Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darkhold posted:

I beat I/I and you know what? Screw that. Normal/Classic for 90% of my games depending on if I want some challenge or just a fun ride.

I never finished Impossible because it wasn't fun. Normal is great for when I want to just shoot aliens without worrying too much about over extending or positioning of my dudes, and Classic is when I want to actually have to play well, but don't want it to be obnoxiously hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Tornado Lazers posted:

anyways when I got back to base to see what soldiers I had left I found this guy dutifully waiting for service

Dr. Vahlen isn't waiting for the expansion, it seems. Also, Ananda is saying that exalt is willing to take gene modding even further than this? :ohdear:

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

wilbur.walsh posted:

Only 4.8% have beaten the game on "Classic". On "Impossible" it's just measly 0.8%, with enabled "iron man" propably eben less. According to Steamachievements.

I consider myself pretty alright at XCOM but haven't been able to beat it on Ironman Classic, I'm not surprised most players haven't. I've never played it to game over though, get too attached to my mans and end up restarting when a favourite gets killed... Sold my old copy but just ordered another before EW comes out, gonna seriously try for a C/I run this time before EW and gonna finish it even if I lose.

Trying to remember the old tactics people used to talk about. Advance in a conga line, never reveal map with your last soldier, low cover = no cover so hunker down, don't be afraid to pull back to better ground, don't be stingy with explosives. That's enough right?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
To be C/I? Yeah. You don't even need to conga-line in the open. Just don't open up new visible territory with your last few soldiers, do avoid low cover at all costs, and do consider pulling back to better position if necessary. And beeline lasers.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The conga line thing only applies in Impossible really.

For Classic, you just have to remember that a 95% hit chance means a 1 in 20 chance of missing. Or in probability fallacy terms, if you're taking 20 shots, you better leave room for a miss.

Which brings in the important bit: don't play in a way where a single miss leads to a team wipe.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tornado Lazers posted:

Game sure knows how to cheer me up! His head is animated, he'll do the idle animation and "look around". I even restarted the game and he's still messed up. He is now my favorite :3:
When I first saw him it was like 3 in the morning and I was pretty tired and half asleep so I was creeped out for a minute because I wasn't sure I was dreaming or what. When I'm tired like that I sometimes get a weird dream overlay on reality/sleep paralysis type thing so it was my first assumption.

I had that bug last time I played.

Even followed him into the gym.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Ravenfood posted:

I found it easier in LW than I did in vanilla classic because of when the mission popped up. (I also last beat this mission on 1.92, so I don't know how the changes to 2.0 affect it) But the answer to every LW mission is "more rocketeers and infantry" A sergeant rocketeer gets three rockets to play with, two of them the amazing shredder rockets, and can fire them after moving. Infantry are grinding powerhouses who can shoot it out with most enemies in a straight-up fight. At least in 1.92, covering fire triggered after an enemy attacked, but also removed their cover bonus on the return shot. This meant a tactical-sense infantry, especially in smoke, can fire once on his turn for a decent shot, and then overwatch for a shot on an enemy that's basically out of cover, while probably not getting hit in return. A gamble, but often one worth taking.

So yeah, blow that train up. Saturate it with rockets. I also had a SHIV that I regularly ran around drawing fire and point-blank gunning bigger threats, which let me play a little more aggressively with everything else.

Finally managed to beat it after restarting 5-6 times. 4 dead, 3 critical. My assault had 1 friggen HP and managed to dodge everything to slam that stupid start train button (which i didn't know i had to do after i hit the last beacon).

I kind of screwed myself since i didn't realize what i was getting myself into, and didn't opt to take my tired team. (The last save i had was from an hour+ earlier).

I did saturate it with rockets, however the fact that 3 new mutons seemed to spawn every enemy turn, kind of made it a massive pain in the rear end. But i did manage to stun 2 mutons with their assault plasma guns.

That mission was extremely difficult.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you hadn't played that mission at all, let alone on LW. Mutons only airdrop in when you hit the buttons, so the easiest way to beat it is to have everyone activate the beacons on one turn, then rush for the final button while under fire.

Congrats on beating it, though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Conga line? I never did anything remotely close to whatever that is that I think it means and handle impossible just fine. If you feel like you have to cripple your fun factor just to get past I/I, well, you probably are already happy with settling for classic. :)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Veotax posted:

"Oh god, it's that guy next to me again, isn't it? Just don't look to my right, don't look to my right."

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 17, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ChronoReverse posted:

The conga line thing only applies in Impossible really.

For Classic, you just have to remember that a 95% hit chance means a 1 in 20 chance of missing. Or in probability fallacy terms, if you're taking 20 shots, you better leave room for a miss.

