Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
you could steam the envelopes open and then reseal with glue sticks or rubber cement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
Why do people (i.e family and friends) get angry and spiteful when you tell them that instead of having a wedding, engagement photos, a reception, etc etc etc. that you plan on just ballin' out on a nice week long island vacation complete with a marriage license and small ceremony.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Because it doesn't conform with their idea of What A Wedding Should Be™ and therefore they get upset. People get upset over the most trivial poo poo when it comes to weddings. Currently I'm caught in some strife over what kind of shoes I'm going to wear down the aisle, none of which was instigated by me :psyduck: I just decided to buy new shoes, dammit. I didn't realize people could get so offended over shoes.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Totally Normal posted:

Why do people (i.e family and friends) get angry and spiteful when you tell them that instead of having a wedding, engagement photos, a reception, etc etc etc. that you plan on just ballin' out on a nice week long island vacation complete with a marriage license and small ceremony.

Don't give in dude. My mom had a fit when I told her I was going to just go to the courthouse (I am painfully shy and cheap and hate big family things because my whole family is super pushy). She insisted we have at least a small wedding and she would pay for everything and let me make all the decisions. I went through with it hoping that would be the end of it. Now our whole family drives me crazy about not being invited or getting pictures or whatever other thing. We would have been better off pissing them off once than hearing about it forever. The past year+ of my life has revolved around how I did things so wrong and what I should do now to correct it for them.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Loving these pictures. Loving them so hard. Well worth all that time you spent trying to find the damned photobooth!

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Totally Normal posted:

They're just envious they didn't do that exact same thing and threw away thousands of dollars on 'wedding industry' items.

Also what the hell, small town? I've been contacting hair and beauty places and one joint told me they've been booked out on that weekend for months with at least 3 wedding parties coming through that morning on the Saturday starting from 7 am! Our photographer told us a horror story about a literal queue of wedding parties wanting to get The Shot(TM) in front of this abandoned rustic house. I nearly spat with disgust. Not looking forward to having to defend our (booked) gazebo in the park against the marauding hordes of all the other weddings happening that weekend that will no doubt parade through. Should have planned for the dead of winter.

I'm not even mentioning my hair and makeup is going to be for my wedding ceremony later in the day, I've told them it's for an outdoor photoshoot. The less this looks like a 'wedding industry' wedding the better. Plus hopefully this dodges the 15-20% wedding markup vendors are notorious for here.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

nyerf posted:

This is pretty much what we're aiming for too. No wedding party = saves money and hassle. We're not doing readings/speeches/toasts either, not officially scheduled ones anyway. My very vague thoughts for the day (and we probably should firm this up fast since it's only 2 months away) are:

My main problem at the moment is trying to even get the flow of events in the weeks leading up to the day decided. I still haven't managed to find a caterer that will sell us just 3 or 4 platters of food rather than per head/per plate type arrangements. It's doing my head in. I want a Mom/Pop type caterer that will do enough food just for a picnic lunch for 20-30 people and that's it, and every single one I've turned up either wants to charge through the nose per head or else per piece of finger food. Seriously, $2.25 for a 2" sized party pie? F that, I can make my own! I just don't know if we have the time...I've got one week before the big day to sort out making all of this happen!

I know that this is from a few pages back, but just a thought, don't tell the caterer that it is for a wedding. If I thought that I could get away with it, I would do it in a second. With that few people, you could purchase the food and even rent the warming dishes and just have someone pick it up and set it up for you in your reception area. I hate telling vendors that I am doing this for a wedding because I feel that the price increases by at least 25% if not 50% when the word wedding is attached.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Totally Normal posted:

You're not alone, man.

We're explaining the deal to people one by one, the more we emphasize "hey, it'll just be a cool-rear end party" the more they seem to be mollified, but family is having a rough go with the "no goddamn ceremony" bit of our plans.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Jeez, now that I'm engaged I have no idea how anyone pays for weddings. I'm considering taking a second job and somehow freelance to fund even a really small wedding. We already have a tentative 80 'must invites' on our early guest list (we just wanted a headcount so we could figure out a venue). We're hoping to have 100-110 guests top.

At this point I'm considering corporate sponsorship. We can have a traditional "Tyler Perry presents: Rob and Beth's Doritos Locos Wedding, brought to you by Dawn Dishsoap."

Seriously, beyond being really really frugal and getting a second job, is there any good tips for saving/making cash for weddings?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
What's your current budget? Everyone has cost-saving tips but to get useful information it helps to have a frame if reference. Money-saving/value-getting tips for a $10,000 budget will be different than those for a $2,000 budget.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
The number #1 tip of course is to reduce the budget.

