Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I was playing the game yesterday to get Gold for "Rogue Cop" (though I'm not sure why shooting a bunch of cops would make you rogue. That's more mass murder but anyway.) When I tried to make my escape, the cops had blockaded the nearby streets. This game.

Also, I'm trying to grind level 10 Triad (currently about 9.5) and ugh. I've tried both the Shaolin Monk DLC mission - 100 takedowns made barely a dent. Same with the DLC mission where you ride around in a car shooting bikers. I really wonder if the Roland/Tran favors were supposed to give Triad XP since they are the rough equivalent of drug busts which give out Police XP like candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

To max out Triad, you really need to go back and replay earlier missions where you got lower exp. I think it's through the social hub, and it is a bit of a slog, but it's really the only way.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I can't wait for the sequel. The combination of beat-em-up mechanics and GTA-style open world made the first one one of my favorite games in recent years. Sleeping Dogs did such a great job at capturing the atmosphere of an Asian metropolis, and you have to love a game that portrays non-white characters is a respectful way. I actually traveled to Hong Kong because of that game, and I can't think of higher praise than that. It was always on my list of places to go, but it shot to number one after that game. Of course, geographically the game isn't accurate at all, but it did a great job at capturing the look and distinct mood of its neighborhoods/districts.

In the future, I hope they change the map to more accurately reflect the layout of HK.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I can't imagine they will be jumping ship from the genre that they had pretty great success with. (though knowing SquareEnix, they probably think the game was terrible and a flop)

Here's hoping it is what I think it is, namely another open world kung-fu game except this time you can choose between, oh, three different triads,a nd the game will play out differently with each one, kinda like the first and second GTA games with Zaibatsu and the mob families and whatnot. That would be awesome.

Unfortunately, the cynic in me notes a couple of (maybe) important things about the announcement. First, they don't call it a "sequel," they call it "a game in the Sleeping Dogs universe." Second, the title is the sort of generic and meaningless name you'd expect from a mobile tie-in; maybe its just me but the feeling I got from the box art, title, and the effort that went into the game just doesn't strike me as something that would then go and name a game "Triad Wars."

There's also the fact that Square Enix did this same sort of thing not too long ago with Deus Ex. I'll believe a sequel to Sleeping Dogs is coming when I see the word.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Unfortunately, the cynic in me notes a couple of (maybe) important things about the announcement. First, they don't call it a "sequel," they call it "a game in the Sleeping Dogs universe." Second, the title is the sort of generic and meaningless name you'd expect from a mobile tie-in; maybe its just me but the feeling I got from the box art, title, and the effort that went into the game just doesn't strike me as something that would then go and name a game "Triad Wars."

There's also the fact that Square Enix did this same sort of thing not too long ago with Deus Ex. I'll believe a sequel to Sleeping Dogs is coming when I see the word.

Yeah, it feels like a mobile F2P game to me.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

To max out Triad, you really need to go back and replay earlier missions where you got lower exp. I think it's through the social hub, and it is a bit of a slog, but it's really the only way.

Finally did this tonight (replayed Ms. Chu's Revenge which is a fun one), and also dragged a drunk into a dumpster to get the Chief Inspector achievement (which is 100% of events/collectibles/etc.) :frogsiren: Screw the events that don't show up on the map though, finding them isn't fun.

Those who said Zodiac Tournament was short weren't kidding. I spent more time trying to make it past the spiky pit than anything else.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

Also, I'm trying to grind level 10 Triad (currently about 9.5) and ugh. I've tried both the Shaolin Monk DLC mission - 100 takedowns made barely a dent. Same with the DLC mission where you ride around in a car shooting bikers. I really wonder if the Roland/Tran favors were supposed to give Triad XP since they are the rough equivalent of drug busts which give out Police XP like candy.
Pretty sure missions give a maximum amount of triad XP and once the bar is full you're not getting more, so you probably wasted like 80 or 90 takedowns.

