Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

n8r posted:

Try cleaning the seals before you replace them.

If you cut a soft hook out of a milk bottle (think the raptor claw from the first scene in the first Jurassic Park, but with a rounded point) you can slide it up there and clean the seals without disassembly. Also, you can use a cut up sheet of milk jug to center your stator/rotor in the alternator. Basically, very useful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Geirskogul posted:

If you cut a soft hook out of a milk bottle (think the raptor claw from the first scene in the first Jurassic Park, but with a rounded point) you can slide it up there and clean the seals without disassembly. Also, you can use a cut up sheet of milk jug to center your stator/rotor in the alternator. Basically, very useful stuff.

I've had more luck with 2 liter bottles, and with the plastic from bubble packaging. Milk bottles tends to have a surface texture.. and that's never worked for me.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Quick question! I'm not a Harley guy but a coworker is trying to buy a 2007 Sportster 1200. Has about 7K on the clock, pipes, fancy seat, some sort of two tone paint job- kind of mildly foibled out. 4500 dollars sound like a ballpark reasonable price? I told him it sounds fine to me cause I have no idea what a loving Harley is worth, but I figure there's gotta be someone knows into that scene floating around here.

4500 bucks, 6 year old bike, 7,000 miles, mildly tarted up with typical Harley bullshit. Deal?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

PadreScout posted:

Quick question! I'm not a Harley guy but a coworker is trying to buy a 2007 Sportster 1200. Has about 7K on the clock, pipes, fancy seat, some sort of two tone paint job- kind of mildly foibled out. 4500 dollars sound like a ballpark reasonable price? I told him it sounds fine to me cause I have no idea what a loving Harley is worth, but I figure there's gotta be someone knows into that scene floating around here.

4500 bucks, 6 year old bike, 7,000 miles, mildly tarted up with typical Harley bullshit. Deal?

Not a Harley expert either but you are definitely in the ballpark. I see ~5 year old 883's going for around that price, so seems like a pretty good deal.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Vancouver, WA or Vancouver, Canada? I'm assuming Canada since you say "two days through Washington/Oregon" and each state is probably about one day's ride north-south.

What's your destination? California is extremely long, going from north to south could easily take 2 days if you're not riding really hard.

I went from San Francisco to Vancouver, WA last October, in the first week of the month. I took basically the route you specify, I-5 between Vancouver and Eugene, then 101 the rest of the way. I camped pretty much at the CA/OR border each way, right along the coast. I had a great time, but could definitely have been better prepared.

I'll say right off that I had insufficient gear. I had a riding jacket with pretty warm liner, boots, blue jeans, long underwear, a pair of fabric mechanic's gloves, and a pair of bigger gauntleted leather gloves that went over them. Before the end of the trip I also got a thick sweatshirt and one of those neck-warmer things that goes up over your mouth, nose, and ears.

It was drat cold. Leaving SF in the morning was fine, and most of the day going up was great, but by the time I got to Crescent City, it was starting to get cold. The last 70 miles were spent hunched over the gas tank, riding through the ocean mist in the twilight. Camping was also cold, but the absolute worst was the next morning, heading up through the coastal forest for hours before the sun even poked above the mountains (must have been around 9 or so by then). After about 40 miles of the morning trip, I stopped at a store and got a Carhart sweatshirt to wear under my jacket. I needed a balaclava, but couldn't get one until Coos Bay. That helped a lot.

Every morning except the first (leaving SF) was cold and took a long time before I stopped fogging my visor with every breath.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I had a great time, despite my complaining, and would do it again, although September would probably be a better time for it. I also own insulated waterproof riding pants now, which is a much better idea from both a safety and comfort perspective.

So yeah, my recommendations:

* Check out some of that anti-fog poo poo for the visor
* My rear end didn't get too cold, mostly it was the rest of me, so I don't know about the sheepskin
* Are you camping or hoteling? If you've got the money, staying at hotels in say Portland and Crescent City might be nice. Weather will be a lot friendlier once you get to CA if you want to camp. Around the SF area at least, heading 20 miles inland will increase the temperature by 20 degrees or so too, so that's a consideration
* I got a pretty great steak sandwich at the House of Burgess restaurant in Garberville, CA, good enough that I stopped again on the way home, so maybe try that

Hmm that's interesting. I will pack extra warm clothing. I'm going to stay in hostels and motels/etc. My aunt's place is in San Fran so it will be my base when I go back and forth through California.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

dogpower posted:

Hmm that's interesting. I will pack extra warm clothing. I'm going to stay in hostels and motels/etc. My aunt's place is in San Fran so it will be my base when I go back and forth through California.