Followed quickly by the #2 tip of sticking to the new budget.

More seriously - you need to decide what is actually important to you.

Lots of things have a per person cost - food, drinks, the cake, favors, and stationary and postage. Cutting down the guest list is probably the easiest way to save.

From there its more about picking areas where you can economize and where you would rather spend - maybe a clearance wedding dress from last season instead of something new from Davids Bridal, a cash bar instead of an open bar, appitizers instead of dinner, an ipod over the venue's speakers instead of a DJ, skipping favors and the wedding cake.

Initio fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 16, 2013

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Jeez, now that I'm engaged I have no idea how anyone pays for weddings. I'm considering taking a second job and somehow freelance to fund even a really small wedding. We already have a tentative 80 'must invites' on our early guest list (we just wanted a headcount so we could figure out a venue). We're hoping to have 100-110 guests top.

At this point I'm considering corporate sponsorship. We can have a traditional "Tyler Perry presents: Rob and Beth's Doritos Locos Wedding, brought to you by Dawn Dishsoap."

Seriously, beyond being really really frugal and getting a second job, is there any good tips for saving/making cash for weddings?

Reducing guest count is huge. You may think 100 people is a small wedding, but it really isn't. Ours was "small" at around 60 and it still didn't really feel that small since the space was just big enough for how many we had and it felt populated and hopping despite being a smaller wedding.

And yes we sprang for some Nice Things (venue, food) so it cost an arm and a leg but both our parents helped which defrayed it almost completely (and to be fair, they probably cared more that it was a nice wedding than we did). Definitely see how involved your families want to be because THEY may care to make sure it's not a potluck in the park and help out accordingly.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah, that happened to us. We started out with maybe 70 people on the guest list, and were looking at doing some cheapo catering deal. Then our parents offered to help out, and things got a bit more elaborate. The guest list ballooned to 140, and we started thinking about some extra stuff like an actual photographer, nicer food, etc. Ultimately we ended up with about 115 guests, and a final cost, from invitations to food to the shuttle bus back to the hotel, for $16,000. That was WAY more than I ever thought we'd spend, but with various family members kicking in, it didn't cost us anything. At the same time the quality of music, food etc. blew some other weddings, where I know the cost was topping like $25,000, out of the water.

That's why the ballpark budget helps, you need to know if you're going for the absolute lowest cost, or trying to get the best bang for your buck. Really we were lucky with family helping out, but we could have shaved off several thousand dollars from the bill if we had too. It's just that an aunt or something would pipe in and say "oh I'll give you some money to help pay for a shuttle bus" or something.

So then you look at what you want the party to have, and what resources you have to make that happen. For us, we hired a school bus rather than a fancy coach. Still gets people to and from the reception, but cost a lot less.

EDIT: As far as reducing the guest count to save money, it depends on how you set up the reception. Since we just hired out a restaurant for the evening, the cost was based on a lump sum of food ordered, rather than a per-person cost. We also did a per-drink cost at the bar rather than a per-guest-hour. This meant that the overall bill didn't scale lineraly with the guest count, and most guests more than covered the cost if food and drink with their gifts.

Bottom line, when figuring out your guest list and cost, it helps to divide things that actually scale with the guests, and things that don't. For example, your dress, photographer, officiant, etc. are all a lump sum. For us the non-guest related costs were half the total bill, so adding on 20 people to the guest list only increased the cost by maybe a couple hundred dollars for another tray of food and a few more appetizers.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 16, 2013

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I am doing this for a wedding because I feel that the price increases by at least 25% if not 50% when the word wedding is attached.

Part of the reason for this is because weddings are always a hassle for a vendor.

If you don't tell your photographer that it's for a wedding they might show up with the wrong camera or lighting rig for the day. You're risking having bad photos, or no photos.

Keep in mind that the vendor contracts aren't enforceable if you've negotiated in bad faith. Vendors can, and do, walk out if they think you've tried to be sneaky to get a discount.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its just all so new and overwhelming. We're not 100% sure if her folks can help foot the bill, and we certainly know my Mom can't help.

We still don't fully know what our budget is. The place we really like is slightly more expensive than we expected (3,000-4,000 for the venue, 500 for the ceremony, 99$ a person for food) so we're a little disappointed.

The area we want to splurg is for an open bar. That might end up costing us extra but after about 5-6 weddings without an open bar, we really really just want one. We'll have to cut back somewhere else but its what we want. We heard doing a buffet is actually cheaper than doing plate service. This is good news because frankly we wanted a buffet anyway.

