Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ratzap posted:

What sort of heating do you have? If you have radiators my girl cat loves her radiator hammock, they're cheap and easy to clean too. Below is Buffy smug and comfy in said hammock.

I got something similar set up for her at the moment, but it only heats her from the side so she'd rather bug us for body warmth. And in the future when the house is done we'll have floor heating instead. The elements at the house aren't always warm for some reason either, they decrease the heat during the day so the apartment gets pretty cold.

The electric option is what interests me the most because of how easy it is, just turn it on and leave it going. I don't mind paying a bit for the luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004
How long can ringworm lie dormant in a kitten? I posted a few pages back about rough edges around Gulliver's ears, but that turned to her ears getting a tiny bit patchy fur-wise over the past couple days. She went to the vet today for her first round of shots and a check up and the vet took a sample of hair/skin/whatever to do a test but said it would be several days before they know for sure. They gave me a topical ointment to rub on her ears in the mean time since they didn't want to give any oral antibiotics if she doesn't have it since she's still so tiny.

Problem is over the past couple days I've broken out in an itchy rash. It doesn't have the tell-tale ringworm 'ring', but I can't think of where else I could have gotten it. It is on my torso, though, and it's not like I rub the kitten all over me when I'm not wearing a shirt.

We've had Gulliver for about 5 weeks now. The ear stuff is the first sign of anything wrong, and she doesn't live around other cats yet, just a dog that has no signs of anything. I've given her a couple gentle baths because she had fleas when we got her, but tried to keep her head out of the water.

Am I really supposed to not touch her if she has it, or just avoid her ears as much as possible? Google is telling me touch her sparingly/wash hands after for several weeks. She's still such a little baby I hate the idea of not being able to give her tons of touchy-feely attention.

Plus, she's so dang cute I don't know how long I can hold out:

Is there anything else I can do for her, or just wait until I hear back from the vet and keep touching to a minimum? It would be nice if it just happened to be randomly coinciding events. Is there anything else that could affect her ears like that? The vet didn't even seem too worried other than a 'wash your hands a lot and we'll get back to you'.

Edit: Could it possibly be mange, or should the doc have picked up on that? The rough stuff on her ears is kind of thicker and.. cauliflowery almost? But nowhere near google image result level. Probably I should stop contemplating and just wait for results on ringworm...

triskadekaphilia fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 16, 2013

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
To all of you out there struggling to litter re-train/train your cat; do not give up hope. When my cat was around 6-7 months he suddenly decided he preferred to pee on my bed, along with a few of my housemate's, like multiple occurrences per day. After scouring the internet for answers I ended up finding an overwhelming amount of articles that read along the lines of "whelp, find a farm for him" which of course left me terrified. Thank god for my wonderful vet; who after deducing that we were not dealing with a UTI reassured me that my cat was still very young, and that if I worked on this I probably wouldn't have to give him up.

I have spent hundreds of dollars (as a 20something working a restaurant job, ouch) and gone through countless products. Sprays, foods, pheromone-spraying wall-plugins, about six cat litters, and a whole bunch of Nature's Miracle (buy that poo poo). What worked for me was Dr. Elsey's "Problem Cat" litter with Cat Attract. I write this in hopes of saving some of you out there some time and pain; try that first. Wish I had found this thread months sooner as well.

Lokee fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 17, 2013

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Our old cat always was kind of rambunctious at night, but ever since we got our new cat it's even worse. He wails all night and then around 4am he starts eating poo poo he's not supposed to, banging on our miniblinds, or knocking poo poo off my dresser. We tried ignoring it but he starts getting seriously destructive. If we lock him out, he scratches at the door and leaves scratch marks. We tried a spray bottle but it doesn't even bother him anymore. We feed him at 7am every morning, 4:00am is too drat early.

I haven't slept more than 4 hours in the past 3 days because of him. I don't know what to do anymore. We rent so I'm very worried about him scratching at the doors or breaking things. What's the general consensus around here for getting them to shut the gently caress up at 4am?

Edit: We tried tiring him out before bed. It does nothing.

Oh also he's a 3 year old neutered male, indoor cat. Kind of overweight.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shnooks posted:

Our old cat always was kind of rambunctious at night, but ever since we got our new cat it's even worse. He wails all night and then around 4am he starts eating poo poo he's not supposed to, banging on our miniblinds, or knocking poo poo off my dresser. We tried ignoring it but he starts getting seriously destructive. If we lock him out, he scratches at the door and leaves scratch marks. We tried a spray bottle but it doesn't even bother him anymore. We feed him at 7am every morning, 4:00am is too drat early.

