Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I looked through the OP and a few wikis but didn't find much info. I know X and Y have only been out for a few days but I'm looking for evolution lists. Are they the same as previous generations?

I haven't played since Crystal but I'm getting back into this. Would like to know when Pikachu tries to evolve and when it learns new moves. Any help would be much appreciated!

Additionally, is there any way to disable the language filter? I wanted to name my first Pokemon (the fire one) "ShitWhiskers" but it wouldn't accept that so I had to settle with "PooWhiskers". It let me name Pikachu "MeatCurtains", and it let me name Squirtle "Moneyshot" but it won't let me use any profanity.

Is it because this can go online? Forgive me for the stupid, immature names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes since you can connect online at any time and at any moment trade Pokemon, Nintendo doesn't want kids to be getting Pokemon with swear word names.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Red Robin Hood posted:

I looked through the OP and a few wikis but didn't find much info. I know X and Y have only been out for a few days but I'm looking for evolution lists. Are they the same as previous generations?

I haven't played since Crystal but I'm getting back into this. Would like to know when Pikachu tries to evolve and when it learns new moves. Any help would be much appreciated!

Additionally, is there any way to disable the language filter? I wanted to name my first Pokemon (the fire one) "ShitWhiskers" but it wouldn't accept that so I had to settle with "PooWhiskers". It let me name Pikachu "MeatCurtains", and it let me name Squirtle "Moneyshot" but it won't let me use any profanity.

Unfortunately you can't de-activate the word filter. You just have to be more creative with your depravity, like with how in B&W2 my Emboar was named 8" Sausage and in X my Chesnaught is named Chesticles :haw:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Red Robin Hood posted:

Pikachu evolves with an item known as a "thunderstone." After Gym4 you can buy them in PokeParis. Be advised, Raichu does not learn any new moves, so don't use the stone until Pikachu has a decent set. He can still learn TMs however.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Does anyone else think that some of the music in this game is incredible? Especially the town themes. The music in the town with the Fairy gym is mind-blowing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Maybe I'll have to give Boomburst Exploud more serious consideration after all.

Oh, does Exploud have Boomburst now?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Anyone know around what levels Greninja gets moves? I stuck a Frogadier in the daycare and forgot how malicious the overwriter is. The first thing I did when getting him back was accidentally chuck my Amulet Coin at some hoard because I had no idea what the move did.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

alcharagia posted:

It's in his Move Reminder list. I checked that personally. He might also learn it on level up.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

alcharagia posted:

Yeah he learns it. 140 BP STAB move. :getin:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's in his Move Reminder list. I checked that personally. He might also learn it on level up.

I'm trying to express how incredibly happy I am that Exploud finally has something awesome and my words are failing me.

gently caress yes.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Pikachu evolves with an item known as a "thunderstone." After Gym4 you can buy them in PokeParis. Be advised, Raichu does not learn any new moves, so don't use the stone until Pikachu has a decent set. He can still learn TMs however.

Then is there any real reason to evolve him?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Picked this game up at last (X.) I'm pretty much the neurotic person the OP describes: I want to Do It Correctly on most fronts, understand the high level poo poo, and generally plumb the available depths of strategy as far as adorable little video game creatures go. Is that sort of thing basically relegated to the post game? I haven't played a Pokemon game since... Crystal maybe? So I'm kind of out on a limb here. Fennekin's going to be my starter though, for sure.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Red Robin Hood posted:

Higher stats all across the board are very worth it. Plus Raichu looks way cooler than Pikachu.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Red Robin Hood posted:

Better stats.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
GTS rules.

I traded my female Squirtle in GTS for a female Charmander. The one I got had Dragon Breath and Dragon Pulse passed down. I'm now breeding an army of Dragon Pulse-Charmanders. :getin:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

alcharagia posted:

I'm trying to express how incredibly happy I am that Exploud finally has something awesome and my words are failing me.

gently caress yes.

Me, too. I used a Whismur all the way through to Exploud in one of the past games and that little guy was a real trooper for me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Red Robin Hood posted:

Raichu rules Pikachu drools.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

HeyItsAyls posted:

Yeah, all the starters I've bred so far have had their normal abilities. I'm wondering if the gender of the non-ditto Poké affects it somehow (I tried a female Durant, but alas, no Truant Durant to troll Wonder Trade with).