I might get a part time job, or ask my few friends who own businesses if I can help. I already started selling my collection of magic cards. She has summers off from Guidance Counseling, so shes going to either teach a class or get a seasonal job.

I think we're going to make a budget tonight and figure out what we can afford and what we can save. I might suggest making an ultimatum to her parents saying "We can afford 60 guests, unless you help." That feels dick-ish even if they traditionally fund weddings. They're under a lot of financial pressure already and I don't want to add to it. Ideally I want to somehow fund this on my own.

E: Also I don't want them to twist my arm if they fund it. We want a non-traditional wedding. They don't.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 16, 2013

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
My Fiancee (Goon TheFuglyStick) and I have been together for 3 years and engaged for 1 year and we have decided to set a date. We go today to see a venue but I am not sure of the pricing that they do. They do the pricing based on number of guests, and they do all of your flowers and decor for you and depending on what you choose, it changes the price. I am going to give them a shot, but I have my doubts!

real question though, how did you guys set your budget? We currently live somewhat paycheck to paycheck. I am waiting on a call for a second job and we plan on putting a majority of our taxes toward the wedding, but I do not have a good idea of what I want to spend overall. On the same note, how do you approach family about contributing to the wedding? I know that my parents cannot contribute but my grandmother might and his parents might. I just don't know how to ask without sounding greedy.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
The major lesson I learned through this process is decide then inform.

I saved myself weeks of arguing and stress when I started doing this with all decisions my parents didn't agree with. Everything from the wedding date to the cake toppers. They can bitch till they're blue in the face but they'll have to accept it eventually.

Edit: budgets:

What we did was look up the major vendors in our area to get an idea of what the average cost for each was then added them up to see what that came out to so we weren't setting our budget so low we couldn't afford anything. Then after the "oh holy poo poo that's a lot of dollars" moment we figured out where we could trim and what we were willing to splurge on. In our case we splurged on photography but all but axed the flowers (flowers are stupidly expensive). We're not doing favors and we're having an open bar but with a limited drink menu so we can buy bulk cases of only a few types of liquor. Our food is a buffet instead of per plate so we don't waste as much food and don't have to pay for additional wait staff.

That being said we blew our budget out of the water with our venue. The venue is well over half our total budget.

And you will go over budget so aim low. All said and done we'll be about 5 grand over because I forgot to add cake and music into our original budget and I didn't realize how expensive invitations are.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 16, 2013

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Its just all so new and overwhelming. We're not 100% sure if her folks can help foot the bill, and we certainly know my Mom can't help.

We still don't fully know what our budget is. The place we really like is slightly more expensive than we expected (3,000-4,000 for the venue, 500 for the ceremony, 99$ a person for food) so we're a little disappointed.

The area we want to splurg is for an open bar. That might end up costing us extra but after about 5-6 weddings without an open bar, we really really just want one. We'll have to cut back somewhere else but its what we want. We heard doing a buffet is actually cheaper than doing plate service. This is good news because frankly we wanted a buffet anyway.

I might get a part time job, or ask my few friends who own businesses if I can help. I already started selling my collection of magic cards. She has summers off from Guidance Counseling, so shes going to either teach a class or get a seasonal job.

I think we're going to make a budget tonight and figure out what we can afford and what we can save. I might suggest making an ultimatum to her parents saying "We can afford 60 guests, unless you help." That feels dick-ish even if they traditionally fund weddings. They're under a lot of financial pressure already and I don't want to add to it. Ideally I want to somehow fund this on my own.

E: Also I don't want them to twist my arm if they fund it. We want a non-traditional wedding. They don't.

Boston weddings are not cheap at all, if that's where you're looking (but honestly, that quoted price is on the low end around here). Take a look at western Mass, NH, RI, etc. and prices dive by >50%.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's extremely true. Anything Worcester-wards will be much cheaper venue-wise (historical building, whatever), and probably vendor-wise as well. You can make people drive an extra half hour.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

disheveled posted:

Boston weddings are not cheap at all, if that's where you're looking (but honestly, that quoted price is on the low end around here). Take a look at western Mass, NH, RI, etc. and prices dive by >50%.

True of the Philly area also. Go an hour outside of the city and everything drops significantly.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

silvergoose posted:

That's extremely true. Anything Worcester-wards will be much cheaper venue-wise (historical building, whatever), and probably vendor-wise as well. You can make people drive an extra half hour.