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's not the only way. Obviously if there's a lot of room for improvement (if you only got 1-2 triangles full every mission) go for it, but the DLC missions are repeatable, don't rely on you beating the last score, and they're pretty rewarding in terms of XP. I played through the game and I never replayed a mission for more triad XP, although I did pay more attention and tried to max the bar after a while. I did the shaolin brawl like twice, the driving mission bugged out on me so I didn't do that, and then I did a few rounds of "Death by a Thousand Cuts" and that was it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Megazver posted:

Yeah, it feels like a mobile F2P game to me.

Preparing for crushing disappointment. Got my helmet on.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I finished Year of the Snake, which means I can do this now:

I really want to redo the mission where Conroy admits he was wrong about you being undercover, while wearing my dress blues :allears:

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
Reminds me, I honestly enjoyed this game a fair bit more than I do GTA 5 currently.
Maybe I'm just weird. I'm probably going to cry if this doesn't get a proper sequel.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

So this game is in the Steam Halloween sale so I just picked it up. Is any of the DLC worth buying?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

YYZ posted:

So this game is in the Steam Halloween sale so I just picked it up. Is any of the DLC worth buying?

Yeah, get all the story DLC. I picked up a few costume DLCs as well just for the hell of it. Some even give weapons if you feel like cleaving skulls with a sword.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, get all the story DLC. I picked up a few costume DLCs as well just for the hell of it. Some even give weapons if you feel like cleaving skulls with a sword.

Thanks. Year of the Snake sounds decent, but Nightmare in North Point looks a bit gimmicky. Also, a lot of the costume pack things look they have pretty large bonuses to random stuff - are they all as overpowered as they seem?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

YYZ posted:

Thanks. Year of the Snake sounds decent, but Nightmare in North Point looks a bit gimmicky. Also, a lot of the costume pack things look they have pretty large bonuses to random stuff - are they all as overpowered as they seem?

NiNP basically exists to be gimmicky. It a great bit of fun gimmicks though. It might be a bit on the short side for you but that's varied pretty widely in this thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you think punching out a chinese vampire then stuffing it in a car trunk while you do burnouts is gimmicky, then I dont want to know you. :mad:

Most of the costume DLC is pretty decent. They'll give you bonuses that'll help out, but they're not god mode or anything. Charging straight into a stupid situation will still get you killed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
NiNP wore out its welcome for me before I reached the end. The mechanics aren't bad, but you're doing the same thing over and over again without much variety (and barely any driving).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't buy the top dog dlc or whatever the free xp dlc is called. Game ruiner.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Got this with PS Plus a while back, just now finishing it. Great game and I think I'm going to go for platinum.

At the very end, we see Jiang is the new Dragonhead with Pockmark and Old Salty Crab as her assistants. Where did Ricky go? Last we saw he was off with Vivienne. And Conroy and the rest of the Water Street Boys; there was no conclusion to their story, huh?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They had to cut out plot points because they didn't have enough time. The girlfriends are the biggest example of this.

I was thinking that it would be cool if they make 2 that they go with what they originally planned with this game and the protagonist is a female assassin. Then you could have Wei essentially be like Nemesis and Pyramid Head and you're the one being chased now.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
The last part(?) of the Zodiac Tournament thing is giving me some grief. I figure I'm supposed to feed the generic mooks into the gears to stop the ceiling from coming down while I take care of the non-generics. I try to pile on as many high-damage moves as I can on the other competitors, but I can't seem to drop them fast enough before the ceiling crushes us all. Am I doing it wrong?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

The last part(?) of the Zodiac Tournament thing is giving me some grief. I figure I'm supposed to feed the generic mooks into the gears to stop the ceiling from coming down while I take care of the non-generics. I try to pile on as many high-damage moves as I can on the other competitors, but I can't seem to drop them fast enough before the ceiling crushes us all. Am I doing it wrong?