Same here. The biggest troll :negative:

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Just bred all six of the starters and a bunch of babies with my Impostor Ditto. Not a single Hidden Ability. So either BS or there's some kind of weird trick to it. Not too mad though, got a bunch of starters to trade and some baby Pokés out of it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

HeyItsAyls posted:

Just bred all six of the starters and a bunch of babies with my Impostor Ditto. Not a single Hidden Ability. So either BS or there's some kind of weird trick to it. Not too mad though, got a bunch of starters to trade and got some baby Pokés out of it.

That did sound too good to be true.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

alcharagia posted:

Raichu rules Pikachu drools.

Raichu got robbed in the Lt. Surge episode.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
When does sligloo evolve? And does it need a special thing to evolve? I thought he evolved at level 50 while it rained so I still had rain dance on joke but he's level 52 now and nothing so far.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dr Pepper posted:

That did sound too good to be true.

It sounded just believable enough - the kind of thing you might have expected Gamefreak to do considering they've made breeding hidden abilities so much easier.

Oh well - once pokemon bank comes out every hidden ability mon that was released will be available. Can't wait to get some iron fist chimchars.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haha man the game made me shed a tear. Was haching dratini because I'm bored and figured someone on wonder trade would get lucky. Accidently wandered into the grass and had a giant sparkle appear and suddenly Articuno. I was pretty blown away but as soon as the chiptune kicked in I felt nostalgic as gently caress. Then it ran :v:. I have no idea why listening to songs from my childhood do this to me.

PonchAxis posted:

When does sligloo evolve? And does it need a special thing to evolve? I thought he evolved at level 50 while it rained so I still had rain dance on joke but he's level 52 now and nothing so far.

I just went to Route 14 where it's constantly raining and evolved it there at 50.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
What times does "night" start? Serebii seems to think that my Amaura evolves at 39 at night so I guess I'm just going to sit on my hands until then since she's at 37 and change.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 16, 2013

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

PonchAxis posted:

Has to be raining in the overworld. Try the route to Glittering Cave, the western city with the second gym, or route 14.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did I mention how great Klefki is? Lysander's Mega Gyrados takes out 2 of my guys so I send in Klefki. This tiny rear end little key ring destroys a giant water dragon :c00lbert:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Schubalts posted:

Raichu got robbed in the Pokemon in general

The Light Ball makes Raichu just a speed upgrade for a severe power drop.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm having the worst luck with breeding.
22 Squirtles, and only 2 are female. And now I'm breeding Charmanders, and even after 12 eggs still no female in sight.
Is there a way to improve the chances?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, I can't seem to run into any Dedenne or Noibats, so I'm breeding a bunch of Scatterbugs to put on Wonder trade. I think the Polar pattern is really pretty and I hope other people think so too!

Also, I caught a modest Ditto in the Pokemon village. :)

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Alakazam absolutely loves having her right hand massaged but gets pissed if I massage her left hand. loving weirdo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

horriblePencilist posted:

22 Squirtles, and only 2 are female. And now I'm breeding Charmanders, and even after 12 eggs still no female in sight.

Incubate the eggs at 86F.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

I gotta ask, what's the obsession with female Pokemon lately? Do they do something special?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Average Bear posted:

I gotta ask, what's the obsession with female Pokemon lately? Do they do something special?

"Lately"? It's always been there since gen 4. Females determine the species of the offspring in breeding.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Average Bear posted:

Female Pokemon are the only way to get egg moves. For non Ditto breeding, the female used in breeding determines the species hatched from the egg, while the male passes down the egg moves.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Ah the pokeball factory, the subjugation of dozens of species is manufactured here!

Edit: "We can't be friends with pokemon without poke balls" No scientist person, you are so wrong.

Stalgren fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 16, 2013

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nessa posted:

So, I can't seem to run into any Dedenne or Noibats, so I'm breeding a bunch of Scatterbugs to put on Wonder trade. I think the Polar pattern is really pretty and I hope other people think so too!

Also, I caught a modest Ditto in the Pokemon village. :)

I had that issue with Noibats. In case you were unaware (like I was) they only show up in the event encounters (when something swoops down on you). So get some repels and look for dark circles.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Female Pokemon are the only way to get egg moves. For non Ditto breeding, the female used in breeding determines the species hatched from the egg, while the male passes down the egg moves.

Oh that makes sense. Male Pokemon and a Ditto can't pass egg moves on then.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Seeing as apparently the worthwhile Pikachu moves are available as TMs... what are the worthwhile Pikachu moves? I'm ready to evolve this adorable motherfucker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I had that issue with Noibats. In case you were unaware (like I was) they only show up in the event encounters (when something swoops down on you). So get some repels and look for dark circles.

Good to know!

• Locked thread