Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
When I was in high school I could fill up my car with a jackson and have enough left over for a pack of smokes and a six pack.

(seriously, I saw .79 cents a gallon in 2001. Also seriously, don't drink or smoke under 21, kids)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blugu64 posted:

When I was in high school I could fill up my car with a jackson and have enough left over for a pack of smokes and a six pack.

(seriously, I saw .79 cents a gallon in 2001. Also seriously, don't drink or smoke under 21, kids)

I remember .79 cents in 1997, was it really that cheap in '01? drat.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Rhyno posted:

drat straight, out in the sticks east of San Antonio at least. If I ever have kids they'll never hear the end of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the first part of it was actually true,they sold guns into Mexico as part of some elaborate sting to attempt to catch Mexican criminals, and it largely didn't work (no cartel leaders arrested).

Except the operation started in 2006 so claiming Obama was the mastermind behind it is kind of dubious.

What is there to investigate about "seal team 6"? I mean it's a real unit in the US armed forces, we know what they are, so...?
A large number (or all?) of the members of Seal Team 6 involved in the Osama raid died in another operation not too long afterward. This was, of course, because Obama is actually Osama and he needed to kill people who "killed" Osama so they couldn't reveal the truth that the reptiloids are trying to hide!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blugu64 posted:

drat straight, out in the sticks east of San Antonio at least. If I ever have kids they'll never hear the end of it.

I was in South Dakota when I got my permit in 1994, my dad's fuel fillup record says it was $.99-1.19. I do remember seeing it cheaper once or twice though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Endless Mike posted:

A large number (or all?) of the members of Seal Team 6 involved in the Osama raid died in another operation not too long afterward.

Wait, is that true?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait, is that true?

Maybe. They could've just been placed in some sort of military witness protection program since some politician released their names to the media shortly before they were killed.

I want to believe.

Or they could've just died and nobody gave a poo poo about them.

I think we should start using more hybrid cars if gas prices are just going to keep going up. I'm tempted to swap my Chrysler Cirrus out for a Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 15, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Endless Mike posted:

A large number (or all?) of the members of Seal Team 6 involved in the Osama raid died in another operation not too long afterward. This was, of course, because Obama is actually Osama and he needed to kill people who "killed" Osama so they couldn't reveal the truth that the reptiloids are trying to hide!

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait, is that true?

No I remember that, it was a thing where some Talibs shot down a Chinook with an RPG in Afghanistan not long after the Osama raid and it carried a number of SOF types who were all killed. At the time it was not mentioned that they were the same people who were on the Osama raid but then it dropped off the headlines after a few days. Didn't one of those people go on to give an interview about how he was broke and poo poo?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like how they demand Obama voluntarily leaves office. :irony:

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the first part of it was actually true,they sold guns into Mexico as part of some elaborate sting to attempt to catch Mexican criminals, and it largely didn't work (no cartel leaders arrested).

Except the operation started in 2006 so claiming Obama was the mastermind behind it is kind of dubious.

What is there to investigate about "seal team 6"? I mean it's a real unit in the US armed forces, we know what they are, so...?

It isn't a conspiracy when they're actually out to get you. CBS: ATF used "Fast and Furious" to make the case for gun regulations

Discounting any conspiracy theories and just talking facts, there has been multiple gun walking attempts, all of which have failed spectacularly; Fast & Furious is just the latest and started in 2009. Fast & Furious in particular is a debacle so serious, that even if it wasn't done with criminal intent, a lot of people in the ATF and possibly outside of it need to be tried for criminal negligence.

Wikipedia: ATF Gunwalking Scandal

The official goal of Fast & Furious was to track the flow of illegal weaponry, obtained through straw purchases* at licensed FFL01 dealers and track them all the way back to cartel heads. It was only when border patrol agent Brian Terry was killed by what turned out to be a Fast & Furious weapon, did parts of the debacle start to get out. First of all, it turned out that the ATF had no means of tracking the weapons once obtained†, which wasn't oversight, as the ATF had no intention of ever actually tracking them; this is most likely why conspiracy theories about F&F have gained so much ground. The ATF plan was to wait until the weapons started turning up at crime-scenes or confiscated by border patrol/federal agents. The next issue is that the ATF couldn't get enough FFLs to go along with the plan once they realized the scope of things[1][2]; they had to keep pushing the FFLs to comply with the plan. Even though these FFLs were setup with surveillance equipment, as far as is publicly known, the ATF has never followed-up on any of it.

