Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Leninboarrir posted:

I once failed a presentation in college (we did weekly presentations about material we had covered during the previous week) because my partner spent the whole week playing HvZ and did no work.

Is he the same type of person that plays competitive assassin on campus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Is he the same type of person that plays competitive assassin on campus?

It's usually the type of person who likes to sperg out about their equipment and invest in hundreds of dollars in nerf and nerf-like products as well as PVC and other tools for modding.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Hell, Humans vs. Zombies totally owns up to the description of "tag with nerf guns" and is completely straight up about it.

sounds like the kind of chap to wear gunnar optics to a dorm hall video game tournament and storm off furious if they lost.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

b0red posted:

sounds like the kind of chap to wear gunnar optics to a dorm hall video game tournament and storm off furious if they lost.

No, he would yell at the "ref" about somebody cheating and work himself up into a lather about it until he's in tears, then ineffectually slam a door or kick something and hurt his foot - only then does he storm off furious.

five minutes later sheepishly returns because he really has no other place to go

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Do you, for whatever reason, want to go to that Klingon Christmas Carol play mentioned earlier, but do you live too far away to drive there? There's now a KickStarter for the exact same production, except it's to be performed in Ohio.

When a pitch video's title card fades into a phone-camera recorded talking head, you almost know for sure you're dealing with an ideas guy. In his 15 minute long video, he manages to show exactly 0 seconds of gameplay, concept art, or even any of the other people on his development team. All he has to share with the world is his vision of what a great video game should be like. Not surprisingly his insights are not very profound, considering he spends a full minute talking about how your characters can wear clothes and another minute on how his game will have a weather system that can both hinder or help you as a player. How? He doesn't say. But he does say that all of his backers can decide these things for him by providing feedback.

He wants 200,000 pounds for his brilliant game.

On an entirely different note, this lady sang a duet with her cat. Her KickStarter is surprisingly good, her pitch video is well-edited, her goal isn't unrealistic, and she can actually sing. I'm not posting it here to mock it, I just think it's a little bit silly and don't know where else to post it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Has anyone seen the Star Trek Continues fan series? Fans doing something with respect to the show is cool, but some of the rewards are just crazy, especially since a lot of them are stand alone tiers. Wanna talk Skype talk a actress who's best known from another fan project? 1,000 dollars. And since were feeling generous, we'll throw in a cast memeber of your choice following you on twitter. For one year.

Dr. Gene Dango MD has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Oct 16, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Has anyone seen the Star Trek Continues fan series? Fans doing something with respect to the show is cool, but some of the rewards are just crazy, especially since a lot of them are stand alone tiers. Wanna talk Skype talk a actress who's best known from another fan project? 1,000 dollars. And since were feeling generous, we'll throw in a cast memeber of your choice following you on twitter. For one year.

Wow. Grant Imahara from Mythbusters is Mr. Sulu. Mythbusters must not be paying the bills.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
The hit youtube short, Bee and Puppycat now has a kickstarter with a 600k goal!

Normally I wouldn't think of posting this here, but there's two big issues with it. They're only animating 6 short 6 minute cartoons to be aired, which comes to barely a half hour in content. 500k is pretty understandable since other studios have asked similar amounts. The real bullshit is here:

quote:

After pre-production, we'll send all those assets to an international studio where dozens of artists will draw every element for every frame, layout, key pose, animate, in-between, ink and paint, and, finally, composite. The animation then returns to sunny Burbank, CA, where Natasha and her team will give everything a good look and recommend changes. The overseas studio will make those changes and, after a little back and forth, will deliver the final animation.

They're asking for 600k so they can pay another studio to create the shorts for them using traditional media when even Disney doesn't make 2d anymore. According to them it's about 80k per 6 minutes of outsourced animation (or $222 per second).