San Fran .... dude. loving Ride Highway 9. It is goddamned amazing, goes through the big bowl something or another redwoods park. The road is like 80 miles where it isn't straight for ten feet at a time, it's goddamned amazing. Me and my dad took it in a Prius and managed to have fun, on a bike it would be loving heaven.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I've never even heard of this, can you elaborate? I picture just pulling down the dust boot and running the 'claw' around between the tube and the sealing lip, is that what you mean?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would have thought the milk jug was too thick. I've done it with 35mm film though. Kinda works.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You have to use the smooth part from the side, but a 2 liter soda bottle plastic works, too.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to Hawaii for two weeks (one week Oahu, one week Maui) later this year, and I'm thinking of renting a bike for a day or two on each island. Since splitting and filtering is legal where I live, I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist doing it there. How harshly is this enforced by law enforcement there, anyone know?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm going to Hawaii for two weeks (one week Oahu, one week Maui) later this year, and I'm thinking of renting a bike for a day or two on each island. Since splitting and filtering is legal where I live, I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist doing it there. How harshly is this enforced by law enforcement there, anyone know?

Just...don't do it? Surely as an adult you can exert some self control.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
After 20k miles of doing it every day I ride, I'm not sure if it'll be more about self control or habit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Just...don't do it? Surely as an adult you can exert some self control.

I have to check myself to stop filtering when I'm in a car.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You're going there for a holiday, right? Slow down, take in the views...

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Having lived and biked on Oahu I can say that A> You probably won't be pulled over for splitting and B> You will probably get something thrown on you from a car window for doing so.

Imagine the worst traffic you've ever seen, condense it to a small island with one three lane highway, and imagine that everyone is somehow driving two cars simultaneously. So everyone is angry as poo poo and a splitter gets all that hatred put on them.

That's Waikiki/Oahu traffic. My afternoon commute home was 4 miles and it would take an hour + to get home.

Maui I doubt anyone gives a poo poo, it's pretty chill. Just don't speed.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

nullscan posted:

That's Waikiki/Oahu traffic. My afternoon commute home was 4 miles and it would take an hour + to get home.

how did you justify driving 4 mph commuting? are you morbidly obese?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giblet Plus! posted:

I imagine it's a combination of Hawaii being hot and rainy, and not being well suited to pedestrians.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

PadreScout posted:

San Fran .... dude. loving Ride Highway 9. It is goddamned amazing, goes through the big bowl something or another redwoods park. The road is like 80 miles where it isn't straight for ten feet at a time, it's goddamned amazing. Me and my dad took it in a Prius and managed to have fun, on a bike it would be loving heaven.

It is.

Oh, and the park is called Big Basin. You can check out some amazing redwoods there!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Do not leave Hawaii without doing the Hana highway on the slowest possible vehicle you can rent. Seriously, taking a scooter on it will be like going out on an AMA superbike.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have to check myself to stop filtering when I'm in a car.

True for me as well.

After doing it for at least 10 miles out of my 60 mile daily commute for the last 3 years it's pretty much muscle memory when coming up on stopped traffic. Slow down, quick scan of the cars on either side of where you're planning to go, high beam on, shoulder check to see if there is another bike gonna fly up your rear end and gently drift to the center and keep going.

I always start making mental calculations as soon as I see a wall of brake lights, whether on the bike or during the infrequent times where I'm driving my truck.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Giblet Plus! posted:

I'd ride a bicycle or the motorcycle most days, but you sometimes have to take the car brosef.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bugdrvr posted:

True for me as well.

After doing it for at least 10 miles out of my 60 mile daily commute for the last 3 years it's pretty much muscle memory when coming up on stopped traffic. Slow down, quick scan of the cars on either side of where you're planning to go, high beam on, shoulder check to see if there is another bike gonna fly up your rear end and gently drift to the center and keep going.

I always start making mental calculations as soon as I see a wall of brake lights, whether on the bike or during the infrequent times where I'm driving my truck.

Don't use high beam when you're filtering, it makes it harder for cars to judge how far away you are and target fixation on the bright light in their mirrors will make them drift towards you.

Anyway the worst is that when I'm in a car in London I automatically go down the roads that give the best filtering opportunities even though I know the reason they're good for filtering is they tend to be full of traffic lights and stop-start traffic, when I know there are better roads available for cars.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't use high beam when you're filtering, it makes it harder for cars to judge how far away you are and target fixation on the bright light in their mirrors will make them drift towards you.

