Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
As a not quite car-savvy person who is attempting to learn basic car maintenance, is there a general basic tool set you can point me towards, or is one of the harbor freight tool sets my best bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Phone posted:

As promised!

Despite having "Central" in the name, it's not actually a Harbor Freight item.

Here you are:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0051XRS24/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1

Good eye anyways. That finale was fantastic.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

RoyalScion posted:

As a not quite car-savvy person who is attempting to learn basic car maintenance, is there a general basic tool set you can point me towards, or is one of the harbor freight tool sets my best bet?

When I started out, I already had a basic tool box, hammer, and screw driver set. I got a set of sockets, a set of box wrenches, a pair of vice grips, a socket wrench, and a torque wrench. I splurged (Proto) on the socket wrench and torque wrench because I knew I'd be using them a lot. Everything else I picked up at Sears because it was close, reasonable quality, and had a lifetime replacement warranty. From there, I bought tools as I needed them.

I generally don't look at tool sets, but usually the ones I see either seem to be missing something obvious, or are 300 piece, $250 massive kits that seem to have 3 of everything.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

Fyi, a local circular has a coupon for any of the HF torque wrenches for $10 each. Might go and grab a set for myself. I can probably snag the details if anyone wants to place an online order.

There's a full page spread of coupons in the back of most car/motorcycle/handyman/pop-sci magazines. That $10 torque wrench coupon is there like half the time. My wife keeps a stack of the ads clipped to the fridge sorted by expiration. So many drat free flashlights in this house.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I got a 12v bosch drill and impact as a gift. How poo poo would the 12v sawzall be? I'd be doing sheet rock and plywood cuts in a trailer home, maybe pvc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eddiewalker posted:

There's a full page spread of coupons in the back of most car/motorcycle/handyman/pop-sci magazines. That $10 torque wrench coupon is there like half the time. My wife keeps a stack of the ads clipped to the fridge sorted by expiration. So many drat free flashlights in this house.

I haven't see the torque wrench sale before, but don't generally pay attention to the flyers. Totally getting the free flashlight when I go there even though I recently got a $3 Amazon flashlight that is infinitely better than any HF flashlight I've used.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Christobevii3 posted:

I got a 12v bosch drill and impact as a gift. How poo poo would the 12v sawzall be? I'd be doing sheet rock and plywood cuts in a trailer home, maybe pvc.

It will work perfectly for that. But don't expect to cut a shitload of steel or anything like that. The occasional nail? Yeah it will zip through that like butter.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

You should really have both, as well as an inch-pound 1/4 for general work. But if your main concern is lug nuts, yes...get the 1/2" first. A 3/8" will not typically go high enough for lug nuts and things like crank bolts.

This...although it should be mentioned that the HF 1/2" torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft-lb, which is good for most things but if you plan on doing anything requiring more than that in the future (things like crank bolts, axle nuts, etc) it would be a good idea to get something more capable in the first place. I have a full set of the HF wrenches, but had to buy a stronger 1/2" when I needed to do something the HF one couldn't handle. I ended up with this Mountain one which will do 250 ft-lb and isn't super expensive either.

Definitely get the smaller ones for more precise work though. The HF ones are well worth the $10/each.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 1, 2013

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harbor-freight-coupon-thread

That linked slickdeals thread is pretty good for finding the best HF coupons. For whatever reason, a lot of the mailed circulars and magazine coupons aren't the best deals they offer(they're usually beat by 5-10%).

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

RoyalScion posted:

As already said, tool sets aren't usually a good deal. Most of the less mechanical tools from Harbor freight are pretty decent. You can get a cheap socket set from them and some of their ratchets are ok. I have a couple I have been using for a few years now. Just get what you need for the job at hand and slowly build up from there. If you start with changing the oil you can get a decent jack and some jack stands. Then just get either a metric or sae socket set depending on the vehicle. After that you will need something to collect the oil in.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

plscks posted:

The shop really should buy them, but my old service manager was a bum and only got us things that were mandatory for him to get us. And I was oiling them, but not nearly at the frequency that I should have been, I speculate that that caused the malfunctions, but hopefully the inline oiler will solve that problem with my latest one. I also don't press on it at all, that tends to deform the frames and that's no good if I find a hole and we have to warranty a frame, if they see that sort of abuse and damage then we get stuck buying one and I most probably lose my job.

