Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Hakkesshu posted:

That basically looks like a Deathtrap Dungeon clone, though. Why would someone want to make one of those? :gonk:

It's really, really loving bad. I'm almost positive I still have my original big box copy (because no one's bought it).

For a similar gamestyle, see Knight's Chase (or the Alone in the Dark trilogy but those actually rule).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

pinacotheca posted:

Those sound like Coney Island and Shape Shop, respectively.

Here's a Youtube clip featuring both those games.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
There was a game I watched my dad play when I was a lot younger. It was a JRPG, or at least a JRPG-styled game, for the PSX. I think it was 2D, but I can't remember. All I really can remember is that there were three characters: two dudes and a chick. The girl starts out wearing a white robe or gown, I think, and then changes into something else at some point. Anyone have any idea what it could be.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Snix posted:

There was a game I watched my dad play when I was a lot younger. It was a JRPG, or at least a JRPG-styled game, for the PSX. I think it was 2D, but I can't remember. All I really can remember is that there were three characters: two dudes and a chick. The girl starts out wearing a white robe or gown, I think, and then changes into something else at some point. Anyone have any idea what it could be.

Wild Arms?

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Oh poo poo, I think it is. I don't remember the battles being in 3D, but everything else looks familiar. I need to try to dig up my copy and play it some time.

excusemeprincess
Jul 23, 2001
There was a pop-kun here. It's gone now.
A long time ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago? I really can't remember. There was a thread for indie games. In this thread I found a side-scroller that I remember looking similar to Out of This World. Game play (if I'm remembering this right) was asfw for left right and up down (you could fly.) You used your mouse to aim/shoot. Anyone know what game this is?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

excusemeprincess posted:

A long time ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago? I really can't remember. There was a thread for indie games. In this thread I found a side-scroller that I remember looking similar to Out of This World. Game play (if I'm remembering this right) was asfw for left right and up down (you could fly.) You used your mouse to aim/shoot. Anyone know what game this is?

Probably OnEscapee.

excusemeprincess
Jul 23, 2001

al-azad posted:

Probably OnEscapee.

It does fit the description very well and thank you for the reply. But no this isn't it. It was more, I guess pixelie (less like Flashback, more like OoTW) and one of the main mechanics of the game was using your mouse to aim/shoot at enemies. I'm fairly certain you started with a jetpack or something that allowed flight.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

excusemeprincess posted:

It does fit the description very well and thank you for the reply. But no this isn't it. It was more, I guess pixelie (less like Flashback, more like OoTW) and one of the main mechanics of the game was using your mouse to aim/shoot at enemies. I'm fairly certain you started with a jetpack or something that allowed flight.

Do you remember if it was freeware, a commercial indie game, or abandonware 90s game?

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

excusemeprincess posted:

This is sounding more like Abuse to me, although you don't start with a jetpack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9pUaHdtlMA

Alternatively, Iji maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mxD4FjD3w

Forgedbow fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 18, 2013

excusemeprincess
Jul 23, 2001

al-azad posted:

Do you remember if it was freeware, a commercial indie game, or abandonware 90s game?

Freeware

excusemeprincess
Jul 23, 2001

excusemeprincess posted:

I should add it was in space.

edit: it was super low key in the thread. I won't be surprised if nobody can tell me what it is, but it would be awesome if someone could remember it. I've tried google but I can't think of any good searchs to bring up anything useful.

excusemeprincess fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 18, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

excusemeprincess posted:

I should add it was in space.

edit: it was super low key in the thread. I won't be surprised if nobody can tell me what it is, but it would be awesome if someone could remember it. I've tried google but I can't think of any good searchs to bring up anything useful.

Is it Iji, by any chance?

excusemeprincess
Jul 23, 2001

Forgedbow posted:

This is sounding more like Abuse to me, although you don't start with a jetpack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9pUaHdtlMA

Alternatively, Iji maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mxD4FjD3w

it was a lot like Abuse, but more pixelie, again a lot like the style of Out of this World. Low detail and very dark. Lots of Black/Grey/Reds in the atmosphere of the game.

Not Iji but closer to the graphical detail but not style of the game (if that makes sense)

I'm still googling stuff. If I end up figuring it out on my own I'll post it, but keep the suggestions coming. Someone is bound to know it.

edit: I'm pretty sure the thread was during 07 or 08.

excusemeprincess fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 18, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My game was a game for either the amiga or the atari or some other computer that was not PC. It was not really a console at any rate. It took floppies which were formatted differently than the PC. To put a very very conservative bound on this: Nothing past 2000 or so.

