Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yes, lead it to the surface. Dig a shaft leading up before you break the flower if you have to. On the surface you can just fly around and avoid most of the damage.

In other news, this happened:

Send help

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hummingbirds posted:

How are you guys beating plantera? The only strategy video I've seen had the guy teleporting back and forth across a hallway while shooting at it but the battle took ten loving minutes. Anyone got a better strategy? Is it best to lead it to the surface or what?

With enough defense and vampire knives, you can literally stand still and shoot him. Same with specter armor.

You can build an arena near his flower, with lots of wooden platforms. Use lots of buff potions/food. Use mobility accessories and circle around him.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hummingbirds posted:

How are you guys beating plantera? The only strategy video I've seen had the guy teleporting back and forth across a hallway while shooting at it but the battle took ten loving minutes. Anyone got a better strategy? Is it best to lead it to the surface or what?
I race to the surface or the nearest open area in the caves and fly around it shooting magic at it.

This might be less effective now that you can't get Specter armor until AFTER killing it, though.

Mountaineer posted:

Yes, lead it to the surface. Dig a shaft leading up before you break the flower if you have to. On the surface you can just fly around and avoid most of the damage.

In other news, this happened:

Send help
Is that two Destroyers and a Wyvern?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Just a Wyvern actually, with a Destroyer body attached to it for some reason. It behaved like a Wyvern, had a Wyvern's 4000 health, and dropped nothing but some Souls of Flight when it died. The body was still shooting lasers and stuff like the Destroyer would, though, but did not produce any probes. I call it the Destroyvern.

Possibly related to the glitch where the Destroyer's body sticks around for a minute after death if you killed it with the Frostburn status. I had killed the Destroyer while wearing Frost Armor about ten minutes previous to that screenshot.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hummingbirds posted:

I fought it in the hive; drain most of the honey out but have enough you can hop into it for the regen buff, open up fairly wide passages in and out and around it so you can maneuver, then chug an ironskin + regen potion and kick its rear end.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I've already made some heavy progress on a base in a Large map. Having read through the thread as well as thinking back to the amount of travel time I need to get anywhere, I'm now in something of a dilemma. Even if I keep the character and the accumulated loot, I don't want to start working on the base from scratch. Is it possible to copy/paste my work in progress from one map to another via one of the editors, or am I SOL?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

I've already made some heavy progress on a base in a Large map. Having read through the thread as well as thinking back to the amount of travel time I need to get anywhere, I'm now in something of a dilemma. Even if I keep the character and the accumulated loot, I don't want to start working on the base from scratch. Is it possible to copy/paste my work in progress from one map to another via one of the editors, or am I SOL?

Not sure if TEdit allows you to copy paste from one world to another, but it is quick and easy to just recreate everything.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

KazigluBey posted:

Yes with TEdit you can copy from one world to another.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Copying with TEdit it actually really simple. Just use the selection tool, ctrl+c, then just ctrl+v wherever you want and it'll pluck your selection down right there, even if you've loaded up a different map. Pretty cool.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Thanks, this saves me a whole bunch of time and stuff!

Follow up question, I've been reading contradictory information on this: is the underground jungle still at risk of annihilation via Corruption/Crimson when you hit hard-mode or has that been changed? Are quarantine measures mandatory if you want to maintain a large underground jungle?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You have to take care if you have Crimson in the world. For some reason, Red changed Corruption and Hallow so they can't infect your Jungle, but Crimson is still exempt from that immunity.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

endgame.jpg

The bottom structure was something I built after watching one of Hero's guides from the wiki. It is dumb because lots of drops spawn out of autoloot range, and eventually mobs stopped spawning for me. Get yourself some turtle armor, some armor accessories, and some honey (campfire optional). Create a multiplayer server and leave it on overnight. 1/4000 drop chance is laaaaame.

I got lucky and the jungle key dropped for me naturally, and the crimson key after not too long of this.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is there something that makes crimson biomes appear after the hardmode generation? Because I was looking at my world in tedit and there are some spots out of place that I definitely didn't put there and also weren't there at the start of hm.

The spot in the top right is just from the original crimson that the hallow didn't overwrite. But the others in the bottom/middle left are not supposed to be there I think. There's another spot on the other side of the map too, distinctly separate from the main crimson strip.

e: Huh, and I just now noticed he random hallow spot in the middle of the dungeon too.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 16, 2013

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Breaking altars spawns tiles of crimson/hallow/corruption in the world, depending on your specific world.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

voltron lion force posted:

Is there something that makes crimson biomes appear after the hardmode generation? Because I was looking at my world in tedit and there are some spots out of place that I definitely didn't put there and also weren't there at the start of hm.

