Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yates posted:

The whole thing is on scribd.
Whoa. Thank you sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Not sure where to put this and didn't want to create a new thread for a quick question, but are there any apps that stream radio broadcasts of football games? I have to drive this Sunday during gametime and would prefer a game to listen to over the regular radio.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

swickles posted:

Not sure where to put this and didn't want to create a new thread for a quick question, but are there any apps that stream radio broadcasts of football games? I have to drive this Sunday during gametime and would prefer a game to listen to over the regular radio.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player It even gives you messages when games start.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Lazerbeam posted:

How many veterans will a team typically resign at the end of their contract?

Quoting for new page

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lazerbeam posted:

Quoting for new page

I can't give you the raw statistics or anything but it really depends on the team and the veteran. The Patriots are notoriously unsentimental and the Steelers will hold on to players forever, and everyone else is somewhere in the middle.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Every offseason multiple veterans' contracts come to an end. Teams typically re-sign their best veterans before that happens. But in that offseason I would say most vets whose contracts end will hit free agency and usually sign somewhere else.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Lazerbeam posted:

Quoting for new page

This is a basically unanswerable question. You have to take into consideration the ages of that player and players on the roster, who they anticipate filling the spot that would be vacated, salary requirements, cap space, restricted/unrestricted free agents, various player tags, the actual quality of the player in question, draft class, etc. Many valuable players will never hit free agency, many will have their contracts "restructured", so forth.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

I can't give you the raw statistics or anything but it really depends on the team and the veteran. The Patriots are notoriously unsentimental and the Steelers will hold on to players forever, and everyone else is somewhere in the middle.

Rap posted:

Every offseason multiple veterans' contracts come to an end. Teams typically re-sign their best veterans before that happens. But in that offseason I would say most vets whose contracts end will hit free agency and usually sign somewhere else.

Badfinger posted:

This is a basically unanswerable question. You have to take into consideration the ages of that player and players on the roster, who they anticipate filling the spot that would be vacated, salary requirements, cap space, restricted/unrestricted free agents, various player tags, the actual quality of the player in question, draft class, etc. Many valuable players will never hit free agency, many will have their contracts "restructured", so forth.

Thanks, I have a rough idea of how the end of the season will go down now. When does the thread about top college prospects usually pop up on TFF?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another important thing to note, and this has been seen changing the league throughout, is that 1st round rookies are staggeringly cheap now. You can sign a guy to 5/6 year contract for basically pocket money get 3 years to prove him to be an excellent talent and possibly still get a first back for him because there are still years left on his contract where the new team gets to pay him minimal amounts.

Given that for many teams the difference between a mediocre veteran and middling rookie are minimal expect lots of teams to start filling up on rookies on cheap contracts and trying to dump every non-lynchpin veteran on their roster.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Barudak posted:

Given that for many teams the difference between a mediocre veteran and middling rookie are minimal expect lots of teams to start filling up on rookies on cheap contracts and trying to dump every non-lynchpin veteran on their roster.

The veteran minimum salary cap offset should fix this in the mediocre veteran zone (a veteran can get up to around a 50% salary cap discount).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lazerbeam posted:

Thanks, I have a rough idea of how the end of the season will go down now. When does the thread about top college prospects usually pop up on TFF?

Bewbies usually puts that together, I think he said he was working on it.

That doesn't mean you should expect it to pop up today or whatever though, he really goes all out on those things.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Lazerbeam posted:

How many veterans will a team typically resign at the end of their contract?

CBS sports has a list of the top 100 2013 free agents. 29 re-signed with their old team, 68 signed with a new team, 2 are still free agents, and 1 retired.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
How much do superbowl tickets usually cost? Am I better off buying them early or waiting til the teams get decided? I'm planning to travel across to see it (as a UK-based Broncos fan this will be the first time I see my team play) but wondering what the cheapest way to attend it will be.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

k3nn posted:

How much do superbowl tickets usually cost? Am I better off buying them early or waiting til the teams get decided? I'm planning to travel across to see it (as a UK-based Broncos fan this will be the first time I see my team play) but wondering what the cheapest way to attend it will be.