The game had you be a giant robot, walk (i think) left and kill the hell out of tiny humans on your way. I may be wrong on this, but I don't remember it having much color, almost all was black and white.

Yeah, not much to go on, but thanks for trying!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

No Gravitas posted:

My game was a game for either the amiga or the atari or some other computer that was not PC. It was not really a console at any rate. It took floppies which were formatted differently than the PC. To put a very very conservative bound on this: Nothing past 2000 or so.

The game had you be a giant robot, walk (i think) left and kill the hell out of tiny humans on your way. I may be wrong on this, but I don't remember it having much color, almost all was black and white.

Yeah, not much to go on, but thanks for trying!

This is probably Walker on the Amiga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmEJWjcwms

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gromit posted:

This is probably Walker on the Amiga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmEJWjcwms

And so it it!

Thank you.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

excusemeprincess posted:

it was a lot like Abuse, but more pixelie, again a lot like the style of Out of this World. Low detail and very dark. Lots of Black/Grey/Reds in the atmosphere of the game.

Not Iji but closer to the graphical detail but not style of the game (if that makes sense)

I'm still googling stuff. If I end up figuring it out on my own I'll post it, but keep the suggestions coming. Someone is bound to know it.

edit: I'm pretty sure the thread was during 07 or 08.

I found this list when I was trying to remember Iji's title (that was 20 minute well spent). It might be worth a look:
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Freeware_Games

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

This was a 90's flight sim. The only thing I remember was a mission involving defending the Queen of England's 747 from IRA jet fighters.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jive One posted:

This was a 90's flight sim. The only thing I remember was a mission involving defending the Queen of England's 747 from IRA jet fighters.

Haha, I hope you're remembering that correctly because wow. Looks like we got a British Tom Clancy somewhere

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!
Here's another low-information request:

- It was a NES (possibly SNES) game
- The gameplay involved sidescrolling fighting, I think it was medieval or ninja themed
- It had an overworld map
- One of the last levels on the (first) overworld map was a castle
- There were alternate routes through the overworld map
- One of these alternate routes was a bridge or river crossing, with some hard to beat miniboss
- The game used a password system to save progress. One of the passwords was something like QQQQQQQQ or ZZZZZZZZ, I remember my friend discovering it when he was really annoyed at the game and typing gibberish at the password prompt.

Besides all that, I have no idea what the game was actually about, or why I feel this need to play it today. Nostalgia can be weird sometimes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

odd2k posted:

- The gameplay involved sidescrolling fighting, I think it was medieval or ninja themed
- One of these alternate routes was a bridge or river crossing, with some hard to beat miniboss
- The game used a password system to save progress. One of the passwords was something like QQQQQQQQ or ZZZZZZZZ, I remember my friend discovering it when he was really annoyed at the game and typing gibberish at the password prompt.

Besides all that, I have no idea what the game was actually about, or why I feel this need to play it today. Nostalgia can be weird sometimes.

Clash at Demonhead?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Here's a tough one for the thread.
A really drat old flash game, one of the bike ones with the physics and the things. One of the first levels was totally green, and the very last was a super difficult black-gray looking futuristic map. Not much to go on, and there were tons of these games but it is pretty good.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Here's a tough one for the thread.
A really drat old flash game, one of the bike ones with the physics and the things. One of the first levels was totally green, and the very last was a super difficult black-gray looking futuristic map. Not much to go on, and there were tons of these games but it is pretty good.

Were there different buttons to enable different "colours" like if you had Red you'd go on red floor, but not on any other?

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I'm trying to remember this older PC space sim, where you controlled a single ship and explored a procedurally generated universe. There was no fighting, no trading, it was all exploration. You could walk around the ship, control it to land on planets, and I think you may have been able to exit the ship and walk around the planets. It was incredibly low resolution, and the controls were almost Battlecruiser-level complicated. It's name may have started with an N, but barring that it had pretty unique name.

e: maybe barking up the wrong tree, but I think the name started with "Nae-", or had "ae" somewhere in there

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 21, 2013

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Kolodny posted:

I'm trying to remember this older PC space sim, where you controlled a single ship and explored a procedurally generated universe. There was no fighting, no trading, it was all exploration. You could walk around the ship, control it to land on planets, and I think you may have been able to exit the ship and walk around the planets. It was incredibly low resolution, and the controls were almost Battlecruiser-level complicated. It's name may have started with an N, but barring that it had pretty unique name.

e: maybe barking up the wrong tree, but I think the name started with "Nae-", or had "ae" somewhere in there

Noctis IV.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Kolodny posted:

As far as I can remember, Naev doesn't have much other than skirmishes, so probably wrong. At least the name clue didn't come from the ether.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

That's it! Thanks.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Flash game from a few years ago. It was from a 'cool little games that let you chill out' type thread.