Which brings in the important bit: don't play in a way where a single miss leads to a team wipe.

It has always bugged me that winning on Impossible depends on either stupid gamey tactics like moving super slow and limiting your line of sight, or frequent saving.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

animatorZed posted:

Dr. Vahlen isn't waiting for the expansion, it seems. Also, Ananda is saying that exalt is willing to take gene modding even further than this? :ohdear:

TBH, it's hard for me to imagine something that Dr. Vahlen thinks is going too far. Lobster claws for hands?

EXALT LOBSTERMEN :gonk:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mortabis posted:

It has always bugged me that winning on Impossible depends on either stupid gamey tactics like moving super slow and limiting your line of sight, or frequent saving.

You could argue that tactic is basically what the real-world military would do when facing an unknown threat, play it safe and cautiously. What I hate about that tactic is that it just wastes so much of my real-world time to do that. I'm not going to dick around for half an hour just to make sure that I only activate one alien at a time, because that's unfun and boring.

Of course, the last terror mission I dealt with, I ended up finishing it up in three turns and killing seven civilians with rockets and grenades, so I suppose I may try to hurry things too much.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

SlothfulCobra posted:

You could argue that tactic is basically what the real-world military would do when facing an unknown threat, play it safe and cautiously.

Except that I know for a fact that it's not. That's called travelling overwatch in squad file formation and it's used when contact is considered unlikely, not certain as it would be in an xcom mission. Anyway the conga line isn't the issue or the fundamental tactic; the whole point is to avoid being able to see things because that way enemies don't bother you. The gameyness of it stems from the fact that enemies only "activate" once you can see them.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 17, 2013

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

TJO posted:

I consider myself pretty alright at XCOM but haven't been able to beat it on Ironman Classic, I'm not surprised most players haven't.

Those steam achievement %s are being taken out of context. Only 80% of people have finished a research project. Only 50% people have got to the titan/ghost/archangel tier of armour on ANY difficulty. 29% have completed the game on any difficulty. So approximately 1 in 6 people who have beaten the game on steam have beaten it on classic.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What surprises me is how few people managed to clear an alien crash site on classic with one soldier. Once you have someone with mind control it's not too hard, just wait for one with 5/6 enemies and away you go. I guess not that many people go for achievements but that one only took me maybe 15-20 minutes, tops.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of cheevos, does "There ain't no cavalry coming" require you use the same soldier in every map from the beginning of the game to the very end? Do you just have to designate a guy who never leaves the party and hangs back at the start to bug out in case poo poo goes to pot?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mortabis posted:

I guess not that many people go for achievements but that one only took me maybe 15-20 minutes, tops.

That's precisely what it is. Xcom achievements have a pretty good spread of neat things you could do on your own naturally through gameplay(max tech, scientist count, perfect ranking terror mission, etc) and challange run objectives(1 man clear, abduction in short speed, etc) that will never be met unless you're gunning for them.

edit:

Lotish posted:

Speaking of cheevos, does "There ain't no cavalry coming" require you use the same soldier in every map from the beginning of the game to the very end? Do you just have to designate a guy who never leaves the party and hangs back at the start to bug out in case poo poo goes to pot?

I think the most entertaining way to get that one is to play the single soldier challenge(fire everybody but 1 dude). The method you described would work, but it doesn't really impact the game in any interesting manner.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 17, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Veotax posted:

I had that bug last time I played.

I think this man might be an alien infiltrator. You should probably keep an eye on him, just to be safe.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

Yep, one guy has to be there for every mission you play.

Funnily enough I got this one completely by accident (sniper, natch).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

That's precisely what it is. Xcom achievements have a pretty good spread of neat things you could do on your own naturally through gameplay(max tech, scientist count, perfect ranking terror mission, etc) and challange run objectives(1 man clear, abduction in short speed, etc) that will never be met unless you're gunning for them.

I actually got the Wet Work achievement on a classic LongWar game. I walked into the construction yard and about 12 floaters activated at once. Two shredder rockets and a few assault rifle bursts later, and I had an achievement and a promotion for my rocketeer. I didn't even know it was an achievement. :v:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Again, speaking of achievements, I have a game save from right before the gollop chamber where I've done every interrogation but Sectoid Commander and I kinda want to get the Edison achievement. Do Sectoid Commanders ever appear after Ethereals show up?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I think packs of them will still show up on the larger UFOs.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Sigh mission 3 of slingshot seems to be uncompleatable, after the second power generator, i try and enter ether of the doors. One of the thin men during the alien discovery phase seems to jump up somewhere, and the game just sits there. Forever.

So i restarted the mission, the same problem occurs. I load the save before the mission. The same thing happens. I can't rocket them to death since i need to open the door, but opening them alerts them and they do the whole jump up and game just sits there.