IIRC you stuff the non-generics in there.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

You know the scrawny non-generic guy? Stuff his rear end into the gear ASAP while you whittle down the one with the big health bar under his feet. Ignore the generic guys, counter them away if you have to, and hit that guy with the big health and the fat guy. The knee ender and the roundhouse ender take a lot of health off and will make short work of them both. You get about 10 seconds or so for every dude you stuff, so pay attention.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its pretty much the most ridiculously unfair fight in the entire game, you're not doing it wrong.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Tupperwarez posted:

You can toss anyone in, but they still follow their fighting archetypes. That means some might only be tossable during facetime.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I really, really, really want to adore this game-- its version of Hong Kong is everything I look for in an open world game, and exploring it is a joy. However, I'm really, really, really terrible at the combat since my reflexes are horrible and I keep on mistiming counters or getting whacked by brawlers with crowbars or whatever, and I can never remember combos, even in the first handful of missions you get after the open world unlocks.

I'm the person who the casual difficulty setting in other games was invented for, I guess. But I really want to be able to play this game. :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rincewind posted:

I really, really, really want to adore this game-- its version of Hong Kong is everything I look for in an open world game, and exploring it is a joy. However, I'm really, really, really terrible at the combat since my reflexes are horrible and I keep on mistiming counters or getting whacked by brawlers with crowbars or whatever, and I can never remember combos, even in the first handful of missions you get after the open world unlocks.

I'm the person who the casual difficulty setting in other games was invented for, I guess. But I really want to be able to play this game. :smith:

How far into the game are you? As you get better combos, the game becomes much easier. Look for the jade statues which will unlock better abilities. Also don't be afraid to hold off on the side missions if they are giving you trouble - some of the "drug bust" ones are pretty difficult at first due to the number of mooks, but will be a cakewalk later in the game once you get the pattern down.

Also make sure to eat pork buns!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Yes, always have all your buffs active. And remember not to mash the counter button, press it once at the right time (it's a fairly generous window) otherwise you'll get locked into a "you hosed up" animation and get battered.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Also make sure to eat pork buns!
He sounds like he could use some tea.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember when I started playing this game I was looking for a "casual" mode and ended up using CheatEngine to make myself invincible, without it I was dying every single fight with more than two enemies. Yes I was that bad.

But as I kept playing I got a lot better at the combat (and shooting with mouse/keyboard was never a problem) and eventually I kept doing fights and winning even fight clubs without noticing I forgot to enable my CE script.

So if you just can't do it, you can use a trainer or CheatEngine and just play through the game. However, chances are you can get by with just getting better naturally, and using the upgrades and food buffs to succeed.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Get the blue robe DLC, it makes the counter window longer.

Also the game becomes easier when you get the arm breaking skill.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Light Gun Man posted:

It also gets more awesome because you get to watch their reactions to the arm breaking skill!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah keep playing the first fight club over and over again until it's no sweat. Then go play the rooftop fight club over and over again because ending every match by throwing someone off the side is the best thing ever.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Combat got a lot easier now that I have more moves, so that was nice.

Is there any way to get more Face besides doing those little side missions that pop up occasionally? I'm a sliver away from Face 4 and tired of dressing like some kind of trash golem.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

Yeah keep playing the first fight club over and over again until it's no sweat. Then go play the rooftop fight club over and over again because ending every match by throwing someone off the side is the best thing ever.

Nothing beats using the drunken boxing style and breaking some dude's arm while having a drink, then using a goddamned flying spinning headbutt on dudes.

Buy the drunken master dlc!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Rincewind posted:

Combat got a lot easier now that I have more moves, so that was nice.

Is there any way to get more Face besides doing those little side missions that pop up occasionally? I'm a sliver away from Face 4 and tired of dressing like some kind of trash golem.

You get Face for almost everything. Steal some cars. The best thing about the car thefts is you can call to set up the next one, and it marks them on the map and you can pretty much ignore them until you are in the area and it pops up as being nearby.

Also fight clubs, flavours, races, and there are lots of smaller discrete clothing items like watches etc that give a bonus. You'll have that meter maxed out long before the end of the game.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Or you could get that spiffy Vigilante costume. The countering buff outfits are insanely good. You'd literally have to put the controller down and do absolutely nothing to lose at a fight with them on.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Hopefully a lot of people have bought this since it was on sale for 5 bucks for the base game or 8 for everything. Some guidance to people new to the game:

This is an open world game, right? When does it open up?