Oh yeah this. We paid a premium to have the (admittedly awesome) venue we wanted in Boston-proper and it turned out you are required to use their in-house caterer who charges a ridiculous amount per person, even buffet-style! It was worth it to us and our families, but we also had friends who got married in historical buildings out in Framingham and such and could bring in their (much cheaper) outside caterer.

Also consider venues that aren't specifically for weddings like anywhere that has a "wedding package" is probably tacking on a premium. A library in the 'burbs for instance might have a nice space they would be willing to rent out for cheap. Call around and keep your eyes open when you're out and about for "hey could we see ourselves getting married here." You may encounter something fitting AND affordable.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I'll second the idea to phone up random cool places directly and ask.
I ended up having a reception in Cardiff Castle for about £400 for the cost of the room & £700 for food for about 25 people, just because they happened to have the room still going and people wrongly thought it would be crazy expensive so they had trouble filling it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

disheveled posted:

We're actually south shore of boston and have found at least 2 affordable venues, and only one that we like strictly from the website. Theres a lot of cheaper ones north of boston too, but we may avoid them just because they'll be a hike for most of the family.

The one we fell in love with is North of Boston though :(.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 16, 2013

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

We started pricing out a wedding and were looking at a year of planning and at least $10k and we realized a wedding wasn't important enough to us to wait so long and spend so much- we just wanted to be married.

So we're doing a little self-uniting ceremony at home with our immediate family only (8 people total). We're doing it between Christmas and New Years so we can see both sides of our family immediately before and after the "wedding" (we would have seen them anyway)- that way we can celebrate with them without having to organize anything separately. I'm going to buy a cute dress and buy a bunch of white flowers for the house and bake a cake, and that's about it. Honestly even that seems like a bit much to me and half of me wants to fully elope and just do it already, but I can wait another 2 months I guess. As soon as we decided not to have a wedding we both felt reallly relieved.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Plus_Infinity posted:

We started pricing out a wedding and were looking at a year of planning and at least $10k and we realized a wedding wasn't important enough to us to wait so long and spend so much- we just wanted to be married.

So we're doing a little self-uniting ceremony at home with our immediate family only (8 people total). We're doing it between Christmas and New Years so we can see both sides of our family immediately before and after the "wedding" (we would have seen them anyway)- that way we can celebrate with them without having to organize anything separately. I'm going to buy a cute dress and buy a bunch of white flowers for the house and bake a cake, and that's about it. Honestly even that seems like a bit much to me and half of me wants to fully elope and just do it already, but I can wait another 2 months I guess. As soon as we decided not to have a wedding we both felt reallly relieved.
This is close to what we're doing and for the same reason. 14 guests tops, all family, outdoor as long as the weather holds at a park with a bonfire the weekend before Christmas. We found an officiant that we really like, my mom is buying a couple of cakes from our favorite local bakery, my sister is going to take photos of the ceremony (she's a photographer) and I'm going to have my camera out for the dinner that follows. Honestly, the food will be the most expensive part.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Esmerelda posted:

This is close to what we're doing and for the same reason. 14 guests tops, all family, outdoor as long as the weather holds at a park with a bonfire the weekend before Christmas. We found an officiant that we really like, my mom is buying a couple of cakes from our favorite local bakery, my sister is going to take photos of the ceremony (she's a photographer) and I'm going to have my camera out for the dinner that follows. Honestly, the food will be the most expensive part.

We bought a nice camera for photos, that's our biggest expense, but of course it will be used for other things too. We're lucky in that in our county/state we don't need a priest or officiant, though that makes the whole thing feel less "official" as we'll literally be saying "yes I want to marry you" to each other in our living room, signing papers, and will then be done! We'll be dropping the paper off at the courthouse that same day though and then going out to eat right after, which I guess makes it feel more legit.

It's my fiance's birthday in a week, then his son's and mine next month, so I'll get to practice making two cakes (and maybe three if I want to make my own). We don't need a big fancy one so I'm just going to do something with white icing and call it a day.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Jet Set Jettison posted:

The one we fell in love with is North of Boston though :(.

Psst - It's supposed to be the best day of your life, not theirs ;)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OzyMandrill posted:

Psst - It's supposed to be the best day of your life, not theirs ;)

Regardless, we cant afford it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Afford it or no, any place that charges 3000-4000 up front automatically seems like a bad idea because that money could better be spent on food/music/whatever instead of going into some black hole of what amounts to rent.