I haven't slept more than 4 hours in the past 3 days because of him. I don't know what to do anymore. We rent so I'm very worried about him scratching at the doors or breaking things. What's the general consensus around here for getting them to shut the gently caress up at 4am?

I use a 2-tray timed feeder and a bowl and I divvy up a half-day's portion between them. Stuff in the bowl is immediately accessible, then I set the timers for the other bowls for 4 hours and 8 hours respectively. Works pretty well to stop my cats from 1) eating everything immediately and probably barfing it back up as a result, and 2) yelling at me in the morning.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Is he scared of the noise of the vacuum cleaner? If so: shut him out of the room, put the vacuum near the door switched to "on", plug it in next to your bed and turn the power off at the plug. When he scratches and yells at night, flick the plug on briefly so the vacuum turns on for a bit without you even having to get out of bed. Repeat until he stops.

If he isn't then you could try work out a similar set up with a noise he does hate (I've had luck with simply making a loud angry-cat-hissing noise before) or try shutting him in a different room at night that doesn't have things he can destroy and is far away enough that yowling won't wake you up.

Also, do you feed him as soon as you get up? It might help if you start only feeding him after you've gone about your own breakfast/shower/dressing/whatever routine so he associates getting food with that happening rather than with you getting up specifically.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

triskadekaphilia posted:

How long can ringworm lie dormant in a kitten? I posted a few pages back about rough edges around Gulliver's ears, but that turned to her ears getting a tiny bit patchy fur-wise over the past couple days. She went to the vet today for her first round of shots and a check up and the vet took a sample of hair/skin/whatever to do a test but said it would be several days before they know for sure. They gave me a topical ointment to rub on her ears in the mean time since they didn't want to give any oral antibiotics if she doesn't have it since she's still so tiny.

Problem is over the past couple days I've broken out in an itchy rash. It doesn't have the tell-tale ringworm 'ring', but I can't think of where else I could have gotten it. It is on my torso, though, and it's not like I rub the kitten all over me when I'm not wearing a shirt.

We've had Gulliver for about 5 weeks now. The ear stuff is the first sign of anything wrong, and she doesn't live around other cats yet, just a dog that has no signs of anything. I've given her a couple gentle baths because she had fleas when we got her, but tried to keep her head out of the water.

Am I really supposed to not touch her if she has it, or just avoid her ears as much as possible? Google is telling me touch her sparingly/wash hands after for several weeks. She's still such a little baby I hate the idea of not being able to give her tons of touchy-feely attention.

Plus, she's so dang cute I don't know how long I can hold out:

Is there anything else I can do for her, or just wait until I hear back from the vet and keep touching to a minimum? It would be nice if it just happened to be randomly coinciding events. Is there anything else that could affect her ears like that? The vet didn't even seem too worried other than a 'wash your hands a lot and we'll get back to you'.

Edit: Could it possibly be mange, or should the doc have picked up on that? The rough stuff on her ears is kind of thicker and.. cauliflowery almost? But nowhere near google image result level. Probably I should stop contemplating and just wait for results on ringworm...
If you let her hang out on your bed before the flea baths, that's probably where your itchy rash has come from. It takes a long time to get rid of fleas in a dwelling, especially if you don't change your sheets every week (and who the gently caress bothers to do that? I don't). You need to gas your bedroom with flea spray and check Gulliver for fleas daily, and go over her with a flea comb twice a week if you find them.

I don't know what the thing on her ears could be because I haven't experienced that before, but I have had the bed flea thing happen before thanks to a new neighbour with adorable flea cats. I hung out with those cats, brought fleas into our house, gave my cat fleas, and gave all of us fleas. It took months to get rid of all the fleas in our house, and that was after we realised that our beds and pillows were awesome flea campgrounds.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 16, 2013

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004

Fruity Gordo posted:

If you let her hang out on your bed before the flea baths, that's probably where your itchy rash has come from. It takes a long time to get rid of fleas in a dwelling, especially if you don't change your sheets every week (and who the gently caress bothers to do that? I don't). You need to gas your bedroom with flea spray and check Gulliver for fleas daily, and go over her with a flea comb twice a week if you find them.

I don't know what the thing on her ears could be because I haven't experienced that before, but I have had the bed flea thing happen before thanks to a new neighbour with adorable flea cats. I hung out with those cats, brought fleas into our house, gave my cat fleas, and gave all of us fleas. It took months to get rid of all the fleas in our house, and that was after we realised that our beds and pillows were awesome flea campgrounds.

