Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Novum posted:

Defending China against the Japanese menace.

What, just the shoes? Must be some pretty grody sneakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I wear the toe shoes running, but they're too grippy for pivoting-on-your-foot kickboxing kind of stuff. For wrestling they're fine but the only reason I wear shoes while wrestling is so I stop twisting my toes at weird angles and injuring them, and they don't protect against that.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
What are you dudes doing wearing shoes for in kickboxing/muay thai.. i would get laughed out of the gym if i showed up to train in those. They let you kick their thai pads and bags with those goofy shoes on? Just go barefoot

mewse
May 2, 2006

Prathm posted:

What about those Feiyue kung fu-shoes. Are they good for anything?

They're flat soled sneakers with good grip, they're great unless you need ankle support

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

manyak posted:

What are you dudes doing wearing shoes for in kickboxing/muay thai.. i would get laughed out of the gym if i showed up to train in those. They let you kick their thai pads and bags with those goofy shoes on? Just go barefoot

d00d I used to practice Savate and still sometimes do, the idea is to kick with the loving shoe, so at least I'm exempt

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ligur posted:

d00d I used to practice Savate and still sometimes do, the idea is to kick with the loving shoe, so at least I'm exempt

yeah I get savate (even though ive never done it) since thats specifically all about the shoe, and i do boxing where you need boxing shoes, and wrestling where theres wrestling shoes, but nobody does muay thai in shoes as far as i know

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Prathm posted:

What about those Feiyue kung fu-shoes. Are they good for anything?

I have a pair. The sole is very thick near the ball of the foot (but in the middle of the shoe). I reckon it'd be an acceptable running shoe if you run that way, but I don't like the way it shifts my feet's contact with the ground for sparring/footwork.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
yeah just thinking about wearing shoes for muay thai makes my knees hurt

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

gimpsuitjones posted:

yeah just thinking about wearing shoes for muay thai makes my knees hurt

IIRC Heath Herring blew his knee out throwing a kick in wrestling shoes.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Just posting here to make everyone JEALOUS, last weekend was Fight Fest 33 which is a fight event where you see guys who've been in UFC and WEC, and rising stars in the European kickboxing, MMA and K1 circuit, but today... it's going to be Turpakeikka 7. Watch groundbreaking fights of past events here.

Turpakeikka badly translates to a "nose job". In Finnish terms it means someone reorganizing your nose with emergency fist surgery. Legend tells us the event started with two taxi drivers who got into an argument, which heated to a point where they abandoned their Socratian dialogue and pulled out their fists! Luckily someone intervened shouting it's pretty loving dumb to beat each other bloody on the street, why not get into a boxing ring instead if you have issues which transcend interlocution? And they did, problem solved. Today Turpakeikka is the Finnish equivalent of... I guess a sort of Toughman. Everyone who wants to fight get their chance to do so with someone who is your size and has roughly the same record, so there's overweight amateurs with a 0-1 record punching and strangling each other and the next fight might be someone with even a pro fight or two down the years fighting someone else of similar experience.

All fights go down with pro rules so lots of KO's (there's an emergency crew present) and submissions to be expected. I was cornering a buddy the last time, but now we are just going there to watch blubber smash against blubber.

Now, is this event a smart thing, you might ask? No, probably not. But it's all carried out with a ton of humour, respect, and the fighters know what they are getting into. It's all about having FUN. And that's a great angle to consider martial arts with.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ligur posted:

Just posting here to make everyone JEALOUS, last weekend was Fight Fest 33 which is a fight event where you see guys who've been in UFC and WEC, and rising stars in the European kickboxing, MMA and K1 circuit, but today... it's going to be Turpakeikka 7. Watch groundbreaking fights of past events here.