You also have to pay at least $35 to get the digital downloads of the shorts when they're released.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
There's nothing inherently bad about this but the name: A Night Of Graphic Design Straight Talk and this picture are hilarious to me.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Normally I wouldn't think of posting this here, but there's two big issues with it. They're only animating 6 short 6 minute cartoons to be aired, which comes to barely a half hour in content. 500k is pretty understandable since other studios have asked similar amounts. The real bullshit is here:

They're asking for 600k so they can pay another studio to create the shorts for them using traditional media when even Disney doesn't make 2d anymore. According to them it's about 80k per 6 minutes of outsourced animation (or $222 per second).

You also have to pay at least $35 to get the digital downloads of the shorts when they're released.

Also they're really laying on the sales pitch of "studios HATE us because the main character's a girl. Smash the patriarchy, give us money!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Animation is traditionally very expensive to produce. Most routine television cartoon animation costs about $1500 to produce one minute of animation, while feature films are about $80,000 to 1 million dollars depending on the quality of the work.

For crowdfunded animation projects, "Bee and Puppycat" is probably about average when it comes to cost: Michael Gagne's Story Of Rex had a goal of $15,000 for a one-minute short (he got $60k and is producing a four-minute short with a trailer that has 30-seconds of new animation), and Masaaki Yuasa's "Kick-Heart" cost about $150,000 for a ten minute short.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
When they say "ink" and "paint", those are general animation terminology and do not mean physical ink and physical paint.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Verdugo posted:

Wow. Grant Imahara from Mythbusters is Mr. Sulu. Mythbusters must not be paying the bills.

I thought you were joking at first, but wow. Yeah I find that sort of sad too. I mean the set looks like it was pretty well done, but it's still just a fan fiction thing.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also they're really laying on the sales pitch of "studios HATE us because the main character's a girl. Smash the patriarchy, give us money!"

You're stretching it at best.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Verdugo posted:

Wow. Grant Imahara from Mythbusters is Mr. Sulu. Mythbusters must not be paying the bills. Grant Imahara, noted roboticist with a tv presence, must be a huge dork.

FIFY

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's an illustration of how you can customize the visuals for the powers.

How isn't every superhero in this game going to be penis costumed ejaculator powered?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For all your quality, professional quidditch brooms, hoops, and team merch, check out https://www.petersonsbrooms.com

World Cup Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aamjTZV51Q

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm starting to understand why Voldemort wanted to destroy us

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

My High School had a Muggle Quidditch team and in all the matches I saw (one), the only people who had brooms were the people who actually chased the Snitch, which kind of makes sense because the Snitch is a dude in a yellow shirt not a tiny magical orb and if the players chasing the Snitch weren't hampered by brooms it would be way too easy for them to catch the Snitch.

Plus Snitches would get stitches

Zybourne Clock posted:

On an entirely different note, this lady sang a duet with her cat. Her KickStarter is surprisingly good, her pitch video is well-edited, her goal isn't unrealistic, and she can actually sing. I'm not posting it here to mock it, I just think it's a little bit silly and don't know where else to post it.

Goddamnit goons forget hot dogs. High energy cat pop needs to be a thing. You all know what to do

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Oct 16, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ChocNitty posted:

For all your quality, professional quidditch brooms, hoops, and team merch, check out https://www.petersonsbrooms.com

World Cup Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aamjTZV51Q

The players on the field in that video are actually skipping instead of walking. Is that more effective in this "sport" somehow?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ThatPazuzu posted:

There's nothing inherently bad about this but the name: A Night Of Graphic Design Straight Talk and this picture are hilarious to me.

Without context I would have thought he'd be the kinda person who beats up graphic designers for being "fags"

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

The players on the field in that video are actually skipping instead of walking. Is that more effective in this "sport" somehow?

You'd walk funny holding a broomstick between your legs too.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You have a very bright imagination, because nowhere in the video do they say anything like that. They want to make a cartoon series that stays true to the author's original intent. I know very little about the film industry, but what I do know is that by the time a movie/TV series/cartoon is released, it's been focused grouped and rewritten to such a degree that it's almost indistinguishable from the source material. Mostly to sell more merchandise an action figures. The studio believes their vision for this product portrays women in a positive light, and don't want to negotiate on it. This is hardly the same argument as 'smash the patriarchy'.