We actually got rid of the fleas basically the first couple days I think, before she was ever on any beds or outside her box for anything besides feeding. The vet combed her out the day after we found her, and she got her first bath shortly after that. She was pretty much quarantined and everything she laid on was washed a thousand times anyways since she was a tiny kitten and formula/ cat mess got on basically everything. Plus I haven't seen any sign of flea dust or actual fleas since then, though I've kept an eye on it since I couldn't give her any flea meds yet due to age and have flea combed her multiple times myself just in case.

They do look more like bites on me than ringworm, though, which is why I'm wondering about mange/feline scabies. Google says the mites can transfer to people, just only live a few days. I mean, it could definitely be fleas, but I've never gotten attacked this bad without finding the other signs of them before. Either way bedding/ squishy stuff is all getting the something nasty and contagious treatment. Thank god for tile floors.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

My vet recommended that I start adding C.E.T. AquaDent to my cat's drinking water about two months ago. I hadn't thought anything of it until I started reading reviews of it recently. Some folks are concerned that one of the ingredients is Xylitol, which they claim is toxic to pets. Have any of you had any experience with C.E.T. AquaDent? Should I stop using it?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Lokee posted:

To all of you out there struggling to litter re-train/train your cat; do not give up hope. When my cat was around 6-7 months he suddenly decided he preferred to pee on my bed, along with a few of my housemate's, like multiple occurrences per day. After scouring the internet for answers I ended up finding an overwhelming amount of articles that read along the lines of "whelp, find a farm for him" which of course left me terrified. Thank god for my wonderful vet; who after deducing that we were not dealing with a UTI reassured me that my cat was still very young, and that if I worked on this I probably wouldn't have to give him up.
I have spent hundreds of dollars (as a 20something working a restaurant job, ouch) and gone through countless products. Sprays, foods, pheromone-spraying wall-plugins, about brands and types six cat litters, and a whole bunch of Nature's Miracle (buy that poo poo). What worked for me was Dr. Elsey's "Problem Cat" litter with Cat Attract. I write this in hopes of saving some of you out there some time and pain; try that first. Wish I had found this thread months sooner as well.

It's true. It'd be great to get this added to the OP or something because I feel like the Cat Attract can help with 90% of non-medical problem pissers.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Organza Quiz posted:

Is he scared of the noise of the vacuum cleaner? If so: shut him out of the room, put the vacuum near the door switched to "on", plug it in next to your bed and turn the power off at the plug. When he scratches and yells at night, flick the plug on briefly so the vacuum turns on for a bit without you even having to get out of bed. Repeat until he stops.

If he isn't then you could try work out a similar set up with a noise he does hate (I've had luck with simply making a loud angry-cat-hissing noise before) or try shutting him in a different room at night that doesn't have things he can destroy and is far away enough that yowling won't wake you up.

Also, do you feed him as soon as you get up? It might help if you start only feeding him after you've gone about your own breakfast/shower/dressing/whatever routine so he associates getting food with that happening rather than with you getting up specifically.

Unfortunately, it isn't afraid of the vacuum cleaner :( We haven't found anything he's really afraid of that would deter him from doing something. Hell, he sleeps on his cat carrier and kind of enjoys going to the vet. We've tried yelping and hissing and nothing deters him.

The problem isn't really the yowling when we lock him up, it's the scratching. We rent and he's scratched our doors enough to cause some damage. We love when he sleeps with us but this too much.

We don't feed him first thing. I get up at 6 and feed him around 7 almost every day of the week.

I have noticed since we got our new cat that his 4am shenanigans has intensified, and that when we feed him he eats all of his food at once now, versus before when he grazed.

oishii
Aug 13, 2006
hat
I finally broke down and got a Sssscat; it seems to work pretty well so far, maybe you could try that and put it just outside the door?

Is he still all crazy if you separate the cats at night? (He sleeps in the room with you, the other cat outside) I've been dealing with this as well (a kitty who is super passive aggressive to try to get me up - plus 3 other cats), and I've just had to separate them based on who is the least noisy... I also got earplugs.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Shnooks posted:

Unfortunately, it isn't afraid of the vacuum cleaner :( We haven't found anything he's really afraid of that would deter him from doing something. Hell, he sleeps on his cat carrier and kind of enjoys going to the vet. We've tried yelping and hissing and nothing deters him.

