Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

What kinds of rice do people prefer? I cook and eat a lot of rice, and am nearing the end of my 15 pound bag of jasmine rice, not sure what brand but it's been pretty good. I'm looking at ordering another big bag and just want some tasty recommendations from people who know more about it than me.

It will be used mostly in various mexican dishes and sometimes stir fries & thai curries. I'm looking at various recipes for spanish rice and most of them call for just long grain white rice, which would work but I'm wondering if there are better options.

I generally have a few rices on hand at most times. Basmati, jasmine, calrose, and arborio can do pretty much anything you'd want to do. I'll buy bomba or calasparra if I really want to impress with paella but arborio works for most paella and risotto duty. Calrose for most Chinese/Japanese applications. Jasmine for south east asian stuff. Basmati for middle eastern and indian stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

Got a primer on making brown rice? I've been trying lately and it's always either crunchy or mush and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I looked up cooking times and water quantities and it seems like I'm doing everything correctly.
I put two cups of water and one cup of brown rice (and salt) in a pot, bring it to a boil, turn the heat down as low as it goes, cover the pot, wait ~50 minutes, turn the heat off, wait a little while longer (10 to 15 minutes?) and then it's done. How much heat and time it takes probably depends on your stove - some get so hot you're probably never going to have much luck unless you get a flame tamer or just stick a cast iron pan on there then rest the pot on it or something. You could get a rice cooker and that would probably fix it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My workhorses are a generic long-grain white rice and an equally generic brown rice, but I like to keep a bunch of varieties around. Arborio, Thai broken rice, jasmine, long-grain red rice, and "forbidden" rice. I bought a packet of that super crazy long wild Canadian rice that's gathered by First Nations people in canoes, but it's really expensive and I've been saving it for a special meal.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Thanks for the tips on apples everyone!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Calrose forever unless I'm making risotto.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Isn't calrose a Japanese/Korean thing? My Chinese (Cantonese) friends seem to only eat long grain.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Got a primer on making brown rice? I've been trying lately and it's always either crunchy or mush and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I looked up cooking times and water quantities and it seems like I'm doing everything correctly.

TychoCelchuuu's advice was pretty much spot-on, but I've also had luck with baking it http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html, as well as pressure cooking it. The baking recipe says to use a specific baking dish, but it's worked with a regular oven-proof glass bowl for me. The pressure cooker way would probably depend on which type you have, so consult the manual if you want to try that out.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
A 20lb bag of forbidden rice for $10 from the Chinese market :whatup:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What is forbidden rice?

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
It's just blackish purplish rice that's similar to brown rice, nothing fancy. It's taking off as a wonderfood/foodie darling and the price has been ratcheting up accordingly, so this is my last bag of goth rice for a while.

loving foodies. First shank bones, then pork bellies, now rice. Stop making the neato offcuts expensive!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

slingshot effect posted:

It's just blackish purplish rice that's similar to brown rice, nothing fancy. It's taking off as a wonderfood/foodie darling and the price has been ratcheting up accordingly, so this is my last bag of goth rice for a while.

loving foodies. First shank bones, then pork bellies, now rice. Stop making the neato offcuts expensive!

I know, I enjoy elderberries around here but the prices for like jams, jellies and even the juice has gone up in price around here, and seems to continue to raise every so often.

Not to mention the fact that here where I live a lot of foody food is non-existent because there is no demand for it here, but oh no there are demands for like 5 aisles of junk food (One for Chips, one for crackers, one for candy, 2 aisles of soda) and no one here really cooks so its hard to find good looking fresh food (not to mention the farmers market here is all but fairly pathetic.)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

slingshot effect posted:

The woman bought a large bag of black rice last month, I didn't know it was FORBIDDEN. Has a nice nutty brown rice flavor to it.