Pretty quickly but you are slowly introduced to the concepts. For instance, at one point you get a police mission involving street racers; at that point all the races open up to you. It's gradual so you don't get 5000 side missions on your map as soon as you start the game, and is a good thing.

Why is someone screaming at me saying I need to eat a pork bun

Because you need to eat a pork bun. Food and drink in this game provide bonuses - pork buns help you regen health, herbal tea gives you damage resistance. Also there should be an energy drink in your apartment refrigerator that will increase your strength. If you are about to go kick someone's rear end, get some food first.

How does XP work?

There are three leveling systems that you earn through experience - Police XP, Triad XP, Face XP. There's also some additional boosts that you get through acquiring items.

What's Police XP and how do I get it?

Cop XP helps with car theft/hijacking, shooting, disarming, and ramming to disable cars. The most useful early-on is probably the "slim jim" upgrade so you can steal cars without setting off the alarm and attracting cop attention. Guns are pretty rare in the game, so anything involving them is only useful in a few missions. You earn more XP by doing the mission well and not loving up by running over civilians.

You earn Cop XP by performing the main police missions (dark blue on the map), triad story missions (you are undercover rememeber), and optional police side missions like drug busts (light blue on the map.) Assuming you do a few of the side missions, you will have enough Cop XP to level out by the end of the game.

Speaking of drug busts, I see a light blue icon on the map but I can't seem to get to it.

They have a base in the sewers, and you have to get there by boat. Eventually you will get a mission around this. Be warned that these tend to have gun-based combat so you may want to hold off in the beginning.

What's Triad XP and how do I get it?

Triad XP helps with direct combat - countering, striking, etc. Resistance is probably a good thing since you can get better moves through Melee Upgrades. You get more XP by killing enemies in new and exciting ways so change it up.

You only earn Triad XP by doing the main Triad missions, unless you have DLC that gives you repeatable missions for earning XP. This can make leveling out difficult. A few options are either replaying the main story missions until you do well, wearing clothes that give you bonus XP (recommended), or just using the repeatable DLC such as the Shaolin Showdown which helps you practice combat anyway.

What's Face XP and how do I get it?

Face XP helps in combat by increasing both your defense and offense in combat. It also gives you some nice perks such as a car valet (he'll bring your preferred car to you whenever you want it), ability to wear cooler clothes, and eventually a discount on cars.

There are lots of ways to earn Face XP but one way is doing the side missions that show up as yellow "word balloons" on your map. You can also race, beat up the thugs in the police drug busts, and do some other quests that you will eventually have access to. These tend to be fun so just do them and you will max out Face.

You mentioned items, how can they help?

There are items scattered throughout the island that can help increase your health, give you new attacks, provide $$$, and unlock cameras (that do nothing unless you are going for 100% completion.)

At some point you will have a mission that lets you meet a woman; afterwards you get their phone number and can call them out on a date. Going out on a "girlfriend mission" will unlock the locations of one of those items on the whole map so you should do them.

You don't have to get all the items, and you should probably not worrying about spending a bunch of time at the beginning of the game getting them all because that will be boring and you can't do it anyway since some are locked behind missions. Do them as you go along, maybe finish up each of the four areas as you become based there.

What are those jade statues all about?

They provide pretty awesome combo attacks. You want leg break because it will freak all the other thugs out, so will arm break. This is one that I will stress - don't go and try to get all the statues in the beginning, and conversely do not wait until the end of the game to turn them in. There's a nice storyline that develops by giving them to the dojo over the course of the game and you will miss out if you try to do them in bulk.

What about the health shrines?

They level up your health for every five you find and pray at.

And the lockboxes?

They provide cash money and sometimes clothing. Some are guarded by a few thugs but you are Wei Shen so kick their asses.

Tired of driving

Hire a taxi, they are cheap; the only downside is that they only go to certain marked spots on the map, worst case they will bring you to a nearby parking garage and you can drive the rest of the way in 15 seconds. Sometimes they are scarce so you may need to wait a few minutes. Hold down the "hire a taxi" button (Y if you have an Xbox controller), don't hit it quickly or you'll hijack the taxi and may end up with the police chasing you down in addition to having to drive to wherever you wanted to go.