Alan Smithee posted:

High energy cat pop needs to be a thing. You all know what to do

She's doing well enough on her own, someone already claimed the 5000 dollar reward tier.

For half a million dollars, Mario will write a book about his time as an infidel. It features a whopping four chapters, and the biggest risk he foresees in the future is that his computer might get stolen. Pledge enough money for the privilege of spending some time with him in person, but beware: if you discriminate against him, he'll walk away and you won't get a refund. Because when people invest five grand in your project, you can never be sure they're not doing it just to discriminate against you later.

You know what the problem with earbuds and headphones is? They don't allow you to blast your lovely music for everyone to hear whilst you're skiing down the mountain.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

If cartoons have taught me anything, it's that loud noises and mountains covered in snow are a great mix.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

God, that is something I would really enjoy jabbing with a ski pole.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

"You could also use it for mountain biking or long boarding or if your like me you can just use it in the bathroom while your taking a shower."

:stare: Well, okay then.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
It seems pretty common for people to listen to music whilst in the shower, he's just saying it doubles up as a portable radio around the house.

I'm not too sure just how dumb the core idea is, but they really should have made some effort to direct the sound waves directly toward the wearer's head.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
I had the mental image of somebody wearing that in the shower.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Nyarai posted:

I had the mental image of somebody wearing that in the shower.

Yeah, same.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Animation is traditionally very expensive to produce. Most routine television cartoon animation costs about $1500 to produce one minute of animation, while feature films are about $80,000 to 1 million dollars depending on the quality of the work.

For crowdfunded animation projects, "Bee and Puppycat" is probably about average when it comes to cost: Michael Gagne's Story Of Rex had a goal of $15,000 for a one-minute short (he got $60k and is producing a four-minute short with a trailer that has 30-seconds of new animation), and Masaaki Yuasa's "Kick-Heart" cost about $150,000 for a ten minute short.

I agree; I'm an animator too! The problem is that Kickheart was 150k+ for 10 minutes of animation on paper. The intro was done with paint on animation paper, and I believe they even painted the backgrounds on paper. Another studio doing the Dickfigures movie needed 250k for 30 minutes and everything is done in studio/in flash.

But the numbers you posted don't add up. If it's $1500 for a normal studio to produce a minute of animation, why does Natasha need over $13k for one minute in the style she's doing? Her team is doing the design packages but the studio overseas (ie Korea, India or south america) are doing the bulk of the work. Something doesn't add up to me and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth despite wanting to see this succeed.

Pick posted:

When they say "ink" and "paint", those are general animation terminology and do not mean physical ink and physical paint.

They say "traditional animation" which refers to 2d animation on paper and cell. With the style the show is in anyway it would be far easier for them to just tween certain things digitally.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

They say "traditional animation" which refers to 2d animation on paper and cell. With the style the show is in anyway it would be far easier for them to just tween certain things digitally.

I thought traditional animation accounted for features that were drawn frame by frame, encompassing drawings done in sequence with pencils, and drawings done in sequence with computers and tablets (though the two aren't mutually exclusive). Like when you say "traditional animation", you don't mean "made in ToonBoom or Flash" or "CGI".

Princess and the Frog and How To Hook Up Your Home Theater were drawn on computers with drawing tablets I stand corrected.

StevenM has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Oct 16, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

StevenM posted:

I thought traditional animation accounted for features that were drawn frame by frame, encompassing drawings done in sequence with pencils, and drawings done in sequence with computers and tablets (though the two aren't mutually exclusive). Like when you say "traditional animation", you don't mean "made in ToonBoom or Flash" or "CGI".

Princess and the Frog and How To Hook Up Your Home Theater were drawn on computers with drawing tablets.

From what I was taught, most animation nowadays is "CG" so there's no reason to distinguish whether it every frame was hand drawn with a tablet or tweened in Flash. Most styles are a combination of redrawing things and moving pieces around. The only time I've heard people use "cg" or "digital" in a sentence about animation was when they were talking about the differences between that and "traditional".