Black and white 2D game where you start of as this fat guy in a white shirt and black pants but you shoot up into the air and gradually float down, jumping off things like clouds, birds etc. It was pretty chill.

e: It was today's google logo that reminded me of it.

ee: Fly Guy http://www.trevorvanmeter.com/flyguy/

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 22, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Two games!

The first is an old one from the AOL days. I may have downloaded it from an AOL games server or something. It was a tank game; there were red and blue tanks of (I think) various sizes. The camera was top down over a battlefield with objects scattered around. You could shoot your main gun but also (I think) lay mines. Explosions would leave potholes in the terrain. I can't remember if it was multiplayer. I don't expect anyone to remember this one.

The second was a game that came pre-packaged with a computer. It was a 3D game where you controlled a turret. Aliens were attacking and you had to blow them up before they destroyed critical objectives. There were separate missions, and those missions might have put you in new locations with new turret abilities (e.g., missiles, quad-mount gun, etc). About halfway through the game you protected a NASA launchpad that was sending space shuttles into space to fight the aliens. This game probably came out around the Half Life/Rainbow 6 era.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

The second was a game that came pre-packaged with a computer. It was a 3D game where you controlled a turret. Aliens were attacking and you had to blow them up before they destroyed critical objectives. There were separate missions, and those missions might have put you in new locations with new turret abilities (e.g., missiles, quad-mount gun, etc). About halfway through the game you protected a NASA launchpad that was sending space shuttles into space to fight the aliens. This game probably came out around the Half Life/Rainbow 6 era.

That's probably Incoming, it often came bundled with early 3D accelerator cards.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

westborn posted:

That's probably Incoming, it often came bundled with early 3D accelerator cards.

That's exactly it! Thanks so much!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

odd2k posted:

Sounds like maybe Little Ninja Brothers (NES) or Super Ninja Boy (SNES) ?

Here's an odd one:

I remember a game almost exactly like Jill of the Jungle by Epic for DOS, it was another DOS game, a platformer kinda in the prince of persia style, really simple DOS graphics, set in some kind of a ruins or a jungle. But I'm pretty sure its not actually Jill of the Jungle. Know of other games in the same style? I googled and found a couple, but its not them. I feel like the graphics were just a tiny bit better, but maybe its just nostalgia. Its not Vinyl Goddess from Mars... Maybe it was just Jill of the Jungle. :v:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember a game almost exactly like Jill of the Jungle by Epic for DOS, it was another DOS game, a platformer kinda in the prince of persia style, really simple DOS graphics, set in some kind of a ruins or a jungle. But I'm pretty sure its not actually Jill of the Jungle. Know of other games in the same style? I googled and found a couple, but its not them. I feel like the graphics were just a tiny bit better, but maybe its just nostalgia. Its not Vinyl Goddess from Mars... Maybe it was just Jill of the Jungle. :v:

Two guesses:

Flashback had the first level in a jungle
Zorro was a much more blatant prince-of-persia rip-off that had a jungle level later in the game

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's an odd one:

Xargon maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqyfrDJS_Dg

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Pretty sure Xargon was the only other game made in that engine besides Jill, so that would be my guess too.

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012
Actually, there's some kind of a bible game called Onesimus as well, that I remember playing once. Maybe that's it?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Bob Morlock posted:

Actually, there's some kind of a bible game called Onesimus as well, that I remember playing once. Maybe that's it?

I'm sure I've never heard of this game, but the music sounds extremely familiar. Did they recycle it from Jill/Xargon?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
There was a mildly entertaining flash game, probably on Newgrounds. I remember the art scheme was very blue. I think the object was to defend a money tree. I believe you kept some of your progress like your income every time you died, but everything else reset to zero. The goal was just to survive for an arbitrary amount of time with no obvious endpoint.

e: It was an action game, the main character had a gun. The screen didn't scroll you could move, but you were stuck on one screen for defending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/590156
Greedy Ghouls.