Making rice is voodoo/black magic to me. I have a basic method that works, but I know a lot of people who have different methods that they swear by. My GF always toasts the dry rice first, a Japanese guy I know is obsessive about washing and rinsing the the rice off first, some people pressure cook... I dunno, they all seem to work fine to me.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I know, I enjoy elderberries around here but the prices for like jams, jellies and even the juice has gone up in price around here, and seems to continue to raise every so often.

Do you live near an IKEA by any chance? Because they sell elderberry jam and juice concentrate pretty cheaply. Plus they have all their fun Swedish holiday stuff right now :)

Re: rice chat, I like forbidden rice well enough, but I don't understand the hype. It stains everything it touches, and I think the flavor is too strong for a lot of applications. I buy it at the big Korean grocery, though, so the price is still crazy low.

I love that store. During the rice shortage a couple of years ago when the generic grocery stores were enforcing purchase limits on little bitty bags of rice, the Lotte was still selling fifty pound bags.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Making rice is voodoo/black magic to me. I have a basic method that works, but I know a lot of people who have different methods that they swear by. My GF always toasts the dry rice first, a Japanese guy I know is obsessive about washing and rinsing the the rice off first, some people pressure cook... I dunno, they all seem to work fine to me.

What annoys me is I have a rice cooker, and I have no trouble making perfect white rice in it or on the stove, but brown rice has defeated me every time. It's loving rice it shouldn't be this hard.

I'll try Tycho's method next time.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

RazorBunny posted:

Do you live near an IKEA by any chance? Because they sell elderberry jam and juice concentrate pretty cheaply. Plus they have all their fun Swedish holiday stuff right now :)

Nah the closest IKEA is like 200 miles away and not worth it, I go to either an Elderberry Farm where a friend works at or I go to a local discount pharm that has em for a (fairly) reasonable price. I might check the local farmers mart see if they have them at a good price.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

Grand Fromage posted:

The markets here are full of daikons. I don't think I've ever had one that wasn't pickled. What would one do with fresh daikon?

I'm not sure where you are, so I'm not sure what's feasible for you, but:

Kkagdugi -- basically, daikon kimchi. It's amazing, though I suppose that counts as pickled.

Daikon oroshi -- it's weird, and I haven't really found many uses for it. The best use I can think of is to tame the gaminess of horse sashimi. Though I guess you could use it to tame venison if that's easier for you to find.

Oden -- daikon in a broth or stew is AMAZING when it still has a tiny little bit of al dente to it, but the stock has mellowed it out completely. Also, it's not harsh like a red radish when completely raw, either, so no worries on that end.

And, due to the lack of radish-y harshness -- crudites. It's softer than most raw veg, but could work well if cut thick/short enough.

Or, in my case -- I couldn't find any jicama, and daikon was a pretty much perfect substitute for it when making pico de gallo.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you have a rice cooker? 3 rice cooker cups, and enough water filled to the 4 cup line works perfectly every time. If not, soak the brown rice in cold water overnight. Then, cook with the ratio of water you're comfortable with (I like 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup rice) for 20 minutes. It'll be done to perfection.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dino. posted:

Do you have a rice cooker? 3 rice cooker cups, and enough water filled to the 4 cup line works perfectly every time. If not, soak the brown rice in cold water overnight. Then, cook with the ratio of water you're comfortable with (I like 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup rice) for 20 minutes. It'll be done to perfection.

Yeah, I do. I've tried every permutation I could find online, soaking, not soaking, whatever. All comes out bad. Mine is a bare bones Korean rice cooker though, so I doubt it's designed to do anything but short grain sticky white rice (which it does quite well).

Good opportunity for a related question, I see the specific term "rice cooker cups" used sometimes. What does that mean? I just use a regular measuring cup when I'm doing rice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The cups that come with rice cookers are smaller than a standard cup measurement, it's approximately 3/4 of a cup.

Also, barebones rice cookers are only designed to cook white rice, brown rice generally needs longer cooking time

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So what are some good tomato/tomatillo cultivars for making Italian sauces or Mexican/Tex-Mex salsas (both red and green varieties)?