There's actually a lot more issues with Fast & Furious that I'd love to bring up, but talking about this is started to make me furious. It just pisses me off so much that everyone that knew about F&F and had the capability of stopping this program, looked at it and decided that it either suited their own goals enough that they were going to keep it alive, in which case they need to be tried for treason, or they looked at it and legitimately though it was a good plan, in which case they need to be tried for criminal negligence. Personally, I point my finger square at Eric Holder. He and his office not only had direct knowledge of Fast & Furious, they were involved in it and did everything in their power to stop Congress from getting ahold of them when they were subpoenaed.

* A straw purchase is where someone who can't legally own or purchase a firearm, or simply doesn't want to be tied by paperwork to it, has someone else that can legally own a firearm (usually a friend or family member) purchase it for them from a licensed dealer. For anyone that has never purchased a firearm, you legally cannot purchase a firearm for anyone else except under the specific circumstances that it is a gift for a family/friend that is legally able to own such firearm.

† The ATF had looked into tracking devices for previous gun walking missions, but in all cases decided against it. By the time F&F came around, I don't think they were even reviewing the option anymore.

[1] House Report 112-546 - RESOLUTION RECOMMENDING THAT THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES FIND ERIC H. HOLDER, JR., ATTORNEY GENERAL, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, IN CONTEMPT OF CONGRESS FOR REFUSAL TO COMPLY WITH A SUBPOENA DULY ISSUED BY THE COMMITTEE ON OVERSIGHT AND GOVERNMENT REFORM
[2] Gun store owner had misgivings about ATF sting

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Rhyno posted:

In '97 I stopped someplace between Kansas City and Springfield, MO, and paid $0.84/gal. The sticker on the pump told me that 53 cents of that was Federal, State, and Local taxes.
It boggled my mind that I was paying 31 cents a gallon for the gasoline.

Also, this:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Terrible political stuff not related to cars is boring.

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/LJCTi

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

`Nemesis posted:

Terrible political stuff not related to cars is boring.

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/LJCTi

Wow, that Hilux is in a bit of a mess. Needs more shocks though

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

SaNChEzZ posted:

Your opinion, I think it looks great, it's fun and sporty with a bunch of aftermarket. Sure it doesn't get 80MPG, but I have no qualms with 44-45 on the highway. I assume you hate miatas as well, pretty much the same thing.

I'm actually in the market for a Miata once I sell my Camry. I drove my neighbor's and it was a blast. Now that I'm getting a car for work, I might get a fun car again, and the Miata is at the top of the list.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Jesus loving Christ stop talking about guns you idiots have an entire forum for that poo poo.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rhyno posted:

It was 99c/gal when I was a senior in high school in '99 (how appropriate). That was pretty much the last time I could actually afford to borrow my mother's jeep and drive anywhere on a tenner.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
I think this belongs here.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2013-09/why-you-can%E2%80%99t-sell-me-car?src=SOC&dom=tw

tl;dr Millennials are the largest demographic alive today—and the auto industry's biggest headache.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That article is pretty terrible.

tl;dr - The author has no grasp of how hosed economically people in their 20s and 30s are, and since it's a Popular Science article there's whining about flying cars in there, too

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phone posted:

tl;dr - The author has no grasp of how hosed economically people in their 20s and 30s are, and since it's a Popular Science article there's whining about flying cars in there, too

Popular science is one of the worst for popularizing science...because they generally popularize the WRONG sort of science.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Phone posted:

That article is pretty terrible. I agree with him on one point. There is nothing out there that excites me and makes me want to buy a new car. I'm perfectly happy with my 99 Cherokee and a broken DSM (it's preferred state). I probably log somewhere around 40,000 miles a year.

