Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
To be fair, that particular bundle of joy was Brad Meltzer, with the poo poo-Midas Touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A really lovely run was the Denny O'Neil / Luke McDonnell run of Iron Man.

Tony's off being drunk and living as a vagrant, Rhodey is stumbling around still learning the armor, a geeky brother / sister pair start a business with Rhodey (I think the sister was named Clytemnestra) and art that sucked like nobody's business. To cap it off I believe Clytemnestra falls in psychotic love with Stark but blames him for getting her brother killed, and of course SHE winds up getting killed in one of the most useless comic book deaths ever.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 11, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Binary Badger posted:

A really lovely run was the Denny O'Neil / Luke McDonnell run of Iron Man.

Tony's off being drunk and living as a vagrant, Rhodey is stumbling around still learning the armor, a geeky brother / sister pair start a business with Rhodey (I think the sister was named Clytemnestra) and art that sucked like nobody's business. To cap it off I believe Clytemnestra falls in psychotic love with Stark but blames him for getting her brother killed, and of course SHE winds up getting killed in one of the most useless comic book deaths ever.

You mean part of the storyline with Obadiah Stane? A storyline that is considered one of the best Iron Man stories ever.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, I still didn't like it. 'Tony is a bum' dragged on for way too many issues.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Realism posted:

Steve Englehart's run of Silver Surfer issues 1-35.

He had an issue where Galactus was fist-fighting In-Betweener in space

This has to be one of the worst comic issues I've ever read

Need to disagree with you. Steve Englehart is/was sort of special in a weird sort of way. His writing was always just a tiny bit off from what it should have been and somehow that made everything he wrote completely awesome. Those pages you just posted? Awesome. His West Coast Avengers run is still my all time favorite run at Marvel, and so many people are quick to tell me how terrible it is.

That said, one of the worst comic runs of all time is Byrne's West Coast Avengers run, where he decided to tell me through a series of comic books that he hates me and that I should hate him too.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So there is/was a large thread on 4chan's comic board about how awful Byrne is with a lot of creepy-rear end poo poo he's written. Anyway going by something someone mentioned in that thread... John Byrne did an OMAC miniseries where OMAC went around saving human villages in exchange for being able to have sex with their underage teenage girls? :psyduck:

I mean if that's the case I think we've found The Worst Run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MelvinTheJerk posted:

That said, one of the worst comic runs of all time is Byrne's West Coast Avengers run, where he decided to tell me through a series of comic books that he hates me and that I should hate him too.

As I understand, that was John Byrne deciding to fix a bunch of problems that nobody knew existed unless they had the insight and wisdom of John Byrne, wasn't it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You know how one of the Vision's big things was how human he is? Byrne says gently caress that he is a toaster, and that is the way that his creator wanted him to be. Ignoring the fact that his first appearance has the famous panel of Vision crying.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 15, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Every Byrne run is the worst run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Every Byrne run is the worst run.

I'm dead keen on his Fantastic Four run.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I can't comment on all of Byrne and Mackie's Spidey relaunch, but I just read a two parter where all of the supporting cast is kidnapped by Mysterio and put in a virtual reality construct with the apparent attempt being to deduce who's really Spider-Man because... Mysterio wants to know, I guess? It really hits all the "John Byrne" notes in that a villain has a scheme that makes no sense at all (Flash Thompson somehow imagines himself as a super hero engaged to Mary Jane inside the VR, defeating the purpose immediately), is completely an excuse to bring a bunch of Spidey supporting characters into a room together, is based on a Silver-Age-y gimmick that Byrne already famously did (Puppet Master and his "tiny town"), and finally, Flash Thompson says he doesn't need anybody and calls Peter a nerd, ignoring about 300-some odd issues of Amazing Spider-Man, where Flash has been Pete's good friend for years and was the best man at his wedding. But no, Flash was always a bully jerk because a sweaty Canadian pre-teen read him that way in 1963.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading that run when I was about 12, and the whole mystery surrounding Mysterio really bugged me. You never find out who or what he was, and for some reason he's involved with the Senator Ward story arc, but that's never resolved either.