Anyway the worst is that when I'm in a car in London I automatically go down the roads that give the best filtering opportunities even though I know the reason they're good for filtering is they tend to be full of traffic lights and stop-start traffic, when I know there are better roads available for cars.

Since I don't drive, whenever I've been in the car going through the city with my girlfriend and she's asking what the best route to take, I'd be giving her directions based on riding. "Oh turn here, it's way quicker than taking the other route"... Wall of traffic. Me: "Huh, I don't understand, usually it's much quicker!" :downs:
We've since both learned to ignore my advice. Plus, since she's driving an ambulance now, she's way better at getting around on four wheels than I could ever hope to be!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Whenever I'm in a car with my girlfriend, within about 20 minutes I usually start bitching about how long we've been stuck in stop-start traffic and how I would've been there already if I was on a bike. :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nidhg00670000 posted:

On Maui, rent a 50. You don't need anything bigger than that, the highest speed limit is like 50. They're considered mopeds too so you can use bike lanes or the shoulder or whatever instead of splitting. Ride the 50 to Hana. Its like 25 miles of the twistiest, narrowest road you can imagine - with speeds between 15 and 30mph. Perfect to just pin a 50's throttle and have the most fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Riding in CA, high beam on doubles or triples the number of people who move out of your way.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have what I hope is a simple dumb question. When I'm riding the sv, sometimes I'll hear a fairly loud SPLOIURCH! repeatedly accompanied by the bike wiggling back and forth. the sensation is that of a tire going flat and slipping around, and it gives me such a spook I can't pin down where its coming from other than "below me". This is different from the gas vent whistle, which I haven't really heard much. after a couple minutes it settles back down and rides normally. What is happening? Should I be worried? I have only been riding since Friday so I don't know things.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are you riding over painted lines or tar snakes on the road? They can be a little slippery even when dry.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Is it a "skidding on pavement" sound like when you hear a tire spin on a car? Probably just losing traction on the road and the bike is wiggling as it realigns itself.

e: or your bike is possessed and trying to kill you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The road is flat and fine, nothing that would make it slip. the feeling is completely different from that of the back tire losing traction, and is much much more pronounced of a wiggle in the middle or something.

If its possessed and trying to kill me, its playing the long game through heart failure.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 15, 2013

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I was gonna ask if you had a TL-1000, but nope. SV.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Coydog posted:

a fairly loud SPLOIURCH! repeatedly accompanied by the bike wiggling back and forth. the sensation is that of a tire going flat and slipping around

Are you aiming for squirrels?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Coydog posted:

I have what I hope is a simple dumb question. When I'm riding the sv, sometimes I'll hear a fairly loud SPLOIURCH! repeatedly accompanied by the bike wiggling back and forth. the sensation is that of a tire going flat and slipping around, and it gives me such a spook I can't pin down where its coming from other than "below me". This is different from the gas vent whistle, which I haven't really heard much. after a couple minutes it settles back down and rides normally. What is happening? Should I be worried? I have only been riding since Friday so I don't know things.

Mine makes a similar noise and it sound like the engine backfiring through the induction. They're known for it and May or may not cause a problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

Uhh, check your bearings and tire pressures asap.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

Oh my god dude WHAT ARE YOU DOING to that thing. Are you chopping the throttle when this happens? What I mean is are you letting the throttle off abruptly? It is a v-twin so it will have some decent engine compression. Like Z3n said check the tire pressures and chain. Chain was replaced within the last two years, if anything was suspect on it maybe the master link? Just get a new one and pop it on there? The rear tire keeps air pressure better than the front due to the metal valve stem in the rear, but do keep an eye on the pressures. Keep in mind the back wheel will have special spacers from where the Honda wheel was fit on there, so don't lose them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah that sounds bad. If you can't figure out what it is, I might think about not riding it until you do. Or take it to a shop or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Also sprockets.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

Also sprockets.

Yeah but those sprockets and chain should have less than 1,000 miles on them. Sprockets are steel and chain is gold RK chain I think. Either that or a d.i.d.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That sounds like what happened to me several times, but on my bicycle. The tire went almost entirely flat cause the lovely rubber stem would sometimes let a handful of air out at once. Made a sound kinda like that too, from the tire material pinching together. Even had that flattened slidey/wriggly sensation. I don't know if that could happen on a bike, but it was the first thing your description made me think of.

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Has this bike got a cush drive? Sounds like the sound one might make if it chucked a wobbly.