I don't have problems parking in the city I live in, insurance is cheap and I don't mind working on cars. I'm probably in the minority of most people my age and most of the people I've met care even less about a car as long as it goes from point A to B.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OneStopShop posted:

I think this belongs here.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2013-09/why-you-can%E2%80%99t-sell-me-car?src=SOC&dom=tw

tl;dr Millennials are the largest demographic alive today—and the auto industry's biggest headache.

TFA posted:

Some showed me how to perform an oil change and diagnose a leaky head gasket, others how to align a timing belt

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Popular science is one of the worst for popularizing science...because they generally popularize the WRONG sort of science.

Popular pseudoscience.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

That article is pretty terrible. I agree with him on one point. There is nothing out there that excites me and makes me want to buy a new car. I'm perfectly happy with my 99 Cherokee and a broken DSM (it's preferred state). I probably log somewhere around 40,000 miles a year.

Because having old junk isn't what everyone prefers. Not wanting something that's constantly broken/on fire/sockington doesn't mean you can't be a car guy/girl. I agree that modern cars aren't as 'exciting' as old cars, but the trade-off is that they're brand new, with all the wonderfulness that implies, and not old and hosed and used up like a cheap hooker.

I'm surprised no one on AI has one of these yet, as far as I know. Brand new exciting car.

edited for clarity

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 16, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised no one here has a BRZ/86 yet (AFAIK).

I'm reading these words but they don't make any sense.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Well I just slap a timing belt on regardless of the position of any timing marks, don't you?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phone posted:

I'm reading these words but they don't make any sense.

I'm surprised no one on AI has one of these yet. As far as I know. Unless I haven't been keeping up and someone does? I'm using it as an example of a modern car which is interesting and exciting and such.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nobody in AI has been brave enough to take the plunge. Especially after 200 pages of discussion.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3446803

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Slavvy posted:

Popular pseudoscience.

Because having old junk isn't what everyone prefers. Not wanting something that's constantly broken/on fire/sockington doesn't mean you can't be a car guy/girl. I agree that modern cars aren't as 'exciting' as old cars, but the trade-off is that they're brand new, with all the wonderfulness that implies, and not old and hosed and used up like a cheap hooker.

Aside from the DSM, I haven't had any problems more exciting than a ruptured heater hose with the Cherokee. No accidents, straight body, no peeling paint, no mechanical problems and no car note.

I have a close friend that bought a brand new vehicle last year instead of replacing the clutch in the previous car he had that he just paid off. $600/month for a KIA? No thanks. Not as much disposable income, tied down to having a job he doesn't care for anymore and not being able to hit the roads and make weekend trips. Those are tradeoffs you make with a new car as well. Especially for people in their mid to late twenties that aren't high income earners.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I have a friend with a BRZ, does that count?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised no one on AI has one of these yet. As far as I know. Unless I haven't been keeping up and someone does? I'm using it as an example of a modern car which is interesting and exciting and such.

I know someone who owns one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phone posted:

Nobody in AI has been brave enough to take the plunge. Especially after 200 pages of discussion.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3446803

No 4WD no sale :colbert:

(yes I know this is kind of the point of the car)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That raises an interesting question. Are there more focus STs or BRZ/FRZ/GT86s in AI.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mighty Horse posted:

I have a friend with a BRZ, does that count?

Your token pal doesn't make you not a FR-Sist, buddy

E: By the hot hatch thread there's a surprisingly high number of Focus ST owners, so it is possible there's more of them than frisberz drivers

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If I could import one for the cost of car and shipping, I'd consider it. An 86 is about three-quarters of the UK price in Japan, which piques my interest, but I'd have to take more than a bit of a kicking on import duty, VAT, insurance, and probably warranty support, so it'd be unlikely to actually save me anything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I don't have problems parking in the city I live in, insurance is cheap and I don't mind working on cars. I'm probably in the minority of most people my age and most of the people I've met care even less about a car as long as it goes from point A to B.

