Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Boing posted:

I haven't really followed the response to Brave New World but does anyone else hate the new Tourism system? It's a more boring way to win a cultural victory than before since Tourism doesn't actually do anything, it just brings you closer to winning the game in a really unfulfilling way. Also it takes ages and is super unfun and gamey. I'm puzzled by why Firaxis did it, since they must have playtested it as an alternate win condition and found it superior in some way, but I can't figure out what.

It does do something - in the lategame it causes fuckery with ideologies. It's a means of screwing over other civs without necessarily going to war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Zilkin posted:

Did you make sure you conquered all the original capital cities?
Yes

Gort posted:

Dunno about the tutorial, but did you turn off domination victory in the setup for the "real" game?

I don't know what it was but when I went into the menu for advanced game settings, everything was checked and accounted for. I tested out another quick game just to see if that had resolved the issue, and it apparently has. Once I took that capital everything worked out nicely.

I have no idea what changed, but thank you for the help.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
What the gently caress is it with barbarians? I'm in the eighteenth century, my army is warring in the nation next to me and BAM there's three barbarian musketmen right in my capital area, gotta pull some units from the war to deal with them and after defeating these savages, three barbarian pikemen appear! I have no loving clue were these bastards came from and they completely pillaged my resources. First Napoleon being an rear end and now these fuckers.

What the hell man. Civ 5 wasn't like this, this is all Brave New World.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unhappiness spawns barbarians in your territory.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unhappiness spawns barbarians in your territory.

More specifically, being at or below -10 happiness is when they start spawning.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Right. Given the phase of the game you indicated it's probably because Napoleon has a different ideology from you and his tourism is dominating you.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
^^^^^^

Well, whoops. Happiness really is a huige problem for me, I've no idea how to keep it effectively upo. Any tips?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

President Ark posted:

It does do something - in the lategame it causes fuckery with ideologies. It's a means of screwing over other civs without necessarily going to war.

Also being a familiar culture brings in more science through trade routes, and makes the turns of dissent and population loss when you take a city smaller. It actually does a lot of things.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ManOfTheYear posted:

^^^^^^

Well, whoops. Happiness really is a huige problem for me, I've no idea how to keep it effectively upo. Any tips?

Burn lovely cities you conquer, build happiness buildings, use religious buildings and check your ideology. Also, building shitloads of cities tanks your happiness as well.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Tourism does plenty, especially after this patch. Your level of influence with other civs gives you a lot of benefits, on top of having the potential to completely destroy the happiness of civs of opposing ideologies and flip cities.

I agree. The tourism-culture battle is actually one of the things I enjoy most about BNW; flipping unhappy, Freedom-rejecting, 21 population Tiwanaku from Pachacuti over to the Hunnic Autocracy just for it to be razed is brutally hilarious.

ManOfTheYear posted:

^^^^^^

Luxury resources are quite a boon (4 happiness for each unique one), so try to trade for any you don't possess with extras of those that you do have. All the ideologies have happiness boosting tenets as well. Otherwise, just build zoos, circuses, etc. & win the favor of mercantile city-states.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Chevalier Cat posted:

Luxury resources are quite a boon (4 happiness for each unique one), so try to trade for any you don't possess with extras of those that you do have. All the ideologies have happiness boosting tenets as well. Otherwise, just build zoos, circuses, etc. & win the favor of mercantile city-states.

If I have 2 or more of the same luxury, will it always give me +4 happiness? I had like six wime tiles but my happiness sucked, but when I traded some for gold, it instantly went up.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ManOfTheYear posted:

If I have 2 or more of the same luxury, will it always give me +4 happiness? I had like six wime tiles but my happiness sucked, but when I traded some for gold, it instantly went up.

By that you mean you traded wine for the luxury resource gold, and not for treasury gold I'm assuming.

But yes, the point of the luxuries is to trade them, and to force you to have a reason to trade with other empires. You get +4 happiness for each unique luxury. Surplus luxuries are useless unless traded.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

Surplus luxuries are useless unless traded.

Oooohhhh, well alright. I had more wine than water and I'm 100% sure that every person in my civilization was completely shitfaced, but I had no idea it wouldn't make them happy. Thanks man!

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yes, as long as you have one remaining instance of that luxury resource (i.e., 1 wine, 1 silver, 1 truffle, etc.) you will receive the happiness bonus. Any excess is just superfluous & should be traded.

edit: Looks like this advice is superfluous!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

You know the warmonger penalty is larger based on how many cities your opponent has right?

How does that work?

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
I wonder if a unit customization thing like the one used in Kohan would work well in Civilization.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Chevalier Cat posted:

I agree. The tourism-culture battle is actually one of the things I enjoy most about BNW; flipping unhappy, Freedom-rejecting, 21 population Tiwanaku from Pachacuti over to the Hunnic Autocracy just for it to be razed is brutally hilarious.

They'll look up and whisper "save us, Attila" and I'll whisper "no".

quote:

How does that work?