Turpakeikka badly translates to a "nose job". In Finnish terms it means someone reorganizing your nose with emergency fist surgery. Legend tells us the event started with two taxi drivers who got into an argument, which heated to a point where they abandoned their Socratian dialogue and pulled out their fists! Luckily someone intervened shouting it's pretty loving dumb to beat each other bloody on the street, why not get into a boxing ring instead if you have issues which transcend interlocution? And they did, problem solved. Today Turpakeikka is the Finnish equivalent of... I guess a sort of Toughman. Everyone who wants to fight get their chance to do so with someone who is your size and has roughly the same record, so there's overweight amateurs with a 0-1 record punching and strangling each other and the next fight might be someone with even a pro fight or two down the years fighting someone else of similar experience.

All fights go down with pro rules so lots of KO's (there's an emergency crew present) and submissions to be expected. I was cornering a buddy the last time, but now we are just going there to watch blubber smash against blubber.

Now, is this event a smart thing, you might ask? No, probably not. But it's all carried out with a ton of humour, respect, and the fighters know what they are getting into. It's all about having FUN. And that's a great angle to consider martial arts with.

I've never wanted to watch anything more. You should probably post this in PSP b league thread. Freaks there love this poo poo

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

That sounds awesome.

The local boxing school advertised the toughman context here again this past week, so this friday we had our first (Redneck) guy of the season walk into our bjj gym to train for toughman. This happens every year and it's absolutely great to see these clueless people want to train BJJ for a local toughman (just boxing). We explain to them that we're not teaching boxing we're grappling, but they already know how to box from billy bob's drunken backyard boxing and they just want to get in shape/get tough.

It's glorious.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The only toughman contest I ever saw in person was at a tribal festival. In one match both competitors spent two rounds winging roundhouses at air before going down from heart palpitations and hypoxia, respectively

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What a night, some older guy (I think I saw him doing shots the night before) had to be treated by the emergency crew after he collapsed out of exhaustion, another fighter with a massive belly TKO'd himself by falling down while engaging in battle with 6'2 360 lbs gypsy judoka, and this 45 year old dude beat the poo poo out of a much younger combat sambo fighter. We had a boxer with his hands down his waist with incredible head movement and timing, a ton of quick and brutal submissions and, well, it was just fun times. A friend who has never seen anyone fight even on TV was so riveted we couldn't get her off the chair.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ligur posted:

What a night, some older guy (I think I saw him doing shots the night before) had to be treated by the emergency crew after he collapsed out of exhaustion, another fighter with a massive belly TKO'd himself by falling down while engaging in battle with 6'2 360 lbs gypsy judoka, and this 45 year old dude beat the poo poo out of a much younger combat sambo fighter. We had a boxer with his hands down his waist with incredible head movement and timing, a ton of quick and brutal submissions and, well, it was just fun times. A friend who has never seen anyone fight even on TV was so riveted we couldn't get her off the chair.

That is loving glorious for real

Rub1
Jan 7, 2005
Swim or sink
I'm thinking about joining Krav Maga and tried the only place in my town who offer this. They offered only one free trial session so I went there last week and gave it a shot.

This session consisted of:

Pretty hard warmup (I'm out of shape)
Some strength/endurance training
Two different scenarios; defense against a two handed choke from the front and the other one was against a punch.
Stretching etc.

The instructor seemed allright, but did not give us newcomers any "special" attention which I had kind of hoped for.

Should I commit to joining this class or should I try another form of MA/self defense?
They only offer subscriptions of either 6 or 12months.

I would say my main goals are to get in better shape, learning to defend myself and hopefully have fun at the same time. My only experience before this is Wing Chun 4 years ago (6months, dropped out because I found it too hard to learn. And then another 6months and the place shut down).

I added some links to give those of you who know KM some background information about the place:

Norwegian page (linked to google translate):

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kampsportsenteret.com%2Fkrav-maga.html

Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/TOPKRAVMAGA‎

Mostly subscription based online courses:

https://www.topkravmaga.com/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Rub1 posted:

I'm thinking about joining Krav Maga and tried the only place in my town who offer this. They offered only one free trial session so I went there last week and gave it a shot.