Ummm, how much are you willing to spend? Super Bowl tickets aren't easy to come by, even if you have tons of moeny to throw around. Also, there are lots of fakes so don't buy off of craigslist.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

k3nn posted:

StubHub says they have 563 tickets left for about $3000 each. VividSeats seems to have more, starting at $2500. Good luck.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
You probably shouldn't rely on your team winning a single-elimination tournament if you're planning on a trip that involves your passport anyway.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Denver and the surrounding area (like Boulder) are going to be much more fun than New Jersey probably anyway, just go to a home game.

A lot of people who go to the super bowl aren't a fan of one of the teams, they just go because its the super bowl.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

k3nn posted:

You realize that the Broncos are not in the superbowl right

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

You realize that the Broncos are not in the superbowl right

yet

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

If there's one thing you can always count on, it's Peyton Manning in January

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Hi! My wife and I are going to a professional football game for the first time in our lives. What can we expect? We got heavily discounted endzone tickets through my work.

The game is the Eagles vs. Giants in Philadelphia. Has anyone ever been there? What's the food like? We also get a food voucher with our tickets.

I understand you can't bring even a purse into the stadium these days?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Insane Totoro posted:

Hi! My wife and I are going to a professional football game for the first time in our lives. What can we expect? We got heavily discounted endzone tickets through my work.

The game is the Eagles vs. Giants in Philadelphia. Has anyone ever been there? What's the food like? We also get a food voucher with our tickets.

Normally you should not have to expect anything beyond having fun. But since you are going to a Philly home game I would recommend bringing some kind of weapon for the half-time Thunderdome.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Normally you should not have to expect anything beyond having fun. But since you are going to a Philly home game I would recommend bringing some kind of weapon for the half-time Thunderdome.

Also, being in Philadelphia, batteries, rocks, and other small, hard projectiles stuffed in your pockets are not merely tolerated but encouraged.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

You'll be watching a rivalry game so enjoy a cascade of angry boos from all sides but it should be a pretty good matchup even if on paper/by metric the Giants are terrible. If you get lucky you'll spot the Blue-Chested New Yorker in its natural habitat of the away game.

I can't speak specifically for Philly stadium but expect the usual stadium options (beer, hot dogs, pretzels, beer, pizza, beer, beer, burger) with maybe a local philly option thrown in for good measure. If you're sitting Endzone expect to have the second best food options available to you.

You can bring a see-through bag. They'll happily sell you one for absurdly inflated prices at the front door but I'd recommend you just cut them off at the pass.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Insane Totoro posted:

If you aren't a honkey already you should consider going in white face. For your own safety.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Expect interceptions. It unfortunately hasn't gotten cold yet so you won't see Coughlin raising breast cancer awareness with the color of his face until Eli throws a few of them.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You can't concealed carry inside the stadium. Also it is a university bus. So I'm not bringing a firearm. Despite the advice of everyone in Philly.

Chichevache posted:

If you aren't a honkey already you should consider going in white face. For your own safety.

Wife is Italian. I'm Asian. I should be okay.

Barudak posted:

You'll be watching a rivalry game so enjoy a cascade of angry boos from all sides but it should be a pretty good matchup even if on paper/by metric the Giants are terrible. If you get lucky you'll spot the Blue-Chested New Yorker in its natural habitat of the away game.

I can't speak specifically for Philly stadium but expect the usual stadium options (beer, hot dogs, pretzels, beer, pizza, beer, beer, burger) with maybe a local philly option thrown in for good measure. If you're sitting Endzone expect to have the second best food options available to you.

You can bring a see-through bag. They'll happily sell you one for absurdly inflated prices at the front door but I'd recommend you just cut them off at the pass.

Thanks for the serious answer. I will bring a see through bag for the wife to carry her Nook/stuffed animals/whatever.

What do you mean by "second best" food options? How do I get the "best" without being in the VIP boxes? And is there a menu somewhere? I'm looking at the stadium website and it looks like it was made by three monkeys in 1997.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

What do you mean by "second best" food options? How do I get the "best" without being in the VIP boxes? And is there a menu somewhere? I'm looking at the stadium website and it looks like it was made by three monkeys in 1997.

Basically the nicest food stands are placed close to the end zone seating because the wealthier people can afford to sit there. So, the food will be less "fried rat on stick" but also more egregiously over-priced. If you want something cheaper you will have to walk around the stadium a bit.

As for a menu, I would recommend flagging down the concierge as he passes. Slip him a twenty for a good wine recommendation.