Yep, every time you smash a Demon Heart or Shadow Orb an altar a tile of stone somewhere in your world turns Hallowed or Corrupted/Crimsoned.

Edit: poo poo, my bad. Totally got altars and orbs mixed up in my head for some reason. It is destroying ALTARS that spawns new Hallow/Corruption/Crimson.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 16, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

e: Huh, and I just now noticed he random hallow spot in the middle of the dungeon too.
Most Dungeons aren't 100% dungeon, they have tons of dirt and stone hidden between them. I've mined through the walls to get to some treasure right outside the Dungeon and the music immediately changed and the spawns switched to regular underground enemies, so this isn't that surprising.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Yep, every time you smash a Demon Heart or Shadow Orb a tile of stone somewhere in your world turns Hallowed or Corrupted/Crimsoned.
It has a side bias anyway though, right? It won't just convert some spot right under my base, and it won't drop a tiny pocket of Hallow on the Corruption side of the world?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well how do ya like that. Glad I didn't bother trying to quarantine since that little detail woulda been kinda important to know first.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Well how do ya like that. Glad I didn't bother trying to quarantine since that little detail woulda been kinda important to know first.

Pretty sure quarantining is still useful around your base, if its in the middle surface of the map that is (and if you want to bother). Much like how meteors spawn I dont think it spawns any crimson/corruption/hallow anywhere too close to the top middle 3rd of the map.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The White Dragon posted:

It has a side bias anyway though, right? It won't just convert some spot right under my base, and it won't drop a tiny pocket of Hallow on the Corruption side of the world?

No side bias as far as I can tell. I've got some random patches of both on either side.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

You have to take care if you have Crimson in the world. For some reason, Red changed Corruption and Hallow so they can't infect your Jungle, but Crimson is still exempt from that immunity.

:argh:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Huh, and I just now noticed he random hallow spot in the middle of the dungeon too.

Have you gone and confirmed that the part of the dungeon is hallow? All the pink in that image looks to me like the tedit "I don't know what this is" pink, but then I don't use tedit or know how much 1.2 stuff is accounted for, but I do know that there are new walls that can show up in dungeons that might show up pink.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Akett posted:

Have you gone and confirmed that the part of the dungeon is hallow? All the pink in that image looks to me like the tedit "I don't know what this is" pink, but then I don't use tedit or know how much 1.2 stuff is accounted for, but I do know that there are new walls that can show up in dungeons that might show up pink.

Yeah the pink in-between the walls is just unaccounted for new tiles, but I was talkin about the spot that is actually surrounded by the dungeon, which is the proper color for hallow. Also funny enough, most of the tedit tiles have been updated with appropriate colors, but one that's left out is hallow infected ice, or "pink ice" which actually works as far as readability.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Yeah, my current world has crimson butting right up against the jungle, too. Going to take a lot of digging but I'm going to at least try to quarantine it before starting hardmode.

I know it's small potatoes compared to some of the really creative construction in here but I'm just happy to have a world where the initial spawn was in a snow biome. It's a start (excuse the UI, could only be bothered to take two screenshots):

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I'm digging it. It looks like an supervillain lair for some reason. Show us pics when you decorate it a bit more :)

edit: oh poo poo it's ABOVE ground?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mountaineer posted:

Possibly related to the glitch where the Destroyer's body sticks around for a minute after death if you killed it with the Frostburn status. I had killed the Destroyer while wearing Frost Armor about ten minutes previous to that screenshot.

Oh I was wondering what happened when I killed him. His corpse stuck around for longer than 10 minutes though.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I was talkin about the spot that is actually surrounded by the dungeon, which is the proper color for hallow.

Oh, I didn't even notice that, pearlstone is close enough to rock colored to trip me up. My bad.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, I was down trying to get adamantite/armor polish and I got a beam sword...It deals like 20 less damage than my mushroom spear at first glance, but it shoots a sword beam that deals the same as the melee hit...anyone know if this thing is better than my mushroom spear?

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

mirarant posted:

Reforging is one of the worse implemented features in the game. The prices are high and the rng can gently caress you over and over again. Some sort of predictable upgrade feature would have been nice (insert n amount of x material plus cash = specific reforge).