I have been thinking about going the IR route, I have not been disappointed with IR ever in the past, so I really don't see the downside, I'll just have to save for a few weeks and make the jump.

On that note does anyone actually have any experience with the IR needle scalers? I remember seeing an automotive one that looks exactly like the one I've got, and an industrial one that might have had some composite parts or something?

Maybe late but when I worked at sea every ship seemed to use IR needle guns. Crap tools can't be exchanged for months so the cream rises quick.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

What's the general consensus on buying precision measuring tools from eBay? I just bought a 6" Mitutoyo dial caliper from a dude with 100% feedback and 3500+ transactions. All of his other auctions are other machinist tools so I'm guessing that's what he deals in. Overall I'm feeling pretty good about it, but wanted everyone else's opinion.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you're worried about it send it off to get calibrated, it's not particularly expensive.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Has anyone tried one of those useless looking Harbor Freight defrosters? The folks' rear window defroster flaked, and they refused to let me check out the grid over the summer months to look for breaks, because, you know, no need - and now we're in the many-moons-of-freezing territory.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Noxious posted:

As already said, tool sets aren't usually a good deal. Most of the less mechanical tools from Harbor freight are pretty decent. You can get a cheap socket set from them and some of their ratchets are ok. I have a couple I have been using for a few years now. Just get what you need for the job at hand and slowly build up from there. If you start with changing the oil you can get a decent jack and some jack stands. Then just get either a metric or sae socket set depending on the vehicle. After that you will need something to collect the oil in.

Yep. My Chinese tool set is sort of the base of my tools. Mind you it was made many moons ago when the Chinese tools were reasonably strong. Anything I've needed better of has been replaced. Anything else has been added. I've got a smallish but overflowing tool chest, tool boxes etc. full of things I've needed over the years. If it's something specific like a socket, spanner or whatever I buy reputable brands. The Chinese stuff is the gap filler for all those times when I need something which is a different size to every other bolt on the car or that sort of thing.

My ratchets except for my 3/4" one are cheap and I hate them. I've knocked a few of the directional thingies off them in tight spaces and stripped the ratchet on a few too. If an opportunity presents grab decent ratchets and breakers, even if it's on an as-needed basis.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

General_Failure posted:

Mind you it was made many moons ago when the Chinese tools were reasonably strong.

Look at how wrong you are.

If anything, Chinesium has been improving in quality. A decade ago I quite literally picked up a "china drop forged" wrench I saw in a stock bin at a bargain house, noticed it was bent, and bent it back - with my bare hands.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Didn't say what it was drop forged out of :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

If anything, Chinesium has been improving in quality. A decade ago I quite literally picked up a "china drop forged" wrench I saw in a stock bin at a bargain house, noticed it was bent, and bent it back - with my bare hands.

Ha! I have a "drop forged" shifter I was forced to buy for ...oh goddamnit, for a battery replacement in a carpark for the Fairlane a couple of years back. Just leave it. It did the job barely. It was clearly cast from a mould made from an actual drop forged Chinese shifter. There is some really sketchy quality stuff out there.

I've never encountered a wrench like the one you saw. Pretty much all my Chinese made stuff from 15-20 years ago is still going strong except for ratchets, and a 12mm spanner that got broken when my brother in law stood on it while it was on a tie rod end on the ground to try and unjam it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

fps_bill posted:

What's the general consensus on buying precision measuring tools from eBay? I just bought a 6" Mitutoyo dial caliper from a dude with 100% feedback and 3500+ transactions. All of his other auctions are other machinist tools so I'm guessing that's what he deals in. Overall I'm feeling pretty good about it, but wanted everyone else's opinion.

I've bought nearly all my measurement tools off ebay. You can save a ton of money for relatively low risk. For new or like new, name brand tools it's tough to go wrong. Assuming they aren't worn out or damaged, some old tools can be better than new ones.