I suppose you can put some (but only some) of the blame Kevin Smith for killing him off in Daredevil and messing everything up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

laz0rbeak posted:

I can't comment on all of Byrne and Mackie's Spidey relaunch, but I just read a two parter where all of the supporting cast is kidnapped by Mysterio and put in a virtual reality construct with the apparent attempt being to deduce who's really Spider-Man because... Mysterio wants to know, I guess? It really hits all the "John Byrne" notes in that a villain has a scheme that makes no sense at all (Flash Thompson somehow imagines himself as a super hero engaged to Mary Jane inside the VR, defeating the purpose immediately), is completely an excuse to bring a bunch of Spidey supporting characters into a room together, is based on a Silver-Age-y gimmick that Byrne already famously did (Puppet Master and his "tiny town"), and finally, Flash Thompson says he doesn't need anybody and calls Peter a nerd, ignoring about 300-some odd issues of Amazing Spider-Man, where Flash has been Pete's good friend for years and was the best man at his wedding. But no, Flash was always a bully jerk because a sweaty Canadian pre-teen read him that way in 1963.

I feel like this should be posted on Byrne's sad little board, just to see him lose his poo poo.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

laz0rbeak posted:

I can't comment on all of Byrne and Mackie's Spidey relaunch,
poo poo was dire. To sum it up: Howard Mackie and characters forget the plot.

I like the part where they establish that it was the botched Dr Octopus experiment that gave Peter spider powers, but that's about the only thing.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Metal Loaf posted:

As I understand, that was John Byrne deciding to fix a bunch of problems that nobody knew existed unless they had the insight and wisdom of John Byrne, wasn't it?

It's Byrne at his Byrneiest. He's not even on the book all the long, just like a dozen issues or so, but he manages to come in and make sure everything is covered in poo poo and irreparable before he leaves.

I could run down the entire list, but here's what basically happens: Did someone have some sort of character growth or a story line that made sense? Well gently caress 'em, because Big Daddy Byrne didn't really read this run so much as he skimmed it and he didn't like the parts he did see, so he's just going to undo everything real quick and then see ya later bye.

Englehart: You know, Hawkeye has long thought of himself as a leader in the vein of Captain America, so I let him get out from under the shadow of the Avengers proper and really let him come into his own as not only a qualified leader, but an empathetic friend to those around him and really the heart of the team.

Byrne: A PURPLE GUY WITH A BOW AND ARROW? SOUNDS LIKE COMIC RELIEF TO ME!

Englehart: I thought it would be a good idea to portray Hank Pym as someone who has undeniably done some bad things, but instead of sweeping them under the rug and treating him like a stalwart hero I'd give him justified self doubt and show the dangers of trying to be someone you're not by having the consequences of his actions be somewhat omnipresent.

Byrne: THAT'S DUMB PYM IS A FOUNDING AVENGER EVERYTHING HE DOES IS GREAT YAY HE'S BACK TOGETHER WITH WASP WHO IS SO IMPRESSED AT HOW MANLY HE IS SHE'S LEAVING THE AVENGERS AND JOINING THE WEST COAST AVENGERS JUST TO BE WITH HIM! TRUE LOVE Y'ALL!

Englehart: Well, funny thing about true love, I decided to really show what a stable relationship would look like in the super hero community by showing Scarlet Witch and Vision interact with not only their children, but their extended family. I've made it clear that they consider Wonder Man to be an uncle and his mother to be the children's grandmoth-

Byrne: A WOMAN loving A ROBOT? THAT'S GROSS! FORGET ALL THE poo poo YOU JUST SAID, THAT poo poo GOES AWAY ISSUE #1 YOU HEAR ME? NOW WHERE IS MY PIZZA PARTY FOR FIXING YOUR AWFUL COMIC?

There's a lot of that type of thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Englehart: Well, funny thing about true love, I decided to really show what a stable relationship would look like in the super hero community by showing Scarlet Witch and Vision interact with not only their children, but their extended family. I've made it clear that they consider Wonder Man to be an uncle and his mother to be the children's grandmoth-

Byrne: A WOMAN loving A ROBOT? THAT'S GROSS! FORGET ALL THE poo poo YOU JUST SAID, THAT poo poo GOES AWAY ISSUE #1 YOU HEAR ME? NOW WHERE IS MY PIZZA PARTY FOR FIXING YOUR AWFUL COMIC?

There's a lot of that type of thing.

