Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Heading over to the Paradox forums to read massive outrage over a fantasy DLC pack!

I hope this is real, I love the Elder Kings mod for CK2, too bad that it is not updated to the latest patch so I cannot play it any longer. So more power for fantasy stuff!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Torrannor posted:

Heading over to the Paradox forums to read massive outrage over a fantasy DLC pack!

I hope this is real, I love the Elder Kings mod for CK2, too bad that it is not updated to the latest patch so I cannot play it any longer. SO more power for fantasy stuff!

Knowing Paradox fans they're probably more upset at the possible inclusion of Jews than the possible inclusion of wizards.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

quiggy posted:

Knowing Paradox fans they're probably more upset at the possible inclusion of Jews than the possible inclusion of wizards.

Right, let me quote the last post in the "Sons of Abraham" topic:

quote:

What would the Jews add to the game, to be honest.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Does anyone know if the "Infidel Temples Looted" bonus to moral authority has a cap?

I'm playing a pagan game as Brittany, testing out one of the new Celtic pagan religions in the current CK2+ version. It's been a hell of a ride, honestly: raiding Catholic Ireland, Scotland, and England constantly to fund the mercenaries I need to survive France's clockwork war declarations while keeping my armies close by to defend against, well, France's clockwork war declarations.

(Incidentally, the modder that decided to put a Celtic holy site at Chartres was an evil genius. Only managed to get it by slowly eating Anjou after they won an independence war against France, and have held onto it by the skin of my teeth for decades.)

Trying to figure out if I can make up the remaining 10% I need to reform Brythonic Druidism entirely through burning churches, or if I have to somehow survive Holy Wars against the Karling blob in order to get to 50 (since unreformed Celts can't declare Holy Wars, I can only get the "Won Holy Wars" bonus defensively - on the other hand, my idiot Dukes can't declare Holy Wars they'll inevitably lose!).

Gotta say, though there are a few bugs with the integration of the Ancient Religions mod, I'm still loving Pagan Hard Mode and I think it's worth a try if you're playing CK2+.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 15, 2013

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If the next major expansion after the joke Halloween stuff is actually called Sons of Abraham, that would kind of suggest a Catholic based/theocracy theme. Obviously Jews spring more readily to mind but haven't they gone out of their way to avoid that? Technically I guess it could imply new mechanics to all Christians and Muslims but that seems a bit much. Either way, exciting!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

Does anyone know if the "Infidel Temples Looted" bonus to moral authority has a cap?

I'm playing a pagan game as Brittany, testing out one of the new Celtic pagan religions in the current CK2+ version. It's been a hell of a ride, honestly: raiding Catholic Ireland, Scotland, and England constantly to fund the mercenaries I need to survive France's clockwork war declarations while keeping my armies close by to defend against, well, France's clockwork war declarations.

(Incidentally, the modder that decided to put a Celtic holy site at Chartres was an evil genius. Only managed to get it by slowly eating Anjou after they won an independence war against France, and have held onto it by the skin of my teeth for decades.)

Trying to figure out if I can make up the remaining 10% I need to reform Brythonic Druidism entirely through burning churches, or if I have to somehow survive Holy Wars against the Karling blob in order to get to 50 (since unreformed Celts can't declare Holy Wars, I can only get the "Won Holy Wars" bonus defensively - on the other hand, my idiot Dukes can't declare Holy Wars they'll inevitably lose!).

Gotta say, though there are a few bugs with the integration of the Ancient Religions mod, I'm still loving Pagan Hard Mode and I think it's worth a try if you're playing CK2+.

I believe I have seen the bonus from looted temples being as high as +19, so I don't think it is capped. How much more moral authority do you need?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This has probably been answered before but I didn't see it.

When you have multiple mods that change the same file, how does the game determine which file to use?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Torrannor posted:

I believe I have seen the bonus from looted temples being as high as +19, so I don't think it is capped. How much more moral authority do you need?

Burning churches got me over the top as Norse, too, so if there's a cap I didn't hit it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Torrannor posted:

Awesome. I only need something like 10 or 11 percent more, so if the bonus can hit 19 then all I need to do is another solid rampage. France just declared yet another Holy War for Normandie so if I can win that it'll certainly help things along. With mercs and the holy order I can match France's numbers, the trick is always "can I kill enough Frenchmen before the rest of the Karlings arrive?"

If I didn't have to use mercs I'd designate my main stack as raiders and kill two birds with one stone. Ah, well.

SeaTard posted:

When you have multiple mods that change the same file, how does the game determine which file to use?

I think it's decided based on the filename of the relevant .mod files - alphabetical order, but symbols and numbers come first?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
In Old Gods start, is it possible to go Norse->Norman->English?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

In Old Gods start, is it possible to go Norse->Norman->English?

It's a long shot but I don't see why not, especially if you were gamey about it. I mean it's basically what the actual House of Normandy did.

