Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

User-Friendly posted:

It tends to be pretty difficult to get a gun back that just exploded with enough force to blow a man's arm off.

One of the few things that was better in the Stallone movie. His gun just electrocuted the bad guy who took it instead of exploding. And yeah, losing your gun is kind of a big thing, especially for a probie; now you're unarmed, and the bad guy still has one perfectly good hand with which to beat you to death. It's more "indicator that this newbie has a tendency for loving up hardcore" than a thing that would get a veteran canned.

Jack Gladney posted:

This isn't exclusively a movie question, but I've noticed that in older science fiction--mostly the 1950s and 1960s--actors almost universally pronounce the word "robot" as "robutt," with a short o at the end--like how Dr. Zoidberg pronounces it on Futurama.

Does anyone know how or why the word changed so recently and quickly? Robot has been a word in English since 1920, and the most recent version of the older pronunciation I've heard is the dad in Lost in Space on tv in the 60s.

Kind of a stupid question, but it's always bothered me.
Easy part first: Zoidberg pronounces it that way because he's Jewish, and the Yiddish accent is a longstanding thing in comedy (e.g. Mel Brooks, et al).

Answer to the actual question: The word was coined by a Czech guy, who apparently pronounced it somewhere in between. Asimov, though, popularized "robot" in the modern sense, and he pronounced it "robutt":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWJJnQybZlk
Coincidentally, Asimov was a Russian Jew and had a bit of the Yiddish accent (it's more obvious in interviews from when he was older). I think it was probably originally pronounced that way because that's how Asimov pronounced it, and then shifted to match the spelling when other writers started using it because Americans are lazy when adopting foreign words.

Edit: also, the '60s was when people in movies started talking like real people instead of radio announcers/stage actors. Somebody had always pronounced it in the modern way, but that wasn't "proper" in the RP-equivalent standardized American movie accent back in the day.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mescal posted:

In the godfather ii, Michael doesn't let Kay say "what's wrong with Anthony." What's wrong with him?

I believe that's a cut subplot from the book, from what I recall, Anthony has a learning disability/speech disorder and Michael won't countenance it. The implication is that he won't be like his father, the reveal later that Kay had an abortion sends him over the edge with this in mind.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Doesn't book Michael not want his son to follow in his footsteps, similar to how Vito didn't want Michael to? I seem to remember the ending to the book implying a cycle- similar to how Kay ends up becoming similar to Michael's mother...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

At the end of Resolution, were the two main characters killed by Big Foot? Or could it have been this thing:

... from the movie poster? The positioning would be right...

The conceit of Resolution is that

you, the viewer, are the killer/stalker.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Hey, avid film readers (pim, SubG, et al): you know of any good writing on A) the history of the ratings system in general, but more specifically B) the history of X and NC-17? Having a harder time than I figured finding good stuff besides the occasional newspaper article on Google for my Box Office Mistakes contribution.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Criminal Minded posted:

Hey, avid film readers (pim, SubG, et al): you know of any good writing on A) the history of the ratings system in general, but more specifically B) the history of X and NC-17? Having a harder time than I figured finding good stuff besides the occasional newspaper article on Google for my Box Office Mistakes contribution.

Wasn't the documentary "This film is rated R" basically about this?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Wasn't the documentary "This film is rated R" basically about this?

I think you're thinking of "This Film Is Not Yet Rated," and that doc focuses a lot more on the modern hypocrisy of the MPAA than the history of the rating system.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I think you're thinking of "This Film Is Not Yet Rated," and that doc focuses a lot more on the modern hypocrisy of the MPAA than the history of the rating system.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. My bad. Carry on.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Have there been any good articles relating to the artistic use of shooting films in 3D? Like something where the 3D is designed to enhance the message or atmosphere of the film and not just used as a novelty to increase ticket sales.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wrong thread

CV 64 Fan fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 10, 2013

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Why in some cases do productions have to pay companies to use their logos (prompting reality shows to blur out caps, shirts, etc.), and in some cases companies pay them to use their brand (prompting product placement complaints)?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

Why in some cases do productions have to pay companies to use their logos (prompting reality shows to blur out caps, shirts, etc.), and in some cases companies pay them to use their brand (prompting product placement complaints)?

Its all about who signed off and what they want to be involved with. Blurring tends to happen when you have shows that are considered non-family orientated because companies don't want to be associated with them and will effectively give up free money to avoid the association.

The best of course is things like Blade 3 where the director put in a bunch of iPod stuff hoping Apple would pay for it and they laughed in his face and took the free advertising.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sometimes you might want to have the characters use some sort of brand product to make things seem more 'real' but the company might not be interested in paying to have their product or logo show up in your movie for some reason, maybe if you're making something like Chainsaw Scumfuck part III: Revelations and they don't want to be associated with that or something, so if you want to be allowed to use it you might have to pay.

I think one of the commentaries for Shaun of the Dead mentions that the scene where they turn on the tv but all the channels are just broadcasting their logos and some text about technical difficulties was one most expensive scenes in the entire film because of all the money spent on clearing the various logos.