The problem isn't really the yowling when we lock him up, it's the scratching. We rent and he's scratched our doors enough to cause some damage. We love when he sleeps with us but this too much.

We don't feed him first thing. I get up at 6 and feed him around 7 almost every day of the week.

I have noticed since we got our new cat that his 4am shenanigans has intensified, and that when we feed him he eats all of his food at once now, versus before when he grazed.

SssCat? Upside down plastic office mat under the door? (The kind with pointy nubs)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

oishii posted:

I finally broke down and got a Sssscat; it seems to work pretty well so far, maybe you could try that and put it just outside the door?

Is he still all crazy if you separate the cats at night? (He sleeps in the room with you, the other cat outside) I've been dealing with this as well (a kitty who is super passive aggressive to try to get me up - plus 3 other cats), and I've just had to separate them based on who is the least noisy... I also got earplugs.

It's even WORSE if they're separated. When we had them separated we couldn't sleep at all because he was wailing and scratching trying to get to the new cat.

It's not even really the noise that I'm concerned about, like I've said. It's the damage done to the doors and the potential for him to find something new to chew on. We have to pick everything from the floor up by like 3 feet to make sure he wont eat anything. We have shelving in our kitchen that goes from the floor up and we can't even put bags or saran wrap without him chewing it. He's also started chewing on the refrigerator door :wtc:

Engineer Lenk posted:

SssCat? Upside down plastic office mat under the door? (The kind with pointy nubs)

I don't think texture freaks him out too much. We tried the aluminium foil and he tried to eat that.

We want to try Ssscat but we need like 4 of them, so we're saving some money for them.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
I have talked about Benjamin on here before, he's the 6 month old (ish) kitten that we adopted after he had his throat torn by attacking dogs.

He's super annoying as he insists on clawing at the carpet all the time. Day or night, it doesn't matter. Scare him away from one spot, he goes right for a different spot. We have two scratching posts in the house, one in our bedroom one on the landing (down stairs in wooden flooring) so he has plenty of opportunity to scratch on those instead.

There are bald spots on the carpet, mostly around doorways where he has pulled up the carpet.

You may remember that I think he is deaf/partially deaf as he doesn't jump when I clap or shout near him, so sound isn't a deterrent. He wants to play with tin foil so putting that down hasn't worked.

I am tempted to put ground pepper on the floor to see if that stops him, but I don't know if thats too mean. Our other cat has used the scratch posts infront of Benjamin Cat and he hasn't mimic'ed the behaviour like I hope he would have done. He seems to be super smart and is able to play fetch but my partner is home all day as she works from home so he gets plenty of fuss and he has started going outside in the garden, so he can't be bored.

What can I do to make him stop scratching the carpet bare?

Bonus video of playing fetch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q-GcZSAbz8

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Have you tried putting a scratching post prone, so he can scratch on a horizontal surface? Maybe get a scratching post with carpet on it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah he may not be a vertical scratcher. You can get those scratching pads made of cardboard that lay on the floor. He might like those. They are pretty cheap too! Get like 3 of them

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

eliotlucas posted:

My vet recommended that I start adding C.E.T. AquaDent to my cat's drinking water about two months ago. I hadn't thought anything of it until I started reading reviews of it recently. Some folks are concerned that one of the ingredients is Xylitol, which they claim is toxic to pets. Have any of you had any experience with C.E.T. AquaDent? Should I stop using it?

In the right amounts, xylitol is toxic to pets. However, I'm pretty certain the amount in CET is far, far below that at normal dosing.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Geno posted:

Talked to my vet, she suggested I not feed my cat Purina dry food at all (even with water). She suggested me getting some prescription dry food which is like $18 for 4 pounds. I'll try this for now..maybe find a cheaper dry food online later?
My cat hasn’t been drinking water from the new pet fountain I got him or his old water container that he always used to drink. The only times I see him drink water is when I mix his wet food and dry food and put water in it. He pretty much slurps it all up until all the water is gone and the food is dry so it does seem like he’s thirsty.

Any advice? I’ve heard about putting ice cubes in the food so he can try to lick it but I dunno what else to do.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Is there any sign that this cat has some Bengal in it? My roommate said one parent was a tabby and the other a Bengal. I don't know if I trust her but the markings look kind of Bengal-ish and it is VERY vocal, also it follows people around often.

Sorry for the lovely pictures.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
He looks like a generic tabby to me? :confused:

(Generic brown tabbies are the best cats, to be fair.)