Yeah, the writer seems to assume that everyone lives in a city close to where they work/shop, and has good public transportation. And also hates driving, which, if I lived in the middle of a big city with horrendous traffic and no parking, I might.
I can't speak on what Millenials want - I'm 44, and there are a fair number of new cars I would buy if I actually had money to buy them. Maybe more accurately is there are plenty of cars I would like to have, but not for what I would have to pay. For one, I like technology. The retro-musclecars like the Mustang GT500 and Camaro ZL1 get my attention, but I would love to see an Ecoboost V6 in a Mustang, for example. EFI is awesome. I hate carburetors - tuning them is pure black magic. Most of my stuff is old junk that I uprate, install options on, and modernize, because that's what I feel I can afford, probably stemming from the days when I had way more time than money. In the end, I could probably sell it all and just buy one good new-ish car, but what be the fun in that?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I love the misinformed rant on battery recycling; automotive batteries are already mostly recycled. The rest of that whine is just about as correct.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I always knew there was a reason that I hated Millenials, but it wasn't until I read this "Yet I recoil from the idea of buying one. Cars equal liability. Accidents are practically inevitable, no matter how well you drive. They cost more and more to own and maintain, and (electric or not) they defile the environment. And good luck parking one anywhere without it getting ticketed or towed." that I understood why. Really? accidents are inevitable? only if you are an idiot. You can't park without getting ticketed or towed? yep, you are obviously an idiot.

I have had 1 accident in 20 years, and guess what, it was a Millenial that sideswiped me because he had his head up his rear end.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Phone is right. At best it's rationalization of the decisions millenials make in the face of being turbofucked economically, now and for the foreseeable future. A car, the payments and upkeep, and insurance are liabilities they are avoiding, just like home ownership, marriage, and child rearing, because they're terrified they won't be able to afford them. So they make up hipster cool reasoning why those are plusses and not massive life concessions.

Obviously that's not 100% true of everyone in the generation (and if you're posting here you're probably not in that set) but it's certainly the overwhelming trend.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Phone is right. At best it's rationalization of the decisions millenials make in the face of being turbofucked economically, now and for the foreseeable future. A car, the payments and upkeep, and insurance are liabilities they are avoiding, just like home ownership, marriage, and child rearing, because they're terrified they won't be able to afford them. So they make up hipster cool reasoning why those are plusses and not massive life concessions.

Obviously that's not 100% true of everyone in the generation (and if you're posting here you're probably not in that set) but it's certainly the overwhelming trend.

I and my friend group are all mid 20s to early 30s city dwellers, and it's funny how some of my friends who were once vehemently anti-car-ownership changed their stance once they finally found some "real" jobs and could afford one. The unfortunate thing is that it took some of them several years out of school to get anything resembling a "real" job despite their best efforts.

While it is true that living in a city gives you a lot of good alternatives to car ownership, I think it really is that young adults are, in general, economically hosed and just plain can't afford to own, operate, maintain, insure, and fuel a car on top of life's other expenses and it's easier to save face with noble reasons to justify why they don't own a car other than "I'm poor".

Fact of the matter is when you're un/undermployed or only making $12/hour, buying a new car (or even a not-shitbucket used car) is pretty loving low on your priority list when you can just walk/bike/bus for all your urban transportation needs. Hell, I do own a car, but I still walk/bike/bus a lot in the city because a lot of times it is far more convenient/cheaper.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 16, 2013

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

veedubfreak posted:

I always knew there was a reason that I hated Millenials, but it wasn't until I read this "Yet I recoil from the idea of buying one. Cars equal liability. Accidents are practically inevitable, no matter how well you drive. They cost more and more to own and maintain, and (electric or not) they defile the environment. And good luck parking one anywhere without it getting ticketed or towed." that I understood why. Really? accidents are inevitable? only if you are an idiot. You can't park without getting ticketed or towed? yep, you are obviously an idiot.

I have had 1 accident in 20 years, and guess what, it was a Millenial that sideswiped me because he had his head up his rear end.

Ive had one accident in the past 15 or so years of driving. It was also a Millenail rear ending me when I stopped for an emergency vehicle. That said its the old douches in the trucks that are always trying to run me over. Ive just been quick enough to not get killed so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

As far as defile the environment? Yeah, they might be right there. Everything else is utter bullshit or blown out of proportion.