Repo Man avoided this problem rather cleverly by having all the products be ultra-generic:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cigarettes for a dollar and ten, Jesus Christ.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fun fact on product placement; Beer companies are typically very uptight about being featured in a movie if a character is just pounding them to pound them or goes and does something stupid/dangerous/horrible while drunk. When the went to make Hellboy no beer company was willing to be Satan's child's beer of choice for his benders except Tecate who were just thrilled to be in a movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Fun fact on product placement; Beer companies are typically very uptight about being featured in a movie if a character is just pounding them to pound them or goes and does something stupid/dangerous/horrible while drunk. When the went to make Hellboy no beer company was willing to be Satan's child's beer of choice for his benders except Tecate who were just thrilled to be in a movie.

I guess that explains the prominently featured Steel Reserve in Grandma's Boy. They probably figure anyone who drinks their poo poo doesn't care if it leads to hooking up with a septuagenarian.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cigarettes for a dollar and ten, Jesus Christ.

Just one cigarette, it seems.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Just one cigarette, it seems.

Maybe it's like Canada where the plural of beer is beer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The director commentary on Donnie Darko is very educational as to how complicated these things can be. (Though I assume only on the original cut.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FreudianSlippers posted:

Repo Man avoided this problem rather cleverly by having all the products be ultra-generic:

I wish those were still around, things like Dr. Thunder are fun but I'd love to be able to sit down on a hot summer's day and drink some nice refreshing cola

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wish those were still around, things like Dr. Thunder are fun but I'd love to be able to sit down on a hot summer's day and drink some nice refreshing cola

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Barudak posted:

They are. They require the actors who drink the beer to be over the age of 25 in real life (good luck getting those real ages) so that there is 100% no confusion over whether their product is being consumed underage.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

User-Friendly posted:

Sometimes it's also a studio thing. The studio will have a policy that movies or shows can't feature product placement unless they get money out of it, and will prevent companies that didn't pay from appearing. They're reluctant to give out free advertising when much of their money (in the case of broadcast TV, all of it) is dependent on companies buying ads.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NeuroticErotica posted:

They are. They require the actors who drink the beer to be over the age of 25 in real life (good luck getting those real ages) so that there is 100% no confusion over whether their product is being consumed underage.

Theoretically they could do this with a lot of high school movies, in that case.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Repo Man avoided this problem rather cleverly by having all the products be ultra-generic

Repo's Man's generic brand was from Ralph's, or based off of Ralph's, I don't remember.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Theoretically they could do this with a lot of high school movies, in that case.

The character has to be above age as well. They want there to be no confusion, so the actor has to be well above age.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm sure there's a more recent example, but honestly the last time I remember a beer being called out by name in a movie was the first Fast and Furious movie, "You can have any beer you want, as long as it's Corona." And everyone in that movie was a least in their mid-twenties. (Given that I was 16 when that movie came out, I just realized how old Paul Walker and Vin Diesel are).

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

They're still drinking Corona in Furious 6 :)

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
They renounced life on beautiful island paradises specifically to drink coronas in a lovely part of LA. I dont think they even put limes in them.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeWUXV89w0g

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time

Barudak posted:

This is apparently a common occurrence in Hollywood. I Adam Carolla's movie The Hammer he wrote a scene where his character gets black out drunk and the only company that would allow their brand to be used without huge fees was Tecate.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this counts, but I'm at my wits end:

I know for a fact we had a thread about The Cabin In the Woods. I have search and archives, but no matter of inputs is finding it. I can find Film Dump posts, but not the actual thread.

Did someone delete it, or something?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this counts, but I'm at my wits end:

I know for a fact we had a thread about The Cabin In the Woods. I have search and archives, but no matter of inputs is finding it. I can find Film Dump posts, but not the actual thread.

Did someone delete it, or something?

I don't think search works for archives so it can be tough to find particular threads. At least, that's been my experience when looking for an old thread.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

2 seconds. Archives of 2013. Click "Horror" Tag.

Boom:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478708

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Luckluster posted:

This is apparently a common occurrence in Hollywood. I Adam Carolla's movie The Hammer he wrote a scene where his character gets black out drunk and the only company that would allow their brand to be used without huge fees was Tecate.

I'm trying to recall whether we've seen a Lenovo/Mac laptop used in hacking sequences....

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

WastedJoker posted:

I'm trying to recall whether we've seen a Lenovo/Mac laptop used in hacking sequences....

Surely you're forgetting the immortal scene where a Macbook hacks into an alien mothership and uploads a virus

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

regulargonzalez posted:

Surely you're forgetting the immortal scene where a Macbook hacks into an alien mothership and uploads a virus

I feel extremely embarrassed that I completely forgot about that

*hands in my cinema pass*

Return it only when I have completed the 10 Challenges of Herculean Movie Efforts.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah Apple were always good at product placement, giving free computers to film makers at a time when their PC rivals often made it difficult to use their stuff. It's why you get so many macs in movies.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

marktheando posted:

Yeah Apple were always good at product placement, giving free computers to film makers at a time when their PC rivals often made it difficult to use their stuff. It's why you get so many macs in movies.

Is that a fact? They were very pervasive during a period where they were the only computers that looked good on film. Does a free computer make much of a difference in that big movie budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Not just a free computer, but also the rights to use it on screen. That second part is usually the rub.