\/ Ain't hurting anyone. :v: \/

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 17, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

DressCodeBlue posted:

He looks like a generic tabby to me? :confused:

(Generic brown tabbies are the best cats, to be fair.)

Yeah I don't know cat patterns and breeds too well, even though I've been around them all my life pretty much. Should I just let my roommate keep saying "That's the bengal in him!" every time he meows? Hahaha

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Hey I've got a cat question!

My cat (Glados, pictured) is 4, and recently, when I scratch her on her back at the base of her tail, she involuntarily seems to lick the air, or licks herself, or if I'm petting her from the front, pushes her head into my arm. It's adorable, and I've heard of and seen similiar behaviors in other cats, but I can't find anything legitimate seeming on the internet that offers an explanation of it, or at least an assurance that it isn't a problem. Anyone got anything on this?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So I put our old cat's bed back the way it was before and he hasn't made a peep all night :catstare:. I used part of a blanket from it since Sunday because it was chilly, but I didn't need it anymore.

Cats :catstare:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I bought that electric heating pad for my cat. It's got a thermostat so it's max 98F or body temp, so it'd be like sleeping on a person.

Speaking of scratching posts, our cat really likes the one we got her several years ago:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
That's badass. I really want to make one and put it in my basement for the boys.

How are the pedestals attached? Mortises?

edit: In case its necessary, these are the cats who would use it:

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 17, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

an skeleton posted:

Is there any sign that this cat has some Bengal in it? My roommate said one parent was a tabby and the other a Bengal. I don't know if I trust her but the markings look kind of Bengal-ish and it is VERY vocal, also it follows people around often.

Sorry for the lovely pictures.

Bengals are far glossier, even as kittens. They also don't really come in that tabby gray color. They have more of a leopard coloration, a warm tan with darker rosettes.

I suppose it could be part bengal and you'd see the characteristics more strongly as it grows, but that cat looks pretty much just like any ol' tabby to me. Following people around and meowing a lot just sounds like a normal kitten that wants attention to me.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone here know much about cats getting nosebleeds when they have a cold? We got Milo last Tuesday and he came with an URI. He had a fever so we were giving him some antibiotics. Tuesday we noticed crusted blood around his nose so we took him to the vet again who said it was probably from inflammation and sneezing.

I thought it was getting better but he's got blood crusted around his nose again. He's still sneezing and sniffling but he's much more lively than when we first got him. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Should I be really concerned? The vet didn't seem too concerned and recommended saline drops before doing any labwork.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Teddy's had little bits of dried blood around her nostrils when she's had a cold before, your puss'll be fine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PFlats posted:

That's badass. I really want to make one and put it in my basement for the boys.

How are the pedestals attached? Mortises?

Yeah mortise and tenon style, and a big nail hammered in at an angle to keep it there. It's been many years now and the bark is falling off several of them. I am considering nailing them in with small nails or using glue.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
I trust goons more than google. Girlfriend's cats have tapeworms. I'm out of town for two weeks and she can't get anyone to get her to the vet with 6 friggin' cats until I get back. Over the counter tapeworm meds that work? Or wait two weeks?

Atleast I think it's tapeworms. Rice-looking things in the butt area. Some sort of wormy thing.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

weavernaut posted:

Have you tried putting a scratching post prone, so he can scratch on a horizontal surface? Maybe get a scratching post with carpet on it.

We made these out of wine boxes. Cut a box down to 3 inches tall, cut the sides that came off into strips that will fit vertically into the 3 inch tray bit (may require more boxes - buy more wine!). Use wallpaper paste with a sprinkle of catnip on the inserted strips (this is messy) sprinkle more catnip on top and put somewhere cat secure to dry off.
These things last forever and ever my carpet scratcher tom will walk over to this instead and claw at it.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well I bought that electric heating pad for my cat. It's got a thermostat so it's max 98F or body temp, so it'd be like sleeping on a person.

Could you post what you went for please? I might treat mine for xmas.

antisocial86 posted:

Atleast I think it's tapeworms. Rice-looking things in the butt area. Some sort of wormy thing.

Those are tapeworm egg pods yes. Profender, advocat (make sure this one is the cat one) as dropons, you can get wormer tablets if you think you can get pills into them and also powder to shake on their food but with 6 that's probably a bad idea.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Just call your vet. Depending on the vet they might just ask for a fecal sample and then give you the dewormer without seeing the cats if they're patients there.