Two different scenarios; defense against a two handed choke from the front and the other one was against a punch.
Stretching etc.

The instructor seemed allright, but did not give us newcomers any "special" attention which I had kind of hoped for.

Should I commit to joining this class or should I try another form of MA/self defense?
They only offer subscriptions of either 6 or 12months.

I would say my main goals are to get in better shape, learning to defend myself and hopefully have fun at the same time. My only experience before this is Wing Chun 4 years ago (6months, dropped out because I found it too hard to learn. And then another 6months and the place shut down).

I added some links to give those of you who know KM some background information about the place:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kampsportsenteret.com%2Fkrav-maga.html

Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/TOPKRAVMAGA‎

Mostly subscription based online courses:

https://www.topkravmaga.com/

Everywhere offers free trials. Shop around and find something you gel with. I certainly wouldn't sign up for 6 months to something I'm not sold on completely. And you don't sound sold on krav

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You do one week and then have to commit to six months? That sounds dodgy. Is that common?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Heya martial arts folk, first time posting here.
I've been trying out a local muay thai gym and i really like the exercise and the feeling of the place..
But I got huge problems with form and posture.. and hurt my shoulder a bit throwing lovely hooks. Anything I can do right now to improve this, apart from just going to more lessons??
Also, is it a good idea to buy all the Muay Thai gear like shinguards and gloves if I plan to continue training?

I really appreciate this thread for making me start! You guys have been helpful :)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Wild Horses posted:

I've been trying out a local muay thai gym and i really like the exercise and the feeling of the place..
But I got huge problems with form and posture.. and hurt my shoulder a bit throwing lovely hooks. Anything I can do right now to improve this, apart from just going to more lessons??
Also, is it a good idea to buy all the Muay Thai gear like shinguards and gloves if I plan to continue training?

I really appreciate this thread for making me start! You guys have been helpful :)

Well, sanding in front of a mirror at home and drill striking to get your form down might be good. There are others here who are far more experienced than me who will probably be able to give better advice.

As for buying gear, especially gloves, then yes, absolutely do so. Loaned gear is nasty and always have your hands smelling like old dirty socks. Once you feel like you know you will keep training go out and buy a good pair of leather gloves, and shin gurads if you feel you can afford both straight away. Also buy a mouthguard straight away. It's dirt cheap and can prevent some really painful and expensive injuries.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Got a question about getting deeper involved into the fighting world: I started off about 6 months ago in Capoeira, doing pretty well with it, and have started doing some Mauy Thai on top of it about 2 months ago. I don't have any previous fight training, but things seem to be progressing quickly and pretty well, doing about 3-4 classes a week and some weight & yoga training on the side.

Capoeira is all about getting as close to your opponent with your kicks as you can without hitting them, and I'm fine with that. Our kickboxing teacher though is keen to get us sparring and eventually competing, he sees a bit of promise in us.

I haven't ever sparred before, and I haven't really been even been hit properly since I was 15 (now 30). What should I expect from sparring? How hard do you go?

For reference, the guys in my group I'll be up against are around 6'2-3", 210-230lb (so am I), and we routinely give each other bruises through the pads during drills. I don't wanna die.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Marching Powder posted:

That is loving glorious for real

That sounds like more fun than the last UFC event I saw, I tell you what

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You do one week and then have to commit to six months? That sounds dodgy. Is that common?

I think that's getting to be pretty common in gyms in general. If they're a for-profit place that makes their money off of memberships, doing it any other way than a long term subscription is pretty risky when it comes to month to month expenses. As a consumer, I kind of hate it, but I also understand why it's somewhat necessary.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Rub1 posted:

Krav Maga

Don't waste your time. Unless you want to be a super elite killing machine who's moves are so deadly that you can't even use them and that's why you lose every sparring match with other martial arts.

Wild Horses posted:

Don't throw so hard yet until your movement feels good. Yes definitely get the shinguards and gloves, it's pretty cheap and you're gonna need them faster than you think you will.

