to popeyes all other px/bx choices are the wrong choices forever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There is a gyro stand outside the fleet store on Pearl Harbor that loving owns.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

ghost bones posted:

actually its a dumb mouth with stupid taste buds that don't even understand deliciousness

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

literally eating a Charley's cheesesteak atm

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

shyduck posted:

literally eating a Charley's cheesesteak atm

Let's Talk About Idiots!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
chicken teriyaki crew qtiyd

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

popeyes chicken crew you don't have to quote poo poo because i know youre too busy eating delicious food and being a good person, unlike charleys eaters who have to distract themselves with the internet to choke down their flavorless sludge

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

popeyes chicken crew you don't have to quote poo poo because i know youre too busy eating delicious food and being a good person, unlike charleys eaters who have to distract themselves with the internet to choke down their flavorless sludge

you're literally a nazi do you know this?!?

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

ultimate club or gtfo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

you're literally a nazi do you know this?!?

i tried to give roscoe some charleys once

he cried and hit under the bed

i had to coax him out with some delicious BonafideŽ Chicken Tenders with a biscuit and tell him that the world is an ok place to be in, even if there are Charleys restaurants on this gay earth

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
your a gay earth

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

i tried to give roscoe some charleys once

he cried and hit under the bed

i had to coax him out with some delicious Bonafide® Chicken Tenders with a biscuit and tell him that the world is an ok place to be in, even if there are Charleys restaurants on this gay earth

You're dog is just like it's owner! A stupid human being with dumb taste.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

You're dog is just like it's owner! A stupid human being with dumb taste.

gently caress you gleep glop

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Apparently Popeye's red beans & rice is known for being some of the best in the country. I dunno, I'm from Boston. But this recipe tries to recreate it, and god drat is it good.

edit- also, Charley's Philly chicken is delicious

Aximus
Aug 18, 2010
As the child of a food court manager, Charley's and Popeyes had their place, especially Popeyes in Germany where that's the only drat place you can get fried chicken. What really upset me was when our Baskin Robbins in Wuerzberg was replaced by a drat Cinnabun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What who doesn't love Cinnabun?!?!