As to it being "your day, not theirs"...that's true to some extent. Obviously the ceremony should be in a style that you want it to be. But the rest of it is basically one big party that you are hosting, and a good host tries to accommodate guests as much as they can. It's a balancing act. Choosing a venue that is affordable, meets what you want, and is also accommodating to the guests you want to be there is all important to having it really come off right.

Ultimately having good food, good drink, good music, and a good easy location are the four most important things. It can be in your parent's back yard but if you nail those points people will enjoy it. Nobody will remember what your centerpieces looked like or what the colors were, but they'll probably remember if it was a pain in the rear end to get to, or if there wasn't enough food or drink or whatever.

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012
Boston-area wedding BS rant ahoy:

We got married in Arlington/Cambridge (as we live in Boston) and even an hour outside of Boston the prices are generally similar. You have to start going like really really far out to get a big reduction in price. Like.... central New Hampshire.

A lot of the 'offbeat' venues we looked in to seemed cheapish ($5k? for the venue or less) but then you had to work with their preferred vendors, and they were all very expensive. The only way to know what costs are generally going to run is to start doing venue visits, as a lot of these places will not give you any ballpark prices unless you meet in person (for some godforsaken stupid reason, as it's a giant waste of time IMO).

From the venues we visited, most price you out at 100 people and even if you have half that number, they'll charge you a minimum 100 heads anyway. That basically took major event halls right out of consideration for us, as we wanted to trim the guest list to save money. And keep in mind these event halls are super super bare, most times you have to rent a TON of stuff to make it look 'done up' -- you know, lights and decoration and table and chairs, that stuff! -- another huge expense.

I remember looking in to a very popular wedding venue in Groton, the Barn on Gibbet Hill, and I figured, hey, Groton's far out there, shouldn't be too bad. Freaking starting price was like $20k, and that's before most of the food and any decoration, DJs, all the trimmings most people get.

We ended up having our reception at Rialto in Cambridge with 60 guests -- great restaurant and the cost was quite low since it's a restaurant and not a Giant Event Hall. I was just at a wedding that was beautiful and done at the Legal Sea Foods in Copley, ceremony and reception both. (Not sure of the headcount but I believe it was under 100 people as well.)

I was pretty shocked at how hard it was to find something reasonably priced in the Boston area given how many young people are around here! It's like either you go SUPER EXPENSIVE or you are totally SOL.

[edit] If you can get your headcount down to 30 people the Herb Lyceum in Groton is actually a really nice outdoorsy summer venue with great food IMO.

FloorCheese fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 16, 2013

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

real question though, how did you guys set your budget? We currently live somewhat paycheck to paycheck. I am waiting on a call for a second job and we plan on putting a majority of our taxes toward the wedding, but I do not have a good idea of what I want to spend overall. On the same note, how do you approach family about contributing to the wedding? I know that my parents cannot contribute but my grandmother might and his parents might. I just don't know how to ask without sounding greedy.

On the off chance that you have not already.. Make a legitimate financial budget before attempting one for your wedding.

Break down every single penny you spend and where you spend it and figure out what is an acceptable value to spend on things in your day to day life.
You should have a monthly deposit going into savings. A monthly set value, not a "this is what is left after the bills" amount.

From there it is fairly simple to figure out what you can afford. Saving $300 a month and want to get married in 2 years? Your budget is $7500 assuming you don't just let it rot in a chequing account.

It is really simple if you do the work, and there honestly isn't much of it. The payoff is huge. I have been on my budget for 3 months now and I haven't thought (or stressed) about money since.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

john mayer posted:

Don't give in dude.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Because it doesn't conform with their idea of What A Wedding Should Be™ and therefore they get upset

nyerf posted:

They're just envious they didn't do that exact same thing and threw away thousands of dollars on 'wedding industry' items.

Stew Man Chew posted:

You're not alone, man.

...family is having a rough go with the "no goddamn ceremony" bit of our plans.

I hear you guys loud and clear

I suppose the complicating factors are that my parents are indian as gently caress and my girl is white. My parents ideally want an all out takes-a-year-to-plan ride-in-on-elephants massive spectacle involving all their friends and relatives. I'd never hear the end of this bullshit from all corners of my family if I went off an eloped, which I guess I"m fine with but wish I didn't have to deal with.

Her parents don't really give a gently caress though so there's that.

of note: what makes it hard to straight up ignore my parents' wishes is that they have supported me fully throughout my life. They paid for my college, graduate school, and all associated expenses. I feel like this is one of the few things they'd ask for which makes it really really really difficult to say no. Additionally, it makes it a little harder for them to accept my non-indian very white girl.