I'm thinking about planting some tomatoes and I'd like to know what kinds I'd get the most use out of.

EDIT: Also where do I go to learn how to dry stuff? I wanna dry me up some chili peppers and poo poo! :mrgw:

Tomatillos are just tomatillos. There are only 2 or 3 varieties out there, and one is a novelty purple skinned one. (Why would I want that mucking up my verde sauce?) They are big, bushy things that need lots of space and sun.

As far as cooking tomatoes go, grow San Marzanos and/or Amish Paste. The SM's are a bit prone to blossom end rot, so use calcium frequently. They are also a true paste tomato--dry and mealy. Strictly for cooking, totally gross fresh. AP's are heavy producers with big meaty tomatoes that I think are better for cooking/fresh salsa, but can be eaten fresh in a pinch. They are much less dry than the SM's. The plants get very big and leggy--I recommend a trellis.

I dry my chillis in the oven, set to warm, on a baking sheet. You could also give a food dehydrator a whirl.

Come chat in the gardening thread if you want to grow a thing. :j:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

The cups that come with rice cookers are smaller than a standard cup measurement, it's approximately 3/4 of a cup.

That explains my confusion, neither of the ones I've had came with a cup.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Drink and Fight posted:

Calrose forever unless I'm making risotto.

I only eat Calrose. I grew up eating Calrose, will eat Calrose forever.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I only eat Calrose. I grew up eating Calrose, will eat Calrose forever.

You keep saying that so I finally had to google it. OHK, it's generic medium grain rice called calrose because it's from California.

Down here in Australia generic rice is long grain or medium grain and sold under the 'Sunrice' brand. It's what I grew up with, but let me just say I didn't have rice (or any cooking sauces either), much at all until I moved out of home anyway.

That being said, I use basmati a lot (curries), jasmine a lot (Thai, chinese stir fries), and aborio a lot (risotto, sushi)

I really need to use brown rice, but like GF, I'm afraid to cook it. I don't see it at the Indian or Asian grocery shops I do most of my shopping at anyway. All I see are small packs at local normal supermarkets at high prices, so I keep putting it off.

E: OK, the Sunrice brand medium grain rice here is calrose.
It's my least favourite and used rice to be honest. I'd probably use it for paella, and I think my mother used it for rice gruel/pudding when I was a kid (maybe that's why I don't like it?)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 15, 2013

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
Is butternut squash skin edible/good? I'm making curry so it will be simmered for a while.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Otm Shank posted:

Is butternut squash skin edible/good? I'm making curry so it will be simmered for a while.

When I roast it my fiancee eats the skin too. The flavor isn't terrible but I don't like the texture of it so I pass on that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've eaten it before, so it's definitely edible but it's not great, texture-wise. The older the squash is the less good the skin will be, I think.

e;fb

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Make sure your squash hasn't been coated with wax, too. Some processors will apply fruit wax to winter squash to help prevent bruising. It's edible, but kind of funky.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm looking for that $100-200 price range ideally for food per head with maybe another $100 on drinks split between me and a friend at the higher end.

Cross everything else off your list, go to The French Laundry, die happy.

(for the other coast, EMP)

Fo3 posted:

I really need to use brown rice, but like GF, I'm afraid to cook it. I don't see it at the Indian or Asian grocery shops I do most of my shopping at anyway. All I see are small packs at local normal supermarkets at high prices, so I keep putting it off.

My wife makes me eat brown rice, because she hates freedom. Cooking it by absorbtion is the same process as Jasmine or Basmati, but with 1.5x the water and triple the time.

I pressure cook the hell out of it, because gently caress waiting an hour for rice. 15 mins and you are done. For bonus laziness, freeze a stack of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I miss jasmine and basmati. A very small bag of basmati rice where I live in Korea is like $15.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I just purchased babby's first vintage Griswold pan (1930's era), and I need some suggestions for building up the seasoning. Bacon bacon bacon?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If it already has some seasoning:
1a Cook with fat/oil
1b Repeat 1a until you die of a heart attack

That's about it.