:eng101: 'Norman' is derived from 'Northmen'. The area of France we know as Normandy got the name after it was given to the viking raider Rollo in exchange for allegience to the Carolingian (or Karling, in CK2 speak) Charles the Simple in 911. His descendents, William the Conqueror among them, became powerful nobles in their own right and, as we know, went on to conquer England in 1066. It's pretty cool to think that they were so badass they did this in the space of some 150 years.

So yeah, the whole clusterfuck around the Norman Invasion was basically 'which viking gets to rule England'.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 16, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The melting pot events will fire even if they've fired before.

That said, the usual culture-switch event for putting your capital in a different-culture province will also fire for anyone, Norse included. So if you want to go Norse > English or Norse > Levantine or whatever, there's nothing stopping you. It's just a one-time choice, not an enduring option on the Intrigue screen, and it won't auto-convert family members.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

You'd think Karling decadence would be higher...

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

RON PAUL ALL YEARS posted:

You'd think Karling decadence would be higher...

Do non-Muslim family members count for Decadence?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
How did that even happen, anyway?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rincewind posted:

Well his title is "The Drunkard". He may very well not remember what happened, himself.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Right, let me quote the last post in the "Sons of Abraham" topic:

Well that is the most important thing to ask in a videoGAME. I can't see Jews being anything other than flavour events in a games set in CK2 times when there are a million other things that can be addressed.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Well, the Khazars were Jewish and that's well within our period. CK2+ has modelled the Jewish religion for ages and it's always strange when I go back to vanilla and they aren't around anymore.

In my last CK2+ Norse Sweden game, I had one line of Jewish and one line of Muslim dukes amidst all my other Norse vassals, which was pretty neat.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Well, the Khazars were Jewish and that's well within our period. CK2+ has modelled the Jewish religion for ages and it's always strange when I go back to vanilla and they aren't around anymore.

In my last CK2+ Norse Sweden game, I had one line of Jewish and one line of Muslim dukes amidst all my other Norse vassals, which was pretty neat.

That's not enough to base a whole DLC around. I'd love to see Jews included in a wider overhaul of Christianity and Islam, but as a standalone thing? There's nothing interesting there.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

EightDeer posted:

Do non-Muslim family members count for Decadence?

Yes, they do. I had one of my kids end up Sunni because of his tutor, so I decided to give him a duchy and them play as him. My decadence started growing incredibly rapidly, because I had over 100 living dynasty members, 30ish of which held a title of some sort.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

SeaTard posted:

Yes, they do. I had one of my kids end up Sunni because of his tutor, so I decided to give him a duchy and them play as him. My decadence started growing incredibly rapidly, because I had over 100 living dynasty members, 30ish of which held a title of some sort.

Weirdly enough, that Muslim line of Dukes I had (for some reason they still had the title "Duke" even though their Duchy was renamed the "Lorcid Emirate" instead of whatever Swedish name it originally had) seemed to constantly keep their decadence down at 25% for over a century, so I guess the Lorcids ran a pretty tight ship.

They were actually Salafi heretics, which almost totally replaced the Sunni in my CK2 game (although by the end most of them were being ruled by Shia leaders, and then I converted it to EU4 and they all turned back to the parent religions anyway. Same went for the hilarious Nestorian Mongol Byzantine Empire, although it still stayed a khaganate with Mongols as its primary culture.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I was playing as Scandinavia after reforming Norse paganism, and I was just taking a look at the religion map to see how things were going(Norse Paganism: Doin fine, Tengri: also fine, Both flavours of Islam: great, Orthodox: completely eradicated except for the one province still controlled by the Byzantine Empire, Catholicism: basically just Italy, Zoroastrianism: one duchy under a fellow named The Liberator so who knows if that'll last, all other pagans gone) when I noticed something weird. One province, waaaay down in Africa, was Norse. Ruled over by some Sunni emirate, but one province was not only Norse religion, but also Norse Culture. I thought it was funny that there were a bunch of dudes in North Africa who had at one point been ruled by an adventurer for about a year and were so taken by it that 300 years later they still act just like him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rincewind posted:

Well, the Khazars were Jewish and that's well within our period.

Beta Israel as well. As well as Jewish courtiers. I would be totally ok with a Jews-only DLC (not that I'd hate it if it included extra stuff for Christians and Muslims, of course).

Sardinia's doing well. You know the one big problem with random generation? There's just few enough characters at the start that the entire map very quickly becomes this patchwork of weird inheritances. Also, have someone in line to become queen of Sicily, and some family member ended up as the king of Bulgaria. A cousin decided to try and take Scotland, which didn't end will.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm curious about the GoT mod, I read somewhere there is an LP on it but I can't find it?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There was one on PCgamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/30/playing-the-game-of-thrones/

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I just love that he screws up worse than canonical Ned Stark during his first year.

e: For those on the fence about reading it, he executes Howland Reed while not paying attention.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 16, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thank you I'll check that article

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Rincewind posted:

I have literally no idea :psyduck:. I looked over at one point and suddenly I had a Sunni France and a Shiite Aquitaine.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

catlord posted:

In general, how accurate is SteamDB? Because a couple days ago there was an entry for something called Sons of Abraham.
I think the Old Gods appeared in there as "Wrath of Odin", and the actual Old Gods DLC only came out a long while after.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

NihilCredo posted:

I think the Old Gods appeared in there as "Wrath of Odin", and the actual Old Gods DLC only came out a long while after.