My gf and I have discussed it and we'd be okay with participating in something THEY'D plan on their own time, as both of us are way too busy to plan anything (because, hey, who doesn't like going to an indian wedding as a guest?), but some how they think it's also our responsibility to help plan something we don't even want for ourselves.

Honestly, I'm just venting here so really don'y pay too much attention to this. Good luck and congrats to all the dudes and dudettes in this thread.

Totally Normal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 17, 2013

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

The first thing I did was sit down and seriously consider how much I could spend on 6 hours without feeling nauseous. That was $2k. Then research what you can actually do for that amount and reassess. That's how I got to $5k. Then my family didn't like my plans so they kicked in more, which brought the amount up to $12k. I could definitely have thrown a wedding for $5k (or even $2), but it wouldn't have been nearly as nice and would have been much more stressful.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
My wedding is Saturday! Anyone have any last minute tips to help me avoid freaking out. Everything is going well, except for the facts that one of my groomsmen may not be able to make it (I think I may get one of my ushers to stand in for him if needed) and my sister and the bride appear to be feuding (sis is also a bridesmaid).

Off to meditate...

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

sleepingbuddha posted:

My wedding is Saturday! Anyone have any last minute tips to help me avoid freaking out. Everything is going well, except for the facts that one of my groomsmen may not be able to make it (I think I may get one of my ushers to stand in for him if needed) and my sister and the bride appear to be feuding (sis is also a bridesmaid).

Off to meditate...

Here's one quick tip.

If you're taking the wedding party somewhere for formal pictures, bring some snacks, like sandwiches or pizza. A lot of times, people in the wedding party are too nervous or don't want to wreck their clothes, so they don't eat in the morning. By the afternoon, they're starving and grumpy. I've seen couples go through drive-throughs and ruin their appetites for the meals they paid a lot of money for.

A few snacks, even just some granola bars at the park, will do a lot of good.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Totally Normal posted:

of note: what makes it hard to straight up ignore my parents' wishes is that they have supported me fully throughout my life. They paid for my college, graduate school, and all associated expenses. I feel like this is one of the few things they'd ask for which makes it really really really difficult to say no.

On the one hand:
Parents aren't meant to hold their parental responsibilities over their children like that. Ok, stuff past the age of 18 is generosity, and you should always be grateful, but it does not mean they get to play around with what should be a very special personal day for you. Yes, it is important to them as it is their childs wedding, but its one helluva special day for you and that trumps what they want tbh.

On the other hand:
It's only one day, dude. And tbh what with the nervousness, last minute panics etc, you'll be glad to see the back of it on the day. Certainly not worth falling out with the folks over (& I have seen that happen over stuff far more trivial). So go along with it, and organise your own 'blessing' ceremony with just your close friends for the next weekend or something ;)

sleepingbuddha posted:

Off to meditate...
Don't sweat it. Either things work, or they won't (and lead to hilarious wedding stories for ever more). As long as at the end of the day you get married and everyone else gets drunk, the rest is just fluff & nonsense.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I have flights and accommodation booked for a 4 night stay in Berlin (the most romantic of cities) for my girlfriends birthday. The trip is not a surprise as she suggested we go away for her birthday next year, but the proposal will be (hopefully!). It will be one week after our 5 year anniversary and I finally have saved enough to buy her a ring so it's the perfect time to pop the question.

So two questions, firstly does anyone living in London have any recommendations on place to buy a ring; a lot of the resources in this thread are US based.

Secondly, and this will be probably be real dumb, but we will be flying out on her birthday and returning 4 days later and I can't decide at which point to pop the question. On her birthday? At the end? In the middle? Anyone who has been through a holiday proposal have any insight?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Raffles posted:

Secondly, and this will be probably be real dumb, but we will be flying out on her birthday and returning 4 days later and I can't decide at which point to pop the question. On her birthday? At the end? In the middle? Anyone who has been through a holiday proposal have any insight?

Do it in the middle. If there is any time she might expect it, it would be her birthday while abroad.

Also, I should be proposing this Sunday. Going up for a hike in the mountains at a provincial Park. She loves to take pictures of nature so I can get set up and when she turns around... BAM.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Wedding stuff is crushing, and holy god expensive. For anyone else doing this, 400 is too many people to invite to a wedding, don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Wedding stuff is crushing, and holy god expensive. For anyone else doing this, 400 is too many people to invite to a wedding, don't do it.

400 :psyduck:

I was surprised when we could even think of 100 guests.