Any suggestions?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mortabis posted:

Again, speaking of achievements, I have a game save from right before the gollop chamber where I've done every interrogation but Sectoid Commander and I kinda want to get the Edison achievement. Do Sectoid Commanders ever appear after Ethereals show up?

They still show up from time to time. I've found that the easiest time to capture a sectoid commander is the first time you meet him in the base mission since it's a single one and the only support he has is usually a few thin men.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mortabis posted:

What surprises me is how few people managed to clear an alien crash site on classic with one soldier. Once you have someone with mind control it's not too hard, just wait for one with 5/6 enemies and away you go. I guess not that many people go for achievements but that one only took me maybe 15-20 minutes, tops.

Can't speak for everyone but I just genuinely do not give a poo poo about achievements like this, and can't be hosed to start up another run just for getting them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

S.J. posted:

Can't speak for everyone but I just genuinely do not give a poo poo about achievements like this, and can't be hosed to start up another run just for getting them.

They're a good way to keep replays interesting. I needed a fix after seeing the XPAC news, so I started a new game to try and get Continental Fellow.

Not sure I ever would have started a game in South America if it wasn't for the achievement, but it wasn't as difficult as I expected (on Classic). Didn't have a single country leave, despite not rushing satellites. Even got Ain't No Cavalry for my trouble--got a ridiculous-even-by-sniper-standards Sniper through every mission.

Even so, I'm not looking forward to trying to beat the game with only 4 dudes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
https://twitter.com/XCOM/status/387384103869227008

No. Nonononono.

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:sbahj:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So where's the XCOM mod that allows us to exterminate all bronies?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The sanctity of the XCOM promotional twitter account has been ruined by nerd stuff, there goes my faith in humanity again.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So where's the XCOM mod that allows us to exterminate all bronies?

Look on the bright side- name your rookies those names as a hazing ritual. If they live, they get proper names. If they don't, well, having Applehat or Yellowquiet die from plasma to the face isn't the worst thing in the world.

On the even brighter side, did a quick search, still no brony mods, so the gamefiles themselves are still uncontaminated.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

S.J. posted:

I just loaded up an old save and decided to try it.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

Look on the bright side- name your rookies those names as a hazing ritual. If they live, they get proper names. If they don't, well, having Applehat or Yellowquiet die from plasma to the face isn't the worst thing in the world.

On the even brighter side, did a quick search, still no brony mods, so the gamefiles themselves are still uncontaminated.

Go to deviant art.
Type in X:Com.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

FedoraDefender420 posted:

The sanctity of the XCOM promotional twitter account has been ruined by nerd stuff, there goes my faith in humanity again.

Commander, we've found the enemy's weakness: Equestrian Cool Ranch™ Bugles and Mountain Dew: Rainbowdash Blast™. Are you all geared up for November 11th?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

TalonDemonKing posted:

Go to deviant art.
Type in X:Com.

The usual mix of 'art' and terrible fanfiction, plus that trailer, no mods that I can see...

Count Uvula posted:

Commander, we've found the enemy's weakness: Equestrian Cool Ranch™ Bugles and Mountain Dew: Rainbowdash Blast™. Are you all geared up for November 11th?

New DLC items- fedora, bow ties, Archangel armour gains wings, Psi armour gains a horn. Price- :10bux: per item.
Easy money.

Back to the game- so, general consensus is 'don't bother with LongWar'? Because I've still been trying to get through it, rolled back to Normal... it still gives me a bad end, far too many deaths, too much alien advancement, research too slow. :cripes:

Which mods aside from Implassic have the Goon Seal of :xcom: ?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Paingod556 posted:

New DLC items- fedora, bow ties, Archangel armour gains wings, Psi armour gains a horn. Price- :10bux: per item.

One down, three to go. Don't let me down, Firaxis! :smug:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Generic American posted:

One down, three to go. Don't let me down, Firaxis! :smug:

Are those actual things? Man, this expansion. I've honestly never wanted an expansion as badly as this one. I am slightly disappointed they haven't really modified the tactical layer at all, because I've never been a fan of how they handle the early->late game curve, but it's going to be amazing regardless.

Also, that's a hell of a tweet to read in the morning. :ranbowdash:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

User0015 posted:

Are those actual things? Man, this expansion.

... Not that I know of. I was being facetious.

Although the fedora makes sense, so long as they also include the tactical turtleneck from The Bureau.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Fedoras are coming with EW, IIRC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

poptart_fairy posted:

Fedoras are coming with EW, IIRC?

indeed. one of the gameplay videos featured a trooper getting customized with a fedora before going into battle

• Locked thread