The more cities they have the smaller the penalty.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Hang on, tourism flips cities? All this time I was annoyed that tourism didn't flip cities because I never saw it in any of the tooltips or expansion notes or anything like that. I loved that element of the culture battle in Civ 4 - how does it work this time around?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Boing posted:

Hang on, tourism flips cities? All this time I was annoyed that tourism didn't flip cities because I never saw it in any of the tooltips or expansion notes or anything like that. I loved that element of the culture battle in Civ 4 - how does it work this time around?
Well it can't flip cities until both you and your opponent adopt Ideologies. Basically, given having differing Ideologies, if you have overwhelming Tourism output plus a ton of surplus :) and they have -20 :mad: or lower plus very bad Culture output ("defense"), their cities will randomly flip to your control peacefully.

Actually, you might not even need a lot of surplus :), but there are a couple tenets that increase your Tourism pressure and I think enemy civ :mad: as well if your surplus :) is higher than theirs, so it couldn't hurt.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I don't remember having any cities flip to me often if ever but I have forced Berlin to switch to Freedom a lot.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
The funniest thing that ever happened to me culturewise was when I was playing Shaka. Hiwatahi swapped from Freedom to Atuocracy every turn for like 6 turns, then on the sixth turn it gave me a city.

It was quite weird.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I've seen city flipping twice since BNW came out- once in the first game I played and once a couple weeks ago. I actually wish the mechanic came into play a bit more often, but the happiness bonus of the AI really prevents it from appearing with any regularity outside a cut-throat human v human game.

I wish secession existed in a meaningful capacity too, but that's more an 'alternate history simulator' wish than a gameplay wish.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Bremen posted:

Well, so much for the current Goon Multiplayer game. All the plotting and betrayal will be lost, like tears in the rain. Time to patch.

We were just about to hit nukes, too.

I tried a save game I had and it worked. We should try it next time before we give up.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh in that game I posted earlier km starved for happiness and gold and even hammers in my capital. I am doing well on science but god dam if I'm not stuck in mediocrity here.

To top it off I'm Genghis Khan and I have no one to rage against.

Edit: It really should give you a warning that its your last resource before trading it away. I have so many trade deals going on I end up inadvertently shipping off my last resource.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 16, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, I have a cool new thing I found on the internet to show off. As I mentioned before in the thread, I was having pitboss troubles. (The solution was that Civ V pitboss loving sucks, and you can't launch the stand alone server and the game at the same time. So either leave Civ V on all day for that one game, or buy a second computer.) Which made me turn to alternative routes.

I found this http://multiplayerrobot.com/ It's a program that back ups / downloads/ automatically sends Hotseat Save Files from one person to the next in a game. It essentially allows you to "Play by E-mail" without any of the "E-mail." I've found it both incredibly awesome and incredibly simple to use. I happened to have everyone I wanted to play with on steam at the time and had the files sent out and the game started in 10 minutes.

It uses your Steam Profile to send notifications and stuff around and it's a pretty chill program. They let you Host 2 games for free, and ask you to buy more slots if you want to play more games. It kind of sucks, but it's like $5 for 5 slots, and $15 for unlimited. If you're using the app that much, they probably earned the money anyways.

E: Holy poo poo I hope I don't come off as a shill. It's just a cool thing that looked cool I thought you guys would like.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah it's a pretty good service, we have a goon game going in that already. If anyone else is up for PBEM games I'm happy to host one or two more.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Still no mention of getting the AI to be 'Active' in Multiplayer, though. :( It'll DoW if bribed, and it'll moan if you build close to it, but otherwise it's just a drone building things, it's really frustrating to see it be so passive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Turtlicious posted:

Hey guys, I have a cool new thing I found on the internet to show off. As I mentioned before in the thread, I was having pitboss troubles. (The solution was that Civ V pitboss loving sucks, and you can't launch the stand alone server and the game at the same time. So either leave Civ V on all day for that one game, or buy a second computer.) Which made me turn to alternative routes.

I found this http://multiplayerrobot.com/ It's a program that back ups / downloads/ automatically sends Hotseat Save Files from one person to the next in a game. It essentially allows you to "Play by E-mail" without any of the "E-mail." I've found it both incredibly awesome and incredibly simple to use. I happened to have everyone I wanted to play with on steam at the time and had the files sent out and the game started in 10 minutes.

It uses your Steam Profile to send notifications and stuff around and it's a pretty chill program. They let you Host 2 games for free, and ask you to buy more slots if you want to play more games. It kind of sucks, but it's like $5 for 5 slots, and $15 for unlimited. If you're using the app that much, they probably earned the money anyways.

E: Holy poo poo I hope I don't come off as a shill. It's just a cool thing that looked cool I thought you guys would like.

Don't worry, you're not a mere shill, other people have pre-empted you and have utilised it to great effect!

I'd be down with another goongame, the current one is running at 3days/6people, and that's depressingly slow. I've always found PBEMs work best with 4-5 players, that tends to give everyone a window of opportunity to play.

If you can get someone to set aside a server PC for Pitboss, then it's a way to put together games with upwards of 18 players. Obviously GMR isn't a good alternative for that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

I'd be down with another goongame, the current one is running at 3days/6people, and that's depressingly slow. I've always found PBEMs work best with 4-5 players, that tends to give everyone a window of opportunity to play.