You forgot then he turns around and says you know the original Human Torch? He is more than a robot.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I will say Byrne wrote a pretty good U.S. Agent on WCA, even if he's complained on his forum about how Englehart made him use the character. How weird that Byrne could get into the mind-set of an rear end in a top hat right-wing nut.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a rumour that most of what Byrne did on WCA arose out of a petty grudge against Englehart be use he disliked Englehart's run on FF. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Suben posted:

So there is/was a large thread on 4chan's comic board about how awful Byrne is with a lot of creepy-rear end poo poo he's written. Anyway going by something someone mentioned in that thread... John Byrne did an OMAC miniseries where OMAC went around saving human villages in exchange for being able to have sex with their underage teenage girls? :psyduck:

I mean if that's the case I think we've found The Worst Run.

We're uh, we're just going to ignore this part of the discussion? :staredog:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

We're uh, we're just going to ignore this part of the discussion? :staredog:

I tend to ignore anything that mentions 4chan

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

I tend to ignore anything that mentions 4chan

Byrne fan spotted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Byrne fan spotted.

If Byrne doesn't like 4chan, then, well, that's one of the two times a day he's right.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

If Byrne doesn't like 4chan, then, well, that's one of the two times a day he's right.

Byrne hates 4chan because they organized a raid on his creepy hugbox forum. The objective was to express polite and reasoned positions that ran counter to his, and watch how long it took him to flip his poo poo and start banning like a madman. It was drat fun, one of the few 4chan memories I still look back on fondly.

Edit: He hates anywhere that isn't his forum though, to be fair.

I Killed GBS fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 16, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Byrne hates 4chan because they organized a raid on his creepy hugbox forum. The objective was to express polite and reasoned positions that ran counter to his, and watch how long it took him to flip his poo poo and start banning like a madman. It was drat fun, one of the few 4chan memories I still look back on fondly.

Well? How long did it take?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
For me? Thirty minutes and two posts. :v:
The most subtle ones lasted another day or so until Byrne got paranoid and banned everyone who'd registered within the last week.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wait, so Byrne is Tim Buckly, then.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Jonny Nox posted:

Holy poo poo he is!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

He hates his own forum too.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, basically. With about the same level of talent.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, basically. With about the same level of talent.

Well, Byrne can at least draw.

Did we talk about how he ruined Exiles already?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Well, Byrne can at least draw.

Did we talk about how he ruined Exiles already?

Byrne is not Claremont.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that Byrne wanted to retcon Magneto's past as a Holocaust survivor to spite Claremont when he was writing X-Men: The Hidden Years.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

I've heard that Byrne wanted to retcon Magneto's past as a Holocaust survivor to spite Claremont when he was writing X-Men: The Hidden Years.

There is some value in spiting Claremont. :)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Byrne's worst sin in my opinion was how he stared at a whole decade of PAD-written Hulk and said "gently caress that". It ruined the character and his supporting cast in such a way that nobody had a clue on what to do with the Hulk afterwards until Greg Pak came along.

No good run on Fantastic Four can justify every bad thing Byrne did since, but his Hulk run after PAD is the closest thing I can think to horrible on how it completely hosed the status-quo permanently.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 16, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

There is some value in spiting Claremont. :)

Not on that. Like, of all the good x-stuff that we can trace to Claremont (and that's a lot of good stuff) Magneto as noble villain and witness to the ultimate in mans inhumanity to man is the biggest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

Not on that. Like, of all the good x-stuff that we can trace to Claremont (and that's a lot of good stuff) Magneto as noble villain and witness to the ultimate in mans inhumanity to man is the biggest.

I like to imagine that if you're trying to get a rise out Claremont, you'd probably have better luck with a panel were Storm says, "Actually, no, I'm not into bondage."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Depends on what you want rising.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Or have Nightcrawler say he doesn't actually have a forked dick.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Or have Nightcrawler say he doesn't actually have a forked dick.

Or have him say, "Oh, good grief, no!" when he learns his girlfriend is actually his sister in disguise, rather than, "Oh boy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Byrne's worst sin in my opinion was how he stared at a whole decade of PAD-written Hulk and said "gently caress that". It ruined the character and his supporting cast in such a way that nobody had a clue on what to do with the Hulk afterwards until Greg Pak came along.

No good run on Fantastic Four can justify every bad thing Byrne did since, but his Hulk run after PAD is the closest thing I can think to horrible on how it completely hosed the status-quo permanently.

Pretty sure Byrne's worst sin is the fact that for some reason creepy poo poo involving adult men and young girls happens to keep showing up in his work.

• Locked thread