These calipers are really tough to beat on price and quality. Unless you get them wet, digital are more durable than dial calipers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are Sealey a reasonable name in budget tool chests? I'm thinking an AP2200BB combo for £100 looks good value, even if I have to rip the utility room apart to fit it it'll be better than the ragtag assortment of toolboxes and plastic boxes I have now.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

West SAAB Story posted:

Has anyone tried one of those useless looking Harbor Freight defrosters? The folks' rear window defroster flaked, and they refused to let me check out the grid over the summer months to look for breaks, because, you know, no need - and now we're in the many-moons-of-freezing territory.

No matter how good/bad it is - the maximum it can use from a car's cigarette lighter is about 150W. That's if your lighter is fused at 15amps. That outlet is meant to light a cigarette, not defrost a window!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Those kinds of things are useless at actually de-icing, but if you have a car that takes a long time to warm up or has a particularly ineffective heater, they can blow enough warm air into the flow from the demister vent to help clear the fogginess on the inside of the glass a bit faster.

Cakefool posted:

Are Sealey a reasonable name in budget tool chests? I'm thinking an AP2200BB combo for £100 looks good value, even if I have to rip the utility room apart to fit it it'll be better than the ragtag assortment of toolboxes and plastic boxes I have now.
There's no substitute for going and having a poke at one to see what you think, but a hundred quid sounds like "cheap enough to be worth a punt" unless it's really tinny.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Is there a standard-ish trolley jack :britain: types would recommend?

I'm currently using a VW scissor jack, dads old axle stands and the power of prayer. I was just going to get a Halfords 2 ton trolley jack, based partly on this auto express test and partly on it's a 10 minute drive to get one.

I just want to do brake pads and other basic maintenance on an '03 Polio tdi without injury. Any input welcomed :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Knobjockey posted:

'03 Polio tdi

Nice :v:

I've got one of those cheap red 2-ton jacks that are about £25, the one with the black wheels and the yellow plastic carrying handle. Hasn't let me down yet.

One of these:

At some stores, they're blue with a 1-ton capacity instead, but it's the same jack.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's cute like a Tonka truck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Knobjockey posted:

Is there a standard-ish trolley jack :britain: types would recommend?

I'm currently using a VW scissor jack, dads old axle stands and the power of prayer. I was just going to get a Halfords 2 ton trolley jack, based partly on this auto express test and partly on it's a 10 minute drive to get one.

I just want to do brake pads and other basic maintenance on an '03 Polio tdi without injury. Any input welcomed :)
Honestly, all the cheaper small trolley jacks are much of a muchness, a twenty quid one will probably work just fine and leave you some cash in your pocket to buy your own axle stands.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd drop twenty on this Machine Mart jack (it's about another fiver if you need it in a carrying case) and the same again on these axle stands.

Machine Mart/Clarke stuff is often toward the budget end of the market, but it works, it's usually cheap, and if you sign up for promotions with them you'll get VAT-free offers every now and then.

Halfords' pro sockets/spanners are great, though, if you buy one of the big sets when they're on half-price sale, can't beat them for the money.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Thank you very much gentlemen, I appreciate the advice.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

0toShifty posted:

No matter how good/bad it is - the maximum it can use from a car's cigarette lighter is about 150W. That's if your lighter is fused at 15amps. That outlet is meant to light a cigarette, not defrost a window!

Doesn't really matter, being harbor freight, it just doesn't work. :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've had halfords replace broken tools years after I bought them, they're like Harbor freight or craftsman sorta.

I was honest about it too.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cakefool posted:

I've had halfords replace broken tools years after I bought them, they're like Harbor freight or craftsman sorta.

Harbor Freight has lifetime warranties on hand tools. They'll still break, but they will replace them. Its anything that isn't a hand tool that you need to worry about.

Folks picked one up, open box. Shocking, I know - it didn't work! :iiam:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know what brand is the best (my set is Craftsman, and work OK), but those hammer-on spiral fluted rounded-bolt removers work wonders.