Goffer posted:

I haven't ever sparred before, and I haven't really been even been hit properly since I was 15 (now 30). What should I expect from sparring? How hard do you go?

For reference, the guys in my group I'll be up against are around 6'2-3", 210-230lb (so am I), and we routinely give each other bruises through the pads during drills. I don't wanna die.

You're probably not going to be trying to knock each other out. The seasoned guys are gonna be really relaxed and give it to you as hard as you give it to them. The real danger is spazzy new guys and/or tough guys with ego problems who are trying to prove something during a practice drill, which is essentially what sparring is.

Request to spar with someone who's been there a while and be super cool and tell him you've never sparred before and you just wanna go really light. Then go light or suffer whatever consequences he wants to give you.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

Echoing the others here - start with proper form; No matter how slow your punches will be. You can try to step the speed up next once you aren't wrecking your hands. Power will come naturally. It's totally counter intuitive and I didn't even believe that when I started out and asked the same question to this thread. I kept trying to KILL the heavy bags or Thai pads and had the same problems you did: hooks and uppercuts were the death of my hands.

Then I slowed down, worked on form, then sped up the punches. Now, I have the same speed, but my punches are definitely improved! So, listen to the posters in this thread. They know what's up.

I would also suggest getting gloves at the very least. I used the gym's loaner gloves for a while, but I got tired of the stank, fighting the rest of the students for the good gloves and the reduced hand protection since the loaner gloves had been beaten to hell and back. I went and bought a pair of these Fairtex gloves and they're awesome! I definitely come away with no pain at all in my hands and they fit nice and snug.

I splurged a bit on the Fairtex gloves, but one of the main functions gloves serve is to protect your hands from injury. So, I looked at this purchase as an investment in my hands' safety. Kinda important since I'm a web developer by trade. I kinda need to be able to type and all that.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I can vouch for the Fairtex gloves, I have two pairs of Twins, two Fairtex, and a smattering of SDI and Metal Boxe gloves. The Fairtex ones have held up the best and I love how small the 14 oz gloves are for their weight. (You can sneak in uppercuts easily ha ha haa!)

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Yeah my wrists still take a pounding if I'm hitting the focus mits too hard/the wrong way. I'll look into getting the technique down better first.

Rub1 posted:

Stretching etc.

From my not super experienced background practising those two scenarios sounds a little funny. A two handed choke from your opponent leaves them open to quite a few standard kicks/punches, and I don't know of a combat system that actually teaches to choke like that (so in a fight against someone who knows sort of knows what they are doing it's not going to be useful knowledge). From what I've learnt in the Mauy Thai (and from watching MMA/boxing in general) is that the most common thing to do against a punch is to have a good guard, keep your arms up and swat/block it out of the way while you look for an opening to strike back. I would have thought teaching standard strikes would be time better spent.

If you can try out for the Kali that those guys offer, it sounds like a lot more fun.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
RE: wrists and fists hurt after punch-hard.

It might also just take some time for your hands to get used to it you know? I know my hands needed a rough year or two of scraping the skin off the knuckles with interesting jolts of pain in my bones and small joints. If you have your wrist "locked" (is this the right term?) and coming in with a straight line from your knuckles to your elbow it's all cool, but if you simply aren't accustomed to punching a lot against a rather hard target like a heavy bag or mitts, you'll probably experience some pain anyway.

You know sort of like running? If you haven't been a diligent long-distance runner, your feet and thighs will be sore as gently caress after long runs but your body will get used to it after a year or two and you'll just end up experiencing weakness and exhaustion instead of pangs of pain in addition. Giddarnit, I've actually broken a few bones punching with grappling gloves when I was all into self-defence -style training, but after they healed all up again I can punch a wall all day and my hands will be fine.*

*I wouldnt' actually punch a wall though. Then there's people with just weaker wrists and hands which get hurt easy. You can't know or tell until you stress them out of all proportion.

edit: Final fight last Saturday :D (Sound off to ignore screaming guy.) More or less the first wide swing hits the jaw -> opponent gets up -> another looping swing hits the jaw with probably the forearm -> The End.