I believe that Wrath of Odin was a hoax. Somebody took The Republic SteamDB and put Wrath of Odin in the name and a new date. But he forgot to change the Steam ID (I think it was something like that?)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Sometimes when I launch CKII the launcher never loads and stay there forever, I have to kill the process and restart.
Is there any fix for this?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Le0 posted:

Sometimes when I launch CKII the launcher never loads and stay there forever, I have to kill the process and restart.
Is there any fix for this?

If it's through Steam, it may be a Steam glitch. I've been having problems with Steam trying to install DirectX every time I start up a game, and then hanging there. I found that killing the DirectX process allows the game to start normally.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Le0 posted:

I'm curious about the GoT mod, I read somewhere there is an LP on it but I can't find it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550259

Here is a goon LP of the mod, starting as Stannis the Mannis.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think it's decided based on the filename of the relevant .mod files - alphabetical order, but symbols and numbers come first?

To follow up, after some testing this is close but not quite right.

Mods are loaded in the order that they are appear in the list on the launcher, the actual .mod or directory name doesn't matter at all. The first mod that loads a file owns that file, and it will ignore every subsequent time that file is attempted to be loaded from additional mods.

So yes, alphabetical matters, but it is the order in the launcher that matters, not the file names themselves.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SeaTard posted:

To follow up, after some testing this is close but not quite right.

Mods are loaded in the order that they are appear in the list on the launcher, the actual .mod or directory name doesn't matter at all. The first mod that loads a file owns that file, and it will ignore every subsequent time that file is attempted to be loaded from additional mods.

So yes, alphabetical matters, but it is the order in the launcher that matters, not the file names themselves.
Also, mods can define dependencies, in which case the mod with defined dependencies is always loaded after the mods that it depends upon. You can't actually tell this in the launcher, though; it can often still be listed earlier than the base mods.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I've just started an insane game of ck2 that may very well prove to be a challenging historical oriented endeavour. I started off as the petty king of ostlandet, used the ruler designer to design my own house and dynasty, went for a martial oriented dude, started with kinslayer and viking, under the premise that he had murdered his brother for the chiefdom. I started the game and piled on lunatic, berserker, posessed and a poo poo-ton of additional martial. Crushed people in holmgang events, reaped insane prestige from my leader berserking in battles and being insanely lucky and just getting piles of dead foes. Kept imprisoning people to offer up in a great blot. Try to invent a flying machine, meet odin, kill cthulhu, erect a runestone to a demon lord promising a thousand years of darkness. Raiding goes incredibly well giving me a solid bank of gold and prestige as well.

I subjugated vestlandet, used the conquest CB on southern ireland. Then I decided I would try to be rollo and used my piles of gold to claim the duchy of normandy and hire every pagan mercenary I could, called in all my favours to crush francia and wound up with one province, vexin, being ceded to me. It kind of sucked, and I kept making GBS threads out kids without realizing I was gavelkind. Made normandy my primary title (still only held duchies). Sure enough I died shortly after and my kingdom shattered into four petty kingdoms among my kids, each of them getting decent enough norse kingdoms. . . Except for my heir who lost everything and wound up with only the county of vexin, completely surrounded by west francia.

Blew my inheritance getting all the mercenaries, and declared war on charles the bald for my claims of Mortain, Rouen, Evreux and Eu. Called in all my family and my family alliances including the (non-petty) king of sweden, the king of hungary and the king of jorvik. Charles called in aquitaine, lotharingia, italy, tuscany and a bavaria-owning east francia.

I beat a stack of 100 dudes in paris in the first week of the war that happened to have Charles leading it, by chance I imprisoned him and dragged his youngest daughter out of paris with an assault.:shepface: I now have normandy firmly under my control, moved my capital to Rouen and erected a runestone to Odin. Charles was still my prisoner, but died in my prison with his heir being the king of Aquitaine, but aquitaine never inherited when he died. I was curious as to why I wouldn't have to fight off a mega-france and checked out west francia.

Before he died, he managed to knock up all three of his remaining daughters and gave birth to an inbred karling heir that kept the kingdom split. I guess now I will raid and loot and try to get a papal invasion on england around 1066. This game is the best game.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Sounds like King Charles had a bad week. Just as he's getting ready to smite some heathens in glorious battle, they break into his chateau and kidnap him and his daughter.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Is there any kind of mod that creates a dowry system for when marriages are arranged?

Edit: something like where the cost fluctuates depending on the potential bride's stats and attributes?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
It shouldn't be hard, since Republics already have to pay bride prices - you might even be able to do it just by changing some tags around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So Paradox just released a teaser image on facebook. Here's the Paradox forums thread with the image.

I think it might be migrant/colonisation DLC as people in the thread have already suggested.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 18, 2013

• Locked thread