I removed a bunch of BMW lug bolts today that laughed at a friend's Milwaukee cordless impact, then rounded when a breaker bar and cheater pipe were applied. Popped em right off with the hammer-on bolt remover, the appropriate socket to go over it, my 3/4" breaker bar, and 4 feet of pipe.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kastein posted:

I don't know what brand is the best (my set is Craftsman, and work OK), but those hammer-on spiral fluted rounded-bolt removers work wonders.

I removed a bunch of BMW lug bolts today that laughed at a friend's Milwaukee cordless impact, then rounded when a breaker bar and cheater pipe were applied. Popped em right off with the hammer-on bolt remover, the appropriate socket to go over it, my 3/4" breaker bar, and 4 feet of pipe.

I was an idiot that lost the lock socket for my wheel locks, and this Craftsman lug-out set worked wonders to remove the lock nuts. I didn't even need a big cheater pipe, just a decent 1/2" breaker bar and the locks popped right off in seconds. No way would I ever assume wheel locks (at least external spline locks) are actually worth a drat after using this socket set.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

I believe Halfords insist that you have the original receipt now.

That's the thermally printed receipt with a lifespan of 2-5 years before it fades - so don't forget to photocopy it.

Their Pro stuff is pretty drat good - which is odd as their cheap stuff is really lovely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

spog posted:

I believe Halfords insist that you have the original receipt now.

That's the thermally printed receipt with a lifespan of 2-5 years before it fades - so don't forget to photocopy it.

Their Pro stuff is pretty drat good - which is odd as their cheap stuff is really lovely.

I got a replacement for a 1/2" drive torx socket a few weeks back, it was stamped as a 45 but both it and the 40 had 40's in. I straight out said I bought it a year or so back and don't have a receipt.

Maybe that was a one-off but I get the impression most of the staff care enough to help but not enough to enforce stuff like that.

Contrast that to b&q (I had vouchers) I had a flex-head ratchet spanner disintegrate after 2 bolts, youth at the counter tried to convince me that size wasn't common so what was the big deal.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Sealey tools seem pretty good. I'd rate them about level with the halford's pro stuff in my experience.

Thats a reasonable price for a box combo, but see if you can find one to inspect and see how the drawers feel. My dad has a cheap halfords one and it feels really flimsy compared to my clarke one (which isn't even the posh one with ball bearing slides which feels even more solid!).

I would also look at one with more drawers in. I have this one and those top 6 1/3rd drawers are great for keeping things organised - I want more of them than the full width drawers!

(If you decide you want a clarke one I have a VAT free voucher for this weekend if you want to drive up to Stoke to collect it)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 15, 2013

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I have the Aldi version of This clarke air chisel.

Does anybody know if the cheap needle scaler attachements (like this one on ebay will fit onto it? It looks like it will and for £15 I'm tempted to try anyway!

I want to clear the rust off the 8 spoke wheels on my landy and I think this will get right in the joints where the rust is.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks like the HF IR thermometer is $26 on sale with coupon, are these any good? I know anything electrical/electronic is to be avoided from HF, but I don't really want to drop trou on a Fluke or something. For that price maybe it's OK?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

(If you decide you want a clarke one I have a VAT free voucher for this weekend if you want to drive up to Stoke to collect it)

Thanks but this weekend is sort out wife's new car time.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Raluek posted:

Looks like the HF IR thermometer is $26 on sale with coupon, are these any good? I know anything electrical/electronic is to be avoided from HF, but I don't really want to drop trou on a Fluke or something. For that price maybe it's OK?

Mines lasted a long time, with a lot of extra use as a laser pointer for the dog to chase. No idea how accurate it is, but it's close enough for anything I've needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

eddiewalker posted:

Mines lasted a long time, with a lot of extra use as a laser pointer for the dog to chase. No idea how accurate it is, but it's close enough for anything I've needed.

It will depend on what youre measuring. Unless it self-calibrates for different emissivities it wont be very accurate and anything that is highly reflective in the IR range will be really inaccurate. Basically all IR thermometers suck at measuring the temp of polished aluminum.