And who brings a gun to Thunderdome? That is prime board with nail in it time,

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

Typically food is divvied up based on what level your seats are at. The worst food (read: stadium food only) is typically top level. Bottom level where your sitting is usually the second best assortment so you'll have stadium food and likely a couple unique items/better quality things than on the top level. The mid-level typically houses all the really good stuff and mixed drinks but they'll turn you away like a prole at most stadiums if you try to get in there sans ticket.

There likely will not be a menu anywhere other than at individual food stands. Stadiums are built to repeat venue locations so outside of the mid level after about 4 or 5 stalls you've probably seen everything your floor has to offer food wise. With you and your partner expect to spend at least 20 bucks if you only eat and 40 if you plan to have an alcoholic beverage.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Insane Totoro posted:

I have been to Lincoln Financial a couple of times. The food is mostly "stadium" food. There are going to be a number of cheesesteak and pretzel-centric concessions, because Philadelphia. There are a deli and a couple of chickie and pete's. Philly arenas have gotten much better with craft beers in the last 3-4 years, so there's a good chance your "craft" beer selection isn't Shock Top and Blue Moon. I actually did not know you weren't even permitted to bring purses anymore, so no insight on that. The end zone seats are good, and you'll have a clear shot at watching the gigantic video boards.

If things go bad, the fans are more likely to boo their own team. Please ignore buffoons carrying out Philly stereotypes, I've never had an unpleasant experience at an Eagles game (except for the product on the field!! :suicide: )

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Oh that makes sense. Like a hierarchy of evil masculine culture and whatever it is people say that is bad about football? And that spills over into what food you can get?

I don't mind paying festival kind of prices. I get a food voucher like I said.

Anything good at that stadium I should get? Other than beer and pretzels?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cheese steaks obviously. I think there is a Melt Down grilled cheese place there. Apparently an Iron chef has something set up there for this season too.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cheese steaks obviously. I think there is a Melt Down grilled cheese place there. Apparently an Iron chef has something set up there for this season too.

That's Chef Jose Garces, who has like 9 restaurants in Philly or something. If you see anything from him or Stephen Starr, it's worth at least checking out.

vvv Morimoto does not have a restaurant in Lincoln Financial Field, though. (So would I)

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 18, 2013

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Badfinger posted:

That's Chef Jose Garces, who has like 9 restaurants in Philly or something. If you see anything from him or Stephen Starr, it's worth at least checking out.

If I am gonna eat at an Iron Chef restaurant in Philly I am going OG at Morimoto's :colbert:

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Sorry if this was asked, but even though I watch a ton of football I sometimes get confused by these rules:

Can someone make a comparison of NFL and college rules (if there is any difference) on when a blocked punt/PAT/FG can be advanced, depending on whether the ball passes the line of scrimmage or not? Thanks.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Tetrix posted:

Sorry if this was asked, but even though I watch a ton of football I sometimes get confused by these rules:

Can someone make a comparison of NFL and college rules (if there is any difference) on when a blocked punt/PAT/FG can be advanced, depending on whether the ball passes the line of scrimmage or not? Thanks.

You probably get a better response in the rules thread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566056

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

k3nn posted:

Come to Colorado instead of New Jersey "mate" or just stay in New York City which also is "the bollocks"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tetrix posted:

The only major difference that I'm aware of is that in the NFL, when you attempt an extra point, the ball is dead immediately it becomes obvious that the kick isn't going to score. In NCAA, it's treated the same as any other down and all kinds of fun things can happen afterwards. Line-by-line comparison to follow because I'm sure there must be something they do differently.

:siren: This is a slightly dense post, please 1st downies don't freak out too much if you have trouble getting your head round it, these are some of the hardest rules for officials to keep straight in our heads, feel free to just skip on by :siren:

Right, hello. Unfortunately, there's no short answer to this question. Kicking rules are complex and easy to gently caress up because we only get to rep using them a small fraction of the time that we get to rep using all the other rules.

So, as you know, the neutral zone is the important part. If the ball does not cross the neutral zone, Team A can do a lot of things after a scrimmage kick. They can advance it, they can throw a forward pass if they haven't already, or they can kick it again. The continuity of downs is intact, so they still have to make the line to gain to get a new series.

(Someone in NCAA this year has finally started running the trick play I predicted a couple of years back after seeing Brad Wing's precision kicks! As long as your kicker can put the ball where he's supposed to, this is a remarkably safe play because if the catcher sees he'll never make a first down, he can punt again for distance.)