I finally snapped when I foolishly spent ~30 gold to get my star cannon from second (maybe?) best to best (yeah right) only for it to drop to worst and still want ~6 to change it. Arrrgh.
I know it's silly and makes gently caress all difference and I shouldn't care, but it bugs me no end.
I managed fine early on, and maybe will again late game, but for now I'm all "gently caress it" and I just cheat in a hundred platinum coins.
I worried that I might be tempted and cheat the game to death, but other than a couple of things I missed out before flipping the hard mode switch I've been a good boy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Renzuko posted:

So, I was down trying to get adamantite/armor polish and I got a beam sword...It deals like 20 less damage than my mushroom spear at first glance, but it shoots a sword beam that deals the same as the melee hit...anyone know if this thing is better than my mushroom spear?

Use it as a ranged weapon then switch to the spear when they get in close.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Corruption still spreads into the jungle; I tested it with torches. I had the misfortune of the big corruption stripe cutting right through my underground jungle, or at least the parts of it I'd already explored.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I found a really simple way to cheese the pirate invasion, cling onto the wall right above your door and use the mushroom spear...it knocks them back, and the residual mushroom things it leaves behind hurt's them even more.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
My bases usually just turn into hodgepodge houses and rooms for random NPCs.

I can't stay focused enough to build massive structures with unified themes...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Does anybody have advice for how to get the nazar? Cursed weapons are rare as hell, and the skulls aren't exactly common. Is it just "get really lucky" or is there some way to get them to spawn more reliably?

also a base picture, after about a 40 hour playthrough with myself and a friend:

it's not finished, but we've nearly got absolutely everything now so I doubt we'll spend much more time on it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dat one portagee posted:

My bases usually just turn into hodgepodge houses and rooms for random NPCs.

I can't stay focused enough to build massive structures with unified themes...

I like it. My "house" is a glowing mushroom tower for me and 4 random NPCs (a wizard lives in my bedroom for some reason :raise:) and a bunch of randomly themed apartments floating aimlessly through the air with confused mooks pacing around in them and occasionally plummeting to earth to meander in circles and then get eaten by werewolves. Yours has kind of an eclectic Castlevania thing going on, where it's one big mansion/castle thing that inexplicably contains a bunch of bizarrely themed areas tied together by hallways and incredibly dangerous suspended bridges.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Koramei posted:

Does anybody have advice for how to get the nazar? Cursed weapons are rare as hell, and the skulls aren't exactly common. Is it just "get really lucky" or is there some way to get them to spawn more reliably?

also a base picture, after about a 40 hour playthrough with myself and a friend:

it's not finished, but we've nearly got absolutely everything now so I doubt we'll spend much more time on it.

Get really lucky. It took me 15-30 minutes in the easymode dungeon to get it which is probably the most efficient way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The reforge system would be a lot less dumb if the prefixes you could get for items were all positive in some way and there weren't lovely/overpowered ones in the mix just to spite you or make you obsessively spend gold to get the 'best' prefix. Being able to choose one that fits your playstyle best instead of grinding the luck game for the highest stats is always preferable.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Holy poo poo the Piranha gun is so good its practically broken. You just hit one enemy and hold down the mouse and 2-3 seconds later everything on the entire screen is dead. I got one not too long after entering hardmode and now the whole game feels trivial. It's so fun to use though that I can't stop

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Koramei posted:

Whoa you can take the golem altar, I didn't even try. Sick base btw.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Holy poo poo the Piranha gun is so good its practically broken. You just hit one enemy and hold down the mouse and 2-3 seconds later everything on the entire screen is dead. I got one not too long after entering hardmode and now the whole game feels trivial. It's so fun to use though that I can't stop

Highly recommended for anyone having trouble with the Twins. Does decent damage and lets you easily focus them down one at a time while you focus on not dying.

Other weapons are stronger and definitely better for crowds, but it's a good'un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The reforge system would be a lot less dumb if the prefixes you could get for items were all positive in some way and there weren't lovely/overpowered ones in the mix just to spite you or make you obsessively spend gold to get the 'best' prefix. Being able to choose one that fits your playstyle best instead of grinding the luck game for the highest stats is always preferable.

But then you're just gonna grind until you get the one that fits your playstyle best instead of the one that's just objectively best. There's always going to be one you want the most.

It would be really neat if they were more diverse, though. Modifiers with "+% chance not to use ammo" or "+# extra projectiles" would be really neat to mess around with and let you make cool gimmick builds. You'll just always want one specific modifier to fit that gimmick build, you'd still end up grinding unless you could be content with changing your playstyle to fit what you get. It'd at least be less frustrating if you are reforging your only version of that weapon, run out of money, and are stuck with "shoots a bunch more projectiles, minus damage" instead of "broken, everything is worse."

Magnitogorsk. posted:

It took me ~10 hours of farming the jungle while chilling to podcasts to get a key and it was entirely worth it.

Now to do the same for the Rainbow Gun :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread