Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Could have sworn I heard someone talking about having a venusaur in x/y and since gen 5 can't be traded in yet, where do I get one?

Play the game and the answer will be apparent very shortly.

Professor Sycamore gives you a Kanto starter of your choice when you meet him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Internet Kraken posted:

Man it feels good to smash some guys team using legendaries and mega evolutions. Even better when I only win because of Malamar being a complete rear end in a top hat :getin:

Malamar has so many awesome moves, I can't decide what his best 4 are.
Malamar is the best monster squid. Its best four moves are, in order, Superpower.

I guess you can use Night Slash, which gives pretty great coverage with superpower, but unless it's super effective, superpower hits just as hard and gives a free bulk up. Psycho Cut gives another way to save superpower PP. I personally use hypnosis for the fourth, but I don't use it very often and I don't think it matters much. The only things Malamar can't kill with its STABs or Superpower are bugs, and it should be switched out it a bug shows up.

For best results, use Malamar with Dragalge and Barbaracle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just got an Eevee for a Meinfoo and a loving Steelix of all things for a Trapinch, I love you Wonder Trade. :allears:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just got an Eevee for a Meinfoo and a loving Steelix of all things for a Trapinch, I love you Wonder Trade. :allears:

I don't know how you guys are getting great stuff, for me Wondertrade has been the Bunnelby Appreciation Station. Trade something good? Bunnelby. Something bad? Bunnelby. Trade a Bunnelby out of spite? loving BUNNELBY.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I traded a Pansage I got on the Wonder Trade yesterday. I got a Pansage. I think we both got hosed there. :v:

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
There is for sure a correlation between parents' Abilities and kids' Abilities beyond the whole Hidden Ability shtick, I was breeding two Hyper Cutter Mawiles and only got a couple of Intimidaters out of a really quite large number of kids, but breeding those two together (:monocle:) has yielded mostly Intimidaters. So that's some poo poo. I've spent far too long doing this. Please kill me. I hate myself so much.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Which café in Not-Paris is Not-Cynthia hanging out in postgame?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
What's the easiest Pokemon with Trace to catch for the Friend Safari?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've been out of Pokemon since... Yellow version. A quick glance at the new X/Y monsters leads me to believe they are AWESOME. Mexican luchador bird? Ghost sword? KEYCHAIN??? I want this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HM slave wise, you know what's actually the best one? Lapras, yes the one that's given to you for free. Surf, Strength, Waterfall and Rock Smash. And as a bonus when surfing on Lapras you have a special model. Shame you have to lug around someone with Cut though.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've been out of Pokemon since... Yellow version. A quick glance at the new X/Y monsters leads me to believe they are AWESOME. Mexican luchador bird? Ghost sword? KEYCHAIN??? I want this.

It's so worth it. The 3D makes it feel like a bigger leap than Gen 2 was to 3, or any of the others since then. Plus the Pokedex is huge, so you'll get a variety of both new and old Pokemon that were from previous games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nutranurse posted:

You're the problem.
I gave someone a Magikarp named GOKU, I'd say this makes up for everything :colbert:

(I'll put good poo poo up someday, like when I finally reach that drat daycare, but in the meantime holy poo poo grow a sense of humor)

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

For what it's worth, I've been breeding goomy with a seviper and all the babies have turned up with poison tail, so there's an egg move for you that helps against fairies.
You can just catch the Snivy line? Where'd you get it?

v I hear Raichu makes a really good HM Slave, and if you're pretty good and a little lucky at the Secret Super Training, Thunder Stones will never be in short supply.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 16, 2013

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Is it worth it to make an HM slave? If so is there a decent pokeman that can be easily gotten early that would be good for this?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cuckoo posted:

I don't know how you guys are getting great stuff, for me Wondertrade has been the Bunnelby Appreciation Station. Trade something good? Bunnelby. Something bad? Bunnelby. Trade a Bunnelby out of spite? loving BUNNELBY.

I get plenty of garbage as well, but if you go for a while you're bound to get something cool. It's more fun early on in the game when you don't really know what available and there's really no way to trade down, though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

The E4 is down, the Champion was a chump.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where can I find the False Swipe TM?

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 16, 2013

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Amppelix posted:

HM slave wise, you know what's actually the best one? Lapras, yes the one that's given to you for free. Surf, Strength, Waterfall and Rock Smash. And as a bonus when surfing on Lapras you have a special model. Shame you have to lug around someone with Cut though.

ColHannibal posted:

Is it worth it to make an HM slave? If so is there a decent pokeman that can be easily gotten early that would be good for this?

You can get Hawluchas in Route 10 and they can learn Cut, Strength, Rock Smash and Fly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I said come in! posted:

Where can I find the False Swipe TM?

In the Professor's lab, one of his assistants checks your pokedex and throws it to you if you have enough.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cuckoo posted:

I have a lot of worthless Pokemon from the first couple of routes filling up my PC because of this. I can't bring myself to Wonder Trade them though because I don't want to be the guy that trades a Bidoof for a Gengar or something.

I've been catching duplicates of some Victory Road Pokemon like Druddigon because they'll be fun to Wonder Trade but I just know I'm going to get Bunnelbys for all of them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'm Nth-ing the request for a list of Froakie's egg moves from the people with the guide. I'm breeding up way too many of them in the useless search for a shiny protean froakie and I figure I might as well breed some good moves onto them.

I'll even toss a free protean froakie to anyone who can give me a list!

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
How do I get Stone Edge? Can't find it in the Frost Cavern.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

ColHannibal posted:

To add to what others have suggested, if you smash some rocks around the beach town pretty early in the game, you can get a Binacle, which can learn Surf, Strength, Cut, and Rock Smash.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Maybe I was incredibly lucky or they increased the drop rate, but my Pikachu came with a Light Ball.

Should I evolve it?

It already knows Thunderbolt.

I think it will have lower attack/special attack as Raichu and no Light Ball, but I'm not sure. Also, does Raichu get a mega-evolution?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Going off the thread, does breeding with an Impostor Ditto really does allow the offspring to have a hidden ability? And if so, where can I get one? :allears:

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
This Global Link website is pretty neat.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Nickname Pending posted:

It's in the outside route area of Frost Cavern. Surf and Waterfall needed.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Nickname Pending posted:

It's outside the actual cavern at the end of a river. You need Waterfall to get to it.

e: f;b

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I've been giving out Goomys in Wonder trade, to spread the Goomy love. The most interesting thing I've gotten back is a Jigglypuff.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I got a level 70 Japanese Lombre. He's pretty cool to sit in my box.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

S Danger K posted:

This Global Link website is pretty neat.

The knowledge of first beating the elite four with a legendary, permanently engraved on your very soul. For shame, for shame.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ojetor posted:

You can get Hawluchas in Route 10 and they can learn Cut, Strength, Rock Smash and Fly.

If your Hawlucha doesn't have Flying Press then you aren't worthy to use him :colbert:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is Wonder Trade completely random pairings? I ask because people here are saying they get Bunnelbys and monkeys but over like 6 trades I've gotten decent stuff, nothing under level 30. Maybe it tries to find a trade near the level of the pokemon you're trading? I'm also doing my trading at like 2AM so I get a lot of Japanese trades, so that might be the difference.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Countblanc posted:

The knowledge of first beating the elite four with a legendary, permanently engraved on your very soul. For shame, for shame.
What if it was a poo poo legendary like Regirock? :v:

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Countblanc posted:

Hey I got X because I loved Xerneas, but now he is forever benched in favor of the adamant Mawile I bred. Plus my Tyrantrum carried the entire team, that thing is a beast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just had an online battle where my Carbink KOd 5 pokemon in a row :allears: He's really hard to kill if you don't have steel type moves. Combine leftovers and proper protect usage and he just sits there throwing rocks at you forever.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

S Danger K posted:

the adamant Mawile I bred.

You are a piece of poo poo you know that

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

You are a piece of poo poo you know that

??

Huge Power Mawile fits rather well with an Adamant nature. The only other thing you could effectively run is Impish, which I do agree is a better nature now that Steel no longer resists Dark.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Is Wonder Trade completely random pairings? I ask because people here are saying they get Bunnelbys and monkeys but over like 6 trades I've gotten decent stuff, nothing under level 30. Maybe it tries to find a trade near the level of the pokemon you're trading? I'm also doing my trading at like 2AM so I get a lot of Japanese trades, so that might be the difference.

It's random, they don't care what you put up. I've gotten really rare stuff for route 2 fodder vice versa and at all levels.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Yeah I quite like this pokemon global link thing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

So, uh, apparently Wolfram Alpha has data for Gen 1-5, including parametric curves that look like all the sprites. No Gen 6 yet though.

• Locked thread