Princess and the Frog was actually done quite a bit on paper. After the movie flopped Disney basically stopped making 2d features: http://livlily.blogspot.ca/2010/10/princess-and-frog-2009.html

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

I'll fund this if they release a version set to only play Fight the Power over and over and over and over.

From what I was taught, most animation nowadays is "CG" so there's no reason to distinguish whether it every frame was hand drawn with a tablet or tweened in Flash. Most styles are a combination of redrawing things and moving pieces around. The only time I've heard people use "cg" or "digital" in a sentence about animation was when they were talking about the differences between that and "traditional".

How do you figure, I mean tweened animations tend to look pretty distinctive, aren't mimicking traditional animation styles at all (that's the point), and involve like a tenth the actual cost/workload sooo...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

KKKlean Energy posted:

God, that is something I would really enjoy jabbing with a ski pole.

Also, "for a device that is designed to be worn on your back while doing activities, I have, after much thought, decided to use the absolute heaviest battery technology known to civilized man. Maybe I'll look into that 'lithium ion' bullshit later if I have time."

Although it's probably just because his amp needs 12 volts and he's too stupid to work out how to get that from bulk-purchased 3.7V LiPo cells.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

This is a Monty Python sketch, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SoundMonkey posted:

Also, "for a device that is designed to be worn on your back while doing activities, I have, after much thought, decided to use the absolute heaviest battery technology known to civilized man. Maybe I'll look into that 'lithium ion' bullshit later if I have time."

Although it's probably just because his amp needs 12 volts and he's too stupid to work out how to get that from bulk-purchased 3.7V LiPo cells.

Well, it's also because getting a car battery to start off with is dirt loving cheap while not being liable to explode or quickly lose battery life. Makes sense to start off with a simpler circuit and that.

It seems like he just has the one prototype right now with the used battery out of someone's car to work with, and he'll get lithium arrays and appropriate circuitry with the money from a successful kickstarter.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Install Windows posted:

Well, it's also because getting a car battery to start off with is dirt loving cheap while not being liable to explode or quickly lose battery life. Makes sense to start off with a simpler circuit and that.

It seems like he just has the one prototype right now with the used battery out of someone's car to work with, and he'll get lithium arrays and appropriate circuitry with the money from a successful kickstarter.

I did note a lack of charging circuitry so I guess that's in development too (or you just go buy a car charger from autozone or whatever). It just smacks of "I built this thing for myself, give me some money and I'll work out how to maybe build some more" that a lot of terrible Kickstarters have.

The off-the-shelf audio amp screwed to plywood is pretty great too. I'm not saying it's terrible idea (although it is), it just doesn't look like something I need to pay a guy for since he just told me how to rig one up in about ten minutes.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

How do you figure, I mean tweened animations tend to look pretty distinctive, aren't mimicking traditional animation styles at all (that's the point), and involve like a tenth the actual cost/workload sooo...

You'd be surprised what people have done with tweens that mimic traditional animation without looking like crap. Almost all of this is tweened in flash (http://vimeo.com/48563578) , Peter Chung's uses a lot of the technique in Riddick Dark Fury and even something like Motorcity is done with a lot of tweening and hand drawn animation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg1QYS0fLJk)

The problem isn't the tool, the problem is the tools who are using it. Not all tween animation has to look like poo poo but it's the cheapest thing to do.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

SoundMonkey posted:

I did note a lack of charging circuitry so I guess that's in development too (or you just go buy a car charger from autozone or whatever). It just smacks of "I built this thing for myself, give me some money and I'll work out how to maybe build some more" that a lot of terrible Kickstarters have.

The off-the-shelf audio amp screwed to plywood is pretty great too. I'm not saying it's terrible idea (although it is), it just doesn't look like something I need to pay a guy for since he just told me how to rig one up in about ten minutes.

Dude should have just put it on Instructables instead. Besides, the problem's been solved by bone conduction (which incidentally was a successful igg campaign) though he may not get a lot of that SWEET BASS he's wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Out of curiosity, is there a place on SA to post kickstarters we LIKE? :unsmith: There's a really awesome one or two out there that I think some of the Goons I know would like.