Once the ball crosses the neutral zone, that's when things change. The continuity of downs is broken and Team A's series is over; they are now not allowed to touch the ball unless a Team B player touches it first. If Team A touches it first, the spot is marked with a bean bag and Team B gets the option to take possession at the spot of illegal touching; if Team A takes possession, the ball is dead and Team B will next snap it.

If Team B touches the ball after it's crossed the neutral zone without securing possession (a "muff"), then Team A is again eligible to touch the ball. If they gain possession the ball is dead, and they will have a new series of downs because the last one ended when the ball crossed the neutral zone. However, they can't advance the ball; like any free kick, a scrimmage kick that crosses the neutral zone is dead immediately when possessed by Team A.

If, however, a Team B player gains possession of the ball, that means the kick has ended; and if they then fumble, Team A can advance the ball after recovery.

:siren: That's the simple, easy bit. Honestly, you'll be good 90% of the time just knowing those principles and can safely stop reading here. :siren:

Now, if you want to understand the rules fully, there are three other things to consider. The first two are definitions; because this wouldn't be Planet Rulebook without words meaning something different to what you think they mean. "Neutral zone" is one! Most of the time it's that length-of-the-football space that's established when the ball is ready for play. However, when there is a scrimmage kick, the neutral zone expands. In NCAA it's three yards downfield, in the NFL it becomes "the general vicinity". If a Team B player in the expanded neutral zone touches the ball while trying to block the kick, his touching is considered to have occurred at the neutral zone and Team A does not become eligible to touch the ball. This allows Team B players to make an effort to block the kick (particularly field goals) while not having to worry about e.g. being pushed back over the neutral zone and touching the ball slightly beyond it.

The second one is "when the ball crosses the neutral zone". This is Planet Rulebook, so the ball has not crossed the neutral zone when it has physically travelled across the neutral zone; by rule it has not crossed the neutral zone until and unless it touches something that is beyond the neutral zone. A high kick that goes 15 yards downfield in the air and is then blown back by a strong wind has not (by rule) crossed the neutral zone, even though in the real world, it crossed the neutral zone and then came back.

The third thing is a concept called "forced touching". If you are forced to touch the ball by an opponent, that touching is ignored. Here's some situations to illustrate that:

1. Gunner A20 is blocked by B90 and falls over 10 yards downfield; the bad punt falls out of the sky and beans him on the helmet. This is not illegal touching. A20 was forced into the ball by B90's block, so the touch is ignored.

2. A20 and B90 are both blocking each other 10 yards downfield with neither player obviously in control of the contact; the bad punt falls out of the sky and beans A20 on the helmet, hits B90 in the nuts, and is then recovered by A50. Because neither player was obviously getting the worse of the contact, both touches are counted. A50's recovery is legal, but A20 has illegally touched the ball and Team B will get the ball at that spot.

3. B90 blocks A20, who falls over 10 yards downfield. As B90 throws the block, the bad punt falls out of the sky and beans him on the helmet, and then falls into A20's waiting arms. B90 was blocking, not being blocked; his touch counts, A20's recovery is legal, first down to Team A at the spot of recovery/

That all holds true for both NFL and NCAA. The one silly little difference I can find is that in the NFL, if the ball crosses the neutral zone by rule, then returns behind the neutral zone somehow, Team A can advance the ball, but the continuity of downs is intact and they need to make the line to gain. In NCAA, once it crosses by rule, it stays crossed; so theoretically, the ball could fall out of the sky, bean B90 on the head five yards downfield, fly and roll 15 yards into Team A's backfield and get recovered there by the punter; and we're setting up 1st and 10 for him again. I do love situations where you end up moving the chain backwards to set up 1st and 10 for a team...

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 18, 2013

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

k3nn posted:

In order to save yourself crushing disappointment, even though that's what being a fan of an NFL team is all about, I'd say don't plan on the Superbowl or a playoff game after the first one. Go to a home game in Denver. If you haven't been the area just west of Denver is routinely voted the most beautiful place in the US. Go to a game late in the season, then win or lose you'll know your team isn't out of it yet. Then rent a car and drive around the Rocky Mountains trying to keep your eyes on the road.

But don't go to the Broncos/Chiefs game because you don't want to travel to another country just to see your team lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

What is the significance of QB's identifying the Mike? Why the Mike? Does the player at that position change a lot?

• Locked thread