Take note! Or not, because this isn't anything new, buuuut it's not a good idea to get hit in the face when people wield just the tiny grappling gloves so do something, anything, that you won't get hit in the face (and covering up isn't a good plan with those gloves). But the thing here is that the guy with more power, speed and a better gas tank (even though you didn't see any gas tank in this fight) wins 95% of the time when two more or less amateurs collide no matter what their innate athletic ability and skill level might be.

And the guy with the better power just trained longer and harder, instead of being bestowed with any god given skills. In his last fight dude with the haymakers took a long, long time to owerpower an overweight dude with a submission because the other guy gassed out, here he steamrolls quickly by delivering so much force on the other guy in mere seconds that the less fit and strong person just folds. He really put an effort before the fight, cut weight, etc.

Technique? Terrible. But he physically runs his opponent over.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 15, 2013

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So today we ran some ground grappling drills, one guy on defense trying to keep the other guy from passing position. So anyways I was the bottom in closed full guard on the defense against a much more experienced guy. I know I don't have the best ground game on the gym, but I was being a complete douche and holding extremely well against him.

So he tried to break my guard but I defend by bringing him down and bear hugging him. He responds by rolling his eyes, standing up (while I was holding for dear life) and pushing me down. Still he only got a half guard out of this move. He was cocky as gently caress and tries to tell me something, I aint loving listening because I shoot for the closed half guard, sweep the motherfucker and gain mount over him.

It was motherfucking awesome. :allears:

In other words:

gently caress your Hubris

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Alright, I'll heed your advice and shadowbox for a while. Punching and kicking people is hard ..

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Alright, I'll heed your advice and shadowbox for a while. Punching and kicking people is hard ..

Biggest thing to remember when it comes to martial arts is pretty much all cliche but it rings true. Practice makes perfect, rome wasn't built in a day and all that. There's pretty much been three or four people in the history of professional fighting who've been poo poo wreckers without spending years honing their craft.

Take your time, practice form and accurate movement and it'll start to flow easily. I've mentioned this before a few times in this thread but a few of my techniques I had to spend literally hours at a heavy bag slowly, thoughtfully correcting the bad technique I was using. Time and time again I'd have a coach say, try it again, or do it this way and so I'd throw over and over and over again. The techniques I was struggling with was front kicking and a spinning back kick. After I put in that work I kick like a mule using those techniques, don't sell them before I throw them and have had my coaches single me out to show others how to improve their technique and demonstrate how it's done properly.

Take your time, accept you've got to work at it and remember it's meant to be fun, no one should or usually does, think any less of someone who is retarded starting out, everyone is.

This goes without saying for most but make sure when shadow boxing you're nice and loose, if you're tense it can gently caress up your technique, get you into a bad habit, wear you out and lead to undue pain and stress on joints. Speed isn't the key, power isn't the key, smooth technique is, they come with technique and the former don't mean a whole lot without the latter.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Perfect practice makes perfect. Make sure someone signs off on what you're doing for the first million or so times you do it so that when you eventually do it on your own you know exactly how it's supposed to feel when you do it right.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

So today we ran some ground grappling drills, one guy on defense trying to keep the other guy from passing position. So anyways I was the bottom in closed full guard on the defense against a much more experienced guy. I know I don't have the best ground game on the gym, but I was being a complete douche and holding extremely well against him.

So he tried to break my guard but I defend by bringing him down and bear hugging him. He responds by rolling his eyes, standing up (while I was holding for dear life) and pushing me down. Still he only got a half guard out of this move. He was cocky as gently caress and tries to tell me something, I aint loving listening because I shoot for the closed half guard, sweep the motherfucker and gain mount over him.