Are they outdoor cats? They get tapeworms from eating fleas or ingesting an animal that had one. I'd check the house for fleas too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ratzap posted:

Could you post what you went for please? I might treat mine for xmas.

Sure, it was this one here:
http://m.zooplus.com/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/thermal_heated_blankets/264463?previousProductGroupId=74770

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A couple weeks ago, the Seattle Humane Society had a free adoption weekend. My current cat, Molly, has been a little bit of a poo poo. It was understandable, since when my ex and I broke up, we separated two cats. I decided it was time to get Molly a friend, so I picked up this little guy:

Meet Raiden. Sweet little guy. He's literally attacking the screen now as I write this. When I got him, he had an upper respiratory infection with some goop in his, which is common in shelter cats. Doc gave me some clavamox and eye drops to administer for a week. That's done and he's much better (still a little sneezing but nothing like it was in the first few days). I also introduced him to Molly, and in less than a week, this happened:

(pardon the instragram filter. My roommate took this)

I've never had two cats get along so quickly. Molly has been much calmer lately too!

Only problem is now Molly is sneezing and has a bit of a runny nose with some goop in her eyes now :( she must have caught Raiden's cold.

My question: should I give her some of the antibiotics that I got for Raiden? I still have some left. Same with the eye drops. And should I be isolating them as well? I don't know if the cold can 'volley' between the two of them. She's still eating, drinking and everything. Though she's a bit sleepier.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Serella posted:

Bengals are far glossier, even as kittens. They also don't really come in that tabby gray color. They have more of a leopard coloration, a warm tan with darker rosettes.

I suppose it could be part bengal and you'd see the characteristics more strongly as it grows, but that cat looks pretty much just like any ol' tabby to me. Following people around and meowing a lot just sounds like a normal kitten that wants attention to me.

Not all Bengals have glitter coats, and especially not Bengal crosses. Also, a cross could give you any color - we had silver grey and orange 1st gen Bengal-Japanese Bobtail mixes in our genetics colony. The rosettes are actually pretty stunning in silver grey. Here's one (on the left/foreground here, the other cat is a cross between a DSH and a Bengal/DSH). You can really see the difference in the clarity of the markings between a first generation and later generation cross here.

That being said I don't think the cat posted here is a Bengal cross at all. They're usually pretty distinctive in the ears and face, even mixes, and typically have a white spotted underbelly rather than lighter version of their base colors.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
We had a beautiful silver and apricot Bengal as a client. He wasn't glossy but I'd pay so much money to have one like him.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Hi cat thread! I haven't read all 300 pages so it's possible my question has come up before, but I'm in the process of adopting a pair of kittens. We've been to meet them at the fosterer's house already and I just had our home visit/interview with an RSPCA volunteer to make sure we'll be good owners which went great, so now I'm at the 'buy a bunch of stuff in preparation for bringing them home' stage.

I've been making loads of notes and researching what food/litter/toys to get them and how to look after them(I've had cats before when I was younger, but I've never been the Responsible Adult for them before so I'm making sure I'm on top of everything possible) but one question I have doesn't seem to have been addressed. The pair we're adopting are already litter-trained which is great, but I'm prepared for the eventuality that they will likely pee/poop somewhere they shouldn't at some point. I've read about cleaners for cloth and carpets which is grand, but 90% of our house is wooden floors(actual wood, not laminate) and I'm not sure what type of cleaner for cat-accidents would work best on that. I'm about to pop out to our local pet supply shop and will ask them if they have any ideas, but I figured this would be a good place to ask too. I'm in the UK so products available here would be preferable!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Can anybody recommend a cat fountain that is decorative and not $130? I want to get one for Ozma and I would put it in the living room, so something attractive I can set on a side table would be ideal (cats hang out a lot on the arm is f a chair right next to a table). All the fountains I can find are ugly plastic, ceramic that reminds me of a urinal, or cute and hand crafted but $130.

...can cats safely drink from ordinary decorative fountains? I feel weird for wanting this but I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

Can anybody recommend a cat fountain that is decorative and not $130? I want to get one for Ozma and I would put it in the living room, so something attractive I can set on a side table would be ideal (cats hang out a lot on the arm is f a chair right next to a table). All the fountains I can find are ugly plastic, ceramic that reminds me of a urinal, or cute and hand crafted but $130.

...can cats safely drink from ordinary decorative fountains? I feel weird for wanting this but I do.

Here's an Etsy store that's selling for around $75. Not exactly cheap, but less than $100.