I suck at races

You have a crappy car. You may want to hold off until you have enough money to buy a good car in that class, the ones you get for free in the base game are lousy.

Where's my gun?

If you need a gun for a mission, you'll get a gun. Generally you don't need one, most combat is melee only. The DLC can give you a gun drop in your apartment but usually you don't need it.

How do I play dress-up?

The t-shirt in your apartment lets you change clothing, which impacts bonuses. Some give you more XP, or better melee, or make you look awesome in other ways. Some clothing you gradually get over the course of the game, some is DLC, some you buy from stores.

I suck at combat

Load up on food, pick clothing that helps your combat ability, use the dojo to practice (you can go in and perfect your technique against certain types of enemies), go to fight clubs. Sometimes the drug busts can be overwhelming because ten guys will try to attack you at once, you may want to wait until you have leg/arm break since once "face mode" is activated, you can do poo poo like grab the guys who normally cannot be grabbed and break their legs since everyone is freaked out. If many of them have melee weapons, you may want to pick up the disarming skills first.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I suck at races

You have a crappy car. You may want to hold off until you have enough money to buy a good car in that class, the ones you get for free in the base game are lousy.

Wei's starting bike is good enough to beat the B-class bike races easily.

Vehicles in the same class can still have huge differences in performance, too. I wasted a lot of money on lovely Class B cars for racing before I got the Terre GT.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hopefully a lot of people have bought this since it was on sale for 5 bucks for the base game or 8 for everything. Some guidance to people new to the game:

One thing I would suggest is not to use energy drinks or other items that grant a damage bonus when doing Triad missions. Triad XP is the hardest to earn, and requires you to really mix up / prolong combat. If you're doing extra damage you're missing out on chances to earn more Triad XP.

Looking back through the thread, here's what I said about it when I was still playing the game:

titties posted:

I had to replay a few missions to hit Triad level 10 once I beat the game. One thing that helps is to make an effort to slow the pace of combat. Don't wear damage buff items, and use more regular strikes and grapples.

I mean, any unarmed enemy aside from grapplers and bosses can be killed by a leg break > ninja backstab instant kill combo or an environmental grapple and you'll earn anywhere from 20 - 80 points depending on how varied your combat is (mixing up moves prevents diminishing returns). But then that enemy is dead, so you missed the opportunity to earn points for regular hits, counters, and stun strike + followup combos before the kill.

titties posted:

I know I've mentioned it before, but for anyone struggling to grind out triad points:

- Use tea, but no massages or dragon kick, and no clothing items that boost melee damage

- Wear the retro triad outfit if you have it, or grind face to use the +15% triad clothing sets as early as possible.

- Use environmental kills and the leg-break / ninja kill combo very sparingly. They are fun and cool, but you lose a lot of potential triad points by killing them early

- Be well-rounded. Constantly mix fast strikes, counters, strong strikes, grapple throws, grapple strike combos, and the double-leg.

titties fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I redid some of the shooty missions and tried to headshot/explode as many dudes as I could. That seemed to give a decent payout, plus hey, shooting dudes in the face and/or blowing them up. Especially the funeral mission. Haam gaa chan, motherfucker? I'll show you haam gaa chan! :black101:

Wasn't there a glitch where you could repeatedly headshot guys while doing the slo-mo action vault and still get the 30XP payout with each hit?

Also, I got past the last brawl in the Zodiac Tournament. Ending was Bruce Lee as gently caress, though I kinda wish there was a hall of mirrors fight like in Enter the Dragon.

Then I played the other DLC. Year of the Snake was great for more loose cannon antics. I was the best worst cop. "Shen, we need you to subdue som-- OK, you can kill them all with a shotgun, that works too. *long, pained sigh*"

Nightmare in North Point was pretty cool, had some good gags. Missions were a little repetitive, but Shen's super-finisher on the hopping vampires is baller. Kind of a shame there was no Taoist priest costume. Also, Old Salty Crab was under-used I think. I love that silly fat bastard.

• Locked thread