It was motherfucking awesome. :allears:

In other words:

gently caress your Hubris

If you really wanna rock their world you should just play seated guard, that way you can just sit on your rear end on the ground and they'll still be in your guard even if they completely break contact and back off!

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

BlindSite posted:

no one thinks any less of someone who is retarded starting out, everyone is.

That's what everyone should always keep in mind. We only get less dumb as we train.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Goffer posted:

From my not super experienced background practising those two scenarios sounds a little funny. A two handed choke from your opponent leaves them open to quite a few standard kicks/punches, and I don't know of a combat system that actually teaches to choke like that (so in a fight against someone who knows sort of knows what they are doing it's not going to be useful knowledge).

That's a very large issue with the way Krav Maga seems to be taught, that your opponent is going to be untrained and not know what they are doing in the slightest. I have only seen two different school's classes, but both operated on that assumption which is fundamentally wrong in my opinion.:shrug:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
An art where you can neither practice the techniques against full resistance nor are the people you're defending from actually trained in the attacks they're using? Sign me up!

e: I also find it kind of funny anyone would want to train in something that's just for military combatives, since combatives curricula are like 2 weeks long and meant to give soldiers something they can fall back on in a desperate situation while they spend the vast majority of their training hours shooting guns and carrying heavy backpacks.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 16, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The main problem with Krav Maga is that you can become certified to teach "Krav Maga" by taking a three day seminar, so even if Krav Maga was the second coming of Judo developed by Muhammed Bruce Li I still would never recommend to someone that they join a "Krav Maga" school because you have absolutely no idea what you'll actually be getting.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

An art where you can neither practice the techniques against full resistance nor are the people you're defending from actually trained in the attacks they're using? Sign me up!

e: I also find it kind of funny anyone would want to train in something that's just for military combatives, since combatives curricula are like 2 weeks long and meant to give soldiers something they can fall back on in a desperate situation while they spend the vast majority of their training hours shooting guns and carrying heavy backpacks.

Exactly, the Modern Army Combatives is very basic BJJ like white to blue belt stuff, basic takedowns(doubles and a hip throw), and limited striking. Basically for when they have no weapon which isn't a likely scenario for most armed forces.

fatherdog posted:

The main problem with Krav Maga is that you can become certified to teach "Krav Maga" by taking a three day seminar, so even if Krav Maga was the second coming of Judo developed by Muhammed Bruce Li I still would never recommend to someone that they join a "Krav Maga" school because you have absolutely no idea what you'll actually be getting.

It's actually even easier than that, what you are describing is being certified by Krav Maga Worldwide right? Through some kind of hilarious mix up, the trademark and/or copyright is in a bunch of hell in the U.S. so technically anyone can use it. For instance, one of the bigger Tae Kwon Do chains has their own Krav Maga programs that's not associated with anything.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rikthor posted:

Through some kind of hilarious mix up, the trademark and/or copyright is in a bunch of hell in the U.S. so technically anyone can use it.

It's kind of difficult to trademark something as generic as "Combat Contact" for martial arts services, which is why most of the trademarks with "Krav Maga" in the US have a truckload of other graphics and/or words tacked on.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Last sunday I sparred with combat sambo rules and we got kinda carried away and that led to some pretty heavy hits, I bust my nose open and I have had a screeching headache for over two days, now it's kinda okay but if I try to excercise, my head hurts pretty bad again. Is that a microconcussion or what? It's now wendesday night and I'm still like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Wish I had some answer to that, this poo poo is always 60% sensible and 50% mystery.

Like, I obviously had a slight flu two weeks ago but I haven't been feeling really "normal" for more than a day at a time after that. I felt really good Monday night though and did all sorts of calisthenics and it was ok, next day was crap again and today when I tried to exercise even for a little bit I almost passed out every time my heart rate elevated to anything above jogging rate.

And it elevated if I took a few quick steps, nevermind do anything that should elevate your heart rate at which point it felt death is imminent. Blaaaah.

• Locked thread