If it has no seasoning:
2a Wipe entire pan thinly with oil, bake in the oven for an hour at 300-500°F, let cool to room temp
2b Repeat a couple more times
3 Do 1a and 1b

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 16, 2013

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I have some ricotta cheese left over from making ravioli. I have no idea what else I can use it for. Any suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make a pizza and plonk some blobs on there.

Huh. Plonk is apparently a real word.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I bought a jar of onion marmalade and it says on the jar it's "great with cheeses". But what kind of cheeses? I have no idea :( How do I eat this marmalade helllppp

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I would eat that with some mature chedd, maybe gruyere, or smear that one some good triple cream brie

Goat cheese would be nice, manchego, etc. Basically smear it on everything and shove it in your mouth. Or even just spoon it in.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

jkk posted:

I bought a jar of onion marmalade and it says on the jar it's "great with cheeses". But what kind of cheeses? I have no idea :( How do I eat this marmalade helllppp

Cover a small wheel of brie with the marmalade. I mean, COVER it - really slop it on there. Then wrap it in puff pastry and bake to make a brie en croute. Serve with a side of mixed greens with a nice vinaigrette.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

Grand Fromage posted:

That explains my confusion, neither of the ones I've had came with a cup.

It seems you're probably in Korea, so, rice cookers tend to use the Japanese version of a cup. It's more or less the same as an American cup, but not quite.

Metric Cup (UK, CA, AU, etc) = 250ml
US Cup (traditional) = 236ml
US Cup (legal -- basically the unit used for nutrition labeling) = 240ml
Imperial Cup = 284ml
Japanese Cup = 200ml

The Japanese cup, called go (合) is probably what is also used in Korea. Though, it again gets more confusing with traditional units in that go is a division of a different unit, and by figuring out the volume of the original unit, you end up with a go being about 180ml. But then it's all just been simplified for modern usage to be 200ml.

More or less.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Sjonkel posted:

I have some ricotta cheese left over from making ravioli. I have no idea what else I can use it for. Any suggestions?

Ricotta pie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here's something I've been wondering for a while. In Mastering the Art of French Cooking, it seems like Julia Child recommends overcooking all the vegetables. Cauliflower should be boiled "for 9 to 12 minutes... It should be tender but retain the merest suggestion of crunchiness at the core." Now, as far as I can tell, if you boil cauliflower for 9 to 12 minutes, there's not going to be the merest suggestion of crunchiness at the core. It's basically going to be mush. To fully cook Brussels sprouts takes 10 to 12 minutes, she says, and broccoli florets should be boiled 5 minutes (stems 10 minutes) if you're going to blanche and later finish them, and 8 to 10 minutes (13 to 15 for the stems) if you want them fully done.

Do I just have different tastes than Julia Child (and, perhaps, the French? I haven't exactly eaten a lot of traditional French food in my life). Was the French approach pre-nouvelle cuisine really just "overcook everything then add butter and cream, because who cares what your vegetables taste like as long as you add enough butter and cream?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It wasn't really to overcook vegetables as much as it was to cook them past the point where they gave off a bitter taste or aroma. I don't know. I don't enjoy mushiness in anything except mashed potato pancakes or in certain delicious Indian dishes. But you're probably right about the oils and butter/cream, too.

Saveur.com posted:

...I phoned Dr. Keith Harris, assistant professor of food science at North Carolina State University,
to see if he could shed light on that elusive vegetal sweetness that comes with long cooking. "It's true that when vegetables, especially cruciferous vegetables, are cooked, the damage to the plant's tissue brings about reactions between compounds that are usually kept separate," he said—hence the sulfuric aroma. But, he emphasized, if you continue to cook these foods, "at a certain point the aroma will dissipate, and you'll end up with the flavor compounds left in the plant, including its sugars—especially if it's cooked and served in a way that the sugars aren't poured out with the cooking water."