Yeah, it actually seems to be getting slower. Ideally it could have run on a 24 hour cycle but some of the player windows were overlapping a lot so it often lapses into a 48 cycle, which I can deal with, but at the moment it's somehow turning to a 72 hour cycle. 6-player games had worked for me in the past but I think it depends on how well those windows slot together.

Anyway, I'll host another game tonight then, and let's aim for 5 players max. If there are more well we can always set up another :colbert:

(also, we should probably pick Civs rather than go for random, since a Medieval start can really screw some uniques over... unless we just start ancient)

Edit: I'm also up for Pitboss but I don't know my way around that so I'll let someone else set that one up. How does Pitboss support as many as 18 players though? Surely the game will be just as slow as if it were GMR? Am I misunderstanding how Pitboss works?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pitboss lets you set up a dedicated server for a game. It's like one giant super-slow simultaneous turn game. That means anyone can log in at any time, and play their turn. Once everyone ends turn, the turn rolls. Or you can set the timer for whatever period of time, if it runs out, then tough luck, your turn gets skipped.

(This is all from my Civ4 knowledge, and it's actually incomplete).

What I don't know is if a Pitboss server ties up your Steamname, you'll have to ask the CFCers.

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009
Greatest start ever...

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

This might be a little outside the scope of the thread but what the hell. Yesterday I made a shortcut to load up one of my Civ4 mods without going through the base game. Today I can't use the shortcut because it's now an invalid mod directory. As far as I can tell absolutely nothing has changed with my computer and I don't know why it's no longer working.

Why can't mods just work?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Supersheep posted:

Greatest start ever...

This is a good example of a start where I'd take a couple turns to move my settler into a better position, and I hardly ever do that.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Chamale posted:

This is a good example of a start where I'd take a couple turns to move my settler into a better position, and I hardly ever do that.

That screenshot aside, there are a bunch of situations where you can't really tell much about your spot until much later in the game.

I had a morocco pangea game, where I settled my second city on the nearest coast I could find, which was to the north. It wasn't until I had a ship made that I discovered that the northern coastline of this pangea was effectively a giant crescent shape, with the tips on both sides just touching the ice and making passage around to the rest of the continent utterly impossible.

Also I just finished a Venice game where I eventually discovered that I was right at the end of very long peninsula, with no other civ remotely close by, in the corner of the map and a vast ocean in one direction. I got around it by buying city states that were nowhere near my capital, and did a reasonable job of managing a geographically dispersed civilisation, but it was still a pain in the rear end that Venice itself couldn't directly trade with people until well until the late game.

Though I'm probably bringing this on myself because I'm a sucker for Large/Huge maps.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NZAmoeba posted:

That screenshot aside, there are a bunch of situations where you can't really tell much about your spot until much later in the game.

I had a morocco pangea game, where I settled my second city on the nearest coast I could find, which was to the north. It wasn't until I had a ship made that I discovered that the northern coastline of this pangea was effectively a giant crescent shape, with the tips on both sides just touching the ice and making passage around to the rest of the continent utterly impossible.

Also I just finished a Venice game where I eventually discovered that I was right at the end of very long peninsula, with no other civ remotely close by, in the corner of the map and a vast ocean in one direction. I got around it by buying city states that were nowhere near my capital, and did a reasonable job of managing a geographically dispersed civilisation, but it was still a pain in the rear end that Venice itself couldn't directly trade with people until well until the late game.

Though I'm probably bringing this on myself because I'm a sucker for Large/Huge maps.

Trade routes should really scale with map size better. I've had maps where my capital city cannot trade with any city-states or other civilizations until late in the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You know what I hate? There's basically no "good solution" if you're at war with a city-state. You can conquer them, but you're stuck with a warmongering penalty as well as a city with no wonders and possibly no useful resources which you cannot raze, tanking your happiness.

I'd like to be able to liberate city-states I capture. The effect would be zero influence for everyone, and setting influence to 60 for the liberator (which would then decay for a 30-turn friendship).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I always thought there should be a military option for forcing a regime change.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

You know what I hate? There's basically no "good solution" if you're at war with a city-state. You can conquer them, but you're stuck with a warmongering penalty as well as a city with no wonders and possibly no useful resources which you cannot raze, tanking your happiness.

I'd like to be able to liberate city-states I capture. The effect would be zero influence for everyone, and setting influence to 60 for the liberator (which would then decay for a 30-turn friendship).

So you capture a city-state that is allied to a Civ you're at war with, and immediately liberate it for ally status? Sounds reasonable, and they ought to work it into a general secession mechanic. I like the idea of capturing a city with a ton of oil from a hostile neighbour, granting it independance to shed some unhappiness, and getting sweet oil deals

edit: was going to say "whatup Kuwait" but that probably misses too many nuances of Kuwait's history)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 16, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, I always thought there should be a military option for forcing a regime change.

Operation: Jerusalem Freedom :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

The excessive reach of the polar ice caps has always irritated me on Pangaea maps, and I keep the ingame editor mod handy to remove the ice and allow free naval passage around the continent.

• Locked thread